[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people like surreal anime, is it just natural for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: angel's egg.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
angel's egg.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Why do some people like surreal anime, is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?
>>
>is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?

Yes, op. That means there is still hope for you.
>>
>>143499304
>>>/v/
>>>/b/
>>
>>143499491
>>143499470
Surrealism is reality distorted. It's ugly by definition.
>>
>>143499597
yeah but it's not shit
>>
I liked Angel's Egg because of its awesome atmosphere,not its 2dee4u message or surrealism
>>
>>143499870
>its message
what message?
People always say Oshii's movies have a message but they can rarely point out what it is in a convincing way.
>>
>>143499925
Some shit about Oshii abandoning his Christian faith or some shit. At least that's what an analysis i read said.
>>
>>143499925
What?
Angel's Egg was faith and the opposition of coscious and elightened faith to blind faith based purely on practice
Patlabor literally spells it out multiple times throughout the film "just war vs. unjust peace". Plus in general the nature of terrorisma and the state.
Ghost in the Shell is about the nature of identity in a transhumanist world.
>>
>>143500046
>>143499971

those are THEMES, not MESSAGES.

Jesus fucking christ no wonder you guys call everything pretentious, you aren't even able to distinguish between "a movie is about something" and "a movie tries to tell you something".
>>
Surrealism leads to a really good atmosphere
>>
>>143500095
>"a movie tries to tell you something"

Do yourself a favour and stop thinking like this.
>>
>>143499304
>is it just natural for certain people to like ugly shit?
Well, your dad likes your mom, Anon.
And they both like you.
>>
>>143500224
Tell that to this guy >>143499870
he's the one who thinks Angel's Egg has a message, not me.
>>
>>143499597
All anime is reality distorted. Is all anime ugly?
>>
>>143499597
>Surrealism is reality distorted
Not necessarily. It's the illogical or intangible expressed through tangible means. Surrealism is best described as dreamlike.

It can be a reality distorted but even then that doesn't make it ugly. Almost all fiction is a distorted version of reality to some degree. Action movies and romance novels have people behaving differently than they would in the real world. Even physical laws relax to make way for the plot. Anime is an even more radical example for obvious reasons. But just because these things are distorted that doesn't make them ugly, in many cases it's what makes them beautiful.
>>
File: angels-egg.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
angels-egg.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>143499304
You say it's ugly, but look at that hair.
>>
>>143500479
wonderful yoshitaka hair
>>
>>143500299
You suck at reading comprehension. He already said he likes it for the atmosphere NOT the message or whatever.
>>
>>143500516
You suck at reading comprehension.
His post implies that Angel's egg has
-atmosphere
-a message
-surrealism
and that he only likes the first item.
>>
>>143499870
Dude, the surrealism is a big part of the atmosphere. You may not care about art stuff or looking artsy but thats the stuff that makes the movie cool.

oh shit this
>>143500117
>>
>>143500621
I would argue that the movie could have been almost as cool-looking without the surreal elements, because it would still have
-good direction
-gorgeous character designs
-beautiful coloring and light effects
-a great soundtrack
>>
File: whoa.png (223 KB, 372x420) Image search: [Google]
whoa.png
223 KB, 372x420
>>143500338
>>
>>143500338
Well I think most moe art styles are ugly as fuck so maybe.
>>
>>143499597
All art is reality distorted, thus all art is shit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.