[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int erest/2016-06-28/manga-a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: actual-picture.png.jpg (28 KB, 300x281) Image search: [Google]
actual-picture.png.jpg
28 KB, 300x281
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-28/manga-artist-criticizes-messages-in-pop-culture-validating-mediocrity/.103629

"Creative works that say this are lying to make sales"

Is he right /a/?
>>
He is
>>
>From the late '90s to the early 2000s, themes like "you don't have to put in effort," "you don't have to overdo it" and "you don't have to persevere" became common

straw man

also literally who?
>>
>>143434948
Who fucking cares? They're fictional stories, I read them for entertainment, not for facts. It literally does not matter if they're "lying" or not.
>>
>"Anyone anywhere anytime that say this are lying to make sales"
>>
>>143435055
He appears to be some guy who does comedies about hotels and restaurants for Shinchosha. So basically he's fucking nobody and people just love to make a big deal any time anyone complains, as always.
>>
>>143434948
His speech is a creative work that was made to make sales
>>
>>143435306
Deepest lore ever
>>
>>143435206
I googled a bit, and one of his manga had a live-action series this year that ended two weeks ago, so that's probably the only reason the original nip interview even happened.
>>
>>143434948
This fits rather nicely with the morals of Kyouran Kazoku Nikki. That is to say, KKN completely stomps over this argument.
>>
>>143435433
what's was the name of the live-action manga
>>
Well, he's not wrong.
>>
>>143435607
Saigo no Restaurant
>>
>>143434948
So on one hand he wants people to submit to the capitalist imperative and be competitive in order to be successful but on the other hand he resents those who actually do in order for their work to be successful?

Sounds like a case of schizophrenia or someone who hasn't given his ideology a whole lot of thought, as one would expect from someone who draws cartoons for a living.
>>
>>143434948
>If you look at the protagonists of manga popular in the '70s, you'll understand that it was a time where if you didn't put your life into organizations or missions or skills, you wouldn't be accepted...
Well spooked!
>>
>ITT: Butthurt lazy shits
>>
I have literally never seen the themes he is talking about.
>>
>>143434948
That's pretty much the difference between 70s/80s MC and the modern beta MC that exist more as a template to ease up the audience's fears of change and growing up.
>>
>>143436100
>>143436100
Ang I'm sure you did.
Naruto that wants to become Hokage.
Luffy that wants the rarest treasure.
Deku that wants to be the Top Hero.
Soma that wants the first seat at Tootsuki.
That's only a few from Weekly Shonen Jump. There are a lot of works about some MC aiming for the top.
>>
>>143436359
This thread isn't even going anywhere, you'd be better off shitposting in the "NOTHING'S GOING TO MAKE 10K" thread that's practically made for you.
>>
>>143436491
I meant the ones that validate mediocrity and not trying
>>
>>143436491
I haven't read BnHA, but none of the others fucking encourage mediocrity or the themes mentioned in >>143435055.
>>
>>143436551
Kono Suba
>>
>>143436671
That was a parody on isekai. The theme isn't meant to be taken seriously.
>>
>>143436723
It's also not a manga and is way more recent than what he's talking about.
>>
>>143435055
>From the late '90s to the early 2000s, themes like "you don't have to put in effort," "you don't have to overdo it" and "you don't have to persevere" became common
I can't think of a single example.
>>
I don't understand the point he is making
What did the theme of 90's to early 2000s have to do with now?
>>
File: 1463133878906.gif (474 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1463133878906.gif
474 KB, 550x550
>>143434948
He's right, why else do you think that millennials are a generation of butthurt incompetents? From cradle to panic disorder induced grave they are taught that they're special, perfect the way they are, sheltered from criticism, and never have to self-improve. It's why Colonel Sanders and his unachievable welfare state was so popular with the college kids. It's the prospect of a comfortable lifestyle with no extra effort.

That being said, he may well be projecting, because his works aren't particularly amazing, or even critical of the lovely values put forth by popular media.

Also, nice for ANN to continue to blow comments that they find 'problematic' out of proportion.
>>
>>143434948
kek
If you're not smart enough to know if the direction you're heading in life is positive or negative, realistic or unrealistic, you should kill yourself
>>
The only examples I can think of are most harems, where a half dozen chicks stumble over themselves for one dude who has nothing going for him. Most battle shounen and other series with a lot of plot reward a hardworking protagonist.
>>
>>143436873

>What do the cultural themes of 15-25 years ago have to do with the way people who are 20-35 years old see the world.

Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>143436978
I don't think harems are what he's talking about, either - most of them don't exactly harp on about being yourself or the other shit he cites.
>>
>>143436551

That new RE:Life anime. Sounds like the cringiest shit.
>>
>>143434948
Well, we could never really know someone's true intentions like that, so it's pointless in discussing. Who even is this guy?
>>
Maybe he's butthurt about Osomatsu.

It's not like anyone holding that life philosophy wants people to strive for themselves but for some nominal job goals where you advance by aging.
>>
>>143437143
>Who even is this guy?
Your daddy
>>
File: 42.png (205 KB, 357x343) Image search: [Google]
42.png
205 KB, 357x343
>artist is a talentless hack himself at the bottom of the food chain
>>
>>143436971
>butthurt incompetents
We will talk after your boss decide to hire Pajeet in your place because he'll work for half you wage.
>>
>>143436971
>WORDS WORDS WORDS

Here's you (You)

Millennials are a generation that finally realized that spending your entire life making other people rich but still not being able to afford healthcare, food, children, or a day off means you're being fucked over.
>>
>>143437125
Sounds like you've never read it.
>>
>>143436971
>millennials
How old are you?
>>
>>143437293
It is fucking terrible from what others told me
>>
Glad I wasn't born in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po8IPh64rVM
>>
>>143437234
>>143437262

When your reaction to policies that encourage the exploitation of cheap third-world labor and harsher working conditions is to sit in your basement and languish in hedonism rather than putting in the effort for cultural and societal reforms, than it's telling of your character and your sense of entitlement.
>>
>>143437418
>entitlement
What entitlement? I don't fucking deserve anything for free, but if I can get it for free I will.
>>
>>143437262
Yet millennials were the biggest group of people who voted for England to remain in EU, you know, the deal that fucks over everyone by importing cheap ass labour to make the "capitalist pigs" rich.
>>
>>143437467
>biggest group
No they didn't with 30% of people going to vote in their age range, they are about 10% of the problem.
>>
>>143437418
>Assholes exporting jobs to avoid paying people for their work is somehow the fault of the people demanding they be paid for their work.

What now?
>>
>>143437538
I saw a screenshot from reddit where one of them claimed his friend was so certain on 'remain' that they didn't vote.

They are generation cancer.
>>
>>143437418
Why the fuck are you even here? Seriously, this is like the last place you should be if you dislike the idea of hedonists sitting in their basements and disengaging with society. Go to some other site if you want upstanding citizens of robust character.
>>
>>143437595
Cancer doesn't appear out of nowhere.
>>
>>143437467
That's not a Millennial problem as much as it is a English problem. This is the same nation that butchered its way across the earth because they thought the were entitled to everyone else's stuff.

tl;dr English are a culture of sociopaths, it's not the kids fault.
>>
>>143436971
I bet you're also a millennial
>>
>>143437756
>Enter thread related to both politics and anime
>Complain about politics
>>
>>143437756
No thank you, I'm fine here.
>>
>>143437797
It's related to social messages in manga, not to the fucking UK leaving the EU or the outsourcing of work to Indians.
>>
>>143437860
It's about how fucking useless Generation Snowflake is and that it's spread to Japan as well.
>>
>>143437797
>it mentions hard work so it's related to politics
This attitude is why you get redirected.
>>
>>143437895
>Generation Snowflake
Fuck off
>>
I'd say I'm pretty familiar with anime and manga, but I've never heard of this author or any of his works
>>
>>143438030
Yeah your generation is shit
>>
>>143435055
>>143436819
classical shounen
>work hard and put effort and follow your dreams

cheat isekais
>only those with innate "cheats" can become something in life

his exemple
>?????

I also don't, actually
>>
>/a/ thread based ANN article based on Yaraon blog post based on 2ch thread based on some literally who's twitter

We've reached critical irrelevance.
>>
>>143439763
well we have reached it efficiently
>>
>>143439763
We are still relevance

Nothing can break us or apart with 4chan
>>
File: mark-zuckerberg.jpg (56 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
mark-zuckerberg.jpg
56 KB, 500x535
>>143434948

In modern society human dont need persevere or be number one, they are just gears or tools of the machine that exist for Consumerism.

Why we need "Ganbaru", they thanks to Universal Basic income dont need work anymore because it´s the ultimate prize of mediocrity?

>>143435701

it´s similar to Soma with about this Waitress
>>
File: vlcsnap-00484.jpg (161 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00484.jpg
161 KB, 1280x720
Japan should make Saigo Anime if want burn "to do your best" ideas in the audience.

https://hamsapsukebe.blogspot.mx/2016/06/saigo-no-restaurant-eps-1-6.html
>>
>>143439236
Where does Eva fall on this list?
I mean he was forced to pilot the robot out of his will and he did rejected turning into a volume of liquid to try his best on living
>>
>>143435055
I think he's talking about "hiding powerlevels" in shounen. Where someone is overpowered, doesn't work hard and generally pretends or hides his power level for questionable reasons, baiting bullies into unwinnable fights.

A lot of reborn in other world stories work this way.

the only other genre I can think of this occurring would be shoujo manga. Usually shounen is about plucky underdogs who work hard and power up because of it.
>>
File: take a chill pill bruh.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
take a chill pill bruh.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>143434948
Ganbarimasu!
Nippon Banzai!
Moeru Burnning Spirit!
Rokkon Shojo!

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT!
TRY UNTIL YOU SUCCEED!

>ignoring that fact that has been proven wrong with scientific research in the last 20 years

Yup. We better go back to forcing kids to go to cram school for 4 hours after 8 hours of school so they can go to a good highschool where they'll spend 8 hours and then a further 4 hours in cram school so they can get in a good university.
All so they can get a "better" dead end desk job in the end.

Nippon Banzai, in - deeed.
>>
>>143441753
That's the opposite of validating mediocrity. Some jackass with special privileges coasting by sure as hell isn't settling for being mediocre.
>>
>>143439763
Isn't that how we get all of our news, minus the people who learn moon and read Yaraon?
Contemporary 2ch is too cancerous to read directly, Twitter is too diffuse to keep track of, and Futaba communicates entirely with emoticons and lewdposting.
>>
/a/ is dumping on this guy, but he has a point. Remember when Shinbo (around the time Salami was airing) was defending the NEET and Hikki lifestyle solely because he recognized they made up the majority of his audience? The complete lack of integrity is remarkable, even by the almost nonexistent standards of the entertainment industry.
>>
"You're not a special snowflake, fall into line or you're worthless"

This is the same horseshit japanese eastern asian mindset that's bringing these people into poverty, mediocrity and drone lifestyle. Why the fuck would the rest of the world bother to keep listening to this trash when they all manage to live better lifestyles already without falling into cookie cutter bullshit like this?
>>
>>143443197
>how we get all of our news
And now you know why /a/ is filled with misinformation and constantly parrots bullshit.
>>
>>143436971
>why else do you think that millennials are a generation of butthurt incompetents?

Because our education is shit?
>>
>>143437364
Just read it and make your own conclusions. Just because some anons don't liked it doesn't mean that it's bad (unless we're talking about a LN).
>>
>>143443423
>"You're not a special snowflake, fall into line or you're worthless"

Apparently it's the cold hard truth
>>
>>143437418

> rather than putting in the effort for cultural and societal reforms

Because you get called a lazy fuck if you want to change minimum wage standards. Said reforms would take decades to write up and slowly get passed. Those in office will fight tooth and nail to stop said changes because of lobbying look at fucking OWS, a similar sort of 'commoner' thing had movement for a while then just faded away. Either due to weathering the noisy storm and waiting for them to get bored of calling for change or because they're just discredited/not covered in the popular news stream.

Without the base connections, money or power you'll need to rely on harassing sympathetic politicians to take it up, which again you'd just be one of hundreds of 'proposals' they receive every year.
>>
>>143435055
If anything Japanese media pushes the opposite, that you need to work hard to unlock more potential.
>>
>>143437895
The fact that retards like you interpret every social development in Japan like it grew from its nearest Western counterpart is a good a reason as any other to ban discussion of it entirely.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.