[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gothicmade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: gothicmade.png (367 KB, 723x1024) Image search: [Google]
gothicmade.png
367 KB, 723x1024
>The film debut in Japan on November 1, 2012.

Wait now, where are the subs for this? Maybe I'm just a slowpoke since I just found out about this an hour ago, but why has nobody said anything about this movie yet?
>>
>>143283981
>why has nobody said anything about this movie yet?
Because you're slowpoke that doesn't know anything about this 4 years old movie, that's why.
>>
>>143283981
Because there's no available rip, raw or subbed. Can't talk about it if we an't see it. Probably not that good anyway, though I heard it looks gorgeous.
>>
File: gtm-rain.gif (1 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
gtm-rain.gif
1 MB, 356x200
>>143284642
Are you shitting me? It's been 4 years, I'm sure someone must have ripped the BD by now.
>>
>>143284821
>someone must have ripped the BD
>ripped the BD
>BD
He doesn't know.
>>
>>143284821
There's nothing to rip, my friend.
>>
>>143284821
Are you stupid? This movie was never released in any domestic format, there is no BD, DVD, LD, VHS or whatever.
>>
>>143284862
>>143284911
>>143284965
Well fuck. Why is there no BD then? Did it get banned from theaters or something?
>>
>>143284821
There is no BD the only way to watch it is in theathers were it occasionally still is screened when Nagano feels like it.
>>
>>143285100

Why does Nagano have to be visually interesting as fuck but super fucking egotistical about his work?
>>
File: gtm-storyboards.jpg (159 KB, 355x500) Image search: [Google]
gtm-storyboards.jpg
159 KB, 355x500
>>143285035
It was screened in 4K with 9.1 ch Dolby Surround sound, neither of which can be compressed onto a standard BD without distorting the quality. At least that's what I've heard.

Also, Gothicmade is a side-story to Five Star Stories, which is a very long-running manga series written by Mamoru Nagano. There's also this whole mess involving retcons that I don't even want to get into.

>>143285139
He's fucking nuts. He more or less single-handedly made this movie himself.
>>
>>143285035
No, but it seems (no proof) that the man who made it (he almost literally made it hiself) does not want it on home media. It still gets randomly screened once in a while.
>>
File: 1.gif (185 KB, 818x838) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
185 KB, 818x838
It only gets aired when they have enough requests. And all the critics I've seen were extremely positive.
>>
>>143285291
>It was screened in 4K with 9.1 ch Dolby Surround sound, neither of which can be compressed onto a standard BD without distorting the quality. At least that's what I've heard.

That sounds plausible I guess. But why didn't the producers bring it to the west at least? Through something like Funimation.

I heard about FSS but I don't really care much about reading manga, and the 80s movie looked too dated for me to bother watching.

>He more or less single-handedly made this movie himself.

Didn't Shinkai and a bunch of other animators pull the same shit? Seems to be the norm for arthouse projects like this.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU5pMBLfobk

It looks well made... but I'm not sure they had all a big studio can offer.
>>
Because Nagano has the only copy and he doesn't want to invite anyone over to watch
>>
File: nagano-watching-gtm.jpg (527 KB, 850x1169) Image search: [Google]
nagano-watching-gtm.jpg
527 KB, 850x1169
>>143285632
We know it exists and he has watched it, at least.
>>
>>143285291
>It was screened in 4K with 9.1 ch Dolby Surround sound, neither of which can be compressed onto a standard BD without distorting the quality.
Ye age olde solution since the times of VCD: multiple discs. I'm pretty damn sure I own a copy of Saving Private Ryan on a two cassette VHS even.
>>
File: gothicmade1.jpg (109 KB, 624x338) Image search: [Google]
gothicmade1.jpg
109 KB, 624x338
>>143285589
The art is good and there's certainly a lot of blink-and-you-miss-it detail packed into the animation, at least from what we see in the trailers. Stuff like the robot's eye-cover things moving with the eyeball, the missile that separates into two separate components, etc. But it doesn't really come across as having the cinematic feel of a Ghibli or Hosoda movie for some reason.
>>
It'll get a home media release someday, don't worry about it.

The only thing stopping a BD successor from emerging right now is the BD player industry.
>>
>>143285533
>But why didn't the producers bring it to the west at least? Through something like Funimation.

Because FUCKING NAGANO. That's the only explanation. The guy hates leaving it to others to handle his material. It's also part of the reason why we still don't have all of FSS fully translated yet here in the US. And don't get me started on his policy when it comes to toys and kits of FSS. He's allergic to money.

>the 80s movie looked too dated for me to bother watching.

Shame on you, the 80s movie is a piece of art. Almost DYRL-tier in terms of animation. Go watch it.

>Didn't Shinkai and a bunch of other animators pull the same shit? Seems to be the norm for arthouse projects like this.

The entire movie was hand-drawn with no CGI. So no, this is a much more monstrous endeavor than any one of those CGI filter projects by Shinkai. It took 6 whole years to finish animating, though there weren't that many animators if the ANN credits are to be trusted.
>>
>>143285533
>Didn't Shinkai and a bunch of other animators pull the same shit?
Shinkai did it with one semi short movie.
Take the anon's 'more or less single-handedly' with a grain of salt though.
He didn't draw/animate everything himself like Shinkai for Hoshi no Koe.
>>
>>143283981
Fuck off, newfag.
>>
>>143285992
>He didn't draw/animate everything himself like Shinkai for Hoshi no Koe.
He didn't? I've never seen anyone else's name credited for animation.

>>143285533
>not watching gorgeous stuff because you think it looks "dated"
>thinking that producers bringing a niche movie to the West is more likely than it getting a BD release
>not caring about manga
>thinking making movies yourself is the norm for any kind of anime
Where the fuck do people like this crawl out from?
>>
File: Ghibli_bc35db_5479940.jpg (34 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
Ghibli_bc35db_5479940.jpg
34 KB, 520x390
>>143285986
>Because FUCKING NAGANO. That's the only explanation. The guy hates leaving it to others to handle his material. It's also part of the reason why we still don't have all of FSS fully translated yet here in the US. And don't get me started on his policy when it comes to toys and kits of FSS. He's allergic to money.

Damn, the more I hear about Nagano from here and /m/ the more I realize he's an even nuttier version of Hayao "no cuts" Miyazaki.
>>
>>143286049
>Where the fuck do people like this crawl out from?

You'd be surprised. He's like the Jojofags who never saw the 90s OVAs nor read the manga because "MUH DATED STYLE" and only watch the DP anime.
>>
>>143285533
If you don't give a shit about FSS then you shouldn't give a shit about Gothic either.

>don't really care much about reading manga,
>looked too dated for me to bother watching.
FAGGOT.

>>143286205
>>143286049
Anime only fags are truly the worst.
>>
>>143286049
>Where the fuck do people like this crawl out from?

That's the mentality of most western anime fags. The ones who browse Crunchyroll, post on Reddit and Youtube, and think SAO and OPM are the greatest anime ever.
>>
>>143286205
>>143285986
To be fair to Nagano, he was releasing FSS in the US himself for a long time. And if the afterwords on the volumes are to be believed, apparently it didn't do very well and people kept shitting on them for not mirroring because the West was still retarded, so I guess his autism served us well on that front.
>>
>>143286305
>people kept shitting on them for not mirroring
Well at least he didn't compromise on his integrity, he may be batshit, but I have to respect him for that.
>>
>>143286305
>apparently it didn't do very well and people kept shitting on them for not mirroring because the West was still retarded

I heard that it was because each volume was split into three parts and were generally impossible to find in most bookstores. They were never sold in places like B&N, probably because Nagano's publisher didn't have the power to place them there.
>>
>>143285589
So, SO inferior to the Five Stars Stories movie.
It's like some pilot with vague cultish innuendos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgYQqD1Nbqw
>>
>>14328578
It's cheap. The robots animation for example. It's not the 'slide and transform', detailed, smooth work we're used to. Suddenly, a part has moved somewhere else, like 'clang'. Obviously less frames and less work even if they certainly would try to pretend it's only 'different'.
>>
>>143286529
This is actually one of the most expensive OVAs ever made. Its production was almost entirely funded by one millionaire who liked Nagano's stuff. Then Nagano shat all over it and refused to let anyone else work on his stuff because it his crazy.
>>
File: bang-doll.jpg (422 KB, 1150x823) Image search: [Google]
bang-doll.jpg
422 KB, 1150x823
>>143286529
It's not exactly a fair comparison though. The FSS movie was animated by Sunrise's finest animation team (Studio 1) at the peak of cel animation, with some of the best animators in the industry at the time (like Satoshi Urushihara). Gothicmade is almost a solo project that doesn't even have a reputable studio behind it. But compared to modern anime movies, it holds up pretty well visually, at least from what we see in the trailers.

It is a shame that the rest of FSS didn't get another high-quality animation in the 90s like that movie, but that's how those one-shot manga adaptations go.
>>
>>143286608
It was funded by Haruki Kadokawa, the president of Kadokawa at the time, which was the publishing company for FSS and Newtype. The movie only served as a one-shot advertisement for the manga, much like Gunm. Said president later got arrested in the mid-90s for smuggling cocaine, which led to a shit-ton of issues for the company.

Nagano also didn't hate the movie, he hated that no one asked for his input. Regardless, his opinion had no effect on the movie's production or any sequels.
>>
>>143286608
Which movie are you speaking about?
>>
>>143286710
Pretty sure he was referring to the old FSS movie.
>>
File: gothicmade-arms.gif (2 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
gothicmade-arms.gif
2 MB, 700x394
>>143286588
>The robots animation for example. It's not the 'slide and transform', detailed, smooth work we're used to. Suddenly, a part has moved somewhere else, like 'clang'. Obviously less frames and less work even if they certainly would try to pretend it's only 'different'.

I don't know if its less frames, but the way the robots move is a lot more mechanical and less human than the old movie. It almost looks like flash animation at first, but it's strangely detailed and smooth when you look at it frame by frame; none of the parts "warp" like what you would see on a normal mecha's limbs. The trailer is also missing any kind of scene where it rotates its body or does some kind of action to give itself depth. I want to see the full scene before I make any judgement (if Nagano would ever let anyone watch it), but it's really strange.
>>
>>143286850
Well me too, no way I would have called that movie a 'pilot'. Nagano hating it or not isn't even the problem.
>>
>>143286127
Didn't he literally design >>143287151
with those ridiculous proportions so that no one could make models of it?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.