[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we agree Chimera Ant is the best arc Shounen has to offer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 45
So can we agree Chimera Ant is the best arc Shounen has to offer?
>>
yeah man
>>
>>143085900
So what episode does it start at? I cbf watching the whole series.
>>
>>143085900
>Nobody can make a simple action without the narrator explaining it for 5+ minutes
No
>>
>>143086033
Episode 76.
>>
>>143085900
Lead up and execution of Merum vs Old guy was top tier
>>
>>143086052
this

it made battle tendency look casual in comparison to how much it explained every damn move
>>
>>143086052

This. The pacing in the arc was atrocious at times. I enjoyed Yorknew City more.
>>
>>143085900
This arc is absolutely fucking atrocious and caused the first time I dropped the series, the second time was the current arc. The Chimera Ant arc has 1-2 good fights and everything else is garbage.
>>
>>143086052
>>143086165
In the anime, maybe it sucked. But in the manga it was pretty damn intense.
>>
>>143086068
thx fampai

>>143086227
Appaz it's good because it's full of interesting moral/political dilemmas, not because of the fight scenes.

If you want good fight scenes watch OPM.
>>
File: Komugi.png (315 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Komugi.png
315 KB, 500x500
>>143085900
Supreme Leader is in it so yes.
>>
File: .....jpg (40 KB, 430x451) Image search: [Google]
.....jpg
40 KB, 430x451
>>143086125
Old Guy....Get the fuck out of here. Bet you only watched the show for the fights huh?
>>
>>143086260
>Appaz it's good because it's full of interesting moral/political dilemmas, not because of the fight scenes.
I don't need good fight scenes, I just hate the current plot and direction its heading. The story telling became an absolute mess since the Chimera Ant arc, especially during the whole wish side story and the election. I just find the whole premise of the current arc fucking boring and just feels like the author blatantly just didn't know what the fuck to do next.

>If you want good fight scenes watch OPM.
The fact that thats what you recommend to me instead of series with far greater fight scenes is disappointing, anon.
>>
Nigga you retarded, Chimera Ant was some gay ass shit. 60 fucking episodes for a plot line that coulda been resolved in 25 if fags didn't stand around crying like little bitches.
>>
>>143085900
>Ugly, uninteresting antagonists
>Forced, unbelievable love story between the Meruem and genderbent Killua
>Glacial pacing compounded by endless exposition
>Trite, uninspired training arc right in the middle which kills the narrative's momentum
>Boring fights (outside of Netero vs. Meruem)

CA arc was merely "okay". It's largely overrated by people who think it's the deepest shit ever just because it explores "mature" themes.

Yorknew was better.
>>
imho, gon vs pitou was the best fight in the entire series. Shit gave me chills.
>>
>>143086421
>>uninteresting antagonists
haha what
>>
>>143086421
Its made even worse if you read it as it was published and dealt with hiatus after hiatus after hiatus. Literally several hiatuses during the big climactic fight between Netero and totally not Cell.
>>
>>143086429
>fight

it was basically just super saiyan Gon smashing the ever loving shit out of Pitous lifeless corpse after the first hit. He was so powerful he barely even flinched getting his damn arm cut off.
>>
>>143085900
>HxH
>best anything
I know this is the HxH circlejerk thread, but still

you don't have to be blind
>>
>>143086421
Agree with all your points except these two
>>
>>143086465
They are, hell I struggle to even remember their names and I read that arc twice.

>>143086429
That fight was fucking horrible. It was literally "we can't find a way for them to beat Pitou so here is super saiyan Gon who just wins". The best fight is between Knuckle and that really big bug, whats his face.
>>
Pitou best girl.
>>
>>143086586
Indeed she is.
>>
>>143086313

for what else are you watching a fucking shounen boy?
>>
File: 1449712031529.jpg (1 MB, 2360x1418) Image search: [Google]
1449712031529.jpg
1 MB, 2360x1418
>>143086565
>They are, hell I struggle to even remember their names
That explains why you dislike such an ambitious and brilliant arc then.

>It was literally "we can't find a way for them to beat Pitou so here is super saiyan Gon who just wins".
Retard
>>
File: 1456939163152.jpg (662 KB, 1624x2252) Image search: [Google]
1456939163152.jpg
662 KB, 1624x2252
>>143086618
>HxH
Deep themes and character development.
>>
>>143086565
If you're talking about that being an asspull, it's really not. Many characters throughout past arcs have highlighted how dangerous Gon was, it was only a matter of time before he went apeshit. And that point was the best time to do it.
>>
>>143086630
>That explains why you dislike such an ambitious and brilliant arc then.
Alright hotshot, explain whats so "ambitious" and "brilliant" of a hackneyed arc with shit pacing, uninspired ideas, and just really shitty fights. Knuckle and Morau were the only good things to come from this garbage arc.

>Retard
Somebody is getting a bit excited that bedtime is a little later during summer.
>>
>>143086693
>it was focused on the character psychology and themes of human nature instead of generic shonenshit fighting so the pacing is shit
>>
>>143085900
It was bretty good, but slow as fuck
>>
>>143086679
And he did it through a power that was a complete asspull and experienced absolutely no consequences outside of being in bed for a few days and temporarily losing his nen thanks to stupid wish arc. There is nothing good about that stupid moment, it just suddenly happened with no warning that it was even a possibility.

And that form also looked retarded.
>>
>>143086754
>it was focused on the character psychology and themes of human nature instead of generic shonenshit fighting so the pacing is shit
Whose? It was still generic shonenshit to the absolute extreme.
>>
>>143086774
>And he did it through a power that was a complete asspull
See >>143086630

>experienced absolutely no consequences outside of being in bed for a few days and temporarily losing his nen
Permanently losing his nen

>There is nothing good about that stupid moment
Except for being thematically powerful and the apex of Gon's character development throughout CA

>And that form also looked retarded.
It's supposed to, Togashi is showing how fucked up the "Super Saiyan" trope is.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
I think the real question here is, is there a better shounen arc than CA?
>>
It made me genuinely give a shit about a character with such a shitty design as Meruem, and that's impressive for me.
>>
>>143086421
Without mentioning how retarded it is to bring a word as subjective as "interesting" in a discussion, what did you find uninteresting about them?
>Forced, unbelievable love story
The romance was barely implied, that's the literal opposite of forced and unbelievable.
>Glacial pacing compounded by endless exposition
Kite dies 15 chapters in and the invasion is over in less than 30. The pacing was actually pretty good, unless you're talking about the abomination that was the anime.
>training arc
There was literally no training shown and it also switched perspectives to other things going on to not kill the momentum. They even skipped 2 of the 4 fights.
>Boring fights
Again, boring is such a subjective statement it's not worth bringing up.

CA arc has such glaring flaws that never get brought up and instead idiots keep complaining about non-issues or things that are plainly false. Someone explain this to me.
>>
>>143086867
Part 4
>>
>>143086871
it's pretty incredible how we follow his growth from his birth to his death
>>
>>143086871
there's something to be said about him experiencing human kindness in komugi and then human cruelty with the rose I guess
>>
>>143086881
>CA arc has such glaring flaws
I'm interested, what did you consider flaws in CA? It's easily the best shounen arc I've seen.
>>
>>143086465
>haha what
You heard me. Meruem is the only character that can be called interesting, and even his development is forced as hell. Youpi is the typical "honorable brute" archetype you've seen in every other shounen manga, Pitou's only defining character trait is being bloodthirsty and Pouf is just a yandere. You can't even accuse me of being reductionist; those are their defining traits. They're just a typical battle shounen miniboss/henchman squad. Their only interesting aspect is their devotion to the king. The fodder ants aren't worth mentioning; they can barely be called characters and their ridiculous character designs made it difficult to take them seriously.

What is it about this arc that inspires such rabid defense? Is the bar for battle shounen set set so low that anything even slightly thought-provoking is called a masterpiece?
>>
>>143086774
>it just suddenly happened with no warning that it was even a possibility.
Gon characterization as a reckless fool,adrenaline junkie and suicidal maniac is carefully unfolded throughout the series.
Morel even commented that he's utterly insane when he tested him.
Nen contracts are also a thing.Kurapika was capable of taking down guys that can wipe the floor with the 90% of all current hunters.
You didn't have a problem with that because you need everything explained to you like a fucking shonen babby.
>>
>>143086945
>Is the bar for battle shounen set set so low that anything even slightly thought-provoking is called a masterpiece?
I don't get why the bar for shounen is being thought provoking anyways. The entire genre is about fighting, why should the defining quality of it be story, politics and drama rather than shit like animation, choreography and fight creativity?
>>
>>143086997
Not to mention the most obvious one that was setup before CA, Kurapika and the Spiders. Kurapika was arguably even more OP than Gon was against Chrollo and Uvogin.
>>
>>143086945
>these at their defining traits, e-except for that other defining trait that's presented and explored differently for each character, but that doesn't cause, because.
>>
>>143086945
>What is it about this arc that inspires such rabid defense?
Gray morality, thought-out parallels, amazing symbology, huge character development, guerrilla warfare, politics and a beautiful ending.
Of course, you couldn't expect a simple-minded shitposter who can't see how in depth was the Royal Guards' development to see this.
>>
File: qwe.jpg (46 KB, 449x376) Image search: [Google]
qwe.jpg
46 KB, 449x376
>>143087101
Who are you quoting? And stop stutter-typing, it's not helping your argument.
>these at their defining traits, e-except for that other defining trait that's presented and explored differently for each character
None of which are developed or explored in a meaningful way.
>Gray morality, thought-out parallels, amazing symbology, huge character development, guerrilla warfare, politics and a beautiful ending.
Thanks, I needed the laugh.
>>
File: Rose.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Rose.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>143087177
Firstly, the mushroom cloud is a visual shortcut for any audience – particularly a Japanese audience – for nuclear detonation. Hunter x Hunter manages to keep the visual and elevate it, creating a deeper emotional resonance. The cloud blossoms outward while the effects, both physical and psychological, are felt by Pouf and Youpi, even at a great distance.

This is aided by the Meruem’s exit from the molten blast zone, cradled in Youpi’s arms. Previously, the series had gone great lengths to show the difference in power between Netero (one of the most powerful humans to be introduced in the series) and Meruem. Therefore, the bomb is immediately recognized in-universe and by the audience, as something with incredible power, enough power to reduce the most powerful being in the world, Meruem, to a burnt husk.

Secondly, as you touch upon, a nuclear weapon becomes a pure expression of humanity. Meruem states that Netero will die alone while he, being the Chimera Ant King, holds the wish of his people in everything he does. His body was made for the express purpose of furthering the Chimera Ants, and every action Meruem takes is supposed to affirm this mission. To Meruem, Netero appears to be alone when Netero actually carries the wishes of humanity in every action. So much so, that, as you say, Netero’s use of it is hardly a reflection of humanity at its worst, but rather a duty he must perform for the preservation of the human race.

Additionally, Hunter x Hunter had previously shown Netero’s devotion as an individual. Scraps of flashbacks show us that he honed his power through a ritual of 1,000 prayers and punches, exemplifying his overwhelming gratitude to the martial arts that he loved. The Poor Man’s Rose becomes his final benediction in one life dedicated to both destruction and creation. A final prayer and punch giving thanks to the love of his life.
>>
>>143085900
No. Most HxH slowreaders agreed that Yorkshin arc is the best.
>>
>>143087285
>idiots who read less than 100 wpm prefer yorkshin because they grew frustrated half way though chimera ants and gave up
sounds about right
>>
>>143085900
this is a terrible meme
>>
What was the deal with that wierd censorship in the beginning of the chimera ant arc?
There doesn't seem to be any scans without it. Iit was just a handful of panels (corpse of the dictator of NotNorthKorea, monkey ant fight, Cheetu's finger collection) and it was the first and last time they ever censored something.
It was inconsequential as fuck.
>>
>>143085900
I guess you haven't seen Stain arc
>>
>>143087509
If you mean the Boku Hero Academia one, that arc was shit.
>>
>>143086754

Not who you are responding to, but I liked the character development. It was all the long-winded explanations mid-battle that killed the pacing for me, especially when the final assault on the palace began. Maybe the manga is paced better, but I was watching the show on a friend's recommendation and there's a huge problem when it takes four episodes to explain 10 seconds of action.

I really liked the Chimera Ants themselves, though.
>>
>>143087509
I like BnHA but you cant compare it to HxH

Yorkshin alone is better than all hero academia arcs
>>
>>143087579
As someone who doesn't care about action and loved how much detail we had into every character's thought processes, I loved it. The part right before Knuckle hits Youpi shows that Togashi was self aware about it too.
>>
File: 0270-003.jpg (78 KB, 750x1066) Image search: [Google]
0270-003.jpg
78 KB, 750x1066
>>143087245
Throwing empty, vague statements as criticism already showed how much of a retarded pseudo intellectual you are but the "thanks i needed the laugh" with the smug picture you tried to pass as an argument really cemented you as a complete braindead nigger.
>>
>>143087666

Something like that works better when read, in my opinion. When you're watching a show, it just feels disruptive when the action is paused so frequently. That said, I should probably read it once I clear up my backlog a bit more. Maybe the middle will feel less tedious that way, because I really enjoyed the beginning and the end.
>>
>>143087022
HxH has all of those.
>>
>>143087509
Arcs in BnHA right now are little more than a handful of chapters strung together under a loose theme or enemy.
>>
Fuck the octopus.
>>
>>143085900
I could potentially agree with that if DC wasn't shaping up to be even grander
>>
>>143087863
Don't worry, we've got a few months to spend on a boat to kill that hype!
>>
>>143087863
Plotwise, yes. But so far we don't have any indication of what DC will be about thematically.
>>
If I said there is a blank paper in the box, you then open the box and see a blank paper, then I fulfilled what you expected, you can't find any errors, flaws in my statement, therefore it is 10/10.

And now I say there is a story with a fascinating , solid power system, amazing writing, tight logic in the box, then you open the box but the inside doesn't match your expectation, of course you will be disappointed, and maybe eventually grow some hate for it.

That's why SoL anime is so likable but despite having no real content, while HxH met a lot of criticizing.
>>
>>143087884
if hisoka's on the boat he would maintain the hype throughout
>>
>>143087921
>fascinating , solid power system, amazing writing, tight logic in the box
You just described HxH.
>>
>>143087922
>princes all trying to murder each other on the boat
>at the same time Hisoka is trying to murder all the spiders on the boat

could be interesting
>>
>>143087951
ofc i did, but my point is not everyone can realize why HxH has flaws, but should be tolerated, because it is the price of having so many great contents.
>>
File: UvovsLeech.png (58 KB, 395x328) Image search: [Google]
UvovsLeech.png
58 KB, 395x328
Not even the best Arc of Hunter x Hunter.
>>
>>143088119
the "Kurapika's now a psychopath" Arc
>>
>>143088119
You mean the most overrated Arc of Hunter x Hunter.
>>
>>143088137
I always thought psychopath is something you born with?
>>
File: uvo.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
uvo.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>143088236
Kurapika wasn't going to let that stop him
>>
File: yusuke.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
yusuke.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>>143088208
>You mean the most overrated Arc of Hunter x Hunter.
Wrong, or else he would have posted a picture from the Chimera Ant arc.
>>
File: 1465480468599.jpg (17 KB, 242x251) Image search: [Google]
1465480468599.jpg
17 KB, 242x251
>>143088119
Hey Spiders,
My name is Hisoka, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are delusional, retarded, no-lifes who spend every second of their day following order from Chrollo. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever tried to fight me 1v1? I mean, I guess it’s fun being an order-following grunt because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to Gon x Killua pictures on facebook.
Don’t be a powerup tool. Just hit me with your best nen. I’m pretty much perfect. I have the power of both rubber AND gum, and was starter on my dodgeball team. What sports do you play, other than “jack off to naked drawn Chrollo doujins”? I also go on fun killing missions with Illumi, and have a banging hot slave (She just stiched me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.
Pic Related: It’s me and my bitch
>>
File: 1464491993921.png (60 KB, 353x310) Image search: [Google]
1464491993921.png
60 KB, 353x310
>>143088964
>She just stiched me; Shit was SO cash
>>
>>143085900
The arc was pretty epic, but Merum and the other 2 guards getting rekt by Flower-Atomic-Bomb was an absolute OP ending
>>
YYH >>>>> HxH though.
>>
File: Killua_misses_his_target.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Killua_misses_his_target.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
Killua is cute!
>>
>>143092419
hope that edgy mary sue dies soon
>>
Pouf best ant
>>
>>143091506
no, it's not even close
>>
>still no viz chapter

samuraikatana1 please
>>
>>143086945
The fuck you saying. Every royal guard had an evolution in their personality, not as great as Meruem though, but it looks that you failed to see that. And of course there were "fodder ants", but Welfin and Ikalgo had character development and even the fucking lobster had some.
>>
File: 1466422687825.png (39 KB, 272x212) Image search: [Google]
1466422687825.png
39 KB, 272x212
This arc was so fucking slow but it's probably because i was only reading the manga and the updates during the arc were atrocious.
>>
File: air-gear-1575627.jpg (169 KB, 750x1139) Image search: [Google]
air-gear-1575627.jpg
169 KB, 750x1139
>>143085900
Air Gear first arcs.
>>
>>143094575
>Air Gear
>mangareader
>namefag
report and ignore folks
>>
>>143086168
I liked it and thought the narration added a lot of drama
>>
>>143086421
>>Ugly
You're gay aren't you?
>>
>I READ MANGA FOR THE FIGHTS

get out
>>
>>143095214
Well anything else is better time spent on actual books
>>
File: 1466422535143.png (803 KB, 2034x1104) Image search: [Google]
1466422535143.png
803 KB, 2034x1104
>>143086421
>genderbent Killua
This entire post is retarded, but jesus christ.
>>
>>143085900
Took too long to end for mangafags because of the Hiatus and the art quality but as anime this really became a masterpiece.
>>
>>143095437
but hes right machi is just killua with long hair
>>
>>143095656
b8
>>
>>143086586
He had the most arousing death ever.
>>
>>143085900
But CA is absolute dogshit.
>>
Yorknew>>>>>>>>>CA
>>
>>143086421
>Ugly
Welcome to HxH.
>>
File: B0_I5F1IUAAhkof.jpg (65 KB, 599x433) Image search: [Google]
B0_I5F1IUAAhkof.jpg
65 KB, 599x433
Chimera Ants Arc
First Chapter: 186 (October 3rd, 2003)
Last Chapter: 318 (April 4th, 2012)
>>
>>143085900
Personally I thought CA arc was the worst in Hunter x Hunter, that doesn't mean I'm saying its bad because I love all of Hunter x Hunter. But CA arc had the most problems.

King and Royal Guards were too OP, I mean protagonists go from fighting bomber-man in GI to antagonists that were superior to the chairman. In just 1 arc that's far too big a power gap. If this is what Togashi wanted, he should of done a couple more arcs before this one.

Leorio and Kurapika aren't in it at all. This is the second arc where they don't make a single appearance when they're also protagonists, one of the reasons why Yorkshin is my favourite is because all 4 of them are there and contribute to the plot of that arc.

The pacing, due to so many hiatuses, this arc was dragged on more than it needed to be.

On the other hand it had good parts as well. I surprisingly enjoyed the King and Royal Guards as characters, Morel was pretty awesome as well. Netero vs King was an awesome fight.
>>
>>143095861
Whilst Pitou's gender was ambiguous in the manga, in the anime Pitou's gender is definitely female, it has a feminine body shape as well as breasts.
>>
>>143096320
Pitou has breasts and massive hips in the manga but its gender is ambiguous in both versions.
>>
>>143087612
Not even close
>>
>>143087763
Good to see you haven;t read it
>>
File: SantaPitou.jpg (110 KB, 632x758) Image search: [Google]
SantaPitou.jpg
110 KB, 632x758
>>143096502
Have to agree with >>143096320
Just look at pic, anime advertises Pitou as female, no male could have that kind of body. In manga Pitou is not THAT feminine looking, but since manga is more canon than anime, its fine to think of Pitou as male.
>>
>>143097138
and this why 2011 is shit with tha all pandering like killua and gon
>>
>>143096320
the director himself said only Togashi knows.
>>
File: Ch304_profile.png (225 KB, 542x549) Image search: [Google]
Ch304_profile.png
225 KB, 542x549
>>143096320
>>143097138
>>143097245
>Whilst Pitou's gender was ambiguous in the manga
>>
File: pitou.jpg (103 KB, 470x499) Image search: [Google]
pitou.jpg
103 KB, 470x499
>>143097138
>In manga Pitou is not THAT feminine looking
>>
>>143097293
She really isn't.
>>
File: 1465845850833.jpg (25 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
1465845850833.jpg
25 KB, 284x177
>>143097325
>>
>>143097293
look like a man to me.
>>
>>143097269
why couldn't she be this pretty in the anime?
>>
>>143086655
What the fuck why is Youpi red.
>>
File: 13363477165653.jpg (93 KB, 413x445) Image search: [Google]
13363477165653.jpg
93 KB, 413x445
HURR DURR THIS CHARACTER IS LIKE, SUPER STRONG, AND HE HAS NO FEELINGS BUT HE IS SUPER STRONG, THEN HE MEETS A GIRL BUT HE IS SUPER STRONG AND HAS NO EMOTIONS, THEN HE FALLS IN LOVE WITH THE GIRL BUT HE IS SUPER STRONG AND HAS NO EMOTIONS AND THEN HE DIES BUT HE IS SUPER STRONG BUT NOW HE HAS EMOTIONS DURR BEST SHOUNEN ARC EVER DURR
>>
please don't respond to the bait.
>>
second hand embarrassment is strong
>>
>>143097713
You're getting it wrong, you know. Mereum pretty much exclusively had violent and arrogant emotions. "I'm annoyed". "I'm angry" "I'm Da Bess".

Then he met Komugi and he gradually came to love her.

He had them, though. Even if most ordinary people didn't really register except as "annoying".

I'd say his primary emotion was really "boredom". He was really fucking bored.
>>
>>143097713
What triggers me is how sudden his shift in emotion was. He was killing innocent people left and right then he meets Killua in a wig and suddenly his entire outlook on life changes.
>>
File: 1448758649934.jpg (101 KB, 513x486) Image search: [Google]
1448758649934.jpg
101 KB, 513x486
>>143086033
>>143085900
Should I watch the longer older series or the 2011 shorter one?
Why for either?

I was looking for a normies anime to watch with the wife, and ethan and hilarious recommend this. My wife used to be a weeb and I'm trying to get her back into anime
>>
File: 1459622822351.gif (278 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1459622822351.gif
278 KB, 450x450
>>143086516
Okay name 3 anime better than it. Just try.
>>
>>143097953
This show is fucking brutal man, this is not normie fare
Don't let the colorful upbeat shounen aesthetic fool you
>>
>>143098181
in b4 the legendary trio autism: FMA:B, Codegeass, F/Z
>>
>>143097949
>he meets Killua in a wig
Why does this meme keep being pushed?
>>
There were highlights, particularly the beginning, when all the side characters were finding themselves in over their heads. The Phantom Troupe episode, and the Falling Dragon stuff was cool. NTR v King was kind of a let down aside from that one frame of his death, and I thought the nuke was nice, since through the whole thing I was thinking, wouldn't they try that? And the conclusion, though kind of campy, still somehow tugged on my heartstrings. In short it was okay.

Oh yeah, I was quite fond of Ikalgo too.
>>
>>143098254

HxH is a pretty crapsack world if you're not a nen user.
>>
CA was great but it tried too hard to be deep and it dragged on a bit too much. Other than few episodes/chapters I'll probably skip a lot next time I watch/read it.
>>
>>143086325
That's probably why he had such a long writing block
>>
File: 1390949299828.jpg (787 KB, 1390x984) Image search: [Google]
1390949299828.jpg
787 KB, 1390x984
The entire arc is just a deconstruction of mindless shounen shit, so of course the fights are anticlimatic and the characters develop and talk more than actually fight. It's figuratively shitting on DBZ.
>>
So why didn't Netero take any of the zodiacs to NGL?
>>
>>143099303
No need to waste so many resources plus he wanted to fight Meruem himself.
>>
>>143099303
Not necessary. They aren't his personal army.
>>
reddit has taken over
>>
>>143099580
I wish
>>
>>143099303
Wasn't something along the lines of taking the ideal team that wasn't likely to get caught and assimilated?
>>
>>143099303
Well he wanted to fight alone and the zodiacs wasn't reunited at the time.
>>
>There are people who don't think Welfin saving himself is an amazing scene
>>
File: sadclown.png (174 KB, 656x601) Image search: [Google]
sadclown.png
174 KB, 656x601
>>143097953
99 only goes up to a certain point, but 2011 is a pretty neatly contained story. I'd personally say watch 2011 first and then watch your favorite scenes in the 99 version because they are usually done a lot better.
>>
File: ourlordandsaviour.png (901 KB, 904x1284) Image search: [Google]
ourlordandsaviour.png
901 KB, 904x1284
>>143086774
Gon-san isn't supposed to be cool, it's supposed to be a twisted and tragic parody of what could have been.
>>
"Don't understimate the human race, Meruem"

I get chills at that part. it's out of nowhere yet incredibly fitting.
>>
>>143100018
And then everyone dies on the DC.
>>
>>143099741
How can you not? It was great
>>
File: 1456572226811.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456572226811.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>>143099216
>deconstruction
There's that word again...
>>
>>143099303
It was explained in the Manga.

Pariston arranged it so that the minimum number of hunters was sent to deal with the ants.
>>
File: You keep using that word, anon.jpg (34 KB, 809x436) Image search: [Google]
You keep using that word, anon.jpg
34 KB, 809x436
>>143099216
>deconstruction
>>
Other than Morel and Illumi will we get another strong manipulator that will be important to story? I have a feeling like Togashi doesn't like them. Kalluto is another one and that's pretty much it, maybe Shoot. There will be probably some among bodyguards and zodiacks but they seem to be kinda meh for the most part.
>>
>>143100295
>>143100185
So what is it called when you take a DBZ style villain like cell, have him be the perfect life form who the heroes can't beat, and then show that just because he's the best at fighting doesn't mean he's the best at everything? And also showing that technology and brains can beat raw individual fighting power any day?

I'm genuinely curious what to call it when an established idea is taken apart and thought about critically, if it's not deconstruction.
>>
>>143100754
That's not what a deconstruction is retard and what you're describing isn't one in the slightest
>>
>>143100821
Then what is it?
>>
>>143100754
>So what is it called when you take a DBZ style villain like cell, have him be the perfect life form who the heroes can't beat, and then show that just because he's the best at fighting doesn't mean he's the best at everything? And also showing that technology and brains can beat raw individual fighting power any day?
That's but this isn't a deconstruction of anything in fact its a ripoff of The World's Strongest Robot arc from Astro Boy the most well-known story arc in the series.
>>
>>143085900
Only read the manga & after watching 76-148 I felt in love with Gon & Killua's qt personality, the fuck.

Didn't watch Yorknew city arc cause already watched 99 version, how's the pacing & quality compared to Chimera arc?

Fuck it might as well just watch 1-75 for Gon & Killua, dammit why are they so fucking cute.
>>
>>143100465
The Zodiacs are important to the story anon, and there are manipulators among them.
>>
File: MKPrv.png (250 KB, 481x349) Image search: [Google]
MKPrv.png
250 KB, 481x349
>>143100895
Plagiarism followed by an anti-climatic ending
>>
File: 1433518463869-2.png (508 KB, 800x1373) Image search: [Google]
1433518463869-2.png
508 KB, 800x1373
>>143101082
I wish the new series didn't look so bad. I need more astro boy in my life.
>>
>>143101132
The 2003 series or the upcoming France shit remake? The 2003 is excellent
>>
>>143100754
The entire western literature is a series of one author acknowledging, but then perverting, the previous author's tropes, yet you hardly ever see the word "deconstruction" being thrown around in literary criticism.
>>
>>143085900
Not even close. Its not even the best arc in Hunter X Hunter
>>
>>143101197
Yeah, 2003 is great, I was talking about the new shit one. Fuck that.
>>
>>143086867
Still prefer CA, but the Kyoto arc is damn close
>>
>>143086679
it was a asspull the fact that only gon could do that but not all the other nen user who also died in the ant arc is proof enough but togashidrones defend every shit
>>
File: 1461710342627.jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461710342627.jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
>>143088964
Fucking kek
>>
>>143101650
>i don't know how nen works: the post
>>
>>143087685
Pouf was such a flaming faggot.
>>
File: 1463169710226.jpg (1 MB, 3820x2152) Image search: [Google]
1463169710226.jpg
1 MB, 3820x2152
>>
>>143085900

yorkshin is the best arc of all time. chimera was very epic and deep, but really the first 3/4th of it is such shit
>>
>>143097949
It's a statement on how people can grow for the better (and for the worse, in Gon's case)
>>
>>143097949
It's because it was the first time anyone had absolutely dominated him in anything.

Like Poufo said, Komugi had reached a divine like status to him in which all his beliefs and views were wrapped around.

His existence is meant to be the pinnacle and yet here comes this country girl with no sense of scope or grand vision and he can't beat her at a game. Even more so, said girl has planned to die upon suffering a single defeat and directly challenged his decisions under penalty of death.

Compare the reaction to Kogumi defying him and giving him an order to Poufo doing the same. Komugi gets a tail pointed at her neck and then he backs down like a beaten dog while Poufo literally gets the full torrent of his blood lust for daring to try and command him to follow proper procedure.
>>
>>143085900
This arc might be the only time I've cried when the villain died in something. Also possibly the most beautiful love story I've seen in a shounen series.
>>
File: get out of a.jpg (73 KB, 1087x720) Image search: [Google]
get out of a.jpg
73 KB, 1087x720
>>143087509
>literal capeshit
no
>>
>>143102167
>and for the worse, in Gon's case
>after all that, he's still cheerful boy after CA arc
why?
>>
>>143101990
the world would be a much better place if a giant ant would rule it
>>
>>143102954
>cheerful boy
Pay closer attention to those pages.
>>
>>143102977
ruled it*
>>
>>143102167
that was just gon's lowest point, we've only seen bits of his growth after that but it seems to point in a more positive direction.
>>
>>143101760
yes i forgot you need super plot amor like hisoka listen up my rubber nen right
>>
>>143085900

>lots of development for Gon and Killua's bro-story
>GOAT-tier fights
>GOAT-tier soundtrack
>one of the few shonen arcs with a moral told very well, themes executed brilliantly with Ant's showing individuality and becoming increasingly human
>plot twists that most legitimately haven't seen coming, from Netero's Rose Bomb to Kite's rebirth as an Ant
>perfect setup for future arcs that have been established somewhat in the form of Gyro.
>other threads that are available to Togashi, such as Pokkle becoming a Chimera Ant or other roaming Ants doing there thing in the world
>>
>>143085900
That's not Soul Society arc.
>>
>>143104373
>other threads that are available to Togashi, such as Pokkle becoming a Chimera Ant
No.
Pokkle was Meruem's food.
>>
>>143103999
>nen after death is plot armor
thanks for proving my point
>>
>>143097325
>she
KARE you nigger
>>
>>143104554
>no oxygen
>didn't get braindamage

t. togashidrones
>>
>>143104985
There have been cases of people surviving for that long.
>>
>>143104428
>Soul Society arc
I still can't believe it was Pierrot studio that handled the arc, it was so fucking good.
Right at the start of the Bount arc till the last episode the animations felt seriously off & took a huge shit, not sure what happened.
>>
>>143085900
It wasn't even the best arc in HxH.
>>
>>143097325
She was plenty feminine, what are you talking about? Large, fully lashed eyes, voluptuous hair, big birthing hips. What are you looking for, a face caked with makeup and visible vagina stench?
>>
>>143087886
DC will most likelt be about how endless death and infighting between humans is absolutely worthless when the world will live on without them, and that our actions are nothing in the face of the Dark Contients size and scope.
>>
>>143096212
>King and Royal Guards were too OP

That might have been a problem if it were handled poorly, but it wasn't.

>Leorio and Kurapika aren't in it at all.

Not necessary. Putting in this arc would add nothing of value for the plot or their characters. It wouldn't even make sense from a logical standpoint.

>The pacing, due to so many hiatuses, this arc was dragged on more than it needed to be.

Hiatuses don't really matter when looking at the arc in retrospect. There were times when the pacing was a bit slow, but all in all it needed to be a longer arc for it to be done correctly. Togashi could have possibly cut it down to around 90 chapters, but that's the bare minimum.

The only real glaring problem with CA is its pacing at points. The narration was fine for the most part in the manga because it helped create the sense of time dilation necessary.

imo, the CA arc does more wrong compared to Yorknew, but it also does more right as well.
>>
>>143096652
yes every Bokushit is the same and village are 1 dimensional
>>
>>143085900
I liked York New and Greed Island more than Chimera Ant
>>
Too many characters.

New characters in this arc either do nothing, disappear without mention, job after lots of hype, or are filler fights.
>>
>>143110261
What characters are you even talking about? None of that applies to the Palace Invasion crew or the Royal Guard and Meruem.
>>
File: HunterBallZ.jpg (172 KB, 599x871) Image search: [Google]
HunterBallZ.jpg
172 KB, 599x871
Chimera Ant Arc is truly the pinnacle saga that all anime, not just shonen arcs strive to be. Not only is the story telling prodigious, the pacing and character development is top notch. The level of depth that Togashi created is on another level. The exquisite and subtle use of narration at only times of importance delivers an amazing story telling experience.Of the various themes present in this work, his theme of ethics and value theory incorporated with various interactions between the characters appeal to logos, ethos and pathos, and this amalgamation of techniques once again prove his acuity and status as the smartest and wisest writer ever. His profound messages regarding anthropology and the juxtaposition of insects and animals with introspection as a species delivers an amazing tale of tragedy and loss. The fact that he delves into the more psychological aspects of human nature,morality, structuralism, existentialism, meta cognition and phenomenology show that he is the Shakespeare of writing and that he truly understands philosophy, proving that this epic is the most intelligent tale ever crafted. Togashi demonstrates his ken of the human race as a hole through the Chimera Ant Arc, his magnum opus.
>>
>>143111802
>People are still using this shit pasta
>>
>>143087177
>Gray morality
What fucking Gray morality motherfucking ants were about to murder over a million humans fuck those monsters.
>>
>>143086832
>Lost his nen
No he didn't Gin even states gon is fine his pressure points just aren't open anymore so he can't feel or see it
>>
File: 1435723890901.jpg (98 KB, 787x652) Image search: [Google]
1435723890901.jpg
98 KB, 787x652
>>143111990
>Lost his use of nen
>He didn't lose his nen
>>
>>143112044
He still has his nen though you dumb motherfucker. He is just like a normal human and can't feel it. He either has to have his points forcefully reopened again or learned it the same way Zushi and most normal people do.
>>
>>143112102
Do you know what nen is you fucking retard? Aura and nen aren't the same thing. Ging only stated his aura was fine, your post is 100% headcanon.
>>
>>143111802
Mate the convication arc of Berserk, Kyoto of Kenshin, Dark tournament from yu yu, are all better then CA along with Yorkshire tieing with CA in HxH best arc
>>
File: CAN'T WAKE UP.png (252 KB, 487x370) Image search: [Google]
CAN'T WAKE UP.png
252 KB, 487x370
>>143112138
You do realize their aura is made up of nen right? Nen is literally the burning human spirit every one has it. Gon couldn't lose his nen or he would have no spirit do you have any idea what you are talking about? Either go reread or watch the heaven tower arc you retarded bastard
>>
File: Passing_Genin.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Passing_Genin.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
are we all forgetting the arc that made naruto God Tier?
>>
>>143112146
>Berserk
lmao
>Kyoto
lmao
>Dark tournament
only has 1 good part
>Yorkshire
edgy

all bad and don't stand up to the themes and symbolism present in CA
>>
>>143112229
>Kyoto arc
>bad
Explain
>dark tourenment only having one good part
weak bait
>Yorkshire more edgy then CA
Nigger wut
>>
>>143112252
Shishio and friends shit and so was plot
Dark tournament not even best arc of series
York only edgy shit for sasuke lovers
>>
>>143112347
>doesn't explain at all
>only posts shit opinions.
>>
>>143112187
>aura is made up of nen right
>Nen is literally the burning human spirit every one has it
Jesus fucking Christ take your own advice you gigantic fucktard. Everyone has aura, if they didn't they'd die. Nen is simply the action of using your aura.
Nice way to show you don't know what you're talking about you fucking inbred.
>>
File: hunter2.jpg (155 KB, 727x1037) Image search: [Google]
hunter2.jpg
155 KB, 727x1037
>>143085900
chimera ants is good. But york city is still the best arch in HXH. Ehell one the best arc in shonen manga ever.
The action. He kipnapping. The kurapika plan. The zoldick vs lucifer fight.

Too damn good.
>>
Not going to lie, I got around to watching the 2011 anime finally because I couldn't remember what the fuck was going on anymore in the manga because of all those damn hiatuses.

The chimera ant is definitely more enjoyable that way. I remember the netero fight in the manga was stretched on for months because of hiatus and was seemingly downplayed a lot just because you lost any suspense and excitement over the time
>>
Gyro fucking when
>>
>>143112715
>The chimera ant is definitely more enjoyable that way.

Fuck no, it's not. The narration during the anime was fucking unbearable. Apparently the director didn't understand the simple concept of something working in manga, but not transferring well into anime, and decided to keep it all. Reading the Chimera Ant arc all at once in the manga volumes is the definitively the best way to appreciate it.
>>
>>143112847
Probably, there was indeed a lot of narration, but I was comparing the anime to reading it in the small spurts that the chimera arc was presented to us due to those unbearable hiatuses. I'm sure it would definitely be a better read in a few sittings.
>>
>>143085900
Yorkshin is better
>>
File: Caesar_Clown's_Broken_Face.png (522 KB, 629x720) Image search: [Google]
Caesar_Clown's_Broken_Face.png
522 KB, 629x720
>>143085900
>He didn't read Thriller Bark
>>
>>143113602
>Still acting like Sabaody Archipelago isn't the best arc in OP
>>
>>143092419
>implying he missed my heart
>>
>>143085900
Was my favorite arc, but the explanations got a little annoying. Mereum and Kommugi were great.
>>
>>143085900
No, Yorknew is. Why? It's not too long unlike Chimera arc and it has Kurapika.
>>
>>143113902
you mean skypia
>>
>>143115056
Skypia, as in, the arc that comes before the real best arc, Water 7/Enies Lobby?
>>
>>143085900
Fuck the hell no. The pacing made me want to kill myself. HunterXHunter is a fucking cocktease show that is all build-up no pay-off all the time.
>>
>>143086421

Shut the fuck up and watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJJ8HFC3M0I
>>
>>143098181
Jojo
Samurai Flamenco
One Piece
>>
>>143116732
A well-animated slaughter of jobbers justifies an entire arc where the narrator emphasizes everything? K.
>>
>>143116895
>implying that it didn't serve an important purpose and needs justifiation
>>
>>143085900

Nah, that title goes to the 1000 year blood war whenever it gets animated.
>>
>>143117180
>Acknowledging post Soul Society Bleach
>>
>>143114905
>Yorknew
>>
>>143085900
I think it would of been better, if the King and Royal Guards hadn't died, but Netero still sacrificed himself and weakened the King to give more time so that characters like Hisoka and the Zodiacs had their chances to fight them. Because I just feel that introducing the DC thing wasn't a good idea, when Togashi has taken so many breaks and is rumored to be pretty ill. Its now rather unlikely that he will ever finish the series now.
>>
Reminder that the '99 version is objectively superior.
>>
>>143118372
>>
>>143118781
Just hope that Togashi doesn't die before he finishes the series otherwise my point will be proven that DC shouldn't of happened.
>>
>>143085900
Dark Tournament was better.
>>
>>143085900
>best arc Shounen has to offer
>actually arguing over which midget is the tallest
>>
>>143086945
>Is the bar for battle shounen set set so low that anything even slightly thought-provoking is called a masterpiece?
Pretty much, yes. It's telling how people only ever try to talk up HxH in comparison to other battle shounen.
>>
>>143094575

Man did Air Gear turn to shit fast.

Also HxH is just one of those series that I accept I'll never "get". Tried and tried to read it, kinda became convinced Togashi is a hack.

Still respect him for owning WSJ so hard and basically having the ability to start/stop making HxH whenever he goddamn well pleases though.
>>
>>143087177
>maybe not everyone who isn't me is worthless
Truly fucking great character development, Togashi is such a genius.
>>
>>143120712
Are you talking about Meruem? That's not even reductionism, that's literally just one of his first thoughts you retarded nigger.
His entire character arc is just a big existential crisis, at first he realizes he's not the hottest shit around, then he gets a messiah complex and eventually he learns he never stood a chance and decides the purpose of his life was being with a blind girl from a farm or something. He really didn't have much self-worth by the end of his life, this was shown when he was ready to kneel in front of Palm.

Shit dude if you can't understand a battle shounen character you might as well give up on books altogether.
>>
File: 229.png (116 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
229.png
116 KB, 500x278
>>143120605
It's fine for you to consider Togashi a hack under one condition.

Oda, Kishimoto and Toriyama are all also hacks in your opinion. If this condition isn't meant your opinion is composed of SHIT TASTE
>>
>character takes a step forward
>"NARRATION NARRATION HE TOOK A STEP FORWARD WITH GREAT FORTITUDE NARRATION NARRATION"
>character scratches his nose
>"NARRATION NARRATION HE SCRATCHED HIS NOSE WITH GREAT CONTEMPLATION NARRATION NARRATION"
no
>>
Even One Piece has had better arcs.
>>
>>143121606
If there wasn't narration you'd bitch that nothing was explained and nothing made sense.

If it was the character narrating you'd bitch about characters narrating in real time while a fight goes on.

The narrator is BEST option because it provides us the reader insight, without breaking the flow of the world.
>>
>>143121919
There's literally no excuse having that much narration for an animated fucking product. The manga does a better job at it.
>>
>>143121552

Well of course. Oda is running One Piece into the ground, Kishimoto was never good, and Toriyama has long since fallen off.
>>
>>143121919
The best option is to show stuff that doesn't need fucking twenty lines of explanation for each panel.
>>
>>143121320
>just one of his first thoughts
I call bullshit, he didn't fully decide people weren't worthless until after the fucking rose. He spent 90% of the arc getting over that hump.
>>
>>143122770
There is no way you are not retarded. Before fighting Netero one of the things he said to him is that he wished to "protect the weak that deserve to live" or something among those lines. It wasn't after getting nuked, it was after the arm scene with Komugi and when she asked his name.
Again, i want you to think about the fact that you can't follow a cartoon for children.
>>
>>143122770
Dude, did you literally pay attention to the fucking arc. Hell, back before he got ROSE'D I literally thought the entire set up was that Komugi was the crux for stopping him and the twist of the arc was that if Gon lost his cool and smashed her head in because of Pitou or Poufo was able to get his way then that was GAME OVER.

The arc still pretty much played out the way I expected, but mixed with a bitter futility in everything because this entire conflict had already been decided before the operation began. The only thing up in the air was how many causalities there'd be.

It's also illustrating a running theme that is continued with Alluka's arc afterwards, which is that humanity's only option when dealing with things from the outside world are to completely annihilate it with our malice and desire to survive or convert it into something beneficial through our kindness and compassion.
Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.