[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can be done to save the isekai genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86
File: 6340.jpg (67 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
6340.jpg
67 KB, 350x500
What can be done to save the isekai genre?
>>
>>143019029
I doubt it can, the only good isekai is konosuba, and that's because it's a parody.
>>
It's weird of the extremes of the Japanese and Chinese world-traveling novels

Chinese ones go slow as all hell and takes 100 chapters for the MC to get anywhere, and that's only if they are OPMCs (normal ones take a lot longer).

While Japanese ones give the MC all the powerups, harems, and OP abilities from the get-go without the MC having to work for any of it. So most MCs have not much long-term goals besides "do whatever I want"

They can both do with better pacing.
>>
>>143019029
Stop making it. At this point, it's as played out as the school battle harem.
>>
File: 1453923490181.png (44 KB, 538x472) Image search: [Google]
1453923490181.png
44 KB, 538x472
ANIME KUMO
>>
>>143019208
what of 12 Kingdoms, Escaflowne, and Geminar?
>>
>>143019355
Weren't all that great but your standards have gotten so low that they're the first things you think of.

my suggestion would be read more novels
>>
>>143019355
Was escaflowne good? I never finished it because kinda boring
>>
>>143019029
Nothing. All you can do is stop fucking making them and let the genre cool down for awhile.
>>
>>143019355
>what of 12 Kingdoms, Escaflowne

I was talking about modern Isekai.

>>143019393
>your standards have gotten so low that they're the first things you think of.

Make us laugh, what Isekai are better than 12 Kingdoms and Escaflowne?
>>
>>143019029
It needs to be euthanized.
>>
>>143019437
>>143019208

This
>>
>>143019452
I wouldn't be able to talk about them because it'd be breaking the rules.
You'd be on /lit/ if you truly cared
>>
>>143019029
>What can be done to save the isekai genre?
Konosuba.
>>
>>143019029
>the reason
Make the solid reason for world-travel, not suicide, random god's will or etc.
>the protagonist
Make him real character with weaknesses and strength. Cut this useless cheating buffs.
>the world
Make an interesting world WITHOUT RPG OR MMORPG REFERENCES. With people living, with all contradictions, politics, evildoers and stuff.
>the plot
Make plot pls. Just make it.
>the harem
Make interesting harem, with girls being characters, not walking titties.
That's pretty much it.
>>
>>143019430
Yes. You probably just can't stand shojo, but I have honestly no idea how someone can find the first episodes boring.
>>
>>143019489
But thats part of the cancer. Thankfully ReZero is actually good.
>>
Nothing, it's beyond saving.

Hataraku Maou-sama is a good reversal of it, though. At least in concept.
>>
>>143019029
A rookie wizard is sent to earth during an alien invasion and helps humanity win the war against superior alien technology by combining science and magic.
>>
>>143019029
Have a greater diversity of how the other world is used.

Stop making it the playground of a single reincarnated cheating otaku.

For all GATE's faults, it at least did something slightly different.

Muv-Luv Alternative is another one that tried something new.
>>
naturally they can do with more creative worlds

whole point of isekai is the the MC is a fish out of water in a strange and fantastical world.

Have a MC be a normal fuck in a horrible hybrid of Final Fantasy and Wagner. That everyone are hammy high-born gods that can kill the MC by breathing on him too hard and that no matter how well off the MC gets that's still true. He has to us his wits to get by and explore the world and it's wonders with great enthusiasm because even though every person is a god this also means that all of the stuff they have far surpasses his own world.
>>
>>143019494
What solid reason would you suggest?
>>
>>143019430
That's because it is boring the whole way through.
>>
>>143019484
if you are fully awere that those things you have in mind are unrelated, you can avoid shitposting instead of trying to sound elitist.
>>
It's a shitty premise for garbage writers to appeal to an equally shitty fanbase. It just needs to completely fuck off, nothing good is ever coming out of it.
Konosuba was average at best.
>>
>>143019525
I'm glad you ended that on some obvious bait. I didn't want to respond seriously.
>>
>>143019430
yeah I didn't like it either

replace Escaflowne with El Hazard then

I'd also put Now and Then, :Here and There as well but I didn't like that series either.

>>143019452
No indication they were talking of modern. >>143019208 clearly doesn't like 12 kingdoms

I guess you yourself don't like Geminar.
>>
>>143019595
Make up your mind, am I shitposting or trying to sound elitist?
>>
[x] remove harem
>>
>>143019639

there has never been a world where the two are mutually exclusive
>>
With more Log Horizon
>>
>>143019639
Are you really so unbelievably stupid?
>>
>MC start playing VR online-game.
>Get female avatar and tries the new ``Sex´´ option with random dude for giggles.
>Gets the `Pregnant´´ status.
>Suddenly, everyone gets transported to the game isekai.
>A noob, alone and pregnant in another world adventure starts.
>>
By embracing the true possibilities of the genre.
More realistic medieval and gritty worlds, MCs abusing technological and physics knowledge from our world, etc etc.

Imagine an isekai where the MC pushes back the Maou's armies with muskets instead of cheat hax powers.
>>
>>143019745
the kid is the chosen one
>>
>>143019688
Second season was snorefest.
>>
>>143019765
kinda like Drifters?
>>
>>143019029
More Overlord
>>
>>143019675
>>143019744
>instead
>>
>>143019886
More trash?
>>
>>143019673
[x] remove male MC
>>
>>143019799
>They got transported becaused MC accomplied a requierement to breed a god (Weakest newborn x strongest douche. And he masturbated to it).
>>
>>143019765
Like that one movie where they predicted an eclipse to put out a fire?
>>
>>143019765
>Imagine an isekai where the MC pushes back the Maou's armies with muskets instead of cheat hax powers.

and the real villain is the church!

hey wait, Mark Twain wrote the first isekai.
>>
File: 1449790355183.png (789 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1449790355183.png
789 KB, 1280x720
How about we do it where a generic anime MC with all the OP powers and a harem despite having no real personality to speak of dies, and is reincarnated into a different fantasy world where things don't come as easily to him, and women treat him as a joke at best?

He can still have successes and victories, but no LN-style victories. Just being a constant failure hero is just trying too hard.

Also reincarnate him as a girl, for shits and giggles.
>>
>>143019688
>>143019886
A bucket of shit isn't improved by adding more shit.
>>
>>143019745
You mean like Vampire Princess?
>>
>>143019959
Instead of being lost and miserable Mr Bones was having fun. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>143019945
"If you were aware it would be too much of a tangent, you could have not said anything at all instead of shitposting trying to sound elitist."
>>
>>143020065
That's not an American sentence.
>>
>>143019208
>>143019489
>good isekai
>konosuba

You're a part of the problem.
>>
>>143019977
>knowing that it's a divine entity spends the series trying to protect the child while preggers
>MC dies in childbirth
>he wakes up to find that he's the child
>>
Is Bleach Isekai?
>>
>>143020003
Anteilier Tanaka was a LN in that vein

he's ugly, most people fuck with him, and those girls that end up falling for him are all fucking other dudes
>>
>>143019765
To be honest "modern equipment vs primitives" is really not that different than hax powers, and it got boring pretty fast, with Gate being the final nail in the coffin for me.

Isekai by itself is not really good or bad, it's the writers themselves who make it shit by resorting to generic tired tropes ("Magic sure is convenient!")

How about an isekai where MC is a programmer and ends up in a world where magic is code "compiled" by the wizard's brain, and although MC doesn't have the part of the brain required to cast magic, his academic knowledge puts him on par with the greatest wizards of that world when it comes to "inventing new spells" so he slowly makes his way up in the shadows by supporting a dumb mage that everyone makes fun of.

And don't go ahead and ruin it by giving him a harem, a single love interest is enough, make it some chick who likes stealing corpses from the graveyard and dissecting them to learn medicine and draw the internal human body in detail, and MC decides to help her out since he wants to figure out what makes his brain and this world's brains different. So he has to keep his cover and make his dumb friend a hero by day, and commit grave-robbery and research by night.
>>
>>143020140
it's more of an exorcist series really
>>
>>143019029
A huge problem with it is that they fucking ignore the fact that they are stuck in a different world very quickly. I don't get why they just don't start the story off with the fantasy setting as a default if that's typically the case.
>>
>>143019029
It's simple, we kill the isekai genre.
>>
>>143020220
That's a more OPMC version of Warlock in a Magus world (and Leilyn was already pretty OP).
>>
>>143019029
Better writers.
>>
>>143019430
It's been literally over 20 years since Escaflowne. At the time it was pretty unique, but I wouldn't recommend it today. I thought the movie was better.
>>
>>143020304
that's probably the best answer
all the isekai series the people in this thread knows were all made by webnovelists

and web-anything are usually known for no quality control.
>>
>>143020348
>not recommending watching for Dilandau burning everything
>>
>>143020276
>What happens when a scientist from a futuristic world reincarnates in a World of Magic and Knights?
>An awesome MC — that’s what happens!
>A scientist’s goal is to explore the secrets of the universe, and this is exactly what Leylin sets out to do when he is reincarnated. Dark, cold and calculating, he makes use of all his resources as he sets off on his adventures to meet his goal.

Description is already a big enough of a turn-off, goddamn chinks.
>>
>>143020379
It's not a wonder why the adaptations are so fan fic tier.
>>
>>143020379
if we had actual professionals write the Isekai plots it would definitely up the quality

people think there's not much creative freedom with the genre, problem is there's too much and they use to to write their wet dreams.
>>
File: hpZrXsz.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hpZrXsz.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
>>143019824
It wasn't exactly a snorefest. Children Arc was boring but when Roe2 got introduced things got interesting. Also moon server and all that was nice.
>>
File: yankee.jpg (43 KB, 287x475) Image search: [Google]
yankee.jpg
43 KB, 287x475
>>143020397
Japan can't into isekai. They should just stop embarrassing themselves.
>>
There are plenty of great Isekai anime.

Tatami Galaxy is probably one of the greatest examples out there.
>>
I think there's a russian novel where a military squad gets sent to elfland.

I think it ends with elfland being literally nuked.

So yeah, when in doubt, as the russians.
>>
File: 1416797.jpg (34 KB, 235x375) Image search: [Google]
1416797.jpg
34 KB, 235x375
>>143020220
>How about an isekai where MC is a programmer and ends up in a world where magic is code "compiled" by the wizard's brain, and although MC doesn't have the part of the brain required to cast magic, his academic knowledge puts him on par with the greatest wizards of that world when it comes to "inventing new spells" so he slowly makes his way up in the shadows by supporting a dumb mage that everyone makes fun of.

Literally exactly every novel by Jack L Chalker, although it's usually the villains doing that scheme. Magic is programming the universe, anything that lets a magic-user solve equations better than a human makes them overpowered. It still gets old. Chalker was a pervert too, but considering the topic...
>>
>>143020379
>web-anything no quality control
OOTS, Erfworld and Unsounded disagree with you.
>>
>>143019029
Something came to mind when I was bored yesterday. Basically have the plot be something like this.
>Old man with a really jumbled together set of clothing and accessories.
>Turns out each one is came from a different world he traveled to, he wears all of them despite not matching because they all hold memories to him.
>Story is him describing the story behind different pieces he acquired on his journeys.
>At the end of every part, something forced him to teleport to a new world in need of a hero.
>Slowly becomes more distant and jaded through every world since he won't see any friends or lovers he made during is time there after he is forced away.
So basically Freeter from Hero Message Board. Wouldn't fix the genre or anything, but I'd like to read something like that.
>>
File: 1461703813408.png (1 MB, 2228x1600) Image search: [Google]
1461703813408.png
1 MB, 2228x1600
>>143019029

Subverting the genre norms is a good place to start.

Don't make the main character a god out of the box. In fact, avoid making him too strong in general. Specifically regarding the rebirth/reincarnation types, if this is a fantasy world then functional immortals should be a thing. Starting with 20-30 years of experience out of the gate is nice, but the protagonist shouldn't be out doing 900 year old liches.

Unusual protagonists (not average spiky haired japanese high school boy) are also nice as they give a fresh premise to work with. You kind of see that with the "reincarnate into a monster" types, but they all usually fall into the previous mentioned ultra-fast-power-creep issue.

No explicit rpg/mmo mechanics.
They are bad and make the world a cheap numbers game.
>>
>>143020444
it's basically>>143020220
except for the "his academic knowledge puts him on par with the greatest wizards" thing

MC can only be as good as what he knows and the wizards are basically the admech from 40k but more jewish when it comes to knowledge.
>>
>>143020264
I read a comment about how the west likes fantasy where the main character is fantastic to begin with like conan or harry potter, but japan prefers stories where the protagonist is a normal person like the reader who coincidentally has fantastic stuff happen around him.
>>
I think it might be because isekai are a lazy way to get around worldbuilding.

You see, if the MC was a native, he wouldn't need to get infodumped on literally everything, and so worldbuilding would have to be built upon more subtly and carefully. His ethics would also be those of his world, not ours, which makes writing an isseakaier much more barebones.
>>
the protagonist is the creator of an indie RPG that becomes a surprise cult hit, but when brought into his own creation as an actual world for whatever reason, finds himself drunk with the knowledge of how the very world he created works as he dilutes and fucks up everything out of his own interests and self-insertion desires
the real protagonist is an NPC who ends up having to step up to the role of a hero and beat the creator's face in to get him to stop fucking everything up
>>
>>143020530
"no quality control" doesn't mean EVERYTHING will be shit

just that most of it and that the shit will be really shit, no rhyme or reason, nothing is taken for granted, and nothing is sacred

also people have already called the things you listed shit (like OOTS but kinda got bored with the Durakon arc).
>>
The isekai genre doesn't need to be saved. It needs to be killed.
>>
Nothing. They are fine as is. They accomplish exactly what they aim to do, and what their fans want them to do.
>>
>>143020220
I wasn't talking about modern equipment vs fantasy.
More like, MC abuses his knowledge of modern physics to make money or create new weapons (better smelting techniques, early gunpowder weapons, etc etc).
>>
>>143019945
Wow, so you really are so freaking stupid. First you try to sound superior and then you display such poor reading comprehension. I know obnoxious wannabe-elitists are usually retards, but that's too much.
>>
>>143020693
>More like, MC abuses his knowledge of modern physics to make money or create new weapons (better smelting techniques, early gunpowder weapons, etc etc).

Which leads to modern equipment, doesn't it?

Of course I didn't necessarily mean the weapons we have right now, but for barbarians there isn't that much difference between muskets and shotguns. By modern equipment I mean in comparison with the new world's level of technology.
>>
>>143020484
to be fair, I feel like Japan having such a difficult language is what holds japan back, considering no one will read novels, they're all forced to write light novels instead. And since anyone can write light novels they end up being shit
>>
unpopular, but re-zero put a good twist on the isekai genre. Konosuba is fun because parody, i think the next big hit will be tate no yuusha
>>
File: 1465419868874.jpg (315 KB, 940x626) Image search: [Google]
1465419868874.jpg
315 KB, 940x626
By fusing it with shojo.
>>
>>143020530
>erfworld
>not solid proof for that
Unsounded I don't know, but Erfworld is shit. Somewhat relevant shit to the topic, but still shit.
>>
>>143019029
Nice we got a second thread going? It needs more loli hags
>>
>>143020652
Make him be accompanied by an old, war-veteran QA tester who always complains about how nothing works as it's supposed to, and an a gameplay designer that always gets into arguments with the MC (porogrammer) about the feasibility.
>>
>>143020767
Japan has actual novels even today

you don't know about them because your knowledge of foreign novels are entry level but they exist
>>
>>143020578
>but japan prefers stories where the protagonist is a normal person like the reader
>MC-kun is a young shopkeeper in a small village. However one day the village is attacked by Orcs. MC-kun manages to escape, and finds a magic macguffin that will give him the power to avenge his village and save the world.

Thought of ti as I wrote it. You don't have to be from the "real world" to be normal at the start. Anyone with actual writing ability or creativity can do much better than my shitty example.
>>
>>143020765
Actually, early gunpowder weapons weren't much better than bows and crossbows.
It took more than 200 years for muskets to become viable alternatives to the crossbow.
>>
>>143020003
I really want to see a series where a dumb harem protagonist gets completely crushed. I'm talking complete psychological devastation where he loses everything that was given to him through his own shortcomings. There should be enough ill will against that character archetype built up to carry at least one cour of that.
>>
File: ivxpuo.jpg (285 KB, 819x800) Image search: [Google]
ivxpuo.jpg
285 KB, 819x800
While the threads here, anyone know of a series where mc gets robot waifu? Doesn't have to be isekai, but that'd be a bonus.
>>
>>143020976
>the edge
>>
Perhaps not think of profit and try something out of the box?

My favorite writers, though not exclusive to /a/, tend to do what they want and leave lasting impressions because they're not following a trope guide book. And if they are they're usually intentionally twisting it.

Clearly /v/ but Assasin's Creed 1-Brotherhood is one of my favorites while not being all magic based.
>>
File: barbaric japan.jpg (1 MB, 1440x3450) Image search: [Google]
barbaric japan.jpg
1 MB, 1440x3450
>>143019452
>I was talking about modern Isekai.
Define modern Isekai.
Because honestly, the Isekai "genre " has existed for a long time in anime, it just wasn't given that name.

Other examples include Magic Knight Reyearth, Tsubasa Chronicles (kinda), Inuyasha (even though it's supposed to be time travel), Fushigi Yuugi, Digimon (most of the franchise) and that's just naming popular 90s/00s examples.

What exactly are your defining points setting "mordern" Isekai apart from "old school" Isekai
>>
>>143020778
>Konosuba is fun because parody,

Ad because the bits of story and characterization blend with the parody very well. I'm really surprised how it can still work so well after 8 volumes.

>>143020778
>i think the next big hit will be tate no yuusha

Probably. Personally I found it mediocre at best.
>>
>>143021084
see>>143020459
>>
>>143019029
What they need to learn is how to properly structure a story. Creating fantasy is hard as fuck.
>>
>>143020578
But whether the "ordinary" character with no special traits or abilities is from another world or not makes no difference if you think about it. They don't have to be literally a self insert for them to be relatable or connected with the readers.
>>
>>143021084
>think of profit
You think they're writing it for you? They're writing it for themselves dipshit
>>
>>143021203
>They're writing it for themselves dipshit

Why not just jerk off then? If they're publishing it they obviously want other people to read it so maybe try to please them so they give you money.
>>
File: Princess_of_Mars_large.jpg (247 KB, 675x1013) Image search: [Google]
Princess_of_Mars_large.jpg
247 KB, 675x1013
Here's some good isekai for you.
>>
MC is sent to another world, but the game system used as basis for the new is Dark Souls
>>
>>143021125
>What exactly are your defining points setting "mordern" Isekai apart from "old school" Isekai
The new world has videogame mechanics
The MC is a otaku
The MC has a cheat
The MC has no interest in going home
>>
>>143021035
Just to clarify, I've read Clockwork Planet and Horizion already. Wasn't really a fan of how "large scale" those were, they seemed to loose the interaction between MC and machine with their overarching plots.
>>
>>143021084
I always love the hipster narrative of "if we give more freedoms everything will be a masterpiece guize!"

the Isekai genre came from a webnovel site that people can both contribute and read for free. It's like saying fanfiction.net would be better if they didn't pursue profit.

also your example came from Ubisoft
>>
>>143021126
re:zero introduced japanese otaku to SUFFERING. thats why i said tate will be the next big thing

cant wait
>>
Some possibilities...

>Make the new worlds actually interesting. Part of the reason why the few isekai series that the west has enjoyed are the Oz, Alice, and Narnia books are that the authors used worldbuilding to make the world an interesting place to live in. Nobody here really cares about generic Dragon Quest world #43.
>Try to ease up on the self insertion. I know that's a big part of isekai series, but the way they do the self-insertion is bad enough. Make the MC an equal to the people around him, rather than a god in mortal clothing.
>Stick to the premise of the LN. Usually, the only difference in isekai LNs is a twist, like "the MC was reborn as a slime" or "it's actually the devil thrown into the real world". This is fine, but usually the author is only able to write in this premise for a book or two before falling back on cliched haremshit. If you're going to have a LN with a twist, you'd better spend the entire series looking at every fucking angle of that twist.

I've actually been trying to write a proof of concept for a LN idea where the MC is reincarnated as an NPC, and has to deal with a perfectly normal life. But I try to follow these concepts, and I'd probably abandon the idea if I wrote myself in a corner.

>>143021035
Chobits
Mahoromatic
Alex + Ada
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
>>
>>143021347
>webnovels about edge and suffering didn't exist before re:zero

uh anon...
>>
>>143021318
2 out of 4 of those is enough to qualify.
>>
>>143021316
That's Grimgar, man.
>>
>>143021035
Muv-Luv Alternative, sort of.
>>
File: ehehe gomen.png (261 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
ehehe gomen.png
261 KB, 500x360
>>143021346
I misunderstood then, sorry. I googled isekai genre and got the basics of the genre itself, not the origin.
>>
>>143021383
>dont care for dq world 43
I do you faggot, clearly the series isnt for you
>ease up on self insertion
You are so fucking stupid
>stick to premise
Literally what the fuck? Can you into reading comprehension?
>perfectly normal life
Do you even understand why your idea is shit and isekai are good?
>>
>>143021405
Yes. But Re zero is the one that make it goes main stream, considering how good it's selling right theree, also tons of western weebs loving it
>>
>>143021470
still doesn't excuse you for saying an Ubisoft is an example of creative freedom

like that guy that said Megaman was "an example of retro creativity"
>>
>>143019029
Do something creative and interesting with the setting instead of creating a generic backdrop for the sake of having a different world setup.

Most of writers for the bad ones just focus on masturbating solely to how gary stu and amazing the main character is. The character is either overly generic it makes you uninterested/annoyed, or when they actually do try being creative the character is too over the top and cringey
>>
>>143020943
Every novel I read is foreign. Your point is moot
>>
>>143019029
Fuck having the MCs steamroll everything.
>>
>>143021539
People who use the words overly generic probably don't know what they're talking about or just have shit taste.
>>
>>143021538
>Ubisoft is an example of creative freedom
I'm not saying that at all. In fact I didn't. I used AC as an example of something that was different while being interesting, to me anyways.
>>
>>143021346
That web novel site is basically a race to the bottom for e-peen to try and get noticed by major publishers and secure a lucrative publishing deal.

Does any new light novel author actually get into the game by winning contests and sending manuscripts to publishers anymore or do they just go to narou and try to make Mushoku Tensei Clone #88743?
>>
>>143021426

I'm not just talking about the game being difficult.
The cast in grimgar don't level up with souls or are prone to madness due to a curse of immortality, and the people they meet aren't classy but weird adults speaking proper English, and teenage angst isn't completely nonexistent.
>>
>>143019029
It's a setting, not a genre.
>>
File: 1466179623159.gif (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1466179623159.gif
1 MB, 1280x720
>A scientist in a technologically advanced future setting dedicates his life to achieve inter-dimensional travel to escape it
>he achieves his goal with the help of an assistant and builds a machine that sends him to a fantasy new world
>story follows him trying to construct the same machine in this new world whilst introducing modern knowledge to its inhabitants, and applying his knowledge to the improvement of magic
>becomes a Rasputin figure in the process after being seduced by power, amasses a fantasy army and achieves total domination of the new world
>recreates his machine and travels back to conquer earth too
>however, the assistant he left behind manages to create the machine also
>escapes the scientist's conquest by travelling to ANOTHER new world
>follows the scientist's footsteps and becomes an absolute ruler with his own fantasy army in the second new world
>travels back and the scientist, assistant and the best of their forces mutually destroy each other
>the ACTUAL story follows three diplomats, one from each world, trying to maintain amicable relationships between worlds in the wake of the conflict whilst personally vying for power
>eventually the scientist is resurrected by an inter-world shadow organisation
>the three diplomats and worlds unite to stop him
>a triumvirate is created and harmony is found at last
5 isekai's for the price of one, with a world building and political focus at that.
>>
>>143021618
Just because it's the same genre doesn't make a clone
That's like saying everything is a dnd clone or star wars clone
>>
>>143021539
I think the problem is less creativity and more a problem with "quality"

People loved Re:monsters rank-up system
People thought Mahouka's magic system was creative as hell
People fell in love with the gothic designs of Overlord

Creative concepts abound, but the series waste them all to make their MC an OP Gary Stu with a harem. A novel can go outside the box to hell and back but since they are going to use that creativity to make the MC win at everything forever it falls flat.
>>
Have the author understand human ethos.
>>
>>143019029

>can tell what this is about just from looking at this pic

not sure if this is good or bad
>>
>>143021581
I don't know what overly generic means, how about you define it for me since you seem to be the resident genius.
>>
>>143021656
It's so...boring. Why isn't it anime like?
>>
>>143021579
>moot

who?
>>
I just realized I haven't read Kekkon Yubiwa in months
>>
>>143021720
moot is an actual term you mongrel
>>
>>143021579
>moot

Huh?
>>
>>143021704
Shit taste is incurable, just wanted to let you know, that's all. You won't ever change, so there s no point. No need to shit on the greatest we have just because you don't like it.
>>
>>143021579
yet every Japanese novel you read is an LN

I mean it's not like LN overtook novels in Japan, only people that read it are otaku neckbeards, you think they are the majority?
>>
>>143021759
Unfortunately I think it was dropped.
>>
>>143021789
Hmm?
>>
>>143021786
You don't fucking know me, don't talk about my "shit tastes" like you do.
>>
>>143021789
>yet every Japanese novel you read is an LN
I read a Murakami novel once, didn't see what all the fuss was about though. Also read Battle Royale.
>>
>>143021791
Just found some shit scan outside batoto that stopped at 16.5. Ch18 is translated
>>
>>143019029
What exactly needs saving? It's escapism. Japan work ethic sucks. Best days are when you are in high school since you have no adult responsibilities. All your talents in something useless actually add up to something in the new world. Everyone sucks the MC's dick because he's useful, which what many people relate to because they want to be recognized but can't. It's a questionable formula, but something has to be working if there's a bunch of attention going towards it, right?

Now are you asking what can be done to make it better or are you asking what can done about the overabundance of said stories?
>>
Have it about the MC actually surviving the other world

There's no tension in these series because it always seems the world is giving him a blanket

I don't need edge or grimdarkness just MC having to actually having to adapt and survive in the strange world around him
>>
>>143021125
>the Isekai "genre " has existed for a long time in anime, it just wasn't given that name.

Well, that was point. Exactly because it has existed for such a long time, putting everything in the same group doesn't make sense when we are having a discussion abut "saving it", OP is clearly talking about the features and the problems of modern isekai, not about isekai in general.

>Other examples include Magic Knight Reyearth, Tsubasa Chronicles (kinda), Inuyasha (even though it's supposed to be time travel), Fushigi Yuugi, Digimon (most of the franchise) and that's just naming popular 90s/00s examples.

Anon, everything you listed has different writing style, archetypes, tropes and gimmicks than what we usually get nowadays, and I'm sure you are already fully aware of that.

BTW, it seems that most peple forgot about Ixion DT, which was Takamatsu's take on isekai parody. Can't blame them, many episodes were band, some were bad and it had no budget, but it also had some very good episodes as well. I really wish Takamatsu had put more costant effort in it.
>>
File: 1451773831227.jpg (2 MB, 5948x4079) Image search: [Google]
1451773831227.jpg
2 MB, 5948x4079
>>143021318
>>143021409
What you defined (minus videogame mechanics) is a harem show

Just because harem shows are now mixing up their stories with Isekai elements doesn't make them a "new and different wave" of Isekai stories.

By your definition Geminar and the Tenchi Muyo Isekais would be "modern" Isekai despite being almost a decade old (over a decade old in the case of "Dual" and potentially GXP) which were, fittingly, harem shows first with Isekai elements.
>>
>>143021966
>no tension
>suggests what we already have
Maybe if you weren't such a shit reader, it would be okay.
>>
>>143021789
Do novellas count?
>>
File: 1453302881961.gif (777 KB, 390x400) Image search: [Google]
1453302881961.gif
777 KB, 390x400
>>143021993
Whoops, wrong elf
>>
>>143021999
yes yes adapt to the adventures guild and the girls that circle around him

I'm talking of a world were there's no adventure guild and no map of how the world works and operates where the MC will be uncertain on how he'll feed himself let alone defend himself and every place he goes to is completely new to him.
>>
>>143021901
OP wants it to be all about him. It's not escapism to him if it's not perfectly catered. Fucking fags in here, I swear.
>>
Reverse Isekai
A cute elven druid ends up in modern tokyo and has to struggle with shit jobs to survive.
Eventually she resorts to prostitution and gets hooked on heroine. The rest of the story is her complete downfall towards becoming a disgusting meat toilet, tanned, pierced, tattooed and wearing slutty clothing.

Moral of the story? Human society corrupts
>>
>>143020543
>Japanese Salaryman reborned as a Nazi Loli

How the fuck does this work?
>>
>>143022167
I think doujins are more of your thing anon
>>
People say "creativity" but can you really think of what they haven't done before?

I mean most of the suggestions in this thread there's already a Isekai series of them.
>>
>>143019494
This is good, but also:

>characters don't come from our modern world
Would give the reader a bit more immersion from the point of view of that world's natural inhabitant, rather than having a few characters being special snowflakes. Let's face it, reincarnation and summoning has been done to death. There's no real reason a character has to originate from the modern world except from escapism.
>girls don't like the MC for any reason
Would give the series a sense of realism rather than the harem undertone which stems from self-inserting wish fulfillment. Mushoku Tensei is a prime example on why the "every girl lusts for the MC's dick" trope is shit; they all became one-dimensional fuck buddies.
>>
>>143022167
>Reverse Isekai

The demon king is a part timer (and the hero is an office lady).
>>
>>143022167
>Reverse Isekai
Season 2 when?
>>
Isekai are shit, this thread is also shit, and the ideas in here are shit. I am also shit, but I'm aware I'm shit so I don't make shit ideas.
>>
>>143022182
your boss was reincarnated as a nazi

but also happens to be female because god hates him
>>
>>143022182
>How the fuck does this work?
Who says rebirth has to be strictly following linear time progression?
>>
>>143022247
90% of people here don't even read that much LN and WN so they have a narrow minded vision. They're pretty much talking out of their ass.
>>
>>143019029
Does the opposite of the Isekai premise exist? Knight/wizard/demon/whatever goes to modern Japan and goes to high school/becomes a salaryman? I'd watch/read that shit.
>>
>>143020953
you're missing the point. shitty light novels have generic student protagonists because that's what the main readers are.
>>
>>143022134
Unless the mc dies in the first vol it take plot armor and asspulls to keep his weak ass alive.
>>
>japanese highschool student dies, and gets reborn by having his soul placed in the body of a Conan like adventurer hero. He goes on misadventures.

>Twist: The adventurer also gets reborn as the Japanese highschool student, and he sets out to conquer the highschool with Barbarian tactics.

>>143022291
That show was amazing.
>>
>>143022399
Gramps, you need to update your info
>>
>>143022425
this sounds like something nickelodean would've done a decade ago as a parody
>>
>>143022303
Having read 4-5 cheap novels less somehow kills all creativity and lateral thought.
I almost didnt reply to so much stupidity.
>>
>>143022368
The devil is a part-timer.
It is great comedy
>>
>>143022368
It is very generic, has been done a million times before.
>>
>>143022368
Go watch Hataraku Maou-sama when you get a chance. Dragon Warrior esque fanstasy world where the demon king gets defeated, so he escapes, and becomes stuck in the real world. So he gets a Job at Not-McDonalds, and see's it as a way to conquer the world.
>>
>it's another complaining about something for the sake of complaining about it with the same arguments getting posted over and over episode
But then again every day is repost day so whatever, have fun rolling in the mud.
>>
>>143022368
That theme park anime has Musket Girl and fantasy characters wind up in this world.
>>
>>143022515
Anyone know what the opposite of generic is?
>>
>>143020543
>Subverting the genre norms is a good place to start.
No, it's fucking not, there's dozens upon dozens of parodies and subversions that all end up reading the fucking same.
>>
>>143022162
> It's not escapism to him if it's not perfectly catered.

Not OP, but, nah, a work can be good while still being escapism friendly, and it can be bad while still pandering to my fantasies.
Escapim itself isn't the problem and it isn't the decisive pro either.
But, I have to agree with >>143021676 >>143022247 >>143022303

>>143022508
Try to reread his post and the previous ones, also count to 10 before posting.
>>
>>143019029
I wish the translation for this wasn't so slow. Anyone read the raws for Isekai Ryourido?
>>
>>143021656

This is VERY CLOSE to being Escaflowne. Isaac Newton teleports to final fantasy land, takes it over, then is stopped by the power of love somehow in one of the dumbest latter halfs of an anime I've ever seen
>>
Any isekai stories about being brought into a more futuristic sci-fi world?

Is Spirit Circle considered isekai?
>>
>>143022720
>then is stopped by the power of magical A-bombs
Fixed.
>>
>>143022771
Muv luv

It's some what hard to distinguish any others because authors like to mix sci fi and fantasy.
>>
>>143022638
Something that does not make you feel like you've seen this before. So you can use old ideas, but you need to do it well so the thoughts of the viewers don't start to wander in that direction.
>>
>>143019029
Female MC with yuri harem
>>
>>143022134
Go read fucking Robinson Crusoe or something.
>>
>>143022786

I thought it was because love bullshit and flying out from his portal breaking it? I'm only talking about the series, haven't watched the movies
>>
>>143022838
Exists by the bucketload.
>>
>>143022134
You might be nitpicking too hard on the details
>>
>>143020220
>To be honest "modern equipment vs primitives" is really not that different than hax powers, and it got boring pretty fast, with Gate being the final nail in the coffin for me.
What would interest me more is modern technology being introduced to a society that isn't ready for it.

Would be funny if the MC introduced firearms because his cheat is being a military otaku and he has crafting magic and let's say he is helping one of his haremettes who is the princess of a country to save her country by raising an army for her and arming them with firearms.

But when suddenly any illiterate peasant with a day of training can kill a group of knights trained for years, and suddenly the country is flooded with guns.

In the end the world devolves into bloody chaos as those in power try to use firearms to enforce their reign while the serfs and the workers use firearms to terrorize and raid.

All this because giving these weapons to a society that has no respect for individual human life and liberty is really fucking stupid.

In the end it ends up like those tinpot African dictatorships propped up by crates of old Soviet guns where coups happen every Tuesday and the ones who can pay the most people.
>>
>>143022964
There's a good amount of guntaku isekai and it usually devolves into the same thing of the enemy one upping guns.
>>
>>143022638
"Hasn't been done a lot." "New". "Niche"

I'd pay money for link related as a full series.

http://exhentai.org/g/720177/0396bbc85a/
>>
>>143021993
The videogame mechanics part is the crucial one which is why I listed it at the top. The "cheat" part is also important.
>>
>>143023038
So aim for a very small audience instead of a big audience and hope people notice you? I mean sure why not, right?
>>
File: 1412220022985.jpg (223 KB, 948x400) Image search: [Google]
1412220022985.jpg
223 KB, 948x400
>>143023014
>and it usually devolves into the same thing of the enemy one upping guns.
You mean the enemy is stronger than a gun, or they invent a bigger and badder gun?
>>
>>143019029
An adult MC with work skill like cooking, engineering, management etc. and applying those in the new world. This way there is something we can relate to in a completely different setting where either those skills doesn't exist yet or the MC excels and trumps the competition.
>>
>>143022919
Really? I've been missing out big time, they need anime adapatations
>>
>>143023076
Yeah cause Fate Stay Night sure stayed with a small audience for trying something different in their setting.

Being the "first" in something will bring you a shitton of money, especially in a saturated market that craves something new.

Another similar series was Madoka with its "grimdark mahou shoujo" shit, they managed to steal that lightning from Nanoha who didn't capitalize on it properly (too shounen not enough tragedy)
>>
>>143023131
They're stronger than the guns. The MC wll always build stronger guns for his pals, but the big enemy will render them ineffective because a close confrotation is a more enjoyable conflict rather than a complete stomp.
>>
>>143023169
There are alot of those, I think that's in like the top 5 cliches.
>>
>>143023051
>The videogame mechanics part is the crucial one which is why I listed it at the top
I can agree to that to some degree given 80s/90s and even 00s normally didn't feature it minus a few outliers (Digimon and .hack + SAO though those could be considered "modern" then).

>The "cheat" part is also important.
The "cheat" part has always been part of the Isekai genre though, even back in the 80s/90s and 00s.

The MC is almost always gifted with some sort of superpower for being the "hero"/"chosen one" or because of his knowledge of modern technology or some other magical mcguffin.

Digimon, Escaflowne, Inuyasha, Magic Knight Rayearth, Monster Rancher, etc. all have the MC having some power that makes them necessary for the locals to surpass their troubles.
>>
File: thou art dung.jpg (45 KB, 354x205) Image search: [Google]
thou art dung.jpg
45 KB, 354x205
Fuck you all Ultima is best
>>
File: 1462565802262.png (869 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1462565802262.png
869 KB, 1600x900
>>143020105
Your mother is part of the problem for shitting you out.
>>
>>143023233
>They're stronger than the guns. The MC will always build stronger guns for his pals, but the big enemy will render them ineffective because a close confrotation is a more enjoyable conflict rather than a complete stomp.
Well the value of the gun is that anybody can use one after a day or two.

Individually there might be a handful of of bloody S-class adventurer mercenary or legendary wizards who are bulletproof, but these people can't be everywhere at once.

Guns aren't for a half dozen jokers to stomp all the world's adventurers with, they're for raising a huge peasant army.
>>
>>143023407
What is a Paladin?
>>
>>143019029
make a actual plot,a goal to be achieved.
>>
>>143023541
I want to be the very best
>>
>>143023336
>The MC is almost always gifted with some sort of superpower for being the "hero"/"chosen one" or because of his knowledge of modern technology or some other magical mcguffin.

>Digimon, Escaflowne, Inuyasha, Magic Knight Rayearth, Monster Rancher, etc. all have the MC having some power that makes them necessary for the locals to surpass their troubles.

Yeah, but they never described them with the word "cheat" which is inherently linked with the idea that the world is like a videogame.

Furthermore in those stories where the MC is a chosen one in the past they would have to get used to their power and grapple with its responsibility and the power may also be very situational thus giving the hero's companions a real role to play, whereas nowadays it's more common for them to simply stomp everything from day one and the companions' function is just to be amazed at how sukhoi the MC is.
>>
>>143023565
Fuck off
>>
File: 1304031703761.jpg (24 KB, 191x238) Image search: [Google]
1304031703761.jpg
24 KB, 191x238
Make one about an outlaw who gets transported by in time to the medieval period and has to fight off an undead horde/demons and thwart the resurrection of a demon king.
>>
>>143023593
Cheat is a meta word, that's why. Even if the character doesn't use it, the readers will.
>>
>>143023336
For Rayearth, the special power was "not from Cephiro so can kill Esmeralda-hime." I guess it's a power, but I'm not really sure it fits.
>>
>>143023593
>Yeah, but they never described them with the word "cheat" which is inherently linked with the idea that the world is like a videogame.
No it isn't.

We just call it "magical mcguffin" and "plot armor" but it's still basically the same concept.
>>
>>143023650
How about one where a modern day priest gets teleported to a fantasy world where gods are real, and this causes the modern day world god to also become conceptualized in the new world, and they aim to spread their religion in this world too.

If you want to give them an OP power for more otaku money, make it so that divine power uses faith as a resource, and the "new god" can take divine power from the old world where there's billions of people believing, while in this new world the whole population is just a million or two.
>>
>>143023866
Fair enough. Given I know Rayearth mostly from the game adaptation (or did it predate the anime) I may have overestimated it given you played as them.
>>
>>143023866
It does fit. It's one of the coolest powers in the book too because it makes you super special.
>>
>>143023967
Pretty sure a nip someplace somewhere has done this.
>>
File: 1413349303616.jpg (366 KB, 720x1606) Image search: [Google]
1413349303616.jpg
366 KB, 720x1606
>>143021383
>>143021437
Thanks, but I've already explored these. Well, with the exception of latern.

Anyone know of any ln/wns that have robot waifus for the mc?
>>
>>143019029
Kill it and all the 14 year old ESLfags who like it.
>>
>>143024120
Reminder that Hitler tried and failed
>>
>>143023674
>>143023872
MCs nowadays literally use the word "cheat" to describe their powers.
>>
>>143024206
>Battle academy haremshit and Isekai LNs/WNs are made by jews
I fucking new it.
>>
>>143024220
>nowadays
>source
>now compare to other sources that don't do it
>realize it's a minority
>>
>>143024044
I won't believe it until I see it.
>>
>>143024220
>MCs nowadays literally use the word "cheat" to describe their powers.
Same difference. Poe-tato-Poh-tato, Rose by any other name, etc. It's the same idea. The MC is underpowered if he was a vanilla human in sci-fi/fantasy world so he gets a superpower/supergadget to not be useless.
>>
>>143019029
Remake American classics but into LNs.
>Pendragon
>Magic Tree House
>Narnia
>>
>>143023986
>It's one of the coolest powers in the book
>Three school girls summoned to another world
>help save this world
>go on a trip to gain the power needed
>turns out the world is only in danger because the princess fell in love, and thus could no longer solely focus on maintaining it
>they were summoned specifically to murder the princess
Doesn't sound like such a cool power to me.
>>
>>143023336
Rayearth feels a bit video gamey at times, actually. It's not like it uses video game mechanics, but the first season progresses a bit like a video game, with how the upgrades work, the need to collect them, and also the complete lack of any real world building, they just follow a road through different challenges, while the world they actually are in lacks any depth at all. It's literally just a road with challenges.
It's far from the typical "trapped in an MMO", but it can feel a little bit video gamey at times.
>>
>>143024520
>American classics
>Narnia
>>
>>143024599
>tfw no trapped in a platformer or trapped in a touhou shooter
>>
>>143022582
amagi brilliant park
>>
>>143024634
Y-you get what I meant
>>
>>143024320
>Elf Tensei Kara no Cheat Kenkoku-ki
>Himekishi ga Classmate! 〜Isekai Cheat de Dorei ka Harem〜
>Isekai Cheat Majutsushi
>Konjiki no Word Master ~Yuusha Yonnin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat~
These are just the ones that have "cheat" in the title. There are many others that make reference to "cheat" in the body of the text, such as Master of Monster.
>>
>>143024703
You can also add Konosuba to that list, but it's a parody so I guess that's to be expected.
>>
>>143024599
>Rayearth feels a bit video gamey at times,
It was planned as a game at the same time as the anime was being produced IIRC.

The manga predates both by 2 years but given the anime studio produced the cutscenes for the Saturn game I wouldn't be surprised they took a lot of elements from the game for the first season (which came out half a year after the Saturn game).
>>
So weekly LN writing contest anyone?
If you guys have such great ideas, surely it would work out. No need for excuses such as "I can't write" if you have faith.
>>
>>143024397
The powers these days tend to be bigger game breakers than they used to be. It wasn't so much that their power levels were bigger and badder than everyone else but they had a unique capability that is needed, such as the Digivices or Kagome's spirit power. By comparison you have Death March's MC who is given a free meteor shower and reaches level 9999 on day 1, or Overlord's MC who is an endgame skellington in a world where everybody is a lowbie, or Mushoku Tensor's MC who is a demon god of magic power and can cast with his mind, or Arifureta's MC who has the power to asspull a railgun revolver "ten times more powerful than an antimatter gun", or Suterareta where the MC gains superpowers whenever he is killed.
>>
>>143022182
The psychopath was stupid enough to try and cheat/trick God into not punishing him for being a psychopath after God explicitly told him he was reading his mind.
God punished him via going along with his argument and sending him to an alternate universe with a rough equivalent of magical Nazis. It's actually closer to WW1 desu with a tiny conflict snowballing the fuck out of control.
>>
remove the harem. japs can't write harems properly cause it's always comic relief and/or they're central to the story but written terribly. everything has to revolve around the silly love interest and it's always too forced.
mc against the world because everybody is self-interested and it's realistic not because the mc is an emo faggot
mc gets a friend that isn't comic relief and doesn't exist to prove how awesome the shitty self-insert mc is
the mc actually grows and develops as the story goes along
intrigue that's not childish and actually realistic. in a world where might is right then being righteous is just rhetoric for weak

none of this will happen. japanese authors are mostly socially retarded so they've got no idea how people actually are. that's why their characters and worlds are so unrealistic and silly. if you don't know how humans are then how can you write how they'll act? otaku live in their own world. miyazaki mentioned this and it's true. cause they're in an imaginary world they can't express the really human aspects you'd get from a normal author. this reason is why the characters don't have any real development and the interactions with others are always comic while intrigue and drama is forced bullshit.

i gave up on japanese isekai/webnovels. the ones with interesting premise are usually the worst when it comes to writing. i'd rather just read some chinese story cause they got an interesting premise and the writing is on another level compared to self-insert jap crap.
>>
File: demolition_man_1993_3-1.jpg (187 KB, 1000x1290) Image search: [Google]
demolition_man_1993_3-1.jpg
187 KB, 1000x1290
the future is a peaceful utopia where everyone is a vegan.
a wild supercriminal appears.
unable to deal with it, the vegans forcefully summon a badass cop from the past, to kick the criminal's ass and make the bitches wet.
>>
>>143025018
>removing harems
You gay, anon?
>>
>>143025079
Do you really want 5+ girls bitching at you to open jars for them?
>>
>>143025079
it's either slapping and bushing constantly or the mc is just trying to have sex with every girl possible cause he's horny.

in either case the entire story revolves around this stupid shit. there's not any plot, but always time for some blushing or peaking on accident repeated x1000 times. the only harems jap authors can do is when it's comedy with the girls being all drastically different like subarashii but then it's always gag material and even when the author tries to make some actual story outside the harem it's total shit.
>>
>>143025188
It's a fantasy battleharem. They have enough superpowers to open their own jars.
>>
>>143024958
Using a game term: it's "powercreep" but I don't consider it fundamentally different unless you can tell me where you draw the exact line.
>>
>>143025351
Personally, I draw the line at "videogame".
>>
>>143019029
I'd probably enjoy one with a MC who wasn't a cardboard cutout high school kid.
>>
File: ClJ8N1fVAAEDCsy.jpg (563 KB, 1463x2048) Image search: [Google]
ClJ8N1fVAAEDCsy.jpg
563 KB, 1463x2048
>>143024972
Youjo Senki Vol 6 will be released in July 30

This time, Empire enact Operation notBarbarossa on NotSoviet Russia. Nazi Loli got sent to the Eastern Front
>>
>>143020014
>>143019959
>look mom, look how much i love shitposting
>>
>>143025625
Finally an image where she looks normal
>>
File: ClJ8N1fVAAEDCsy.jpg orig.jpg (811 KB, 2220x3107) Image search: [Google]
ClJ8N1fVAAEDCsy.jpg orig.jpg
811 KB, 2220x3107
>>143025625
>>
>>143025344
You'd think, but that never seems to work.
>>
maybe one day it will prompt actual writers to make stories with that premise except the Japanese equivalent to fanfic authors
>>
>>143025018
>japs can't write harems properly

who can?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.