[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When do you choose to read the manga over its adaptation? When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: 1456181266313.jpg (616 KB, 1000x793) Image search: [Google]
1456181266313.jpg
616 KB, 1000x793
When do you choose to read the manga over its adaptation? When do you do vice-versa?

There are known benefits to either choice, but is your decision fueled by what you feel like doing, or the actual research of finding which version is superior? If its all just a gamble, what are the signs of siding with one over the other?
>>
I just read the manga and not care about the adaption
>>
>>143018078
assuming manga is the original
its always superior
>>
>>143018145
But the application of good animation and sound design can improve a show. Look at something like Ghost in the Shell, or even K-ON.
>>
>>143018078
Watch the anime, read the manga after the point that the anime stops.
>>
>>143018228
K-On isn't a manga, it's a 4-koma.

>>143018383
Just do this, if you like the anime that is, usually you'll find yourself utterly bored with a manga adaptation
>>
>>143018383
>>143018487
Does it really not matter if the anime isn't very faithful to the original? I heard complaints about Dagashi Kashi, but can those just be dismissed as the readers being nit-picky?
>>
>>143018606
If anything, a faithful adaptation just implies it has no reason to exist. One fixing the issues or giving it twists gives it its own identity. It might be worse, but at least it's different
>>
>>143018606
I mean, if you feel like it's not faithful but still enjoyable, just watch it for the character interactions and read the manga in its entirety for plot.

Also, Dagashi felt like it just skipped some chapters but it was still pretty enjoyable for the characters.
>>
>>143018671
>>143018792
I can get that working for things like Gintama, Ippo, or Kaiji, but in other cases like with One Piece wouldn't I be better off reading it all the way?
>>
>>143019163
I think that maybe some people just enjoy the anime medium more. With anime, you can kind of just set it up, grab some food or whatever else, and put it on autopilot.

Unless you have an autoreader or something, can't really do that with manga. I don't think it'd be as enjoyable that way either.

Personally, I'll start watching an adaptation and want to see what happens before the next episode airs next week and just read the manga.
>>
File: image.gif (309 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
309 KB, 480x270
Anime is always better, always. The only case there manga would be better would be if the anime sucked but if the anime and the manga are both good the anime wins every time. There is so much you can do with an anime over a manga which most of the time isn't even colored. Why do you think people are always crying for a season two? If the Manga was better they wouldn't give a damn. Why do you think Fate fans are begging for Heavens feel despite claiming the source material is always better. We already know deep in our hearts anime is better, it's time to stop being a hipster douche bag. Here's another thing you won't get with manga.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbaM-URygs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8muiDhiRb_M
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYV-5TeYfg
>>
Manga is the singular effort of a mangaka bringing his passion and ideas to paper. The art, panel composition, and conveyance of plot and ideas is better 9 times out of 10.

Anime are, in essence, very long commercials for manga and light novels, very few of them are done with any sort of artistic integrity in mind and it shows with the horrendous cut corner backgrounds and QUALITY.

This doesn't apply to all anime, of course. There are also cases where a great director or a dedicated team can make a great manga scene really come to life, but those are the exceptions, especially in todays anime business world.
>>
>>143019642
Is it okay to like Super Driver more than Bouken Desho Desho?
>>
>>143018487
>K-On isn't a manga, it's a 4-koma.
>>
>>143019851
Shitting down your silly argument in one video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZvV2lEJfwg

>>143019887
Sure.
>>
I usually give the anime a shot first unless its widely shunned.
Other than that, I usually give the manga a shot if I ever drop an adaptation. Aria is the biggest example where I dropped the anime but liked the manga afterwards.
>>
File: 1458218830343.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1458218830343.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>143019642
Usually they want a season 2 because they are anime-only fags, the manga doesn't continue past the anime, or there are specific scenes that they'd like to see animated.

You talk like you've never read a manga in your life, namefriend.
>>
>>143020108
>Using a single scene of an animated movie with no manga equivalent.

Okay, if you really feel that way.
>>
>>143020108
That's an original movie, I recognize the art but fuck it that movie is so forgettable. it can't have been good
>>
File: 250.png (8 KB, 203x209) Image search: [Google]
250.png
8 KB, 203x209
>>143018487
>K-On isn't a manga, it's a 4-koma.
>>
>>143020382
K-On is an original show based on an idea originated from a 4koma. It's not an adapatation.
>>
>>143020331
>implying you don't watch anime.
Stop trying to be cool anon. You enjoy anime more and we all know it. There's a reason every anime fan watches anime and only a couple here and there read manga and some who claim to read manga don't even read it. (They just want to fit in)
>>
The manga is better with very few exceptions.

Most anime and manga are shit, but I can pretend more of the shit is actually good/decent in manga because more is left to my imagination. Plus, manga can go into much greater detail and still convey the same events faster because reading is much faster than speaking. So I effectively get more, higher quality content with manga. A shoestring animation budget, gutted story, and generic jpop do not make for a better experience.
>>
>>143020447
I watch anime too, but I don't crave the stimulation of moving pictures like you do. I can enjoy either medium and appreciate what they bring to the table.
>>
I never watch the anime without reading the manga, unless it's not scanlated, but I often read the manga without watching the anime. There are times when I actually would consider the adaptation an equal or superior version of the manga, such as when it improves the artstyle of an artists earlier works, like Kaiji.
>>
>>143021932
>I never
There is usually no better way to tell if a person is lying then if they say "Never" at any point unless it's a fact.
>>
>>143020877
I can appreciate both as well but anime is simply the better form of entertainment. The only reason I'd ever read a manga is if the anime ended short or if there's no anime adaptation or if I'm traveling but other than that I always go for the anime.
>>
File: 250.png (14 KB, 203x209) Image search: [Google]
250.png
14 KB, 203x209
>>143020382
For future use.
>>
>>143022305
There are inherent flaws in both. Neither is simply better.
>>
>>143022544
Except for anime, that's totally better.
>>
>>143018078
But the VA cast for the manga is absolutely lacking and the OST is so bland that it feels like it's not even there. I'd rather watch the anime first, then continue with the manga from where it stopped or read the entire manga afterwards in case the anime skipped stuff.
>>
>>143022590
I appreciate you bumping the thread, but I'm done biting.
>>
The manga is better most of the time but the scanlations are not. If the scanlations are bad the only options you have are to import and read in nip, which I'm sure like 98% of the people here cannot do, or buy localized manga which can take forever to come out and even then be questionable in quality. Or read the shitty scanlation if it's available which in that case you're better off watching the adaptation because you're just ruining it with bad translations and quality.
>>
Depends upon the case, but there is a reason why people sometimes complain about pure secondaries.

Also, people assume that adaptation and the original source are still basically the same thing while in too many cases thanks to the changes of format/narration/plot it's just too different to be considered the same, so while people might assume that they are talking about the same series, they are actually talking about two different one and then these differences collide and cause frustration.
>>
Generally I read the manga first and if I like the manga I go watch the anime.
>>
>>143022878
I'm glad you've accepted your fate.
>>
>>143023058
No anon, the anime is literally better because you can do way more with the whole thing in general, the only case the manga would be better is if the anime was total shit and the manga was good but that's pretty much it. You could make the case that manga is better because it's longer but that's not better its just more content. The amount of manga the anime usually did cover is enter than the manga itself unless like I said, the anime is total shit.
>>
>>143024287
>better than the manga itself
>>
>>143024287
>because you can do way more with the whole thing in general
Except that isn't the case for the most part.
If anime had unlimited budget, yeah. Most the time adaptions are low budget garbage though.
>>
>>143024560
They have a bigger budget than manga.
>>
>>143024560
Evangelion had a low budget.
>>
>>143025134
Yes, and it showed.

>>143025092
Manga budget hardly matters. That's the difference. You just need people to draw, do backgrounds, etc. There is no fucking budget.

With anime you need to pay voice actors, animators, directors, sound/music, whatever. It's much more expensive.
>>
>>143018145
nichijou was better than the manga
>>
>>143025221
Listen to what you just said. That's why anime is better.
>>
>>143019642
>tripfag is has retarded opinions
Wow who would've guessed.
That's another one for the filter.
>>
>>143025689
No it isn't you fucking retard, that doesn't make any sense. Manga doesn't need a budget to be good, because anyone can draw it and there are less restrictions. Anime has too many things that can and do go wrong.
>>
>>143025710
>random anon doesn't how to articulate his argument so chooses the easy way out

Typical.
>>
>>143025739
That's that saying a sling shot is better than a gun because it's simpler.

>fucking retard
did you honestly think this would help me respect your opinion anon? I'm disappointed.
>>
>>143019642
>anime is always better
Berserk
>>
>>143025882
Not my fault you're a fucking dumbass. It's more like comparing an AK-47 to an L85. Just because one is cheaper and more simple doesn't make it worse.
>>
I think the only manga I read because the anime was crap is Kingdom.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 1024x842) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 1024x842
>>143026061
You live a sad life anon. Anime is better and you know you watch it.
>>
>>143026061
A slingshots more accurate btw because the manga usually doesn't have even 1/10 what the anime can produce. Voice actors, moving animation, music, Etc. manga isn't even in color most of the time.
>>
>>143026135
Of course I watch it you bumbling fucktard. Manga is generally better, but I watch anime for
-Mecha, which is shit in manga form
-Comedy
-SoL
-Harem

And a few other genres. Action is fun too to see the action scenes animated.
>>
>>143026311
>bumbling fucktard
read what you just wrote and once again anon, your profanity isn't helping your case.
>>
File: 1434858657877.png (149 KB, 241x295) Image search: [Google]
1434858657877.png
149 KB, 241x295
>>143026379
>>
>>143026486
I'm not talking, I'm typing.
>>
>>143022305
some stories work better in different mediums. You can't tell something like andrei rublev in literature, and you can't tell Finnegans wake in film.
>>
>>143026949
Are you sure it's not just you lacking in imagination?
>>
>>143026997
What? Different mediums have different capabilities? How would you portray rublevs 9 minute walking scene? Then the man walked across the empty pool for a very long time? How would you portray ANY of finnegans wake in any other medium from literature?
>>
>>143027299
I'm not paid to figure out how to animate things but I'm sure somebody could figure it out.
>>
>>143018145
Depends on the original source.
How many manga have been better than the anime when the source was an LN?

I can only think of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.
>>
>>143027559
The anon obviously meant anime has the potential to be better,but it almost never actually happens.

There is no reason for you to use a name btw.
>>
>>143027686
Black Bullet, as short as it was, is actually better in adapting the first volume of the LN as opposed to the first four episodes of the anime.

The second manga adaptation of Infinite Stratos goes the extra hand of fleshing out its characters more so than the LN and the anime.
>>
>>143027853
I originally asked about manga that were better than the anime AND the LN, but I cut it down.
After I posted I realized I could've included Black Bullet and Shomin Sample.

Haven't read the second IS manga.
>>
>>143027771
thats an opinion. It's not a good one either.
>>
>>143027965
The second IS manga while loyally adapting the source material does some rewriting of its own and generally tones down the violent outbursts of the haremettes. Most noticeable would be Cecilia's: her fight with Ichika is totally changed (it's more believable on how she's fallen for him) and there's already signs for her upcoming training arc even though that actually happen later on in the LN.
>>
File: 9d1e0302a0c784804c8b56dcc458cb19.jpg (477 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
9d1e0302a0c784804c8b56dcc458cb19.jpg
477 KB, 1500x1500
>>143018145
>manga is always superior

Nigga, please.
>>
File: image.gif (530 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
530 KB, 900x506
This would never happen in Manga.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.