[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>During my adventures on the Japanese web, I rarely see people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
>During my adventures on the Japanese web, I rarely see people say anything good about the recent trend towards isekai (“stuck in another world”) stories, particularly in light novels and web novels. The stories are frequently dismissed as shallow, masturbatory and full of cheap wish fulfillment. It’s overdone, they say. It’s trite and cliche. Stop adapting so many of these stories into anime.

>Japanese readers have even come up with memes to make fun of the recent trends. 「俺TUEEEE」(“I’m so stroooooong”) basically means “Overpowered MC”. When a story is filled to the brim with all the various wish fulfillment tropes, it’s referred to as a narou-type work. Narou comes from Shousetsuka ni Narou! (“Let’s become a novelist!”), which is far and away the most popular website for posting amateur web novels. If you check out the top-ranked series, the vast majority are isekai stories where the MC does pretty much nothing to earn his 俺TUEEEE status.

>The Japanese fandom is like the English fandom in the sense that the majority of internet commentary about this trend is snarky and negative, but a significant number of people are hooked on these stories nevertheless. There are plenty of netizens who attempt to explain the appeal of the narou genre, but because they’re clearly disdainful of it, their explanations occasionally seem condescending, even pathologising (e.g. “it’s a shallow power fantasy aimed at nerds who will never find a girlfriend!”)

Why is this a thing and how do we stop it?
>>
I'm not against isekai shit but when it goes into bullshit like "hurr durr i got a cheat ability" or "i was the weakest but something happened to me so now i'm OP as fuck"

Zero no Tsukaima, Grimgar, Re:Zero, and KonoSuba were good.
>>
>>142778278
>Why is this a thing
Because there is a market for it.
>and how do we stop it?
We don't.

There's more anime getting made than ever. You are not losing out on what you want to watch because of these shows. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
>>
>>142778278
cool story aniki
>>
I might start complain when there is atleast 3-4 isekai anime with awesome mc per season. Unfortunately anime is still algging behind times and we have retarded harems with dense dumb loser impotent faggots like hundred, re:zero and konosuba.
>>
Pirates and juus dont buy BDs, so nothing can be done ne about it. The most realistic thig here is that learn the langiage enough to write a good isekai web novel than will be adpted into anim to overshadow the shit you hate
>>
>>142778500
>Pirates and juus dont buy BDs,
Factually wrong.
>>
>>142778278
Would /a/ watch a Isekai show with a weak MC that gains stronger only through realistic means like connections with people and not be literal jesus?
>>
>Coiling Dragon
>Stellar Transformation
>Desolate Era
>The Nine Cauldrons
They arr rook the same
Fuck Japan
>>
Narou novels are absolute shit, and even the wishfullfillment LN which are released in the market is a million times better.
>>
>>142778461
>I might start complain when there is atleast 3-4 isekai anime with awesome mc per season
>awesome MC
>complain
Why?
>>
>>142778602
But Log Horizon was a Narou novel.
>>
File: autist.png (143 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
autist.png
143 KB, 800x1000
>>142778461
>re:zero
>harem
>>
File: Shiba-Tatsuya-the-best[1].jpg (34 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
Shiba-Tatsuya-the-best[1].jpg
34 KB, 680x383
>>142778278
>俺TUEEEE
>google this
>almost half the image results are of onii-sama
Kek
>>
>>142778722
It also was shit.
Besides Database. Can't beat Database
>>
>>142778900
who?
>>
>>142778900
Fuck off.
>>
File: erin_by_elehoernchen-d3bgy7a.png (398 KB, 400x764) Image search: [Google]
erin_by_elehoernchen-d3bgy7a.png
398 KB, 400x764
>>142778278
>Why is this a thing and how do we stop it?

Make Erin S2.
>>
>>142778278
>but a significant number of people are hooked on these stories nevertheless

Fucking Overlord fanbase calling it "the next fantasy classic"
>>
File: 5576204782584.jpg (221 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
5576204782584.jpg
221 KB, 640x359
>>142778437
>There's more anime getting made than ever

No more WMT-type shows.
>>
>>142778278
>Why is this a thing?
Sword Art Online.

>how do we stop it?
I wish I knew. I enjoy a couple isekai type stories (ZnT, Overlord, Log Horizon) but it needs to fucking stop holy shit.
>>
>>142779228
>Sword Art Online

Nope. It was that fucker Mushoku Tensei who started it.
>>
>>142779228
>Sword Art Online
>blaming a "trapped in an MMORPG" anime for the "summoned to another world" genre
>>
>>142778278
> I rarely see people say anything good about the recent trend towards isekai (“stuck in another world”) stories

They're often written as wish fulfilment crap. Japan has had an obsession with Alice in Wonderland for a long time now, and many writers try to mimic the rabbit hole story, without understanding what makes it so good. Miyazaki is one of the few writers, who has had success with this genre (Spirited Away).

Wonderland is our world seen through the eyes of a child.
>>
>>142779202
That is truly a loss, but unrelated to the topic at hand.
>>
>>142779295
Same shit. Same wish fulfillment bullshit mary sue garbage, it just uses an MMO instead of some stupid fantasy land.
>>
>>142779279
No, it's that fucker Mamare's fault for writing MaouYuusha and Log Horizon in quick succession and having both of them become runaway hits.
>>
It's not like this "regular douchebag turns out to be a great genius when put into a novel situation" is something new, it's simple wish fulfillment. You can associate with the protagonist, thinking it's not your own limitation but the world's fault you're not special.

The issue is that the industry is so stripped with money and source material they need to animate something that should ideally be left as fanfic-tier literature in some dark cesspool of the internet.
>>
either we get masturbatory fantasy or a wimp mc who cant do shit, plz find middle ground
>>
Isekai is becoming its own genre like mecha. Just fucking deal with it.

I'm pretty sure Sci-Fi purist back then were getting just as upset at the impracticality of standing bipedal mecha when they became a thing. Soon we'll have an /isk/ board.
>>
Niggas should learn from Narnia. Bitches become kings only to be normal schoolboys afterwards. The pain is real.
>>
>>142778278
There is something about alternative worlds that cheapens the fantasy anime a bit, but it can still be good, and it also brings in some new elements you couldn't have in a pure fantasy world anime.
The problem is "trapped in an MMO" though, the game mechanics makes the world cheap and unbelievable, even if "MMO" isn't outright stated. Like Grimgar, great anime that I loved, but every time they explained the money system or learnt spells it ruined it a bit.

For trapped in another world, I really love Magic Knight Rayearth, and Digimon is pretty nice. I know Escaflowne too is popular, although it wasn't my favorite, it was still pretty good.
>>
File: e58.jpg (26 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
e58.jpg
26 KB, 500x370
>>142779331
>Miyazaki
>Writer
>>
I blame Isekai for the negative attitude people have towards LNs.
The LN section at Barnes & Noble is inevitably chockers with them, and they're all fucking the same. They've forced out the YenPress Haruhi books, the bastards.
>>
>>142779493
>The problem is "trapped in an MMO" though, the game mechanics makes the world cheap and unbelievable, even if "MMO" isn't outright stated. Like Grimgar, great anime that I loved, but every time they explained the money system or learnt spells it ruined it a bit.
I'd rather a "trapped in an MMO" setting with game mechanics that make the world cheap and unbelievable than a "summoned to another world that happens to work just like an MMO" setting with game mechanics that make he world even cheaper and more unbelievable.
>>
>>142779228
>Sword Art Online
>Not Alice in Wonderland or Wizard of Oz

Come on sempai, step it up.
>>
>>142779516
The worst part is how some of them have absolutely gorgeous illustrations that don't belong in those trashy stories.
>>
>>142779516
>I blame Isekai for the negative attitude people have towards LNs.
>The LN section at Barnes & Noble is inevitably chockers with them, and they're all fucking the same. They've forced out the YenPress Haruhi books, the bastards.
What? The Yen Press isekai push barely started less than a month ago, it hasn't had any time to settle in yet. The hell are you talking about?
>>
>>142779554
Reminder that there is already a perfect 4 cour Wizard of Oz anime.
>>
>>142779493
>I really love Magic Knight Rayearth

I couldn't watch the second season

It's one of the few times I've dropped an anime after 3 episodes
>>
>>142779554
He's talking about the recent spate of endless generic MMO/isekai stories, not the reason japan loves isekai in the first place.
>>
File: 1316570609815.png (61 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1316570609815.png
61 KB, 235x235
>>142778278
Think of it this way.
If something else became really popular, you would hate that.
Sometimes you'd even hate your favourite setting if it becomes too popular.

SOMETHING needs to gather the eyes so your niche 'unique' anime can remain 'unique'.

When I asked for more fantasy and medieval stuff, I didn't want fucking game mechanics in there, too, but that's the world we live in.
>>
>>142778900
>digibro
leave and never come back
>>
>>142778278
I like fantasy anime. Pure fantasy tends to be rare, so I'll take the isekai stuff as a reasonable substitute.

I also like games, so sometimes if the mechanics are interesting that 'stuck in a game-type world' stuff can be okay. SAO, for being stuck in a game and the MC supposedly being interested in games, is super light on actual game relevance, and is retarded for it. Others make pretty good use of it like Log Horizon or Konosuba.
>>
>>142779680
I just want at least one good anime per season for my favorite genres, anon.
>>
>>142779584
SAO and Log Horizon have been out in English for around a couple years now. Am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>>142779425
>>142779434
It would work better if the main character's knowledge from the real world was applied to situations the locals couldn't control without him turning into samurai Jesus. Like they're all dying from horrible diseases and he washes his hands and boils the water.
>>
>>142779680
When much of fantasy settings goes back to a fucking game it's to be expected to have game elements in there.
>>
>>142779712
>is super light on actual game relevance

It doesn't need to. Reki is actually writing on VR, not RPG games, which is why we get Alicization.
>>
>>142779712
We haven't had a hard fantasy in a while. Starting to miss those DnD style anime.
>>
>>142779712
>super light on actual game relevance
Which is a fucking shame, cuz some of the games (SAO, GGO) are actually fucking interesting. But Reki Kawahara is a shit writer, so he can't deliver.
>>
>>142779736
Oh yeah, I hate that shit. Making the locals look bugfuck retarded without common sense just so the hero could get praised for his "clever" Wikipedia 21st century knowledge.
>>
>>142779736
Which would be pointless unless he has Mary Sue charismatic powers to make everyone follow his example
>>
Other world stories have a lot of potential if written well. You can get away with a lot of taboo social commentary.
>>
>>142779736
There's a bunch of those novels in Narou as well. Problem is the author usually suck so hard it's hard to do it without turning comical.

There was a Japanese meme about a Narou novel, in which the Japanese protagonist who entered some medieval fantasy world is treated as a genius simply because he teaches the locals that you can flip a steak while cooking it, so it burns more even.
>>
>>142779799
>cuz some of the games (SAO, GGO) are actually fucking interesting

It's just WoW and CoD.
>>
File: 1234134123.jpg (68 KB, 471x454) Image search: [Google]
1234134123.jpg
68 KB, 471x454
>>142779661
>>
>>142779799
>SAO, GGO
>interesting
Fuck no. The settings and the mechanics were garbage from the start.
>>
>>142779760
Yes but why do all "trapped in another world" or fantasy anime HAVE to include them?
The point I'm making is there's too many, calm down. It's not like I want to eliminate every anime that has these elements.
>>
>>142779832
>There was a Japanese meme about a Narou novel, in which the Japanese protagonist who entered some medieval fantasy world is treated as a genius simply because he teaches the locals that you can flip a steak while cooking it, so it burns more even.

Wow, seriously?

Fucking faggots should learn about actual medieval history before writing about them.
>>
>>142779730
SAO isn't isekai and Log Horizon is ONE series, and hardly their most popular offering.
>>
>>142779851
RECENT, you retard. Also .hack is as bad as the rest of them, aside from the music.
>>
File: azurekite.jpg (18 KB, 271x429) Image search: [Google]
azurekite.jpg
18 KB, 271x429
>>142779851
Don't you dare bring .hack// into this argument.
>>
>>142779824
>You can get away with a lot of taboo social commentary

Japs don't have the talent or balls to write funny social commentary like Dickens. Japan has a lot of horrible shit that could make good black comedy.
>>
>>142779657
I agree the second season started really slow, I may not have been able to get into it if I weren't on a really long train ride forcing me to watch seven episodes in a row to get some plot development, but even though it started slow, I eventually started to really love the second season, perhaps more than the first. It stops being so slow and boring after a while too, I just really started to enjoy watching stuff. And I didn't even realize how great Umi is until the very end, if I realized that earlier I may have liked it even more.
The visuals, the music. I just love it. And those triangular colourless corridors that so much of the anime takes place in, it's so memorable and really builds up the mood, it really shows how the castle is to live in, and helps illustrate the trappedness. Also, the small hints to that thing I don't remember what looked like anymore. It was so great. I can agree that it was a bit too dark at times, but I still loved it, and the visuals were great. And it just made that one episode with the Mokona song stand out more.
>>
I don't care if nips want to write and self publish these stories online, but stop adapting them to anime.
>>
>>142779434
That's not the problem. The problem is how the MC is either written as this massively horrible person or he's just written boringly. There is no likable character in him.
>>
>>142779824
>You can get away with a lot of taboo social commentary
You mean like "slaves are bad, 'mmmkay, but since that's how the morals of this world work I'll buy one anyways. It's a-okay since I'll treat her nicely aside from trying to brainwash her into a sex slave!"
>>
>>142779202
>found a fantasy story on Syosetu that plays out like a WMT
>it's not translated

Where can I whore this shit for translation?
>>
>>142779881
>Fucking faggots should learn about actual medieval history before writing about them.
That's the problem with Narou. Most of the authors there has little education, and from the way they write it's obvious they have not read more than a couple of actual novels in their life. So their frame of reference is extremely narrow, and only understandable by those who are so invested in the genre they can't question it. But occasionally 2ch gets a hand on particularly hilarious passages that make out of their website.
>>
>>142779979
Subaru is neither of those things and yet /a/ loathes him with a passion.
>>
>>142779893
>SAO isn't isekai
It's not? Well shit
>>
>>142779832
>>142779823
>>142779807
'Sucked into another world' stories are inherently comical when done right. If it's going to be a serious drama, there's no point in making the MC an outsider to the entire reality. Just have him be from out of town or something like other works. Any good story is stranger in a strange land at the lowest level.
>>
File: 1444466852979.jpg (73 KB, 888x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444466852979.jpg
73 KB, 888x1080
>>142779911
>Why is this a thing and how do we stop it?
>No mention of timeframe

No anon, you're the retard.
>>
well, begin a nerd that will never find a girlfriend, isekai stories are my jam. I can never get tired of them, and that self insert into a loving gf and a place in society gets me every-time.

Stories serve two purposes:
1) escape from reality
2) commentary on reality

Is it so far fetched to think that a country in an unending recession, horrible work conditions, and no hope for the future for the younger generation (stable job, loving family) produces isekai works?

Is it too much to think that the appeal of these stories will resonate with a core audience of young males with low job/romantic prospects (most of a/, parts of le reddit)?

I don't think so. I think these stories do what every good product in an economy does; fulfill the need of a niche consumer. It just so happens that the niche is this case are outcasts of society.
>>
>>142779986
>slaves are bad

I'd just read Uncle Tom's Cabin.
>>
>>142780036
/a/ loathes everything.
>>
>>142779869
Games include so many elements it's hard to write something completely without any game elements.
>>
>>142780061
>'Sucked into another world' stories are inherently comical when done right

Nah, I'm still waiting for a legit "useless hikkikomori repents in a harsh world" story.
>>
>>142778278
Easy
Let them write about a boy falls in love with a girl.
>>
>>142779584
>isekai push
As opposed to the battleharem push they were making already?
>>
>>142780081
Don't be pedantic, we all know that "game elements" refer to those cringe-worthy setting details like status windows and level-up mechanics and skill systems.
>>
>>142780036
Subaru is supposed to be funny but I'm not laughing.
>>
>>142779131
They adapted the novels in full, but they could adapt the manga as well as it it's pretty different to the novel/anime.
>>
>>142779760
You don't need to have game mechanics in an anime based on a video game. You can take the setting and story, but tell it in a realistic way. Pokemon is a great example, it's based on a video game, but the battles are adapted to be more realistic. I know I'm in minority here, most people wish the pokemon anime would be a literal let's play, but it's an example that you don't need to follow game mechanics to tell a story from a video game.
>>
>>142779851
Main difference was that Sign was about one person stuck in an MMO, while the game was still regularly functioning. So everyone else was playing as normal trying to find out why the fuck this one guy was stuck, while also introspective about why they're all such losers to be using an MMO as an escape.

It's pretty far reaching to consider it on the same level as the other MMO/isekai shows.
>>
>>142780118
There are literally thousands of those already.

Don't think you're unique and special in hating the stereotypical isekai premise. There are almost as many stories dedicated to shitting on them as there are ones that play the premise straight at this point. They're usually needlessly edgy and just as cringe as the thing they're trying to parody too.
>>
>>142780180
>They adapted the novels in full

No, they only adapted half of them. The author actually got ideas after being asked about things by the production crew so she wrote two more sequels.
>>
Has anyone tried to write a reverse of the "stuck in another world" setting but having a character from another world come to Earth and not being able to adjust leading to comedic situations? I know the first FMA anime adaptation did that but my mind is wandering at the moment.
>>
Mondaijitachi was pretty fun, but I think it helped how the main character guy had only a little dialogue from what I remember, and how the characters didn't act like they were super weak even though they were the most overpowered fuckers around.

Maybe I have some sort of weird nostalgia for it.
>>
>>142780118
That would still be a black comedy. It's impossible otherwise. A morose doorstopper about an impotent protagonist suffering for his failings would be unreadable.
>>
>>142780240
>There are literally thousands of those already.

Name one that is good.

>>142780252
Yes, that had been done.
>>
>>142780252
Wow, it's not like The Devil Is a Part-Timer was one of the most popular anime on /a/ during the season its aired or anything.
>>
File: being this retarded.jpg (62 KB, 847x471) Image search: [Google]
being this retarded.jpg
62 KB, 847x471
>>142780164
>Subaru is supposed to be funny
No, no he's not. You literally missed the entire point of his character. He tries to turn everything into a joke because he can't confront things seriously.
>>
>>142780243
Seriously? Are they translated.
>>
>>142780252
That's so common that I'm not sure where I should begin listing things like that.
>>
>>142780134
FINDS
>>
>>142780279
>Name one that is good.
Re:Zero
>>
File: remi nobody's girl nina.jpg (132 KB, 633x480) Image search: [Google]
remi nobody's girl nina.jpg
132 KB, 633x480
>>142780268
>A morose doorstopper about an impotent protagonist suffering for his failings would be unreadable

I read Nobody's Boy so I should be fine. Wasn't a doorstopper though.
>>
>>142778278
I'm not surprised that Japan has actually taken to Isekai so fucking hard.
They used to have hard-ons for the past when they were Samurai, back when they were great warriors and men of worth.
That dream died out last century and their work took a turn from being men to rebelling against the society which stifles them leading to a large rise in Delinquent and Yakuza works going on about muh honor.

At this point, people are so disenfranchised with the concept of fitting in to society in any way that they've decided "Fuck it, I'm going to another world completely where I can be fucking amazing."
And you know what? It fucking works. It works astoundingly well because society is fucked in Japan and the only escape at this point isn't wishing for better times like the old days or starting your own counterculture.
No, it's literally getting the fuck out of society and finding a better world to live in.

Japan is fucked, enjoy the Isekai because at this point they're going to struggle to escape harder from reality than they already are.
>>
>>142780296
Oh wait, I confused him with the lead of Konosuba.
>>
>>142778278
Reminder that normies have jumped on the isekai bandwagon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramaworld
>>
>>142780268
Also, there would be cheerful moments of course just to make the hardships more painful
>>
>>142780342
Samurai fiction was still popular some decades ago
>>
>>142780342
>And you know what? It fucking works. It works astoundingly well because society is fucked in Japan and the only escape at this point isn't wishing for better times like the old days or starting your own counterculture.
This isn't unique to Japan. Hence why the genre is even more popular in shitholes like China and Russia.
>>
>>142780342
>Japan is fucked, enjoy the Isekai because at this point they're going to struggle to escape harder from reality than they already are.
That's why the isekai genre is mainly aimed at twelve year olds right? This is why 2ch and internet dwellers who are older make fun of it, while it remains popular. Because the people who read it are children.

This isn't unique to Japan. Just look at Harry Potter fanfics in the west. Escapism is very normal among teens.
>>
>>142780433
>Just look at Harry Potter fanfics in the west
>the most popular HP fanfic is this edgy overpowered Harry story

Point proven.
>>
>>142780389
>this is honestly one of the most clever and connective plots i have ever seen
no one has ever really thought of turning the ridiculous deus ex machina in k-drama into the foundation of the story... it's also relatable to the viewers and integrates the idea of american-korean collaboration dramas... this is a complete masterpiece. it deserves a lot of exposure and i hope it gets a huge audience and succeeds, it's just too great to miss

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>142780389
>indie film
>normies
>>142780407
It would still end up as a rewrite Kubrick's version of Barry Lyndon at best.
>>142780240
It's starting to sound like peoples' only issue with Isekai stories is the writing quality. What's the point of this thread, then? Bad Japanese writing in general?
>>
>>142780433
>That's why the isekai genre is mainly aimed at thirty two year old shut-ins right? This is why 2ch and internet dwellers who are well-adjusted make fun of it, while it remains popular. Because the people who read it are manchildren.
FTFY.
>>
>>142780389

Why are k-dramas so big with females? A lot of them feel cheap and shallow.
>>
File: 1422046220416.jpg (31 KB, 638x540) Image search: [Google]
1422046220416.jpg
31 KB, 638x540
ITT: People try to understand why a medium built on escapism is currently full of successful stories about escapism.

Oh /a/.
>>
>>142780558
>Dramaworld is co-produced by video-streaming platform Viki, China’s Jetavana Entertainment, South Korea's EnterMedia Contents and US Third Culture Content
>indie
>>
>>142780421
Well yeah, Samurai fucking kick ass but it's not as hugely popular as it was.

>>142780432
Right.

>>142780433
Yeah but the escapism isn't the same as what Isekai is bringing to the table.
Harry Potter isn't Shieldbro tier amazing, he's not someone that has the generic background that generally appeals to the people who real Isekai novels.

Everyone, not just teens love Escapism but Isekai's protagonists have been hitting the power fantasy and self-fulfillment so hard that they're not even really stories at their core but just ego masturbation to help shut-ins escape.
>>
>>142780577
It's anime for normies.
>>
>>142780558
>What's the point of this thread, then?

Bitching. It's what /a/ does best.
>>
>>142780577
>A lot of them feel cheap and shallow
You could say the same about any medium.
>>
>>142780621
Irrelevant-die.
>>
>>142780252
"Fish out of water" is old as hell.
It's the crux of Yotsuba&. It's the entire shtick of Fumoffu. Crocodile Dundee. Don Quixote.
>>
>>142780433
West also has many of these stories where an orphan is actually the son of super important man which allows the main character to escape poverty and squalor
>>
>>142780619
All mediums are generally escapism. What's your point, greatly observant anon?
>>
>>142780675
>Walking into a gay bar and wondering why everyone is gay
>>
>>142780568
This. Don't even try to pretend Gate is anything other than wish-fulfillment for sad otakus, half of whom probably regretted the MC wasn't as strong as Kirito.
>>
>>142780675
I don't agree, many stories in books and film make you think, you actually get to reflect a bit about your life.
>>
I honestly don't understand why new /a/ eats up this shit

Niggers here unironically like SAO and onii sama now

Meanwhile thousands of actually good LNs go unread by you niggers because the demand is for trashy wish fulfilment crap that isn't even well written translated by a chink or indian squatting in a hut with a zopo phone
>>
>>142780639
>Harry Potter isn't Shieldbro tier amazing, he's not someone that has the generic background that generally appeals to the people who real Isekai novels.
What? Are you shitting me? Are you forgetting that he was a friendless skinny nerdy kid abused by his adoptive family at the beginning of the story that finds out he's actually a super-famous wizard celebrity and gets to escape his horrible situation by going to a cool magic academy?

It hits all the same escapist beats as any isekai series does. Hell, it basically IS an isekai if you consider the magical world separate from the muggle one, and it might as well be.
>>
>>142780703
No-one here is wondering why Nips are how they are.
Most of us here are well aware of how shit life is. Hell, it's the reason we're all here talking to each-other about Taiwanese cave paintings.
>>
>>142779516
Not a murrikan so I can't speak for Barnes and Noble, but the manga shelf at Foyles where they also put the LNs had Black Bullet, Maou-sama, Index, Sword Art Online, Spice and Wolf, NGNL, and Strike the Blood on it the last time I visited, which is hardly an isekai takeover.
>>
>>142780568
>This is why 2ch and internet dwellers who are well-adjusted make fun of it
See 2ch users aren't well-adjusted, but even they think narou novels are silly. It's like 4chan making fun of Gaia, it's different age groups and target audiences.
>>
>escapism is bad
Shut up Marche
>>
>>142780741
It's actually written well though.
>>
>>142780717
>you actually get to reflect a bit about your life.

That's all well and good but people don't generally watch any given show, read any given book, watch any given movie because they want to think to themselves. "I wonder how this is going to change my life."

Of course, there will be each category which does that but 99% of the time, it's just pure escapism regardless of the medium.
>>
>>142780741
Harry had to fight legitimate threats though, and his life in the magical world slowly grew worse over time. He wasn't invincible and had his shit kicked in almost every novel.
>>
File: 1464868765530.jpg (83 KB, 315x450) Image search: [Google]
1464868765530.jpg
83 KB, 315x450
I miss the trend of shitty imouto anime that followed Oreimo. It was better than isekai at least
>>
>>142780774
>See 2ch users aren't well-adjusted
You're confusing 2ch with 2chan.

2ch has considerably more mainstream success than 4chan and 2chan do. It's not the "RIAJUU GET OUT REEEEEEE" den you think it is.

It's more akin to Reddit, really.
>>
>>142778278
>how do we stop it?
Can't.
>>
>>142780741
He's not exactly as Mary-sue as Shieldbro was. Shieldbro was literally some no-name who basically relied on the fact the Queen was sucking his dick to get her to do whatever he wanted.
Harry Potter at the very least had to do some actual work for his faggotry.
>>
>>142780823
Well fair enough.
>>
>>142780841

How long until we get a Christmas cake trend?
>>
>Why is this a thing and how do we stop it
>>>/pol/
>>
>>142780879
Not in Japan. Too much love for the moe, friend and Christmas Cakes aren't deemed moe enough.
>>
>>142780879
I fucking wish.
>>
>>142780841
>I miss the trend of shitty imouto anime that followed Oreimo. It was better than isekai at least
But it never ended.
More than ever, imoutos have become a basic requirement for your average harem anime.
>>
>>142780741
that's just the call to adventure section of the the hero's journey or literally any story where magic and secret societies are discovered by the protagonist are isekai.
>>
>>142778764
He's surrounded by girls, most of whom have some sort or romantic or affectionate relationship with him. Even if it's not a harem it's clearly waifubaiting at the very least.
>>
>>142780879
>>142780906
Ironically isekai actually has introduced a certain Christmas cake trend.

A good number of female isekai protagonists are Christmas cake office ladies. It's basically the female equivalent of the wizard NEET. It usually gets ruined pretty shortly in by them reincarnating as a young oujo-sama villain though.
>>
>>142780879
>teenage MC is transported to a fantasy realm where all of the women are over 35
This could be a comedy masterpiece.
>>
>>142780342

You know what I miss more?

When 90's and early 2000's anime had themes of how the future would hold the possibility of potential and prosperity for everyone, and overcome all evil stupid shit.

I'm not saying that "90's are forever best, going to stick my dick into this DVD of Gundam 0079" but if anything I pin this on nothing more but decadence and overreliance of Japan's society on the US and western world. It was great how the Empire of Japan was taken down because they were nothing but fucktard hypocrites, but fuck, since post 9/11 Japan's oddly gotten really lazy and unmotivated to do jackshit.

I'm saying this because, sadly, unlike the US, Japan has more potential growth without bullshit religio-socio-political fuckery to do the things that the US can't do due to how large the backwater Pro Waco Rush Limbaugh and Timothy McVeigh WASP Prosperity Gospel Christian Identity fucktard population is, that the government budget is set towards military spending and covering corporate asses from getting fucked, we have the former said fuckers in seats of government power, and where this economy, no matter how much people are doing, no matter how much the corporations are doing, is going to tank eventually because of illicit business practices and exploitation of capitalist economic options. Not to even forget racial and cultural issues that people love to attempt to leave in the dust but its ghosts love to come back to haunt the everliving shit out of.

All Japan's worries are is shit schooling, a laughably small right wing, and this thread topic. Japan could fuck themselves back to a healthy population in no time, let me tell you that.
>>
>>142780989
Yeah but what do you think the chances are of CC Protagonists actually becoming a proper trend to the point we'll see them in LN adaptions by [your favourite studio]?

It'll never take off. Though if it does and I'm wrong, I will have zero regrets and I will watch the fuck out of those shows.
>>
>>142778278
>how do we stop it?
Write your own novel that exceeds all shitty isekai novels. You might even get anime adaptation and lots of money.
>>
I thought /a/ liked Digimon.
>>
>>142780919
>>142780906

How about this?
>The Cute Girl I was up all Night Playing MMORPGs with Turned Out to be My Sensei
A student who is absorbed into a popular MMORPG learns that the partner he has been playing with all these years and who confessed to him is really his sensei from school.

>I swear I've Seen That Transfer Student Somewhere Before But I Can't Recall Where
Motivated by love. A female teacher decides to win the affection of one of her students, however she would heavily risk losing her job if she so much as went after him. Coming up with a crafty scheme, the Cake becomes a student in her own class to win the boy's heart however her plan backfires when the new homeroom teacher turns out to be an incredibly beautiful women who all the boys immediately fall in love with. What's worse is that the boy the previous sensei likes has fallen for her too and to make the situation even more horrible for her the new sensei seems to be reciprocating his love. Will our Cake win in the end or have her heart broken?
>>
>>142781040
So, you're telling us to write a novel where a boy falls in love with a girl?
>>
>>142781032
>Japan could fuck themselves back to a healthy population in no time, let me tell you that.

Nah man, it's too late. Herbivore Men are the sign that society has progressed too far and is going into decline.
Beautiful mice, anon. A lot of the societies were live in now are fucked and NEETdom is just going to become more a thing as time moves on.
>>
>>142781076
Pretty sure you stole that first one from P3.
>>
>>142780758
Then why does this thread exist?

>>142780675
But unlike people who watch a lot of movies or read a lot of books. The anime/manga culture is the only one with the concept of normalfaggotry. Granted there's always a plebian category for any hobby or interest, but anime's plebian category includes almost anything considered 'healthy' by modern society.

Whether you agree or disagree with it, things like lolicon, 2d > 3d, waifuism, etc. that are part of our lives is so far removed from 'the real world' that it makes people much more easily predisposed to a story in which a similar character leaves this world behind entirely.
>>
File: 1420000766808.png (88 KB, 325x460) Image search: [Google]
1420000766808.png
88 KB, 325x460
>>142781076
Toriumi was the best girl. It's a shame her link wasn't actually a proper romance option.
I woulda broken every link except for Hermit if I coulda had that route.
>>
>>142780859
This.
As 56k modem-friendly as it is, 2ch is reddit as fuck. Those faggots shit on Aki Toyosaki for doing a bang-on version of Yui singing Hey Jude.
>>
>>142781097

Orlando just got shot the fuck up; a star from The Voice and a gay nightclub with 50 people dead, including the assailant.

Plus, don't forget about The Tengu and The Woodcutter. Human beings are unpredictable fuckers.

At least the women are lusting for virile cock, but then again they'll be shipping themselves off to the US and Europe for that. Fuck.
>>
>>142781144
>part of our lives is so far removed from 'the real world' that it makes people much more easily predisposed to a story in which a similar character leaves this world behind entirely.

I getcha and we're in agreement. But it doesn't exactly detract from the statement that every medium is basically Escapism.
It's not even Anime and Manga specifically that's the issue here either.
It's that we're all just trying to find another world to escape into and it just happens to either be D&D inspired worlds from the Tabletops we play or only MMORPGs like you would see in Japan.
It just helps that Japan and the west have similar interests in those two fields, especially the people prone to escape like ourselves.
>>
I just want to see a Mayoiga-esque black comedy isekai story where a bunch of fucked up people end up in another world and are forced to stick together for whatever reason.

There are stories that start with that premise but usually end up with the protagonist splitting from the group to get up to his usual self-insert cheat skill slave harem shenanigans.
>>
>>142781285

How about an MMORPG other world story about a group of prisoners who are sent there as punishment?
>>
>>142781239
Humans may be unpredictable in the micro-aspect but in the macro-aspect you can tell exactly the direction the west is going to go.
>>
File: 1444602497080.png (209 KB, 400x750) Image search: [Google]
1444602497080.png
209 KB, 400x750
>>142779680
We need an /a/ version of this.
>>
>>142781246
>It's that we're all just trying to find another world to escape into and it just happens to either be D&D inspired worlds from the Tabletops we play or only MMORPGs like you would see in Japan.
>It just helps that Japan and the west have similar interests in those two fields, especially the people prone to escape like ourselves.
It's kind of funny how Japan has sunk itself so deeply into the D&D western fantasy setting when China at least managed to avoid cucking their own culture by creating the Xianxia genre.
>>
>>142781076
>The Cute Girl I was up all Night Playing MMORPGs with Turned Out to be My Sensei
Already seen in Lucky Star and Netoge yome
>>
>>142781285
I'd be fine with an isekai story that didn't have a central MC/protagonist, like Durarara or Baccano. But that would go against the spirit of self inserting, wouldn't it?
>>
>>142781246
A better way to sum up my point is that while most media is some way in escapist nature, anime/manga is one of the few mediums that actively alienates its demographic from the rest of society.

Another way to look at it is if Escapism was a religion, anime is ISIS.
>>
>>142781346
A few Nuclear Bombs might do that to your culture.
Japan are just tsun Westaboos, anyway. Nobunaga knew what the fuck was up.
>>
>>142781397
>anime is ISIS
Woah, I may forever get shunned by women but at least I don't get bombed by drones.
>>
>>142779824
>taboo social commentary.
This reminded me of Persona 4's midnight channel
>>
>>142781285
>I just want to see a Mayoiga-esque black comedy isekai story where a bunch of fucked up people end up in another world and are forced to stick together for whatever reason.
So group suicide?

Given the prevalence of the phenomenon in Japan and how ideal it seems to be for the premise of reincarnation I'm surprised more isekai stories don't start off with it. Most protagonists usually end up dying via TRUCK-KUN or other accidents instead of purposefully offing themselves, let alone joining a bunch of other fuckups in doing it together.
>>
>>142781406
>Japan are just tsun Westaboos, anyway
"Tsun"? The tsun part disappeared a long, long time ago. The only tsun westaboos left are all bitter old fucks.
>>
>>142781397
>if Escapism was a religion, anime is ISIS.

I have two thoughts on this.

One: This should be the banner for /a/.
Two: I think it's just that animation allows you to escape harder into worlds that couldn't possibly exist.
It's easier to digest than long slogs of reading and generally comes with pretty pictures and nice sound.

I think it's not Anime/Manga itself but that the kind of people who want to escape are generally looking for the easiest way to do it.
Though to be straight up, I don't disagree with alienating people. I can guarantee you know exactly what would happen if our culture became inclusive to normalfaggotry.
>>
>>142778591
they're chinese you retard
this is poor bait
>>
>>142781334

I hate being right.
>>
>>142781165
2ch shits on any popular seiyuu.
Even Sawashiro. Even Aoi Yuuki.
Rule of thumb is that they are jealous fujoshits.
>>
>>142781334
At least we're not old and watching our grandchildren grow up in a rotting hell. We get to see it die ourselves in a glorious fire, in the prime of our lives.
>>
>>142780027
r/noveltranslations
:DDDD
>>
The "Sucked into Other World" genre can be done well if they weren't cookie-cutters of each other.

It would be actually interesting if the MC and/or the other-worlders deal with culture shock as a result of being in different worlds, and overcoming the language barrier. It'd be nicer if the MC and the OWs didn't understand shit with each other, for hilarity and reality.

It'd be also more interesting if the MC was only treated as a weirdo or just some other freak and he/she would have to move up the hierarchy of the new world's society instead of just receiving everything because "hewasinterestingsaidtheroyalty" shit. Or he would just give them or him/her technology. depending on who was more advanced.

Also, it would be better to have mature themes showing on the fiction. I'm not talking about 'ecchi', it's trash and only caters to the creeps who can't get their dick wet IRL. There should be normal interaction and real romance within the story, not just some rainbow-haired children blushing until they bled out or something. It will be better if there were more key male and more elderly people in the world of the said fiction, it balances out the genders and actually will put some 'manly bro' interactions both the cool wannabe kids and the adults will find pleasurable.

Of course those God Damned Nips won't give a fuck, they're just there to sell shit to dumbass otakus who actually get duped to wasting NEETbux over and over again for the same shit. Fucking Japs.

/blogpost
>>
>>142779986
>It's a-okay since I'll treat her nicely aside from trying to brainwash her into a sex slave!
Fuck off Witch, this has never happened.
>>
>>142781646
You know, that's a solid point, anon. We're not going to have to raise kids in this environment and see them get fucked.
>>
>>142781285
I picked up drawing so I can make an isekai story that goes like this

>two friends lazing around in the house
>talking about their fetishes
>one is into tentacle rape
>the other is into vore
>they both wish they were in a world where this is possible
>suddenly get transported to a fantasy world, one is a tentacle monster the other is some sort of chameleon monster who digests people in their stomach
>hijinks ensue as they try to survive in this new world against adventurers and find a way to get back (or at least become human)
>later in the story it's revealed that in the same moment they made their wish, the tentacle monster and lizard monster wished they were humans
>some deity decided to kill two birds with one stone and swapped their bodies, and the monsters themselves had to adapt to the modern world

The format (and probably art level) would be similar to the Elf and Orc comic that gets posted.

Is it too weeb to work in the west?
>>
>>142780252
They're so common there's one airing LITERALLY this season.
And another one might turn into that if the story goes that way.
>>
>>142779228
>overlord
literally a reskinned SAO
>>
>>142781691

I'm working on shit where The Other World permanently comes and the Normal World is a place you cannot turn back to; let alone where you would not want to turn back to regarding its dead, rotting remnants.

I hope we meet again, fellow /a/non.
>>
>>142780342
>Japanese society is fucked because teens and otaku enjoy fiction stories
You guys are really retarded
>>
>>142779228
>Overlord
but isn't that sao but with a skeleton guy instead?
>>
>>142778590
Durarara is such a show. Try it.
>>
>>142781691
Mushoku Tensei deals with all of that.
>>
>>142778278
>because they’re clearly disdainful of it, their explanations occasionally seem condescending,
just because its condensing doesn't mean its not true
>>
>>142781846
Yeah, everybody knows it's because of idols.
Actual idols, not 2D ones.
>>
>>142781850
One is a lone beater, the other is a guildmaster.

Other than both being overpowered there's not much in common, and I don't even like Overlord that much.
>>
>>142781846
Wrong way around. Japanese teens and otaku have gone to Isekai because Japanese society is fucked.
Otaku being Otaku is an effect, not a cause.
>>
>>142781850
No? They are not even similar
>>
>>142781919
seems like the same bs power fantasy wish fufillment to me.
>>
>>142781942
except the MC from overlord is miles stronger than kirito
>>
File: 1464368419031.png (65 KB, 355x328) Image search: [Google]
1464368419031.png
65 KB, 355x328
>>142778591
that's fucking chinese, nice b8.
also, if you want one that isn't as retarded as stellar transformations with daddy issues, or as shallow as desolate era, you can read ISSTH, at least the MC starts human, with human issues, gets all his powers by himself and his schemes, and changes throughout the story...
>>
>>142781942
They are pretty different bs power fantasies. It's in the details
>>
>>142781691

meet

>>142781846

Also you >>142781691 gave me AIDS with that post

Not so much about how there needs to be more male virility in the animu but so much that it burdens me to know that some shithead normalfag is upset that his hobby isn't making him cool enough and takes out his shit on it when he has a bad day

I know that's the norm in 4chan but it's nevertheless reassuring that I'll have victims irl to constantly put under my heel.
>>
>>142781032
It really scares me to imagine what totally insane thoughts you guys have about greater sociopolitical trends based on what genres of anime are coming out each season
>>
overlord was the last straw for me as far as "web novels" goes
after that I don't care what anyone says , if its from a web novel its garbage and I wont touch it, any claims that it is an "exception" to the trend will fall on deaf ears.
>>
File: heretics.png (46 KB, 352x166) Image search: [Google]
heretics.png
46 KB, 352x166
I'm glad I finally have a word for this genre I hate.
>>
>>142781859
But durarara is not really isekai is it?

Fresh idea coming in, what about durarara set in a medieval fantasy world? That would be dope

Actually thinking about it that would be basically asoiaf animated
>>
File: 1387507475562.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1387507475562.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
You know what REALLY grinds my gears about the isekai genre?

In the end, most of them are the worst kind of escapism: escapism centered on the escapee, as opposed as to the place he/she escaped to.

I get that having a schoolboy/girl is a sort of anchor for the audience. A relatable character that can be used as the point of reference and even representation of the audience within the story. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that most isekai stories, and even those that are only tangentially similar ("I was a normal high school student until X fell on my head one day"), are so far up the MC´s ass that there is barely any time dedicated to fleshing out the world around the fucker, unless it is explicitly related to him.

Nobody gives a fuck about the MC. Nobody SHOULD give a fuck about the MC.

If he is meant to be our POV, then we know his characterization is irrelevant and we only care about him as the spyglass through which we look into the world. As long as he is alive and watching, we shouldn´t really care much about him.

If he is meant to be a representation of ourselves, then his characterization is ALSO irrelevant because we already know what he is like: he is us, and we are watching this story because we are trying to get away from ourselves and our shitty daily life. We DON´T want to be him.

But way too many isekai and harem stories with Gary Stu MCs miss the fucking point and try way, way too hard to sell him to us. We know the MC is supposed to represent us, so we just can´t swallow when the author tries to sell him to us as some sort of godlike entity with a dozen girls hanging from his dick. It is as if the author was sucking us off, telling us what big boys we are, "look at all these lolis and drillhairs and dark-skin elves wanting to have sex with you!".

It is just embarrassing.
>>
>>142781907

>implying that society has little impetus on influencing people
>implying that human contact is purely optional and is known by children automatically

You need to get outside of your room there. Life isn't like 4chan
>>
>>142782086
but kurito is the real black swordsman tho
>>
>>142781907
You really didn't understand my post? Enjoying fiction and escapism is in no way unique to the Japanese, and trying to connect it to some larger trend of the entire society falling apart is total retardation.
>>
>>142782086
Are there Isekai from the POV of someone from the other world interacting with the 'MC' type?
>>
>>142778278
So the popularity of One-Punch stems from it being a parody of narou? Makes sense.
>>
So about the ideas last time, any continuations?
>>142586847
>>
>>142782110
I disagree completely.

Japanese men are shutting themselves from their society for whatever reason suits them and become NEET/Otaku because of it.

That is simple cause and effect. If society was functioning correctly in Japan, there would be less NEETs and much less extreme escapism.
>>
>>142782031

It's only insane because you never took the time to do the research, let alone have the will to think and explore it

Want a more direct example? FPS shooters with heavy military settings. You can't tell me that after 9/11 that shit like that fucking exploded in Western video game markets. There's even a shovelware game released 2002 that was made purely on the premise of fighting through Taliban caverns all to fist fight and arrest Osama Bin Laden.

Everything in the world influences each other. It all snowballs in the end.
>>
File: 1431523962950 K-on Head Tilt.webm (495 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431523962950 K-on Head Tilt.webm
495 KB, 1280x720
>>142781165
>Aki Toyosaki for doing a bang-on version of Yui singing Hey Jude.

I must thank you for enlightening me as to the existence of this.
>>
>>142782110
well anon, the life of a salaryman kind of sucks,
you basically spend almost all of your life working
>>
>>142782086
That's bullshit. If there's one thing we always got in those stories, it's worldbuilding. Nerds fucking love worlbuilding and there's always shit about geography, races, politics, magic systems...
>>
File: 1462862170690.jpg (124 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1462862170690.jpg
124 KB, 1024x1024
>>142782216
Stop using spoilers for the wrong function you high spectrum autistic faggot.
>>
File: 1414290456178.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1414290456178.gif
999 KB, 250x251
Why is Isekai always in fantasy MMOs? Can't we get one about a Phantasy Star type, or at least something that isn't swords and shields?
>>
File: 1383261363457.png (998 KB, 1953x1400) Image search: [Google]
1383261363457.png
998 KB, 1953x1400
>>142782086

And while the author is sucking us off, everything else is left to rot. Have you guys noticed how many viewers don´t care about the MC half as much as they care about the OTHER characters in the story? A fair number of which are usually the denizens of that world the MC was transported to, or those weird ghostly/alien/divine/whatever girls he met?

Those worlds and characters are something/someone new and exciting, unbound by the same rules we are. They represent mystery and opportunity. And that is supposed to be the point of the story: explore them and interact with them.

So when the story centers on the bland-as-fuck MC to the point that the world is barely fleshed out, or has a "I want to get back to my shitty world!" plot, I just feel a complete disconnection with the whole damn thing.

Stop trying to sell my boring, anodine self to me through an incredibly uninteresting MC.

Then again, maybe I am going wrong about this. Maybe I´m not the audience for these shows. Maybe the intended audience are kids who think so highly of themselves that they can truly enjoy this narcissistic bullshit. Maybe these kids enjoy being told how awesome they are by proxy through a fictional story.
>>
>>142782313
Low-technology opens up the world to having normal-level intellects becoming outstanding.

Fuck joining a world where your machinations have to be pitted against a large number of people smarter than yourself.

In saying that, I would read an Isekai about someone who is so horrendously outclassed plans-wise that he retards his way to victory because he doesn't make his plans complex and people ignore the idiot.
>>
>>142782312

up yours double nigger roadkill fucking faggot
>>
>>142782086
Not only it's the worst type of escapism because of what you said but it's also so obvious about it.

There are other ways of making the audience relate to the story other than having a self insert MC.
>>
>>142778590
Escaflowne was that show.
>>
>>142782148
Kumo Desu ga Nani Ka for starters.

A humble spider god manipulating the life of generic nice guy harem protagonist hero-kun while raising a vampire protege that somehow became the heroine of an otome game.

You could argue that Kumoko is the MC type herself, but she certainly doesn't fit into the mold as neatly as the other characters, who were clearly written as potshots at common isekai archetypes.
>>
>>142779657
The second manga/anime was something CLAMP had to do because readers were completely assblasted by the ending of the original three-volume series.
>>
>>142782284
>That's bullshit. If there's one thing we always got in those stories, it's worldbuilding. Nerds fucking love worlbuilding and there's always shit about geography, races, politics, magic systems...

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don´t. It depends on the author.

This latest spate of MCs transported to MMORPGs is a very visible example of what I am talking about: narcissistic voyages centered on the escapee. The MMORPG angle mostly serves as a readily understandable frame of reference for the audience so they can shave off tons of world-building effort and time.

Even then, though, not all MMORPG anime work that way. Compare SAO and Log Horizon. There is a distinct effort on LH´s author to flesh out his world because the story is not completely centered on trying to tell us how awesome Shiroe is (and by proxy, us). SAO, on the other hand, most definitely is doing that, and doesn´t care about actually building the world.
>>
>>142782381
>Low-technology opens up the world to having normal-level intellects becoming outstanding.
realistically it wouldn't
you're not more intelligent than those in the past just have more accumulated knowledge, most of which would probably be useless unless you were an engineer.
>>
File: 36841l.jpg (75 KB, 321x500) Image search: [Google]
36841l.jpg
75 KB, 321x500
Isekai is supposed to be hell.
>>
>>142782312

What kind of fucking retard handicapped dunce makes images like this

It's like this thread's topic embodied in this picture about how some spineless idiot can't make sushi but he's the MC
>>
>>142782551
>most of which would probably be useless unless you were an engineer.

Naofumi took advantage of that, he wasn't an Engineer but he brought back books from his world to give to someone in the new world to create guns.
The other reincarnated heroes also did the same thing given there was blimps and planes in a low-tech world.

Though you are right, realistically, it wouldn't. However this is Isekai and realism has gone out the door while harems and power fantasies of the highest order have set up shop in the lounge and started fucking up your furniture.
>>
>>142782594
>What kind of fucking retard handicapped dunce makes images like this
does it hit too close to home?
>>
>>142782653

More like it was lifted out of facebook or tumblr because it reeks of normalfaggotry
>>
>>142778591
Read ISSTH or Ze Tian Ji, faggot.
>>
File: F1999.jpg (100 KB, 728x1140) Image search: [Google]
F1999.jpg
100 KB, 728x1140
>>142780118
Maybe it already exists. But this is more of a "pitiful hikkikomori learns to grow-up in a harsh world" story.
>>
>>142780986
>most of whom have some sort or romantic or affectionate relationship with him
Only Rem and Emilia. The rest are, at most, friends with him. Later in the novels he spends more time surrounded by guys than girls.
>>
>>142782086
If your work is popular enough it will get a spinoff that handles the world building otherwise authors keep writing with no end goal to keep cashing in on their fanbase.
>>
>>142779823
It's a lot easier if the MC is actually a ruler by birth.
>>
>>142781805
But better
>>
>>142782214
are neets and hikkis a real problem there?
I just get the feeling its just all sensationalism
>>
>>142782312

Wow, I didn't think anyone would get so petty and asshurt over me using spoiler text. Even care, for that matter. Thought that using it would be alright for removing shit that was tl;dr, pretty fucking irrelevant, but damn.

Either you're "tsun~" for me or you're just like those easily irritable smartass pedantic anime fan faggots I used to bug the fuck out of who would so much as bitch if the morning sun's glare got into their eye.
>>
>>142781691
You basically described Eien no Aselia.
>>
>>142783114
I disagree
>>
File: 1352363064078[2].jpg (246 KB, 890x497) Image search: [Google]
1352363064078[2].jpg
246 KB, 890x497
>>142782284
Too bad it's always the exact same worldbuilding because they can't stop writing cliches for even a moment to save their lives.
>Huh? Huuuuuuh? I thought my eyes deceived me for a moment, but this girl clearly has cat ears! Real cat ears! Ah, is this the fabled <Beastkin Race> that I've heard so much about? No good, I want to touch them~
>I'm not too sure, but from what X-san has told me, apparently demi-humans like beastkin are discriminated against in this world? Umu, even in another world, discrimination still exists, huh... ah, but don't worry! if it's me, I'll make sure to treat everyone equally! After all, as long as they're cute, nothing else matters right? Right! Cuteness is justice!

>Eh? Seriously?! Y-chan is a demon? As in, one of THOSE demons? Those inhabitants of the demon continent that humanity has been at war at for centuries? But Y-chan seemed like a nice girl to me, maybe it's all just a big misunderstanding? In the end, it'd be nice if everybody just got along. Yep, war is the worst.

>Incidentally, the nation we're passing through seems to be called the <B Empire>. Apparently, they're not on good terms with the <C Kingdom> that Princess-sama and I are from. Basically, if anyone spots Princess-sama's face under her cowl we're screwed, ya know? Let's pray to Goddess-sama that no one looks too closely while we're in town. Ah, on second thought, praying to that no-good Goddess might not be the best idea. Yep, let's not.

>I filled out the registration form that Receptionist-san handed me. It seems that in the <Adventurer's Guild> will hand us our <Adventurer IDs> once they confirm our identities
>Wait a minute, isn't this just too convenient?! Name, job class, adventurer rank, skills, everything's listed neatly on this <Adventurer ID> that they handed us. What's more, it automatically updates itself as we level up?! And what's with this touch function, what are you, a smart phone?! Ah... magic sure is amazing, isn't it?
>>
>>142782543
>SAO, on the other hand, most definitely is doing that, and doesn´t care about actually building the world.
Those autistically long info-dump segments say otherwise.

Fucking Alicization spends pages on pages of text to basically tell you why Kirito can shoot DBZ-style swordbeams at people now.
>>
>>142783234
its a cliche because its works dammit.
>>
>>142782577
>Japanese boy goes to Syria
>>
>>142782370
You really thought too hard about this.
The authors are literal amateurs. Its fanfiction. Thats why it sells, because its exactly like a story the viewer would write. Japan has been doing this for years.
Fate/Stay Night was written by Nasu in high school. It has that sort of immature energy around it, when you're sitting in history class daydreaming.
Thats why its the best selling VN of all time.
Most new anime budgets are based off a captive audience that is eternally 13-14 and wants anything with tits and action. Thats why DxD exists and the like, isekai is merely the latest evolution of the immature appeal genre. This is also why Gundam and Precure don't have the same feel as isekai stories, because they are a different genre appealing to different people.
I think the biggest issue is that we call these series by like eight genres when most of them are one genre with different settings. SAO was primarily drama with romance, Shingeki is primarily horror/mystery, ZnT is fantasy/romance, Konosuba is comedy/fantasy.

Its no wonder Re:Zero gets shit on so much when its clearly a tragedy/mystery series yet people try to shove it into other genres then complain they don't like it.
Isekai is not a genre, its a plot device. When /a/ figures this out, we will have peace.
>>
>>142781850
It's just an He-man adaptation
>>
>>142783234
Then how would you go about world building?
>>
>>142783432
the same guy Tolkien did
>>
>>142783432
>>142783294
It's fine to have some cliches (because they're tried and true), but when the author almost makes it a point to go down a laundry list of isekai setting cliches things gets old fast.

Especially when those cliches are dropped in close proximity to each other due to the amateur tendency to info-dump large amounts of setting exposition at once.
>>
>>142783580
*way*
>>
>>142783580
Write a fantasy language and then reverse-extrapolate a fantasy setting in which said language could've developed?
>>
>>142783651
That sounds like Inheritance Cycle.
>>
>>142783707
That's because Paolini shamelessly ripped off Tolkien in more ways than one.

Then again everyone does nowadays.
>>
>>142783613
>Especially when those cliches are dropped in close proximity to each other due to the amateur tendency to info-dump large amounts of setting exposition at once.

I fucking hate that. Why don't authors realize that less is more, and it's more interesting for the reader to discover the world across the series and not in the first chapter?

I've picked a manga once and I was pleasantly surprised with how little the author reveled. Later on I realize that I actually picked it up from the second chapter and that the first chapter was just filled with exposition and presenting the characters one by one to the reader. It was so generic and event-less that it barely had any connection with the following chapters.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.