[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In a 2014 interview, Miyazaki criticized the current state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71
File: Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg (51 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg
51 KB, 356x500
>In a 2014 interview, Miyazaki criticized the current state of the anime industry, saying that animators are not being realistic when it comes to people. According to Miyazaki, this is a problem because in order to produce content worthy of the industry, one's work must be based off lived experience and observation of people. He goes on to say that the reason why the industry is full of otaku is because anime is produced by "humans who can’t stand looking at other humans".
Is he right?
>>
I doubt he knows much about the inner workings of the social lives of people he doesn't even personally know. He was just being a petty dick
>>
No, it's just due to the industry producing schlock that moefags eat up especially on /a/ with retarded threads like "Would you do her?" rather than actually talking about anime leaving a select few shows even minutely worth looking into surrounded by seas and vast oceans of filth.

Sorry that's just my rant on the whole situation, I kinda hate Miyazaki's work but there's something definitely wrong with the new age of anime and he probably caught, or he's just a bitter old man who only likes his kind of work. Either or.
>>
>>142709746
It was a very broad statement but I still like him for endorsing English dubs and putting weebshits in their place.
>>
>>142709894
People are pretty simple.
>>
>>142709984
>English dubs
He endorses accurate English dubs.
>>
Hes right, and /a/ is butthurt about it.
>>
>>142709746
I love how otakus in general respond to his criticism. You can feel the conflict when you see that they just can't say he's shit, but they definitely don't agree with him because he's basically telling them that their taste is shit, so they come with phrases like "I don't personally like his work" or "I think he's taking things out of context".
Based Miyazaki. Giving no fucks about the hordes of tasteless otakus.
>>
Miyazaki is no different from the rest of the anime industry he criticizes.

All of his movies are populated by the same archetype characters:
- Genki lolicon fantasy preteen that satisfies his personal tastes
- Strong older woman who provides maternal support
- Younger male who has some romantic interest in the girl

It's the same copy/paste story building that populates the all those identical school battle love comedies that he hates.

The only difference is he gets to make stories that fit his own preferences, no the preferences of the consumers.
>>
>>142711647 It's a good example of what >>142711005 and >>142711143 said.
>>
>>142711967
I like his films a lot, but he just comes off as a pretentious, bitter asshole who cant accept that the industry will never be what he wants it to be.
>>
>>142712075
Do you?
>>
>>142712339
>makes the argument about the industry being filled with delusional otakus who doesn't make the effort to portrait any real human traits and prefer cute girls doing cute things because they're a bunch of insecure virgins
>somehow that's a bad thing which makes him a bitter, pretentious asshole
Have you ever entertained the thought that perhaps the industry is fucked up?
>>
>>142711143
But then he says something idiotic like

>Miyazaki also expressed his opinion about the terrorist attack at the offices of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and gave his opinion about the magazine's decision to publish the content cited as the trigger for the incident. He said, "I think it's a mistake to caricaturize the figures venerated by another culture. You shouldn't do it." He asserts, "Instead of doing something like that, you should first make caricatures of your own country's politicians."

Don't make fun of the muzzies guys, you should only criticize your own culture, not the ones that mutilate gentiles and kill their wives.
>>
>>142712701
> Play stupid games get stupid prizes
>>
>>142712701
>if his opinions about free speech and terrorism aren't spot on then his opinions about the japanese anime industry, in which he has been working his entire life, aren't spot on either
Nice reasoning there, buddy.
>>
>>142713000
I actually agree with what he said in the OP.

With that said, he's an idiot because of his opinions on free speech.
>>
>>142713000
Well hes still attributing a cultural problem to anime like some dumb news fundie. If anime is produced for people who hate looking at humans and there is a substantial world wide market of these people who hate looking at humans in the post industrial world. Then it is hardly animes fault for exploiting it, rather a symptom of modern living.
>>
>>142713088
He's right though. Making fun of someone isn't restricted, but that doesn't mean they won't punch your lights out for talking shit.
>>
There's nothing wrong with modern anime. Anime today is better than ever.
>>
>>142713175
Read what he says you idiot.

>"I think it's a mistake to caricaturize the figures venerated by another culture."

If you agree with this, your opinion is utterly worthless.
>>
>>142709746
When will this faggot die already so we can forget about his meme quote?
>>
>>142713175
Violent responses to speech are done by barbaric cultures who should be culled, not respected or appreciated.
>>
>>142713221
Nice opinion there little jimmy. What presents did you get for your 13th birthday last week?
>>
>>142713175
So your free speech should be limited by the violent reactions of others?
>>
>>142713097
Thats the opposite of what he said. Anime didnt make otaku but otaku made anime shit
>>
>>142709746
He's completely right and everyone knows it.
Your favorite anime is shit but you prefer to watch that comfy but pointless shit that makes you feel warm and fuzzy than watching something that actually makes you think.
>>
>this thread
>>>/MAL/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/ANN/
>>>/Tvtropes/
>>>/v/
>>
>>142709746
think mr. anime will live to his 100's?

I can picture this old man still ranting on about how modern anime sucks way into the far future and still somehow be alive.
>>
The people are realistic. Anyone can be anyone. The problem is the interactions and reactions. For example, when someone does dumb shit, they will shrug it off and make it a joke when in reality someone would be like "Is this guy fucking serious? What a dumbass. Is he autistic?" Which is why you see these "Is X autistic" threads all the fucking time.
>>
>>142713221
It's the same shit as ever, more like.
>>
>>142713304
Their violent reactions are already limited. Murder is already illegal, but just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

>>142713245
> Talk shit about an icon venerated by religious extremists that are known to behead people on the internet
> Don't expect repercussions

>>142713262
Nobody said they should be respected or appreciated, but this is akin to visiting slapping a bull and then expecting to get away with it by waving a piece of paper in front of their face.
>>
>>142714297
>>142713279
I personally don't like moeshit however anime nowadays is more popular than before
:^)
>>
Miyazaki is still salty that he'll never be as good of a director as Takahata. He'll die being salty about it.
>>
>>142709746
>being realistic

Neither were his characters.
>>
I watched spirited away earlier today and it was pretty good I liked it a lot
>>
>>142712701
Fuck off /pol/.
>>
>>142714361
It's more akin to teasing a bull and not putting it down because of animal rights activists as it gores innocent civilians.
>>
>>142713279

Oh hey, it's edgelord fag

Just because you turned 18 doesn't mean you aren't a newfag, newfag. You still need to earn your anon card and quit being a pent up fucked cunt of an eager to prove bitch.

Now get the fuck out of your high seat and get to crawling.
>>
>>142714119
This.
>>
>>142712701
>mr Popo
>>
>>142711647
>- Genki lolicon fantasy preteen that satisfies his personal tastes
Well his tastes aren't that bad.
>>
Miyazaki's not really wrong; 99.99% of anime these days is absolute trash, and the stuff that isn't is still usually pretty flawed. All the good manga have been animated already, which is why we're mostly getting cookie cutter crap, LN based stuff, remakes and shoddy originals. Long running series are usually no better since they're mostly kids shows, save a one or two good exceptions. The best shows are usually those based off good manga, and the difference in the rate of production of new manga and anime seasons ensures that the seasons that get a truly excellent show (good writing, animation, voice acting, pacing & proper adaptation) are few and far between.
>>
>>142709746
He made some good films but he's just a bitter old man now. He acts like he has a pedestal to stand on when in reality he's hasn't pushed the medium forward at all since the 90's. The fact that Kon died and not this guy is one of the greatest tragedies of the anime industry.
>>
>>142714898
>All the good manga have been animated already
Your weak powerlevel is showing.
>>
>>142709746

Out of touch? I'm sorry Miyazaki, have you ever been outside of that fucking snotwipe small of a country you live in? No, outside of your fucking house, rather.

I get your nation has shit problems but don't get all asshurt on us when your society is built upon school mommas and attempting to recapture the economic glory of the late 1980's all while it turns kids apathetic about life and when nobody in Japan really even likes anime (that shit is fact, everyone loves Disney overseas) other than nerds and outcasts.

Best of all, what did you do with your career while you rode the high life?

Your successor died, your sons can't compare, and Only Yesterday is the examples of what kind of garbage your studio will be making if you can't get your shit together, you fucktard green tree hugging hippie.

Fuck, YOU.
>>
>>142713245
He also said to think about criticizing your own culture before taking shit about others. It's more like "Remove the log in your eye before telling others to remove the speck in theirs" than "oh don't ever say anything about muslins".
>>
>>142714972
>Being this mad he got told he's enjoying his medium incorrectly
>>
>>142715010
There is an incorrect way to enjoy mongolian moving pictures?
>>
>>142714927
Most manga that people think is brilliant would not translate to anime well at all.
>>
>>142715010

That's not my tears, shitwipe. That's my piss. Do you enjoy it, you greentexting pussyfoot empty shell of a human being?
>>
>>142715033
Yeah, whatever the way you're enjoying it now is the incorrect method to enjoy Siamese slideshows.
>>
>>142709746
Otaku loved anime. Then the Otaku become the anime creators.

Otaku are not people.
>>
>>142709746
With animation, you are quite literally able to creatively express an infinite variety of stories and images, including those whose premises and characterizations aren't commonly (or else at all) instantiated in reality. And you want to use it... to copy exactly what's already there.
Brilliant.
>>
>>142715062
>Most manga that people think is brilliant would not translate to anime well at all.
That's because good directors are rare.
>>
>>142709746
I for one welcome the current state of anime
the shit anime comes and goes, but good anime still springs up, it just isn't the same kind of anime as in the 20th century. And this is for the better, new ideas and concepts must always grow in order that the industry not become stale because it tried not to change.
>>
File: 1450585094353.png (159 KB, 645x675) Image search: [Google]
1450585094353.png
159 KB, 645x675
>>142709746
The real world's shit man.
>>
Tonight's /a/ is like the unholy spawn of when dudebro anime hardcores meets self hating weeaboo high school teenagers when their forums go down during the summer.

Not that I have a problem with it. It's not like anyone's going to Japanland anytime soon to do anything about what they're bitching about.
>>
>>142709746
Who cares? Miyazaki made glorified western cartoon movies under the guise of anime. Normalfags always think any cartoon made by Japan is anime. Miyazaki has no say on anime. If it's no moe, it's not anime.
>>
>>142715215
had a good chuckle, thanks mate
>>
>>142715215
totally legit
>>
>>142715266
I go there every Comiket though.
>>
>>142715185
>good anime still springs up

Name one this season.
>>
>>142715281
>>
This argument always boils down to normals being upset it doesn't rehash and pander to their tastes instead of the current audience
>>
>>142715266
So, a friday then.
>>
>>142709983

Miyasaki criticizing the industry is nothing new though. He was bitter before he got old.
>>
>>142715363

Normals? I thought normals were faggots that don't like anime and just come to /a/ to fuck with people
>>
>>142715701
No they're people on non anime boards like /o/.
>>
File: 1451826145836.jpg (213 KB, 628x444) Image search: [Google]
1451826145836.jpg
213 KB, 628x444
>>142715759
/o/ is anime though.
>>
He isn't really wrong.
I like moe SoL and I don't mind characters being unrealistic there, but when I watch something with serious plot or drama themed, I prefer characters to resemble a bit of human behaviour, because I can't empathise with them otherwise.
I doubt you will deny that when some random battle harem tries to be serious it ends up being really bad because characters are nothing but a bunch of overused cliches
>>
>>142715494

Yeah, didn't he flip his shit over doujinshi in the 1990's about his work?
>>
>>142715347
Macross Delta
>>
>>142709746
I feel like if you took the zaniness of anime that comes from fantasy garbage whether it be living in a gaming world or being surrounded by 5 hot girls, we'd lose most of why watching anime is even fun.
>>
>>142709746
Would things have been different if he had a prodigy pupil/team?
>>
>>142709983
>No, it's just due to the industry producing schlock that moefags eat up especially on /a/ with retarded threads like "Would you do her?"
The creators talk like that, though.
>>
>>142713360
>Your favorite anime is shit but you prefer to watch that comfy but pointless shit that makes you feel warm and fuzzy than watching something that actually makes you think.
I honestly feel good that this isn't the case. I'm really excited about joining a community of artists who take criticism seriously, like Miyazaki and Alan Moore, and I'm pumped to push people to improve themselves in that way.
>>
>>142709746

Based Miyazaki and his studio keeping that pastoral magic alive.
>>
>>142716155
Holy shit kill yourself blogging faggot
>>
>>142714898
Haikyuu seems to use a lot of real-world references in its work. Though I'm not much a fan, it warms my heart to see that.
>>
>>142714972
He's been to europe a bunch of times to get inspiration for his movies.
Kiki's delivery service is heavily inspired by the architecture of Stockholm and Visby while Laputa took inspiration from the industrial communities of Britain.
>>
>>142715145
The problem is that people ARE trying to do "life" and are doing it badly.
>>
He's right in the sense of how anime as an art form has fallen.
He's wrong in the sense that anime is still an industry that exists for the financial benefit of those who work in it, and they produce what people buy.

As far as not portraying people realistically or whatever that's just fucking retarded. Most anime tell fantastical stories that could never actually occur, sometimes it turns out well, most of the time the failings of the writers creates issues in the quality and the depth of the characters, this is usually seen as a lack of talent on the writers part in other industries such as fictional novels.

Miyazaki in this case is just being bitter because he sees himself as a foundational architect of anime, and it obviously frustrates him that anime has become more heavily populated by people who aren't performing at his level. Rather than considering this an effect of the industry being easier to access and the spread of cheaper computerized mediums that allow for more room for error as well as enabling a wider spread of content through both legal and illegal mediums which increases the funding for the industry resulting in significantly more production since costs went down and funding went up, He seems to attribute it to people in the industry essentially lacking the personal experience to give their characters and stories the depth they need to create impactful stories.

I'm not saying that this isn't at least partially correct, but it is a small part of a much larger set of events leading to what we know as anime today compared to when Miyazaki would have been making his mark.

TL;DR Using a single quote to sum up how different the anime industry is today in comparison to Miyazaki's time is stupid, and if Miyazaki really thinks that anime is objectively worse now just because of Otaku's then he's stupid.
>>
>>142712701
>mutilate gentiles
>>
>>142716191
I like that there are so many good critics out there despite artists fighting against that noble pursuit. I get this impression from my own experience as an artist.
Blog where?
>>
>>142709746
He looks like the fucking jap version of Colonel Sanders from KFC
>>
File: 1424297650000.jpg (97 KB, 1475x678) Image search: [Google]
1424297650000.jpg
97 KB, 1475x678
>>142716351
>>
File: miyazaki.png (158 KB, 474x270) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.png
158 KB, 474x270
Miyazaki is basically talking about how animators need to observe people to be able to draw them, and that the industry is full of otaku who don't like doing that. He's not complaining about the state of anime in general.
>>
>>142709746
Sorta.

The real issues with the anime industry have been around for decades and include:

1) Dispersed talent across a multitude of studios, ultimately watering down most projects.
2) Japan's shitty economy, which has hammered in two decades worth of conservative business practices into management
3) An increasingly shrinking target audience on which to draw (Otaku aged 25+)
4) Outdated advertising practices and perverse merchandizing incentives that negatively impact storytelling
5) Fucked up production schedules and general slavelike pay and working conditions
>>
What is the best Miyazaki movie?
>>
>>142709746
He's hack and a pedo
Nobody gives a shit about what this old fart thinks
>>
>>142716529
Beauty and the Beast
>>
>>142711647
Fucking this
This faggot is no different
And he's the biggest hack ever who hasn't changed his art style since the days of Heidi
>>
File: 1446939247487.jpg (20 KB, 322x306) Image search: [Google]
1446939247487.jpg
20 KB, 322x306
>>142715071
Somebody's cereal got shat on this morning.
>>
>>142713360
Nothing Miyazaki ever produced made me think...unless you count "is Miyazaki a pedo?" thinking
>>
>>142715281
>Comparing Miyazaki's shit to Glorious Western Cartoons
Kill yourself heathen
>>
Miyazaki's shit is some of the most soulless garbage I've ever seen in my life
>>
>>142716155
>Alan Moore
lol
>>
>>142716540
I get hack but what's wrong with being a pedo?
>>
>>142716401
And that's where he's wrong
Animation shouldn't be about realism fuck that noise
If you want realism just shoot live action instead you fucking piece of shit

Miyazaki doesn't get animation or it's appeal at all
>>
>>142716856
Makes him a hypocrite considering he hates them Otaku's
>>
>>142716749
2/10
>>
File: 1447623422623.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1447623422623.png
129 KB, 314x278
>>142716873
>>
>>142716802

>soulless

this is how i know you're a troll
>>
>Miyazaki criticizes anime industry for being unrealistic
>Yonebayashi says women tend to be more realistic, men more idealistic
I can see the obvious conclusion and I choose to embrace it.
>>
yes. current anime panders to otakus. anime needs to appeal to many before it dies out the same way movies have lots of different genres.
>>
>>142716873

Think you took a wrong turn somewhere.
>>
>>142717049

just what.

this is nonsense.
>>
>>142717031
>Anime needs to pander to people who won't buy anime no matter what.
>>
>>142709983
>No it's due to the industry producing schlock that moefags eat up

Agreed
>>
>>142716942
Golden Age of American Animation>>>>>>>>>>>>Animu

Deal with it
>>
>>142717017
>Yonebayashi says women tend to be more realistic, men more idealistic
Bullshit
If anything it's more the other way around
>>
>>142717406
You're wrong and you know it.
>>
>>142717466
Except I'm 100% right
Nothing the chinks made comes even close to Fleischers or Warner Bros 30s/40s cartoons
>>
>>142717397
anime only appealing to people who buy merch and the box sets is what is killing anime and pigeonholing it.
>>
>>142716294
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>142717496
Anime is doing just fine
It's doing just as well as it ever has
It's popularity on the west in the late 90s/early 2000s was just a fluke and don't expect it to happen again
>>
>>142717406
They didn't manage to maintain the era for that long. Doesn't longevity matter as well?
>>
>>142717495
I see you think animation quality is all there is to animated works. It doesn't matter that all those series are actually for children,and not in that meme "anime is for children" way.
>>
>>142717591
>animation quality is all there is to animated works
he would be right
>>
>>142717571
it's doing fine, in japan.
>>
>>142709746
I hate everyone else, so he's not wrong
>>
>>142717582
>not that long
>1920s to late 1950s
>about 40 years
>short
what?
are you kidding me?
anime wishes it had that kind of longevity/consistency
>>
>>142717571
You're the type of moron being described in the OP. You're in no position to make any worthwhile assessment because you yourself are a fat, mouthbreathing loser.
>>
Anime will never pander to normalfags,deal with it. You've already corrupted videogames,anime won't be destroyed by your bullshit.
>>
>>142709746
>things are different now and I don't like that

More or less
>>
>>142717495

So this is where /co/ goes when they have a panty knot shitfit

Or maybe it's other normalfags?

Or maybe it's just some self loathing imbalance of a human being like the rest of shitpost 4chan?

Either way, nobody's knee deep in whatever shit you're hawking. u mad bro
>>
>>142717591
>muh children's bullshit
just stop
a lot of this stuff was geared towards adults at the time

and it doesn't matter shit considering vast majority of anime is also for children

but what makes that era the best is not only the animation quality(which is unparalleled) but it's also the immense creativity and what they did with it

and not to mention the fact that if disney didn't exist anime as you know it today would not exist
>>
>>142714361
He's not warning people of the risks extremists pose you utter idiot. He's saying it's morally wrong to mock other religions and cultures; effectively sympathizing with said extremists.

Fuck me /a/ has a lot of uneducated, prep-level comprehension retards like yourself these days.
>>
>>142717636

Someone's pretty hype in thinking anime will suck his dick tonight

get over yourself
>>
>>142717619
Yeah? Like it always has?
It doesn't need to be popular overseas to do fine
It didn't need to do so in the 70s/80s and it doesn't now
>>
>>142716873
How is this related to this thread?
>>
>>142717775
Because of Miyazaki's "Humans who can't stand to look at other Humans" comment I'm guessing
>>
Maybe his feet hurts
>>
At the end of the day, the people who bitch about the anime industry and how it doesn't cater to them are worse than the 'otaku' who fund it. At-least the otaku are fucking willing to actually spend money on things they like to ensure they get more of it. The same can't be said for the other side who would probably kill themselves long before they would buy a single BD volume.
>>
>>142716518

I should also add that they don't seem to be willing to look to other places for ideas. Not that I have anything else concrete to back this up, other than what I learned here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-10-18
>>
>>142717616
Not the comic. /pol/
>>
>>142709746
Of course he's right why do you think romance in anime almost every time ends with the first kiss (if even)?

It's because the writers have no fucking clue what happens afterwards
>>
>>142709746
Problem is the light novel trash every other anime is based on nowadays.
That piece of shit writing isn't even good enough for airport kiosk pulp fiction but apparently it still works fine for some dipshit to make an anime out of it.
>>
File: 1313357-jryxpg.jpg (47 KB, 453x640) Image search: [Google]
1313357-jryxpg.jpg
47 KB, 453x640
>>142715281
>If it's no moe, it's not anime.
That's some lazy ass bait dude
>>
File: neonomicon.jpg (631 KB, 1280x1994) Image search: [Google]
neonomicon.jpg
631 KB, 1280x1994
>>142716155
>Alan Moore
dude, really?
>>
>>142709746
>He goes on to say that the reason why the industry is full of otaku is because anime is produced by "humans who can’t stand looking at other humans

Maybe.

At least this is true for modern computer/video games. I applied to game design school back in 2004 and realized that industry has been completely ruined by nerds who don't even know how humans move.

They showed some of the 3D animations created by students/former students and it was all crap.

If you lock youself up in a room with computers and and 10 nerds and never go outside except for getting drunk at the local strip club (yes they openly said that's what they did) for 3 years and call that education you won't know anything about normal human interaction.

Of course it's not better to shut yourself out from otaky culture either, they're also human but you need a normal life perspective on it.
>>
>>142716873
Humans are the only animals capable of feeling bad about killing one of their species.
Also, kill yourself retard
>>
>>142716873
>>142717049

You're the same anon, right? This thread is too small for two idiots of this caliber
>>
>>142722196
>getting triggered over that guys post
I don't think 4chan is a site for you.
>>
>>142722270
Not triggered, just tired of the same shit spewed by whiny bitches outside of their containment board
>>
>>142722415
What would you assume his board would be?
>>
>>142721504
>Problem is the light novel trash every other anime
There is max 5 and on average 2 a season. You have no idea what you are on about.
>>
>>142722415
>containment board
The only containment board on the site is /mlp/.
>>
>>142722487
He means there are a lot of them every season without fail. It's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>142721348
>what happens afterwards
Or probably because literally nothing happens afterwards. Ever saw a real 3dpd relationship? No, not that shit in drama TV.
>>
>>142722585
No, he's implying there is a LOT. 5 isn't a lot. He's just complaining that a very small number of anime every season is something he doesn't like, like as if it means anything or is a problem. It isn't hard to understand and it is that he's an idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.
>>
>>142716591
>hasn't changed his art style
Yeah because that is his style, in the same way people after a certain point don't change their handwriting, artists don't change (after a certain point) their art style. Look at any great painter and you will see that.

You could make the argument that an artist has not improved said style, but saying that it is bad that an artist has not changed art style is silly.
>>
>It's a miyazaki image/blogging thread
>>
>>142722007
If you don't actively observe humans for the purpose of studying the way they move, you aren't going to be able to animate it. You don't automatically pick up this knowledge just from being outside.
>>
>>142716893
https://youtu.be/YQGaoj7jnBg?t=4m25s
>>
>>142712683
What you don't realise is that Miyazaki's comment hits close to home for otakus and a chunk of /a/. At this point, you either refute his point argumentatively, or resort to getting angry and then insulting him.

I never liked most of his creations, but he has a solid point which won't change, because making moeblob shit and having it sell is too easy. One always goes for the easiest route, even at the cost of integrity.
>>
File: c11.jpg (438 KB, 1339x2187) Image search: [Google]
c11.jpg
438 KB, 1339x2187
Meanwhile, in the west
>>
>>142723201
I love it how everytime this quote comes up fucking idiots and /v/ermin equate it to moeblob like as if that is what he is referring to. Fun fact, he makes fucking moeshit as well.
>>
>>142723531
His moeshit is good. The shit spewed every season is not.
>>
>>142722626
On the contrary, there's quite a fair number of manga about couples and Usagi Drop's author even had a manga about a family of four. Saying nothing happens as a justification is nonsense since SoL is a thing.
>>
File: 1464470655166.png (1 MB, 804x1150) Image search: [Google]
1464470655166.png
1 MB, 804x1150
>>142715215
>>
>>142723598
That's an opinion, not a fact. An opinion I'm going to have to disagree with, as a good portion of them every season are pretty decent. This season seems to have what might be the best for the year.
>>
>>142722789
>extra reddits
go away
>>
>>142723658
Seasonal moeshit has no soul. His moeshit has, at least, an iota of evidence of passion and love, even though most of his work is shit too. You cannot deny this fact.
>>
>>142723803
>this delusional ghiblifag
Try watching more moeshit, m8.
>>
>>142723803
I deny it, not a problem at all.
>>
>>142723803
Except the part where I can deny it because it isn't true. You obviously don't watch much moeshit if you think most of it is soulless.
>>
File: iria2_04.jpg (61 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
iria2_04.jpg
61 KB, 640x475
>>142709746
HE IS RIGHT

Modern anime is blatant turd.

Fuck otakus and fuck weebs, you ruined the best media ever created by mankind.
>>
>>142723362
This is why I don't read comic books.
>>
>>142709746
I'm a casualfag who has mostly of the stuff of directors like Kon, Miyazaki, Takahata, Oshii, Hosoda, Shinkai, Watanabe, Anno and some other fan favorite anime shows that are always on top 25 lists and one of the reason I can't get into the Anime properly is because of shit that Miyazaki say. Character work in most Anime is just not to my liking with Anime-y exaggerated expressions and shitty humor which I also think he criticizes a lot. Other things is Waifu and Husbando bait shit, unnecessary cheesecake-y shit and other schlock shit.
>>
>>142709746
Don't be so grumpy, Miyazaki!
>>
>>142724148
>Character work in most Anime is just not to my liking with Anime-y exaggerated expressions and shitty humor

This. I'm sick of authors using emoticon faces to portray emotions.
>>
>>142723362

>no y chromosome

>balls

-_-
>>
>>142709746
Is Miyazaki like the Alann Moore of anime?
>>
>>142716529
The Wind Rises
>>
File: 1433798667199.jpg (21 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1433798667199.jpg
21 KB, 384x216
>>142723940
I'll happily be ruining the "best media ever created by mankind" while you make butthurt little rants on chinese cartoon imageboards like a faggot
>>
Miyazaki threads are the /qa/ of /a/. A bunch of cum guzzling ignorant retards too old and too bitter, a bunch of shitposters and the occasional newfag. You should all be executed to be honest.
>>
File: 1465527745706.png (2 MB, 1148x1672) Image search: [Google]
1465527745706.png
2 MB, 1148x1672
>>142716893
That's not what he's saying, though. Most his movies are fantasy in the first place.
>this is a problem because in order to produce content worthy of the industry, one's work must be based off lived experience and observation of people.
He's saying animators haven't done a lot of things and thus can't animate it properly because they don't know what it really looks like. He's an otaku too just a different kind of otaku. He loves airplanes for example. In their documentary they joke about it.
>>
>>142724338
Fuck off to your waifu thread faggot
>>
>>142724148
I don't know how an Anno fan can say shit like that, when the guy himself was a Cutie Honey fag
>>
>>142724421
Fuck off to /co/ retard.
>>
>>142709746
Anime is better now.

Better and more sophisticated. On point too. You Luddites should realize that better tech means better animation.

For example, we hardly have loose cells or out of place layers. A lot of layers could be put on top of each other. Lighting has also improved. Lewd shiny thighs wouldn't have been possible in old cel animation. So are bloom effects (although some purists hate that)

I love these advancements. No more limited movement.

Lens flares galore, sure. Of course there are cons. Visually speaking, though? Enchanting is the first word that comes to mind.

We (that is, they) work faster as well. In truth, there's an influx of anime nowadays. Tons of series. Hentai too.

Amazing strides in technology shouldn't be ignored because of your nostalgia.

Greatness can be seen in the latest works out there. Intense visuals. Realistic backgrounds. Luscious movement.
>>
>>142724444
He's not my favorite but EoE is probably the most artsy shit I've ever seen in Anime.
>>
>>142709746
Wasn't 80's Gainax full of otakus and still creating good stuff? Or is just something against modern otakus because >muh generation?
>>
>>142724545
You're never going to convince any nostalgia shitter that there is merit in the present. Waste of time, especially for human wastes like nostalgiafags.
>>
>>142724650
This coming from a faggot who probably refuses to watch old anime just because it's old.
>>
>>142724650
It's specifically shitters who stay only in the 80s, most people who watch 60s and early 70s stuff are chill
>>
>>142709746
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE THIS MIYAZAKI THREAD
>>
>>142724623
Yes, Gainax was nothing but Otaku. But, remember, Otaku just means nerd in japanese really at the end of the day.

>>142724545
>Anime is better now.
Debatable. Personally, I find a lot of stuff from the black and white days pretty enchanting. Saw an anon post this one the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCFZ6nh9djY
Although, there is something to say about that anime is getting better. I watched the original Gundam the other day and it is fucking legitimately bad in almost every way.
>>
>>142716893
>>142716893
I'm sorry you're so goddamn retarded. Give your mother my condolences for having to put up with a shitstain like you. People like you are the reason good choreography and movements are dying in anime. You need to know how a real person moves before you can make a superhuman move, gotta work on that foundation son.
>>
>>142724725
Yeah, even when Ghibli's dead it's still around.
>>
>>142723362
Do you have the Thor comic which legitimately has the [UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL] thing? Because I need to be reminded why humanity sucks again.
>>
>>142724695
Nice projection. I have no retarded bias like that.
>>
>>142724936
Sure you don't.
>>
File: 1465194983974.jpg (36 KB, 511x509) Image search: [Google]
1465194983974.jpg
36 KB, 511x509
>>142712701
Well he wasn't wrong you criticizing them won't fix them a damn thing now would it ? You weeb shit
>>
Miyazaki makes pure Kino and I agree with him.
>>
File: west.png (1 MB, 600x1137) Image search: [Google]
west.png
1 MB, 600x1137
>>142724897
Here, with bonuses.
I'm so fucking glad Japan ignores the west
>>
>>142724947
Keep projecting. It only tells more about you.
>>
>>142725023
>I'm so fucking glad Japan ignores the west

It doesn't matter. Japan hasn't supplied a lot of worthwhile thing lately either.

>>142725036
lol I can't project if I like old stuff
>>
>>142724991
You're a complete moron with the comprehension levels of a 10 year old.
>>
>>142725063
Of course it has, but nothing will be ever as good for a savvy fuck like you as the fanfics and shit stories you have on your head.
>>
>>142725067
Are all /pol/tards this angry all the time?
>>
>>142725101
>as the fanfics and shit stories you have on your head

wot
>>
I just finished watching Wolf Children today, and it really shows up the bulk of anime in its sense of authenticity. I can barely recall any other modern anime where the kids actually act like kids in such a spot on way. Miyazaki was right to single out Hosoda as a star talent, though I do feel he would be better has he joined Ghibli himself.
>>
>>142723362
Those sure are some amazing platelets!
>>
File: tumblr_o5ey50qVnV1rvts3fo1_540.jpg (77 KB, 540x735) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5ey50qVnV1rvts3fo1_540.jpg
77 KB, 540x735
>>142725023
Someone got paid to write this. Someone got paid more than I do at my actual job to write this. Have a cute girl for doing as I asked, because I know we both need cheering up after that.
>>
>>142725063
>Harmless fun and generic stuff is as bad as outright making a story bad just to offend people
>>
>>142725023
This is the same shit tier writing with those edgy revenge fantasy WNs.
>>
Yes. It's a very frustrating thing about watching anime, increasingly so from the last decade or so; people (especially women) don't behave and react like human beings, presumably for exactly the reason Miyazaki's talking about..
>>
>>142725217
>Harmless fun and generic stuff

They hurt me as much as the latter. I'm fucking starving for some real good shit.
>>
>>142725023
>anime_girl_vomitting.jpg

>>142725063
>It doesn't matter. Japan hasn't supplied a lot of worthwhile thing lately either.
>implying the west has supplied anything worthwhile either
>>
>>142725238
I get it, it's because anime writers don't interact with woman, hahahaha

Oh wait, a lot of those writers are women.
>>
>>142725267
That's my point. Everything is mostly shit these days.
>>
>>142725255
Good shit like what?
>>
>>142725023
I guess it's a choose your poison situation... do you want stupid mindless fun and silly idealised versions of women or to be actively preached at by these nu-male comic writers?
>>
>>142725293
Why, aren't you such a genius critic anon? Truly, how can the rest of the world compete with your godly taste!
>>
>>142725305
/lit/ here.

We are laughing at your dilemma.
>>
>>142725023
It's fine, anon. That comic flopped hard.
>>
>>142725305
I want neither, why don't comic artists make actual original stories instead of generic capeshit?
>>
File: background[2].jpg (83 KB, 633x537) Image search: [Google]
background[2].jpg
83 KB, 633x537
>>142725267
All depends on what trash you want. Compare Youjo Senki to this. That may be unfair, so how about we compare that recent manga about how there's only 5 guys left alive on Earth? That's at least got T&A, and good art.
>>
>>142709746
He said, I don't remember if in this or other interview, that one of the reasons is that animators, producers and designers don't go see the world, they just keep working, and that's one of the reasons the industry e quality is becoming shit (or something in this line).
>>
>>142725391
>meme girl
>>
>>142725305
>do you want stupid mindless fun and silly idealised versions of women
There is nothing wrong with this though. Fun things are fun. If its fun and enjoyable, who the fuck cares? It's not like every single thing made is just that.
>>
>>142725391
I seriously can't find those designs attractive.
>>
>>142725388
Some do. There's Transmetropolitan, which is a little old now, and there's a crime/mystery one I like called Bedlam. Updates never, because non-capeshit rarely sells
>>
>>142713259
This
>>
>>142725452
But it's not enjoyable, anon. It's just annoying.
>>
File: poutyui.png (131 KB, 289x396) Image search: [Google]
poutyui.png
131 KB, 289x396
>>142725305
Anime has far more female writers who are worried with something beyond "girl power, please buy the comic, you have ovaries like me"

Even a hack like Okada is thousands of times better than this generation of comic writers

>>142725388
Anon, have you ever noticed that despite there being hundreds of thousands of people complaining about "nothing original anymore" there aren't near as many people capable of coming up with interesting stuff?

It's time to chill out and stop being so savvy.
>>
>>142725498
Not everyone has your taste.
>>
>>142725498
That's a matter of opinion. Why would you want to look at ugly things?
>>
File: 1464540447030.png (411 KB, 498x720) Image search: [Google]
1464540447030.png
411 KB, 498x720
>>142725305
>do you want stupid mindless fun and silly idealised versions of women
Uh, yes? Who the fuck wouldn't?
>>
>>142725498
That just happens because you prefer to stroke your own ego for a brief moment of "superiority"
>>
>>142725271
>http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/studio-ghibli-producer-claims-women-too-realistic-to-direct-films-140364.html

Any of the good ones worth their salt make some actual good manga, like Dorohedoro and Koe no Katachi.

>>142725388
Comics Code Authority. Believe it or not, up to the 1950's comics were far more varied, though probably not as much as manga today. In the 50's some guy convinced everyone important enough that comics were responsible for a lot of bad shit including drug abuse, communism and faggotry. Comics that were ultra-kid friendly were only allowed to be sold and these were stamped with the Comics Code Authority. These comics would have to avoid depicting: drug use, criminal behaviour in a sympathetic light, sexuality, etc. Naturally, capeshit was pretty much the only genre that fit the bill.
Eventually CCA died down, but the damage was done, by the late 80's pretty much two comic companies were in business to any meaningful extent... Marvel and DC.

Ironically, Japan's more free comic industry was a product of American post-war interference.
>>
>>142709746
>"humans who can’t stand looking at other humans".

I think that's more society in general really.
>>
>>142725530
>there aren't near as many people capable of coming up with interesting stuff?

Because it takes more than the idea. You need to actual skill to draw and write.
>>
>>142709746

I will never understand his perspective. How has anime at any point in time ever been realistic in its human component? Maybe he's always hated anime, but the introduction confuses me because it says "current state" as if pandering hasn't always been the default state. Pandering sells. Making what you love and sharing your work with fans who love it too is the whole point of media.
>>
>>142725552
>this is what moefags think when their shallow animu is insulted
>>
>>142725605
>>>/v/
>>
>>142709746
He may or may not be right. I've put a lot of thought into the industry and I've never reached a conclusion one way or the other.

That being said, I feel like he'd still be bitching even if the industry was nothing but masterpieces.
>>
File: 31243254353543.jpg (189 KB, 820x916) Image search: [Google]
31243254353543.jpg
189 KB, 820x916
Well, it's good when your anime sells only because of Miyazaki on poster. But what about others? There is a lot good anime from 2000-2016 that didn't sold. No matter how hard animators/writers/directors are trying, this shit will not sell ever. It's not worth it. Classic literature adaptation, popular fantasy etc. Doesn't matter. But, meanwhile if you pick random anime movie and write "Miyazaki" on poster it will be sell like cakes.
>>
File: 40140.jpg (34 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
40140.jpg
34 KB, 225x350
Reminder that Rumiko Takahasi:
>created the harem genre
>was and is to this day a massive otaku
>has never said anything bad about anime's fanbase
>personally apologized to children for her manga not being up to their standards
>became the literal wealthiest woman in Japan through the love of her work and medium
>has a fucking series airing right now

Why does anyone still listen to Hayao "REEEEEE" Miyazaki, again?
>>
>>142725667
>Rumiko Takahasi
>created the harem genre
I was racking my brain to think of what it could be. I guessed right, I should really watch that show someday.
Can't believe it was a woman came up with that.
>>
>>142725667
Thunder is louder than the rain.
>>
>>142725605
Please give me examples of your 2deep animu then
>>
>>142725153
Ghibli isn't doing a lot of original stuff, why would you want to waste Hosoda like that anon?
>>
File: Hellboy.png (170 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy.png
170 KB, 350x350
>>142725388
Hellboy is great.
>>
>>142725667
She is also dying alone. She never married. Or has been in any sort of relationship.
>>
>>142725760
>Can't believe it was a woman came up with that.
By the way, the main girl is her self-insert.
>>
>>142716893
>Animation shouldn't be about realism fuck that noise
Because Miyazaki's anime were all bout dat' realism right.

Listen, human characters should act human, even when they're in fantasy plots and involved in otherworldly circumstances.

Say what you will about anime. Most characters are archetypes rather than individual characters nowadays. With exceptions, of course.
>>
>>142725667
>Why does anyone still listen to Hayao "REEEEEE" Miyazaki, again?
Because Ghibli is babbys first studio.
>>
>>142725388
There's a lot of good comic stuff in West anon. Animation here is just straight up garbage though.
>>
>>142725667
lol Ranma is shit
>>
>>142725787
So?
>>
>>142725816
>Most characters are archetypes rather than individual characters nowadays

This
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.