[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better, to start reading old boy then watch the movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: oldboy-header.jpg (20 KB, 450x296) Image search: [Google]
oldboy-header.jpg
20 KB, 450x296
Which is better, to start reading old boy then watch the movie or watch the movie and then maybe read the manga
>>
Always read the mango first. I've never read it personally but the movie is alright, overrated and not as good as the director's other works but alright.
>>
File: Old Boy (2).png (235 KB, 800x1155) Image search: [Google]
Old Boy (2).png
235 KB, 800x1155
>>142331701
>>142331782
Nah don't comment if you haven't read it, I mean I do agree with your statement but there are always exceptions and this is one of them. Watch the movie and never read the manga unless you get extremely curious about how different and bad it is. It's really completely different to the movie and all for the worst, great artwork though.
>>
>>142332364
So you have read and watched both
>>
>>142332364
Let me guess. You watched the movie first.
>>
>>142332364
That's exactly why you should read it. Without knowing anything about it he would have read it anyways. Always source first if you know there is one.
>>
But what if the movie is better than the source wouldn't it be better to watch the movie then read the souce
>>
>>142331701
Watch the movie and don't bother with the mango.
>>
>>142331701
The movie is better and I read the mang first.
>>
Movie
>>
>>142331701
Movie first, it's simpler. The manga is a fairly abstract kind of revenge story rooted more in the psychology of the villain and his neurosis blown up to terrifying proportions. The movie is much more straight forward. Thematically the manga is more interesting. Tonally and aestheticaly the movie is more compelling. Watch Spike Lee's last and laugh at how bad it is and how hard it misses the point of both others.
>>
File: Old Boy (1).png (190 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
Old Boy (1).png
190 KB, 800x1188
>>142332411
Yes obviously.

>>142332438
Yes, you think that makes me biased towards the movie? or made me enjoy it more? I mean if I had read the manga first it's possible I would've thought of it of being slightly above decent but I highly doubt my opinion on it would've changed all that much because it really is flawed, it's a story built around a final climax that ultimately doesn't deliver, while the movie did deliver and grandiosely.

>>142332455
Guess you're right, OP didn't ask which to avoid, but which to begin with, which in my opinion doesn't matter, the result is gonna be the same in the end, okay manga, great movie.

>Tonally and aestheticaly the movie is more compelling.
I disagree, the manga's noir aesthetic is great and the art really pulls it off, the movie has none of that and atmospherically or tonally is nothing really cohesive or impressive.
>>
>>142331701
Movie first. Also thought the movie was better than the manga.

>>142335244
>Spike Lee
This is why American directors should leave foreign movies alone.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.