[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Japanese voice actors so inhumanly superior to western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1373042375866.png (89 KB, 387x260) Image search: [Google]
1373042375866.png
89 KB, 387x260
Why are Japanese voice actors so inhumanly superior to western ones? It's the single most impressive aspect of anime in my eyes, even shitty shows have good voices.

What caused it?
>>
>>142310456
>It's the single most impressive aspect of anime in my eyes
How can you see voice acting anon?
>>
>>142310456
voice acting is easier in Japanese than it is in English
>>
File: 1445531933519.gif (82 KB, 278x340) Image search: [Google]
1445531933519.gif
82 KB, 278x340
>>142310530
kek
>>
They actually have a proper animation industry to support voice acting as a profession for more than a half-dozen actors at a time.
>>
>>142310567
you base this on what?

I thought the difference is that the Japanese voice actors have lots on training and schooling before they are allowed to do voice acting.

while the western voice actors are just hollywood rejects and amatures.
>>
>>142310530
Why do deaf people need to wear glasses then?
>>
>>142310456
In the west, what the fuck do we have to voice act that isn't niche like say anime adaptions?

Basically nothing. Western cartoons kind of died off. So did the voice acting scene.
>>
>>142310456
>Why are Japanese voice actors so inhumanly superior to western ones?
They aren't.
>>
>>142310656

take a listen to the english dub on Shigatsu.
They all fucking sound like scooby doo
>>
>>142310641
>what the fuck do we have to voice act that isn't niche like say anime adaptions?
Disney or Pixar stuff, but more importantly plenty of scenes in live action also get redubbed by the original cast because the background noise didn't allow for clear recording on the site.
>>
>>142310456
If you have western voice actors for a japanese/japanese inspired show then its obvious that JP would be better. Even if its done badly, you wouldnt understand anyways so you wouldnt be able to tell if its good or bad
>>
>>142310697
>comparing redubs with original voice acting
You just went full retard.
Never go full retard.
>>
>>142310627
pretty much anyone who speaks Japanese can be a voice actor. with english in order to be more convincing you need to train more because of language differences
>>
>>142310456
Western va are good when it comes to western cartoons but western va dubbing jap things is just horrible
>>
>>142310632
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't?
>>
>Natively speaking english or has english as second language.
>Instantly able to tell if the english voice acting is bad because you hear/use it everyday and can compare the two.
>Dont know a shit about japanese except for some simple phrases.
>Can barely if at all differenciate between different accents.
>Have nothing to compare it to except other anime.
Gee i wonder why the japanese voiceacting sounds better.
>>
Greek dubs were suprisngly good aswel. I remenber some shows from back in 2005 DBZ shaman king.

It's all about how fluent a language is.
>>
OP is a weeaboo. Western VAs are better than Nip VAs. Even they know it.
>>
>>142310794
I don't speak Japanese, but I have found plenty of voice acting to be bad.
Of course, I couldn't judge their pronunciation of the Japanese language. But the emotional aspect is relatively universal once you've gotten used to how the Japanese usually speak.
>>
>>142310704
>plenty of scenes in live action also get redubbed by the original cast
Which requires the actors to just sound like themselves instead of being good at voicework.
>Disney or Pixar stuff
Shit they cast screen actors in to draw audiences anyway.
>>
>>142310976
>sound like themselves
There's plenty of acting involved.
Do you think all there is to voice acting is making your voice unrecognizable?

>they cast screen actors
So?
Voice actors are just actors that don't use their bodies. Real actors are superior (in theory - in reality half of the big name actors in Hollywood are so popular only because of their looks).
>>
Video games have respectable western voice acting these days. Anime dubbing is a special case. The budgets are low since no one buys anime so they can't rent studios for as long or hire known actors.

Back in the days when fansubbers still made translator notes western dubs were hated mainly because they weren't close enough to the original script rather than because of the amateur performances. Now subtitles are looser but the tradition of western dub hating persists, just that it's focused on acting primarily.
>>
>>142310456
English Anime VA's are no-name people with no experience who do it because it's the only work they can get. Anime industry is not so profitable in West hence pay is shit, so no good VAs do it. There's also the the issue that alot of these VAs just can't pronounce anything Japanese correctly so; names, places, techniques (etc) just end up sounding cringe worthy.

If you want examples of good English VAs, look at any big budget games. Games industry pays well so it gets best voice talent.
>>
They have a well organized industry for it. Practically all productions are based in Tokyo, there are agencies with their own schools and actors' wages are regularized according to ranks so even the biggest stars (like Wakamoto, Ootsuka Akio, Koyama Rikiya) can be still affordable, which means you can hear them in anything from anime and games to TV narration and foreign movie dubs.

>>142310794
>Have nothing to compare it to except other anime.
This is true, but in a positive way. Aside from few shows that use not so good rookies, the Japanese you hear in anime has much better pronounciation and intonation than what average people let out of their mouths on the streets.

If people watched random streamers or idol variety shows, they wouldn't spout shit like >>142310746.

>>142311150
>>142311363
Some games had great voice acting even back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fIjqwe3TcA
>>
Talk to people in Japansee and you'll find voice acting in anime is just as silly and cartoonist.
>>
>>142310456
They have schools dedicated to it, and you also kind of have to be able to sing now.
>>
Because you don't understand anything of Japanese so you can't tell. Learn Japanese and you'll start hearing the little nuances that make a voice actor good or bad.
>>
>>142311040
>Do you think all there is to voice acting is making your voice unrecognizable?
No, but when we're talking about voice acting on an anime board, naturally you're going to want to take the vast majority of anime into account.
And that means being able to sound like teenagers rather than sounding like 30-year-olds.
>>
>>142311777
Who are your favorite voice actors, Anon?
>>
File: 1462384453001.jpg (46 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1462384453001.jpg
46 KB, 720x480
>>142310456

Voice actors in Japan are celebrities, whose personality is important, and their job often extends way past voice acting alone, with talk shows, public events and appearances, singing careers and pretty much being an all-around entertainment idol.

Meanwhile in the western world voice actors are all literally whos whose name nobody will never remember unless they voice a character famous enough to be known on the whole planet, and in most cases no one even knows what they look like, not that they care to know.
>>
>>142310456
1 - Dubs make western voice actors look worse than they are.

2 - In the west anyone with acting talent aspires to be an actual actor, not a voice actor. Voice acting is a side-gig or a fallback.
>>
File: srsly.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
srsly.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>142310456
>obligatory east vs west thread
>>
File: Scum.png (291 KB, 734x895) Image search: [Google]
Scum.png
291 KB, 734x895
>>142310794
>2016
>not speaking japanese
>>
>>142310456
Western voice acting is top notch, actually. See: literally any and every Disney movie, Disney dubs of Miyazaki movies

The problem is that you're basing your claim on literally the bottom of the barrel of western voice acting. And I'm not talking about the dregs, I'm talking literally the wood that comprises the bottom seal of the barrel. The anime dub industry isn't taken seriously in the west. Most of what you get are people who can make funny voices that happen to know the guy who's directing the dub.

The other side of the coin that you're missing here, that you subs>dubs faggots refuse to acknowledge, is that American dubs sound bad and cringey because you know what normal English sounds like. You don't understand that normal, every day Japanese is incredibly subdued compared to what you find in Japanese anime, TV shows, or movies, and that the Japanese voice actors--while talented--still sound cringey as fuck.
>>
>>142310456

Two reasons:

Japanese is a monotone language, thus it's much easier to convey emotion

And

Japanese voice actors overact and ham it up to 11. You don't notice because you haven't grown up listening to Japanese people talk, so you attribute this over acting to more emotion, and it's more interesting to listen to.
>>
>>142314149
don't waste your time anon, no one will believe you.

people here will do anything just to "prove" that everything japanese is better than the west
>>
>>142310880
>the emotional aspect of language is universal

Tell that to people who speak Mandarin Chinese, where an excited tone versus an even one is the difference between the word for "stomach" and the word for "hello".

As a professional linguist, I wish I could fucking kill people like you. You have no idea what you're talking about, in even the barest sense.
>>
Because you aren't a native you can't tell how cringeworthy it is, that's why.
>>
Japanese VA has a better quality, but inflections are so fucing standarized, I keep hearing the same kind of dialogue pronounced the same way over and over and over again.

I suppose that's why so many shows insist on giving their characters a quirky sufix to their sentences (see most catgirls) or a unique laugh (see One Piece) so it's less blatant how samey everyone sounds.
>>
>>142314149
>>142314275
I don't think you need to understand how a language sounds in order to pick up on bad voice acting. We probably can't say how "good" it is, but mistakes and just plain unnatural sounding things would easily come across in any language. For example sometimes dubs even sound like someone trying to use a microphone without waking up their rooommate.

I'm pretty sure the fact that something sounds far more "natural" in a foreign language than it does in your own language speaks volumes.

There's also real differences in the production setup. I think I read that anime in Japan is voiced with all the actors together in a studio, which is the proper way to do it. It's done that way in English shows too, but for some reason they say the voice actors who dub anime basically just record everything by themselves, at home or something and then send it in.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.