[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or does anime, even when aimed at adults, delve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: YhrWuoc.png (611 KB, 736x454) Image search: [Google]
YhrWuoc.png
611 KB, 736x454
Is it just me, or does anime, even when aimed at adults, delve a lot less than other artistic mediums (even Western cartoons, much less live-action Western television) into social or political commentary? Hoping less for a political debate and more for why anime, even compared to other forms of entertainment, tends to avoid engaging with real-world issues even in a fictional context.

Pictured are two exceptions to the rule (one with a broadly left-wing message and one with a broadly right-wing message), feel free to agree or disagree with my interpretation.
>>
>>142253619
It is just you. Most popular anime films in the world are all environmentalist propaganda.
>>
Because not everything has to be about the real world with random authors/directors aiming to preach their stances to you under an "entertaining" veil. That's just bullshit. If you can't understand this then don't bother with anime.
>>
>>142253619
politics in japan is a largely uninteresting affair as it's basically a one party system.

Whats more interesting in cultural circles is work, literature/media, social issues and different hobbies. when you have a largely homogenious population the politics gets very dull. imagine if all of america was white suburbanites from georgia, you'd have very little in actual political debate as most people would believe pretty much the same thing. it's sorta like that in japan.
>>
>>142253723

Neither of the examples I cited are remotely "realistic". One can address relevant social and political themes, whether domestic or global, without being some dull period drama.
>>
>>142253808
>One can address relevant social and political themes
Why would you want that in entertainment?
>>
>>142253664
That is only because all the popular anime films in the world are Miyazaki's
>>
>>142253874
Sometimes I want to watch more than boobs and fights anon
>>
>>142253874

jesus christ, watch The Wire or something and come back to me
>>
>>142253891
The real answer to this is broadly that anime come under two categories stuff aimed at kids and stuff aimed at adults mostly otaku.

The stuff aimed at otaku for the most part is escapist and intentionally devoid of anything thoughtful it is mostly based in fantasy and wish fulfilment. The people that watch this are mostly people trying to avoid society not seeking to understand it and engage with it.

Where you more often find moral/social messages is in the kids anime in things like Precure, Ojamajo Doremi, Aikatsu, Pokemon, Gundam and so on where they are trying to teach kids how to be good citizens.
>>
>>142253990

Actually the sort of answer quality i was looking for .

I enjoy both escapist moeshit and more "intelligent" anime, making me either a true patrician or just really weird.
>>
File: 1459461019483.png (54 KB, 360x420) Image search: [Google]
1459461019483.png
54 KB, 360x420
>>142254323
>I enjoy both escapist moeshit and more "intelligent" anime, making me either a true patrician or just really weird.
>>
>>142254323
I think many people enjoy both. I can take Patlabor, Utena, Kaiba, or K-On!, Kamichu, and Ichigo Mashimaro and be happy with watching either. I just tend to like things that are thoughtfully crafted and well made and being "deep" in a cerebral sense isn't a pre-requisite for either of those. You might see many people engaging in these kinds of arguments over which is better but I tend to like to believe that the majority are just arguing to piss each other off.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.