[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about JoJo's that makes it so popular? When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: jojo.jpg (16 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
jojo.jpg
16 KB, 300x168
What is it about JoJo's that makes it so popular?

When did it happen? Is Jotaro the most popular Jojo?
>>
File: 1461975582383.gif (1 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
1461975582383.gif
1 MB, 444x250
>>
>>141836473
>What is it about JoJo's that makes it so popular?
The avant-garde style. The menacing text along with ridiculous poses/storyline made it a meme pretty early on.

Also Jotaro is the most popular because he appeals to nip women, who want to be insulted by him.
>>
Jojo had only a cult following outside of Japan until the anime caused it to explode.
>>
ZA BUMPO
>>
>>141836694
No.
>>
>>141836694
It was way before the 2012 anime, dude. Probably since the game Capcom made or the Wryyyy flash animation.
>>
>>141836473
Being here for so long, now everything is a JoJo reference. You know, like the Simpsons.
>>
>>141837736
Jojo didn't become popular till Part 3 was in serialization. That was like 1992-93 or so I think. After that it was pretty much everywhere even till now. It's like an immortal hallmark now.
>>
File: 20080604001749.jpg (423 KB, 393x591) Image search: [Google]
20080604001749.jpg
423 KB, 393x591
>>141836473
I buy a lot of the cheaply published "convenience store" editions that bought by japanese normies and low wage workers. Pic related.

In this area, several titles dominate: Jojo, Fukumoto titles, Mahjong titles, Kochikame and a few others. They are constantly being reprinted and are in continual demand.

What distinguishes them from other manga that may be popular but but less perennial is:
they are endlessly inventive
they are largely plot or gag driven-- like an American movie.
despite being sometimes violent or risque, they reinforce traditional morality and concepts of right and wrong.
They appeal to both older audiences and normal youth.
>>
>>141838083

Where are you from?
>>
I would say that part 3 got popular thanks to the OVA's during the 90s and the Play Station fighting game.

I didn't know at the time that JoJo's was a manga, let alone that it was part 3.

I met JoJo's with the fighting game, funny, I thought that Hol Horse was a good guy and that old Joseph Joestar was a bad guy.

And people knew so little about japanese culture back in the day that they thought that Jotoro was a policeman based on his clothes
>>
>>141838278
Las Vegas
>>
Parts 1 and 2 are the best.
>>
I remember that one v guy who dropped JoJo because Jotaro stopped being "cool" according to p4 spoilers he got. What I'm saying, fucking OVA overdid that stoicism.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.