[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fate/Zero
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 19
File: fz.jpg (45 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
fz.jpg
45 KB, 225x350
I am blown away by this anime. When my husband told me about the concept, I was skeptical to say the least. What? Mages that pair themselves with famous heroes from the past in order to pursue the holy grail? Excuse me?

But, what I got in this anime was an extraordinarily complex look at the conflict in the human condition. It is a philosophical exploration of age-old questions regarding leadership, servanthood, love, evil, and the salvation of humanity. The action is fantastic and enhances, rather than detracts, from the story and character development. The animation is superb and the use of CG effects is tastefully done and combines itself delicately with the animation. The music was BEAUTIFUL and I can't WAIT to get the soundtrack at my next opportunity. The openings and endings were gorgeous and memorable (I frequently get them stuck in my head).

Though there were so many characters present in this show, I very easily grew extremely attached to all of them. There are deaths in this show and each one hit me hard (either in the emotionally vulnerably spots or in the mental pondering). In my opinion, this story is really about two opposing characters when you boil it down to its essence: Emiya Kiritsugu and Kotomine Kirei.

This beats Fate/Stay Night by a long shot as well even though I have personally never experienced the original source material.
>>
k.
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=218884
>>
>>141721760
Shame UBW is shit.
Urobuchi writes well.
>>
>>141721760
This. The best anime from Fate series.
>>
>>141721760
babies first fate
>>
>>141721760
New pasta?
>>
>>141721760
>the use of CG effects is tastefully done
Not even MAL would say that.
>>
MAL reviews are funny
>>
It's funny how it's 2016 and people still need to remind /a/ that Zero is a shit ton better than the VN.
>>
>>141721760
I remember a friend once told me that this show was a work of merit silent, do not realize how good it is until you compare it with other works of the same genre
>>
>>141721760
>my husband told me about F/Z

Holy damm girl, your husband is cheating in you.
Fucking cuck.
>>
There was a time.
When men were men. They were screaming like crazy speeches, faced the impossible, and said things that made no sense, but that even so we did say "EPIC".
There was a time.
A time of captains Harlock, a master time Asia, a time of Domons.
Logic was not important. The strategy was not important. If you believe in the impossible, impossible would be nothing in front of you.

The time is gone
A wave of animes that have to be "realistic", "philosophical", "adults" around us. Are good? Are. Meet your purpose? Meet.
However, however ... I miss something.
Characters idiots who laugh in the face of death, and not to be shaken by anything. Characters that I remember that, in essence, in the beginning, were not meant to be realistic.
No wonder that I am addicted to shonens: manga as One Piece, Fairy Tail remind me that there are heroes who still believe that boundaries are bullshit, and that men should talk about crazy dreams with a smile on his face.

Few original anime (non-manga based) can pass this spirit, and if I had to indicate a Studio to produce an epic-without-notion, "Gainax" probably would not be the first on my list.
But they did so. Oh, how did.
Ladies and gentlemen, forgiveness for the lengthy introduction: Let's talk of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Many have already heard things about this series of 27 episodes. Effusive praise. Discouraging reviews. And you may already have heard the following phrase: "compliments to the Gurren Lagann are exaggerated"
And let us be clear: Yes. ARE.
But it could not be otherwise.
Gurren Lagann anime is not the type that parses. Is the type of anime to which you manifested with exaggeration and passion. "Overkill" is the key word of the anime: everything is extremely Titanic, extreme, "over-the-top", "larger than life", etc.
>>
>>141724921
With certain exceptions (some Gundam, some Macross, tss), never been a fan of mecha anime. Would be far from the top of my list and, being this a recurrent genre in every new season animes, I believe my dismay is understandable: it is both anime mecha clamoring arrogantly that will "revolutionize the genre", "overcome Evangelion", "be the new Gundam" and other things that many simply die on the beach, lost in own mediocrity.
Gurren Lagann will by reverse path: doesn't take itself seriously. Does not involve complex plots policies or attempts to "explore the essence of the human being". It's about guys inconsequential facing death in colorful fuses (and often ungainly) and BLOWING THINGS UP. Many things.

The series is a species of "giant parody mecha", a spoof so well done that took an undeniable brilliance. As the series develops, over the hump "70 years" (frantic action and episodic with colored robots), "80 years" (frantic action and sequential with specific enemies ... and colored robots!), "90 years" (frantic action with colorful robots ... in space!) and Century 21 (IE ... a tribute to the series, where the hype coming into the extreme).
The series features a climate extremely pure (remember One Piece in this sense) that does not match the latest productions of Gainax (with the exception of perhaps Diebuster): in Gurren the Studio tries their best to tell a story extremely positive, bright, boiling the blood-is as an antithesis of Evangelion.
>>
>>
>>141721760
Funnily enough this woman's/OP/whoever matches my feelings when I watched FZ for the first time

However I still like FSN and hope HF is nearly as good as FZ.
>>
Fate/Zero is literally just FSN with less emotionally stable MC and more mature setting. I wish Zero wouldn't attract casuals so bad.
>>
Uro>Nasu
>>
File: 1454706334947.png (194 KB, 490x575) Image search: [Google]
1454706334947.png
194 KB, 490x575
I dare you to name one thing more cancerous than a secondary.
>>
>>141729004
/u/ shitters.
>>
>>141721760
MAL review thread?
>>
>>141729004
Fujos?
>>
>>141729004
Someone who thinks the Fate VN is good
>>
File: 1463307960875.jpg (33 KB, 524x505) Image search: [Google]
1463307960875.jpg
33 KB, 524x505
>>141729004
People who actually read chuuni VN's with forces eroge scenes.
>>
File: afindsfallsinlovewithaway.png (753 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
afindsfallsinlovewithaway.png
753 KB, 1280x720
>>141729004
>>
>>141729004
Secondaries who think their opinion matters.
>>
>>141729833
That would be all secondaries.
>>
Never watched/played a Fate anime/game.
Where do i start? with Fate/Zero anime?
>>
>>141729981
Ask reddit.
>>
>>141729981
Carnival Phantasm and>>141730012
>>
>>141730012
welp this was my first day on /a/ and it'll be my last.
Thanks
>>
>>141721760
>This beats Fate/Stay Night by a long shot
That doesn't really say anything, now does it?
>>
>>141729004
I've read the VN already, you retarded shitters who think F/Z is bad just because it focuses on plot over characterization is deluded. It is purely subjective whether or not F/SN is better than F/Z.
>>
>>141730129
>It is purely subjective
What you enjoy is always just that - subjective.

I found zero to be somewhat dull show that tried to be as edgy as it could.
>>
>>141721760
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

/a/ doesn't need MAL reviews to shit up the board.
>>
>>141730263
Only thing /a/ needs is waifus and hentai.
>>
>>141730226
F/Z is no more edgier than F/SN.

Also do you really think a setting where half of the masters attend the same school is good writing? F/SN is largely the character development and exploration of Shirou and the main girl of the respective route. F/Z focuses on what a grail war would be in a hypothetical realistic situation.
>>
>>141721760
Why is it that a lot of butcherfags are grils? What makes his stuff so appealing to them?
>>
>>141730365
>do you really think a setting where half of the masters attend the same school is good writing?

Considering the set up to the story? Yeah, it's fine.

The 5th War was not some grandiose thing that was planned out years in advance. It was the result of a fuck up of the 4th, which led to a speeding up of the events of the story.

The three families were ill prepared, and in fact, Zouken basically wanted to say "fuck that" to the whole process, and wait until the 6th, with only throwing a token to Shinji in two of the routes.
>>
>>141730365
>the setting somehow influences the writing
>butcherwriting not pure edge.
>>
>>141721897
UBW is shit because it was one route of a visual novel out of three, and Nasu's writing style is hugely reliant on expository/inner dialogue that doesn't translate well to screen at all. Tonally it's a real jolt coming off of Fate/Zero too.

Otherwise I'd kind of agree. Urobuchi manages to be pretty good when he wants to be and Fate/Zero is a modern classic.
>>
File: utena.png (473 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
utena.png
473 KB, 720x480
This thread looks deportable.
>>
>>141730365
I didn't compare the two in anyway but instead offered my opinion on zero
>>
>>141730226
>tried to be as edgy as it could

I'm not buying this one fucking bit. Sure Zero had its edge moments, but a lot of the time it actually managed to pull of dramatic moments without coming across as too melodramatic or forceful.
>>
>>141730499
>UBW is shit because it was one route of a visual novel out of three

Which is not an issue. UBW didn't label itself as Fate/stay night. It labeled itself as Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works].

It was not the VN as a whole, it was not a sequel to Fate/Zero, it was an adaptation of the route.

The only real problem here is that your expectations were different. You wanted Fate/One.
>>
File: saber and iri.jpg (295 KB, 1280x1138) Image search: [Google]
saber and iri.jpg
295 KB, 1280x1138
Fate/Zero Anthology Drama 1-4
https://mega.nz/#!L8hw1awK!P3wfWlb_4ykriYaN8sgjCEEgwD9WqV6wGrbCmZAV_Lc
https://translation-blog.tumblr.com/post/21210458027/project-page-fatezero-special-drama-cds

Fate/Zero Anthology Drama 5
https://youtu.be/wGSz-ZVeJUE

Fate/Zero BLACK - Black History Gag of The Holy Grail War
https://yadi.sk/d/DdROjrFBewdeQ

Fate/Zero Season 1 Drama Script
http://imgur.com/a/bWtC6

Fate/Zero Season 2 Booklet
http://www.mediafire.com/?e1p0cbg19mb5enh

Fate/Zero The Adventure
fz-adv.pocke.bz/
https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=478710

Fate/Zero [Next Encounter]
ameblo.jp/fz-social/
>>
>>141730365
>Also do you really think a setting where half of the masters attend the same school is good writing
Why is this always a grips for zerobabies?
>how dare the characters go to school!

>hypothetical realistic situation.
Not even close because the Grail War isn't a "war", it's a ritual. The only time the ritual is actually completed is in HF route, making it the only "realistic" "grail war", because the process leading up to the ritual is irrelevant.
>>
>>141730498
Sakura worms was in HF that was why it was even s thing in HF. The edgy cool kids means very little when compared to what happened to Ilya, both by Gil and the Einzberns. Also don't get me started on Shinji and Sakura in HF.

>>141730493
Most of F/SN setting was required to build up Shirou's character, henc ethe three routes complete each other. F/Z doesn't have that luxury but it was never aimed towards exploring a single character anyway. It was aimed towards a different view in mind; delving into the aspect of the Holy Grail War and not the aspect of a master/servant and their struggles.
>>
>>141730638
>zerobabies
Nice ad hominem, anyone that thinks F/SN has poor writing in regards to the setting must be a secondary and hasn't rea dthe VN right? It's the single best writing out there so people must be secondaries if they disagree right? Fuck off retard.

>ritual
I already explained why people would like F/Z over F/SN, the plot vs characterization aspect. If you can't wrap your head around the differences of both stories then there's no helping you fanboy.
>>
File: 1463452760518.png (226 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1463452760518.png
226 KB, 1500x1000
>>141721760
Thank you for your bait here's your (you) .
>>
>>141730732
I'd consider anyone who unironically thinks the setting has a direct impact on quality of writing to be a baby mentally, definitely.
>>
>>141730655
The point I'm making is that the fact that the war itself isn't some huge thing is established in the story. The 5th War is an unstable and rushed event as a result of screw ups during the 4th.

There's typically 60 or so years between wars. There was 10 between the 4th and 5th, and as such, it was a lot more improvisatory.
>>
>>141729004
A primary?
>>
>>141721760
>liking fate zero kek
>edgefag
could be bait, otherwise, this is not your personal blog.
>>
>>141730798
No you're just one of those obsessed fatefags who think F/SN is the greatest thing ever. Fuyuki being as big as it is has half the participating masters in a school and most of them are all somehow connected to Shirou. Secondary or not that is plain silly. I also never attacked F/SN on its characterization but on the setting and why some may not like it because of it being pure plot convenience, easy writing per se, but keep fanboying I'm sure Nasu appreciates it.
>>
>>141730950
It is in no way silly, have you even read it?
>>
>>141730618
Best drama CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr8xIr93O3o
>>
>>141730226
>I found zero to be somewhat dull show that tried to be as edgy as it could
Whoa there chump, if you are thinking about anime itself it was simply not true, brutalilty was toned down and censored besides, how it was more edgy than Heaven's Feel? More tragic, maybe.
>>141730498
>>141730943
>butcherwriting not pure edge
>muh edge meme
I swear to god if Tsukihime or KnK were to be released today people like you would call it pure edgefest.
>>
>>141730810
Yes I know which is why F/Z and F/SN can't really be compared because they are both stories about different things.

>>141731025
>s-secondary
Yes I have but you will just keep crying secondary anyway since I'm not worshiping your favorite VN of all times. The fact that you think that easy writing of a setting to be good writing is the epitome of being a fanboy.
>>
>>141730950
Fuyuki might be big but the amount of people who have knowledge of magic are not.
>>
>>141730610
I think people need to understand the zeitgeist at which UBW was released in it.

Some people seem to think, for whatever reason, that the DEEN show "doesn't count". That it's just some non-factor. But it does matter.

It was released less than 10 years before UBW. Hell, there was a manga that ran until 2012, and that says nothing about the VN itself.

So there's like, at that point, three complete and thorough tellings of the Fate route. Some differences here and there, but all the major beats are secured. So when you watch UBW, you're expected to know this stuff.

It's like the latest Captain America movie. Spider-Man shows up. They don't really get into his origin though. Why? Cause everyone fucking knows it. Five movies since 2002. It's done. We get it. Spider bite and shit. Don't need to tell it again. Even tribals in Africa know it. Let's move on.
>>
>>141729981
If a serious question, it's always play the VN, make sure it's not pure realta nua, but the version with the h-scenes.
>>
>>141730610
>Which is not an issue

It plainly is when you have revelations and development missing from the Fate route which made certain elements of UBW so good in the game.

>You wanted Fate/One
No I fucking didn't, I didn't want any adaptation at all thank you very much.
>>
>>141731128
If you had read it you would know that there is a good reason for the density of the masters and that it would make no sense otherwise.
>>
>>141731121
No one denies that HF, KnK, and Tsukihime are edgy, but even all of them added up would not equal Just Ryuunosuke+Kerry's edge.
>>
>>141731232
See >>141731169

Fate's story had readily been told. There's nothing "missing". You can go play the game, watch the old anime, read the old manga. There are options. Don't just assume you're forced to live in some sort of Ufotable bubble.

>No I fucking didn't, I didn't want any adaptation at all thank you very much.

Well good for you? You got something extra that didn't hurt you at all.
>>
>>141731121
It's amazing that more people don't see the KnK OVAs for the clusterfuck they are. Nebulous themes, a mess of a storyline and underdeveloped characters. It only stands up (barely) if you've read the source material, which isn't a good thing for an adaptation.
>>
>>141730610
>it was not a sequel to Fate/Zero
>>
>>141731233
That's funny because you don't even have to read it to understand why there's so many masters congregated and even then it's not the only thing that makes sense it's just an easy explanation, if you read any of Nasu's work then you would actually realize Nasu always does this. It still doesn't make that good writing It's pure plot convenience so Nasu can condense the story and focus on Shirou and you know it.
>>
>>141731379
In the sense that it takes place after it, yeah, but FSN came first. It's its own thing.
>>
>>141730129
It's exactly because i love fate/zero that i don't like secondaries. They can't come nearly as close to the appreciation i have for it because they didn't read the VN before watching it.
>>
>>141729004
Prostate cancer
>>
>>141731311
>readily
We're talking anime adaptations here. DEEN did a pretty okay job given they had to crowbar a bunch of other stuff into an already established plot, but it was nowhere near adequate.

>Don't just assume you're forced to live in some sort of Ufotable bubble
If you really don't think Zero transitioning into Fate would have been a better move, especially considering Saber's prevalence and the wealth of development she goes through in that route (which goes a long way to explaining her mannerisms in UBW), then I don't know what to tell you. I'm talking about Ufotable. I don't care about DEEN, I don't care about the fucking manga.

>There's nothing "missing"
There fucking is though. You really introducing Rider and then killing her off straight away and other shit like that is going to fly for a person who's never played the game? What about Kirei and the children in the church?
>>
>>141731560
or just a faggot
>>
>>141730610
Ufotable's UBW anime was shit because of how it was written and directed, regardless of the route adaptation.
>>
>>141731543
>but it was nowhere near adequate

How? It didn't have a huge budget, certainly, but I think it told Fate's story fairly well. It didn't butcher any f the main elements of the route. Its biggest problem was that it tried to merge in stuff from UBW and HF, but they can practically be ignored, as they don't ultimately influence the plot in anyway.

>I'm talking about Ufotable. I don't care about DEEN, I don't care about the fucking manga.

Which is the problem. You are selectively ignoring the fact that other adaptations exist.

And not even old adaptations. Less than 10 years. The manga less than 5.

You have multiple means of learning and experiencing this story, but /you/ choose not to, because /you/ choose to limit yourself based off a certain studio.

It's just very limiting on your part, and I don't know why you choose to see things in this way.

>>141731684
I completely disagree, but this is a whole different conversation.
>>
>>141731749
Hell, even Ufotable doesn't ignore the UBW movie.

If you watch the movie and the series, you can see how the latter, almost with surgical precision, chose to change things that the movie did just in such a way that it made it seem like it was a different interpretation of the story.
>>
>>141731749
>Which is the problem. You are selectively ignoring the fact that other adaptations exist
No I'm not. Because I'm talking about Ufo UBW and why it didn't work as well without the Fate route, and why Ufo should have kicked off with Fate instead of going straight into UBW. I'm not sure why you seem to keep plying other renditions of the Fate route into this conversation as if you're making any kind of point whatsoever. If Ufo wanted to do a Fate anime, they should have gone all out or not at all, especially considering Saber's crucial involvement in Zero and her arc throughout Fate.

>And not even old adaptations
DEEN UBW isn't old either. Why does that get a pass then? Because it sucked? The DEEN anime sucked too, and the manga was average so there you go. Heaven's Feel has a manga too, by the way.

>You have multiple means of learning and experiencing this story, but /you/ choose not to, because /you/ choose to limit yourself based off a certain studio
Because I'm talking about Ufotable UBW, you fucking idiot. I'm talking about Ufotable. Holy fucking shit.

I think we might be having two separate conversations here.
>>
File: 1455489412237.jpg (195 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1455489412237.jpg
195 KB, 1600x900
>Fate
Babbys first VN
>>
>>141732087
Again, I point you to this post. >>141731169

You are living in a bubble, where, for some reason, you don't think it odd to tell the same story for a /fourth/ time in less than 10 years.

The Fate route does exist, and it's been told in a variety of mediums. The fact that you pound ceaselessly away at Ufotable is proving my point. Ufotable isn't the end all be all here. Fate's story has been reiterated, and reiterated.

As I clearly pointed out here>>141731963, Ufotable didn't ignore UBW, as they carefully made sure to avoid copying the movie to any serious extent, but the other major factor here is that the UBW movie just was not thorough.

It was 90 minutes. It skimmed things. There was more to cover. Meanwhile, DEEN made a 24 episode adaptation of the Fate route. The manga ran for six years. It squeezed the story dry for content.

Again, we need to understand the air at which these adaptations were released.

People fucking groaned at how in Batman vs Superman, they covered Batman's origin again. Despite the Nolan movies doing it. Despite the Burton movies doing it. Despite everything. It's pointless and redundant.

It's understandable why a studio would choose not to do it again for Fate so soon.
>>
>>141732258
Why did you even post this?
>>
>>141732258
That's Katawa Shojo
>>
File: 143865249543.jpg (49 KB, 488x480) Image search: [Google]
143865249543.jpg
49 KB, 488x480
>>141732384
Okay I am thoroughly convinced that you're ignoring everything I've just said so I will spell it out for you very plainly:

I. Am. Talking. About. Ufotable. Because. I. Am. Talking. About. Ufotable. UBW. And. Its. Faults. Stemming. From. The. Underdevelopment. Of. Certain. Cast. Members. And. Other. Problems. That. May. Have. Otherwise. Been. Rectified. Had. Ufotable. Elected. To. Adapt. All. Three. Routes. Instead. Of. Just. Two. I. Do. Not. Give. A. Fuck. About. Any. Other. Media. Relating. To. The. Fate. Route. I. Am. Aware. They. Exist. However. I. Am. Talking. About. Ufotable. Right. Now. Not. DEEN. Not. Any. Other. Studio. Ufotable.

Are we clear now? If Ufotable were going to adapt Fate, they should have done it properly. UFOTABLE. Just because I'm speculating as to the potential benefits of Ufotable perhaps having chosen to kick off their adaptation of Fate with the Fate route instead of UBW does in no way mean I'm pretending the other adaptations of the Fate route do not exist. I'm saying for cohesion's sake, especially coming off of Zero, they would have benefited immeasurably from starting with Fate instead of UBW.

>It's understandable why a studio would choose not to do it again for Fate so soon
And I'm saying from a storytelling point of view, Ufotable would have benefited from starting with the Fate route instead of UBW. Why are you still talking about this? In fact why are we still talking at all?
>>
>>141732384
>but the other major factor here is that the UBW movie just was not thorough.
This really shits me too, actually. The DEEN adaptation was not fucking adequate at all, considering its fumbles when it came to animation and characterization. Ufotable doing a straight adaptation of it would be the ideal representation of the Fate route in a visual medium. Ideally.

What are people going to say if they watch DEEN F/SN and go into UBW? Totally anime original elements and logic that existed in DEEN's Fate world would cease to be in UBW causing confusion.
>>
No one gives a fuck about fate shit.
>>
What the fuck happened to Kotomine in UBW? Did he really get killed by Lancer and burned in the Einzbern mansion? Isn't he undead thanks to the grail at the end of Zero?
>>
>>141732708
>I. Am. Talking. About. Ufotable. Because. I. Am. Talking. About. Ufotable

And that's your problem. Marvel Studios sweat it too hard when they decided to just add in Spider-Man to the latest Captain America. Why? Cause everyone knows it.

You don't lose "cohesion" because there are readily available options to gain that cohesion.

Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] didn't sell itself on being a full adaptation. Just an adaptation of one particular route. If you watch it, and end up feeling confused, one, that is partially the viewer's fault for skipping content, but it can readily be rectified by going back and viewing the already created missing content.

You see to have this issue with the fact that things aren't lined up neatly in a row with one studio handling everything, but it's still simple to follow. You go chronologically.

I mean DEEN's Log Horizon is just a continuation of Satelight's.

>>141732860
I think you greatly exaggerate the differences in logic in DEEN's adaptation. There are a few differences here and there, but nothing major. The biggest issue is that some may feel that UBW retreads too much content, due to the added stuff by DEEN.

I also don't think the characterization is particularly off. Shirou suffers from being Fate route Shirou early on, but that's to be expected for a character that is still early in realization and development.
>>
>>141732979
The burning of the mansion destroyed his body, so it's all good.
>>
>>141732983
Keep in mind, I don't think DEEN's adaptation was perfect, but like, yeah, if you want to watch Fate animated, that's where you should start.

If another adaptation comes along, and it's good, that's fine too, but I think all these adaptations have their place. Despite really disliking it overall, I think the UBW movie has its merits in a few places.
>>
>>141732979
This>>141733018 plus Gay Bolg's thorns.
>>
>>141732983
I don't know what you are arguing about, but how about you take your capeshit somewhere else.
Not only does it belong here, nobody gets the analogies you make with it.
>>
>>141733219
Sorry, I'm just trying to relate something that's swarming western media right now in a way that Fate is in Japan.

You're at least aware that there are a lot of fucking Spider-Man movies, right? They keep on pumping them out. You watch one, kind of get the basic story. No need to retell how the guy got to be able to shoot webs out his ass again.

That's the same thing with the Fate route. There's the original VN story. The 2006 anime. The manga that ran until 2012. The story's been told, so like, if you go into UBW, and are confused, you have options to learn how to not be confused.

Like, do you get me?
>>
>>141730129
>>141730226
VN fags have to fall back on

>everything is subjective

I read the VN too, and it was fucking awful. There's 50 hours I'm never getting back.
>>
File: 1463525455378.png (209 KB, 405x347) Image search: [Google]
1463525455378.png
209 KB, 405x347
>>141732983
>And that's your problem. Marvel Studios sweat it too hard when they decided to just add in Spider-Man to the latest Captain America. Why? Cause everyone knows it.
This is a piss fucking poor analogy and I'm not particularly sure what it's supposed to be in aid of.

"My problem" with talking about Ufotable in particular is talking about Ufotable in particular to you? You are a fucking idiot.

>You don't lose "cohesion" because there are readily available options to gain that cohesion
I AM TALKING ABOUT UFOTABLE HOLY FUCKING CHRIST.

>Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] didn't sell itself on being a full adaptation. Just an adaptation of one particular route.
No shit. Ufotable teased a ery big Fate anime project, and they elected to go with UBW instead of Fate. Which I'm saying was a mistake. Which also, funnily enough, has no bearing whether or not I preclude any other forms of Fate route media in this conversation. Because again, I am only talking about Ufotable and how their Fate project, and indeed Zero, would have benefited from a proper Fate route adaptation.

>You seem to have this issue with the fact that things aren't lined up neatly in a row with one studio handling everything
Funny that when I'm talking about one studio in particular I stick to talking about that studio in particular, isn't it?

I'm just about bored of this.
>>
>>141733018
>>141733185
I hope ya'll are meming me. All that subtle build up for nothing. I was under the impression he would fight against Shirou. I'm a filthy secondary but I bet it's better in the VN. Right?
>>
Fate/Zero is GOAT
Fate/Stay Night VN is WOAT complete waste of an interesting premise until Urobuchi came along.
>>
>Still falling for the zerofag bait
Never change /a/
>>
>>141733386
He fights him in Fate, and he fights him in HF.
>>
>>141731295
Kerry's more angsty than edgy desu

but alright, keep using your buzzwords anon
>>
>>141731684
Ufotable's UBW anime was shit because source material shit
ftfy
>>
>>141733386
I would tell you why his death in UBW is simple but clever, but how about you fucking find out yourself.
>>
>>141733386
Do you expect all the routes to have the same final bosses?
>>
>>141733358
And again, I don't know why I have to keep pounding this into your head.

These productions don't live in a bubble. You choose to only focus on Ufotable, which is my point. You shouldn't.

I get that you're mad that they didn't make another adaptation of Fate, and I'm sorry that you didn't get to see the route again, but don't act like Ufotable's story suffer as a result.

Fate's story has been told. Many times. Many times in less than 10 years.

You can't just scoop that all away, and say it doesn't count. We need to start right at the beginning again, when fucking it's already in everyone's memory.
>>
>>141729004
my grandfather is dying of cancer as we speak
>>
>>141733411
>>141733448
>>141733473
Like I said, I wouldn't know. But after watching him in Zero it just comes off as a huge letdown.
>>
>>141732983
>Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] didn't sell itself on being a full adaptation. Just an adaptation of one particular route. If you watch it, and end up feeling confused, one, that is partially the viewer's fault for skipping content, but it can readily be rectified by going back and viewing the already created missing content.
>that is partially the viewer's fault for skipping content
Nigga,are you okay? It's not the fucking viewer's fault,not when UFO gave 0 fucks about the Fate's DEEN
And if you forgot Fate route's was free in Japan because they skipped it http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/19/fatestay-night-realta-nuas-saber-route-free-smatphones/
>>
>>141733570
At least he's not a Zerobaby. My condolences.
>>
>>141733557
Okay I'm done with you.

Die in a fucking yachting accident or something. Rear a child and leave it behind.
>>
>>141733601
Yeah, maybe because you watched less than 1/3rd of the story you were supposed to watch first after the prequel.
And then you come here and ask retarded questions.
>>
>>141733557
And if someone chooses to start UBW before experiencing the story through any of the various entry points before it, that's their issue. It's like starting at season two of a show, and being confused.

>>141733607
They didn't ignore DEEN, though. They talked about how if they wanted to adapt Fate again, it would need changes because it's so familiar to viewers.
>>
>>141733669
I don't know why you're mad at me, I'm just trying to make a point here that UBW wasn't released without the foundation that Fate provided.
>>
>>141733601
Don't worry, the best fight in the entire VN is Shirou vs Kotomine at the end of HF
>>
>>141733757
>best
Let's not get carried away here.
>>
>>141733386
When I saw 2006 I found his fight at the end of Fate funny. His fight in the true end of HF is one of the best fight scenes Nasu wrote. Nasu can't write for the life of him but he could definitely build a interesting world. Unless it's a Hscene where everything revolves around mollusks. Still though 9 lives is my favourite scene of the VN.
>>
Why is anybody acting like the anime was supposed to be some sort of complete story? Some things are much better off not being adapted, most visual novels fall into that category, especially something like F/SN, where the routes build off of each other.

However they made an adaptation, that's fine. But why are people acting like it's anything but fanservice for people who read the vn? That's all it is, just a way for people who have already read the vn to see certain scenes animated, nothing else. If you didn't do that, and decided to jump into the middle and then say you don't like it, it doesn't make sense, the characterization isn't as deep, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>141729004
People who take pride in having read a shitty VN
>>
>>141733730
I literally never disagreed with you, you fucking autist. I was talking about U F O T A B L E
>>
>>141734085
>pride
Do you mean "enjoyment"?
>>
>>141734205
Nope. I meant what I wrote.
>>
>>141733966
I think of all the routes, UBW would suffer the less in being a complete story. Almost all of the servants have a presence, and most of the basics is explained again in UBW, such as the holy grail war.
The only thing that it really suffers from, in my opinion, is how Shirou's projection seemly comes out of nowhere in UBW, but it was explained in depth in Fate so its assumed you already know.
>>
>>141733686
You got me there. I'm getting the VN now, but what was I supposed to watch after Zero?
>>
>>141734926
>I'm getting the VN now
You're buying it?
>>
>>141733966
One could argue that it shouldn't just be fanservice, but since ufotable is doing a whole Fate project by adapting the other routes too, I guess it's okay since they're emulating how the routes build off each other in the VN. They better deliver though.
>>
>>141734926
You were not supposed to watch Zero.
Your are the worst kind of person, casual enough to just watch anything without informing yourself about it, but feeling invested enough to go somewhere and talk about it even though you were not interested enough to do it right.
>>
>>141729004
Taigafags. How could anyone like her?
>>
File: 1460605381069.jpg (36 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
1460605381069.jpg
36 KB, 400x489
>>141736399
Taiga is, unequivocally, the best girl.
>>
File: This Bait This Bait This Bait.png (21 KB, 620x456) Image search: [Google]
This Bait This Bait This Bait.png
21 KB, 620x456
>>141721760
>>
>>141722505
babbies first bate
>>
>>141721760
>When my husband told me about the concept
Should've gone with "my wife's son"
>>
File: AddM83j.jpg (64 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
AddM83j.jpg
64 KB, 1440x810
How's this for a thought.

I thought.... Unlimited Blade Works worked fairly well as a pseudo-sequel of sorts to Fate/Zero? Spiritually, it worked. And it forged some common ground between Zero's Saber & UBW Saber, with those visual callbacks and added dialogue.
>>
File: Zabaitniya..png (261 KB, 1600x1612) Image search: [Google]
Zabaitniya..png
261 KB, 1600x1612
>>141739856
>sequel
>sequel to something that was there before it was
>>
I liked the ending of fate SN anime, otherwise it was kind of bad.

The second half of unlimited blade works was shit besides Ilya dying next to berserker and more lancer spotlight

Fate zero was pretty solid to be honest lads I watched it first so I had no idea how it would end

Don't care for more porn games so I haven't slogged through the VNs
>>
File: 1456978627389.jpg (219 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1456978627389.jpg
219 KB, 800x600
>>141733601
This is like watching the Star Wars prequels first then skipping to Empire and complaining things don't make sense.
>Why isn't Anakin a whiny bitch anymore
>what happened to that death star they were making
>Who the fuck is this Han Solo guy
>did they seriously kill off obi wan in between movies?
>>
>>141740483
Your opinions are bad.
>>
Okay so
Should I even bother trying to read FSN at this point? Like the original VN.

I hear the original anime is pure horseshit (even moreso than the vn itself) but would I be missing out that much if I just went straight to Zero?
>>
>>141740584
>I hear the original anime is pure horseshit

It's not.

The VN is well liked by a lot of people. It's long, but if the premise interests you, go for it.

You can, I suppose, watch Zero first, but it's not meant to be, and it will give you a false impression of the franchise and a lot of things about the story.
>>
>>141724668
>girl
>>
>>141740584
The VN isn't very good, but you suggest you read if if you liked the anime adaptation.
So you can try the anime first, but I think Zero is more enjoyable if you watch F/SN first. Maybe start with the Deen and/or Ufo Fate anime first before moving on to Zero?
>>
>>141740690
Do not start with the Ufotable anime. That's a terrible idea.

You simply need to begin with the Fate route. If that's through the VN, or the DEEN anime, or whatever, that's fine, but you need that basis. Then you can go into UBW, because UBW is meant to be sequentially followed by Fate.

Likewise, Zero is meant to be experienced after the entirety of FSN, but it's not wholly dependent upon it.
>>
>>141740750
>because UBW is meant to be sequentially followed by Fate

Scratch that. Reverse it.
>>
What would be the order of consumption one of you fine folks would

recommend to someone not quite fully in the loop such as myself?

F/Z started great ( much better than F/SN ) but failed to deliver.
>>
>>141740826
If you read FSN, you can go on to get into just about anything else Type Moon. It's really the glue that holds it all together. That's what everything references back it.

In terms of anime. I guess tackle anything marked Fate/stay night, and go for release order. The 2006 series, the 20014 series, and the upcoming 2017 movies.
>>
>>141740899
The 2014 series, I mean. Though the 20014 one has its merits too.
>>
File: 120494573754306.jpg (146 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
120494573754306.jpg
146 KB, 1280x720
>>141740584
Fate Zero was better at capturing the feel of the holy grail war, it's
like Fate Stay Night was written after Fate Zero and served as the superior sequel.
>>
>>141740993
Fate/stay night really isn't about the grail war. It ends up being a character study for the protagonist, and in the end, I think that's what makes it so enduring.

Think about all the conversations people have over Shirou, his choices, his beliefs. He's a really fucking good character.

There have been several "straight" grail war type stories since, but stuff like Apocrypha never really impacted much, and the same so far with Strange Fake.

I mean they're neat, but at the end of the day, they're not really transcending the concept.
>>
>>141740584
Read the vn. That's the only way. Make sure it's the original version with h-scenes. Going to zero first is a terrible idea.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.