[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is toradora the best love story ever told?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 14
File: 23070_toradora.jpg (99 KB, 670x477) Image search: [Google]
23070_toradora.jpg
99 KB, 670x477
why is toradora the best love story ever told?
>>
Why is Taiga so fuckable?
>>
File: end of civilization.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
end of civilization.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
>>141704682
Because they don't make true love stories anymore for some reason. Probably because they don't fucking sell.
>>
>Always say it
>People call me out and say it's shit
>Blah blah blah it's still the best love story ever told
>No one has asked WHY it is

You've got me, OP.
>>
>>141704802
No one has ever actually answered the question either.
>>
File: 1463363473648.png (182 KB, 481x511) Image search: [Google]
1463363473648.png
182 KB, 481x511
>>141704682
It's the best because you actually get to watch them fall in love with eachother, as opposed to the usual shit that passes for "romance" in anime (e.g. a guy has crush on a girl and tries to woo her but doesn't succeed until he very end of the series.)
>>
>>141704682
Because for once they didn't fucking ruin everything in the last minute for some drama-whoinr asspull. I swear 90% of Japanese shit these days ends with "OH BUT WE CAN'T REALLY BE TOGETHER BOOHOO".

No. In this anime they declare their love, make out, and it's implied they fucked. If you take epilogue VN into account they fucked so much they had multiple babies.

They tries to ruin it with Taiga leaving, they really did, but in the end they stopped being slanty-eyed dumbfucks for one moment and ended it right.
>>
>>141704802
I did it just for you anon (^_^)
>>
>>141704682
It's shit and Taiga is worst girl.
>>
>>141704747
>Probably because they don't fucking sell.
Shouldn't have made worst girl the main love interest then.
>>
>>141704682

Because:

1) It has a solid historical basis. Many of Shakespeare's best works involve matchmakers and the love interactions between them (Twelfth Night, Merchant of Venice, Etc.) It is thematically sound because it explores friendship and falling in love, how we want to be seen vs. how we are, and tension is kept by holding back the reveal.

2) It strongly connects to emotions through covering all the seasons and the changes in relationship, where Valentine's Day and Christmas are key points (these are the two largest romantic holidays).

3) It is grounded in reality and is a story of family unification (which is what marriage is) rather than family division or "forbidden love". They make things work by merging their families and reconciling.

4) It copies the core part of Nakige, which is, love, a long absence, and a reunion. This along with the holiday/seasonal scenes allow it to create really strong moments that connect with the audience.

5) The characters are all actually very well rounded. They develop without compromising their core identity. And their motivations are continuous.

6) Unlike The Pet of whatever or Ano Hana, the story does not rely on things which do not or cannot happen. There's no magical AI, there's no convenient ghost.

7) Metaphors for love are cleverly placed throughout the entire story and some of them are pretty good. Especially conversations held in metaphor.

8) Right balance of action, comedy, romance, drama. These elements are really hard to integrate.

Hope this helps. You're all gay.
>>
File: Ami_kawashima.jpg (28 KB, 631x480) Image search: [Google]
Ami_kawashima.jpg
28 KB, 631x480
>>141704682
It had potential but it wasn't the best love story ever told because best girl didn't win.
>>
>>141705220
>The characters are all actually very well rounded. They develop without compromising their core identity. And their motivations are continuous.
There are plenty of moments character act out of character. The biggest ones are when Taiga suddenly decides to act nice for Christmas even though it doesn't make sense, and pretty much everything that happens at the end of the show.
>>
>>141704682
That award goes to Twilight.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 800x450
How could a Rie Tsundere be the worst girl in the series? How can you fuck up a character that badly? Taiga is obviously trying to emulate Louise but she fails so miserably.
>>
>>141705585
>Taiga suddenly decides to act nice for Christmas even though it doesn't make sense.
It's not sudden and it makes sense. Its strongly implied she tends to do that every year to make up somewhat for being a bad girl/daughter. She even points she didn't suddenly became a saint and does that to feel better about herself but its worth the try if she can benefit others out of it.

I liked that scene. Taiga acknowledges hersel as a less than noble person but wants to make something positive out of her self-centered actions anyway.
>>
>>141706105
That doesn't really make sense though because Taiga doesn't like her family very much and seems far too stubborn to do something like that or to even think in that way.
>>
>>141706295
She liked her family. What she didn't liked is it falling appart. She even gave yet another chance to her dad to fix thing for who knows how many times. And got genuinely happy (and genuinely crushed) abiut the idea.

Taiga made clear she wants to gather courage to be a better person but so far only manage to do it in a distant way by doing stuff like her christmas tradition of sending anonymus gifts to orphans and trying to be an overall nicer version of herself. Its her personal way of compensating a bit for her cowardice and rudeness.
>>
>>141704682
It isn't, Ryuji gave up and chose to be with Taiga.
>>
>>141706536
He didn't gave up. He confessed and got BTFO. Then moved on and got together with Taiga after a year.
>>
File: 82510.jpg (34 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
82510.jpg
34 KB, 225x350
>>141705522
pic unrelated
>>
File: 1245564076998.jpg (197 KB, 582x800) Image search: [Google]
1245564076998.jpg
197 KB, 582x800
>>141705522
Ami made the cover of Semen Magazine.
>>
For what reason did she go away for a year again?
>>
>>141705820
I give you that Louise is definetely sexier but Taiga is an improvement in pretty much everything else.

Also Ryuuji > Saito by far.
>>
File: toradorabanner.jpg (16 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
toradorabanner.jpg
16 KB, 300x100
>>141704682
The collective decided a long time ago.
>>
File: 1238116254928.jpg (427 KB, 842x1021) Image search: [Google]
1238116254928.jpg
427 KB, 842x1021
>>141706826
to reconcile with her mother
to learn and practice homemaking skills
to give the relationship a cooling off period
to prevent premarital pregnancy
>>
>>141706465
But why would she want to pay it back? She exhibits nothing but hatred and frustration toward her family.
>>
>>141705522
I still wonder sometimes what would've happened if he somehow went with Ami over Taiga or Minori. I tried reading a shitty fanfic of an Ami x Ryuuji pairing to quench my curiosity, but it was terrible so I stopped reading it after the first page and let the idea be.
>>
File: 1239143820010.jpg (111 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1239143820010.jpg
111 KB, 1000x800
>>
>>141706536
The only other girl that he could have possibly ended up with was Ami but that would not have worked out since she is basically a kid and Ryuuji needs a strong mother type woman to ease his anxiety.
>>
>>141707019
The official VN has Minori and Ami endings.
>>
>>141706295
Except that Taiga wanted to change from her typical demeanor. She didn't necessarily like her own reputation.
>>
File: 1264219057560.jpg (423 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
1264219057560.jpg
423 KB, 2000x1125
You will never have your own Tenori Taiga to cuddle and protect.
>>
>>141707005
>she exhibits nothing but hatred and frustration towards her family
yeah which is why she takes active steps to reconcile with both her parents
Way to pay attention
>>
>>141707136
She doesn't seem to blame herself though. It would make sense if she thought she was the problem but that doesn't appear to be the case. I find it especially difficult to believe that this was a yearly thing because she only recently took steps to reconcile with her family.
>>
>>141707105
i cri everytiem
>>
>>141707247
>only recently took steps to reconcile
she literally tried with her dad 3 times
And it's not all just about her parents, she's evidently had this persona throughout her school career of being this brutal hard ass girl, and she can't change it now even though she wants to for fear of losing face.
>>
>>141707376
But why would that change when Christmas rolls around? Do people suddenly not care about her being a hardass when it's Christmastime?
>>
>>141707500
It's a chance to change, even mildly. No one's going to question you if you're nice around christmas. Hell I know real people who are like this. Christmas to a lot of people is just a special time, I know I'm always just vaguely happier for practically the entire month of December.
It's just an opening for her to try and reconcile herself, no matter how small. That's why her niceness is often directed at people she doesn't directly know, like getting presents for orphaned kids, because orphans don't know she's typically a hardass.
>>
>>141707247
>She doesn't seem to blame herself though.
Her whole "Angel Taiga" gimmick is her acknowledging she's been unfair to people and give others shit for no other reason than her fear of being hurt which she feels guilty for. What changed this time compared to past years is that she also acknowledges how based Ryuuji is and that she admits she wants to make him happy which is why she makes her best and last effort during Christmas. Both for Ryuuji's sake and to thank/apologize to him for everything they went through together so far.

If anything. Taiga is way too hard on herself and doesn't notice not only her though girl persona only has made her more recognizable but that basically averyone around her consider her a good (if difficult) person already.
>>
>>141704734
Because her ass just goes crazy!
>>
It wasn't a love story, it was a light-hearted dramedy with a shoehorned romance ending.
>>
>>141707763
This. Toradora is the basically "forced depth and drama" the show.
>>
>>141707623
She's not just a little nicer, her whole demeanor changes.

>>141707738
But why would she have done that in earlier years? Are you saying she always realized she was being a pain and was self aware enough about that to act differently at one time of year but not self aware enough to just change her behavior at all times?
>>
>>141707880
I never said she was "just a little nicer"
I'm saying her actions, to her, don't make up for her acting like a bitch for the rest of the year. Again if you just don't understand that people can act different around christmas time you won't be able to understand that, but it does as a fact happen in real life.
>>
>>141707956
People might act a bit differently, but they don't change their entire outlook on life. You can't really suppress your personality that well.
>>
File: 1460081956574.jpg (880 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1460081956574.jpg
880 KB, 1440x900
I think Clannad is a better love story than Toradora.
>>
>>141707880
>Are you saying she always realized she was being a pain and was self aware enough about that to act differently at one time of year but not self aware enough to just change her behavior at all times?
Yes. For starters, the events that teared her home appart and the feelings around those were fresher. Also Taiga was younger while dealing with that shit. She was deeply hurt and was afraid and untrusty (he fact someone so eccentric and persistent like Minorin is her only close friend at school is a good indicator). Even if she was aware she couldn't help her feelings and fears from overreacting everytime she felt her frail self-confidence threatened which between Middle and High school is pretty easy to happen. She fell hopelessly in love for Kitamura after rejecting him basically because he was nice to her despite her rough front. It's a plot point Taiga is a total klutz.

The events of the series and sharing her fears and dreams with someone as suppirtive as Ryuuji sloy filled.her with resolve to make permanent changes in her life instead of just apologizing.
>>
>>141707996
>You can't really suppress your personality that well.
Neither can Taiga. Even Ryuuji called on how farfetched her "Angel Taiga" trasformation looked.

As the other anon said. Its a common ocurrence people want to try a more positive outlook once in a while. Specially during times of tge year that invite you to do so.
>>
>>141707996
She doesn't change her whole outlook though. She even expressly says she wishes she could be more like that during the rest of the year, but she's too afraid of people's reactions if she were to suddenly change her behavior around people she vaguely knew they would call her out for being way different.
She has the same outlook all year round, but can only change acceptably during christmas.
>>
>>141704682
>Best love story
>Not an asspull "Oh, MC-kun ______ me and now he's my hero" ending

You've got me there op
>>
>>141708258
It's far-fetched but she does actually do it.

>>141708191
That really doesn't explain why she did her angel act yearly. It only makes sense for when she does it in actual story.

>>141708272
Sorry, you're right, she just changes her entire behavior.
>>
>>141708445
Behavior=/outlook for the record

And it's far fetched but it's how she deals with trying to change her own behavior. I don't understand how you don't understand that she's had this dilemma pretty much her entire life.
>>
>>141708513
The dilemma makes sense, the ability to change her behavior on a dime like that doesn't.
>>
>>141708662
But like it does. It's literally who she wishes she could be, pretty much constantly, and is only allowed to come out during christmas time because it's socially acceptable to be like that during that period. She's just crippled by fear of judgment.
>>
>>141708445
>That really doesn't explain why she did her angel act yearly. It only makes sense for when she does it in actual story.
To make it more simple. Taiga wants to be friendlier but acted though to protect herself long enough for her to think people will hurt her if she let her guard down. Thus she only tries during christmas when is less probably she'll be judged and mostly to people that ignore her rough tiger persona.

But yiu probably had an awesome teenagehoid without any pressures or insecurities so its understandable you have a hard time getting Taiga's character arc.
>>
File: We_fucked_afterwards.jpg (246 KB, 896x697) Image search: [Google]
We_fucked_afterwards.jpg
246 KB, 896x697
>>141704682
Yes.
>>
>>141708738
>>141708727
So you're basically just saying that the personality we see for the entire show isn't her actual personality? Or does she just go overboard during Christmas?
>>
>>141709171
Yes and no.on both cases. It's not black and white. Taiga is a hurt child lashing out then feeling guilty about it. Her outbursts are genuine, she's pretty clumsy and have troubles deaking with her feelings. Her act during christmas is Taiga acting more like the person she wants to be. She's well meaning and much nicer naturally when she doesn't feel threatened/defied. Both are genuine facets of her personity but exaggerated and extrapolated by her damaged ego.
>>
File: best lovestory.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
best lovestory.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
Wrong
>>
>>141709528
they didn't even stick together in the end so what's the fucking point
>>
>>141704682
Because you're underage and your standards are piss poor.
>>
>>141706751
can we seriously just fucking kill her please
>>
>>141704682
that's not boku no pico
>>
>>141708012
Both is shit. In both anime worst girl won.

The Clannad VN is infinitely superior because you don't have to suffer the Roach Queen.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.