[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know nothing about Berserk but the new anime coming up has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: file.png (354 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
file.png
354 KB, 600x315
I know nothing about Berserk but the new anime coming up has be interested.
I saw that a series of movies just came out too. Are those related to the upcoming show?

According to wikipedia the movies are the second arc. Does that mean the show will start at the 3rd arc? is the first arc not important?

What the fuck is all this? Can I just start with this new show and be able to follow it?
>>
>Can I just start with this new show and be able to follow it?

Yes
>>
>>140909612
so should I just ignore those movies then?
>>
>>140909555
>What the fuck is all this? Can I just start with this new show and be able to follow it?
No. Read the manga from chapter 1. Don't bother with the movies unless you're curious after you've read the manga.
>>
the first arc sucks so it doesn't matter. just watch the movies and if the show ends up being good watch that
>>
>>140909741
>the first arc sucks so it doesn't matter.
Except it does matter, because it changes the whole dynamic of the golden age arc and the eclipse. Without it the eclipse comes out of nowhere, but because of the black swordsman arc the eclipse is a foregone conclusion. Without the first arc, golden age is just a song of ice and fire.
>>
>>140910035
if it actually mattered the 1997 anime would have adapted it. It's fucking garbage
>>
Read the manga, all the Berserk movies and even the old anime sucks, the animation for all the movies is horrible and the story is a mess.

Looking at the trailer for the new anime it looks to be CGI mess like the movies and apparently the new anime is made by the same company that made the movies, so into the trash it goes.
>>
>>140909555
Watch the old anime, since it's a legitimate work of art in it's own right, and then read the manga, since it would spoil the anime if you read it first. Ignore the films and new anime.
>>
Ignore every animated for Berserk and just read the manga.
>>
>>140910078
>if it actually mattered the 1997 anime would have adapted it.
You're aware that the 1997 anime only adapted about 1/3 of the manga that's out now, right? When it was made there wasn't much past the Golden Age arc to adapt, so they weren't going past the eclipse. Besides, it still adapted it, albeit briefly. Post-eclipse Guts is there, so the dynamic is still kind of there (though obviously not as much as in the manga).
>>
What's the best release of the manga? That isn't edited or localized, etc.
>>
>>140910078
Yeah because the '97 anime adapted everything that was important and is 100% canon and Griffith is a king an shiet
>>
I'm afraid they'll fuck the new anime up. It doesn't look like they will, after all we've seen most manga characters showing up and they got Hirasawa on board so it can't be too shitty, right?

And yet I know it will be censored to all fuck and won't have any memorable moments since CG kills the atmosphere. What positive things can they do with it, slap Susumu's song into the OP?
>>
>>140910600
>it will be censored to all fuck
I'll keep my hopes up, but I'm probably going to end up not watching it while it's airing and wait for the BDs. Censoring a show that already has source material makes me not give a single fuck about it, since I could just read the manga instead.
>>
>>140909638
>I just ignore those movies then?
movies ----> New TV series
>>
File: 1406293870745.jpg (61 KB, 614x461) Image search: [Google]
1406293870745.jpg
61 KB, 614x461
Get the fuck out
>>
>>140910600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weqvp2inoHo
>>
>>140910754
I honestly can't tell who's supposed to be Serp and who Farnese
>>
>>140909555
If you dont wanna read the mango watch the movies they will cover most of the important stuff. This series continues after the movies which leads to the black swords man arc. Reason i can tell guts fights the spoopy army in that arc and they show it in the trailer. Technically the second arc is golden age but the anime brings that arc first instead of blackswords man arc because there was enough content for the series in that arc where as in the manga starting black swoards man arc was better narrative because it shows you a scarred guts and you wonder why he is like it also shows griffth who you know bum fuck nothing about than the golden age tells you what history these two had. Start with the movies than watch the series coming out this july.
>>
>>140909555
watch the original show and maybe the trilogy if you want to get up to speed really quick. they're the flashback of the show. black swordsman arc is what is currently happening in story.
the manga is really good though, it has lots more information than either the show or the movies, plus it has the pre-flashback stuff, which is pretty fun to read.
>>
>>140910832
Serpico has his eyes closed, of course.
>>
>>140911082
Yeah but why does "he" have a hairband
>>
>>140911066
What sucks about the original show is that they cut puck and skull king out of the story they are not in it at all.
>>
>>140911145
I think that's just the outline of his head.
>>
>>140909555
The movies ommit plenty of stuff, so I'd recommend to read the manga anyway. But basically the anime is going to cover "Guts as Black Swordsman" according to their page I believe. And what that and the PV would suggest is that it will cover Black Sworsman Arc and Lost Children Arc. Perhaps it might do some of Conviction Arc, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about that.

But basically:
Black Swordsman Arc is first in the manga, then goes Golen Age (the one movies covered) and then Lost Children.
Although chronologically it is:
First Golden Age, then Black Swordsman, and then Lost Children.

So theoritically you should be able to follow it after just watching the movies, but as I said, they ommit quite a few things, as well as some character developement, so it's best to read the manga, really.
>>
File: berserk leaked ending.jpg (317 KB, 1440x1418) Image search: [Google]
berserk leaked ending.jpg
317 KB, 1440x1418
Finally an opportunity to post this
>>
>>140911149
there was literally one (1) episode with the black swordsman, it wouldn't have made much of an impact for puck to be in it.
i am kinda annoyed that skull knight wasn't in it though, but the movie more than makes up for it by making his appearance badass as fuck.

also
>implying you're not baiting
>>
>>140909555
Watch the anime -> Watch the eclipse part of the third movie -> read the manga from the start

Berserk has a great OST.
>>
>>140911149
Puck isn't in any of the parts they adapted from the manga though, so why would he be in the anime?
And they did cut Skull Knight, but they clearly never meant to continue after the eclipse, so it worked pretty well. They cut Wyald too, and that way we had less foreshadowing about what's going to happen. I think the original anime did a great job.
>>
>>140911356
this is what i did. it worked out well for me.
i'm gonna be disappointed as fuck with the CG though.
>>
File: 1448381617004.jpg (82 KB, 379x226) Image search: [Google]
1448381617004.jpg
82 KB, 379x226
>>140911447
I just want to see the lost children animated.
>>
why even bother with the show
story seemed really incomplete and left many loose ends
also feels like it just up and ends right when things would get good, that and the first episode being the last arc was strange
only redeeming thing was the ost desu
>>
>>140910299
>You're aware that the 1997 anime only adapted about 1/3 of the manga that's out now, right?
And nothing of value was lost.

EVERYTHING after the Eclipse is utter shit. Absolutely everything.
>>
>>140910383
The ones published by Dark Horse
>>
File: Fento 5.jpg (182 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Fento 5.jpg
182 KB, 1200x900
>>140911560
It's a good place to start if you're not that into manga. Also the soundtrack and some of the visuals are excellent, wish i had the picture.
>>
File: domy.jpg (148 KB, 503x751) Image search: [Google]
domy.jpg
148 KB, 503x751
Read the manga first because it is the best of all the material. Then check out the old berserk anime and then the new berserk movies if you are interested. You can always drop the anime versions, but make sure to at least attempt the manga. The movies have terrible CG and cut a lot of stuff out. The older anime is better in my opinion but it still cuts things out and leaves you with a "read the manga" type ending anyways.
>>
To me the first arc kind of ruins the surprise. When I first watched I forgot about all the supernatural stuff in episode 1 and then was shocked by the end. Manga is 100x better though.
>>
File: 1461533032908.jpg (84 KB, 720x707) Image search: [Google]
1461533032908.jpg
84 KB, 720x707
>>140909741
>skipping the first arc
>>
>>140911755
If you're "not that into manga" enough that one of the most entry-level series is beyond you, you should probably just kill yourself and make /a/ a better place.
>>
>want to start buying the manga
>volume 3 out of stock everywhere in the UK

can I order from german amazon or what? I want it all
>>
>>140909555
Movies -> New series
I don't know if they'll adapt the first arc on the new one so at least read Chapter 1-11 of the manga.
>>
>>140912011
I never said i wasn't you stupid motherfucker. Can't you read, stupid?

Many of my friends didn't want to read the manga so i suggested the anime first to get them hooked, maybe OP's the same.
>>
>>140912316
>I never said i wasn't you stupid motherfucker. Can't you read, stupid?
I never implied you did, faggot. I was using the general "you," just like you did in the post I quoted.
>>
>>140910035
100 percent agreed, I'll never understand people who say to skip straight to Guts' birth so that you can get "surprised". That's retarded and what makes the golden age so powerful is you know everything is going to shit and the built up anticipation amplifies this x100, you're just waiting for it to fall into pieces. It being a "twist" is retarded and would make Berserk GoT tier.
>>
File: Berserk_v12_p070.jpg (1 MB, 1239x1800) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v12_p070.jpg
1 MB, 1239x1800
>>140912594
To be honest it wasn't much of a "twist" in the manga, even if you did skip the first arc. Zodd literally forsees it very early in the story, then we get Skull Knight once again warning Guts, we've got Griffith having visions from the Godhand while in the prison, then we have apostles killing part of the band, where only Rickert survives and after that we've got Wyald, talking about the godhand, and how Griffith's supposed to become one of them through the behelit.
It hardly came unexpected there, which is why I think the anime did a great job with making it a twist. There you only had that vague Zodd foreshadowing in like what, 5th episode? Easily forgotten with all those schemes, battles and assasinations in the mean time.
>>
>>140912878
well you know something is gonna happen yeah, but I don't think you realize what Griffith's role plays into this. With the first three volumes you know Griffith did something to really earn Guts' ire, I have to reread the manga though, been a while.

There were some great moments foreshadowing the downfall though. You're right. The best one being when Zodd throws Guts his sword in battle, and says that this can only last so long. You know things are going to go to shit, just not sure whether Griffith will be the cause of it.
>>
>>140911429
>>140911233
They make brief references to puck in the golden age arc. One of them being jeadu having fairy dust from a fairy when he was on his travels. This was right before the battle of doldrey. But it still has no significance. Its just that for OP were trying to tell him the best way to watch because he'll be like who the fuck is skull
King in the new anime.
>>
>>140912316
>my friends

>>>/facebook/
>>>/r/anime
>>>/gaia/
>>
File: Berserk_v11_p201.png (448 KB, 1226x1800) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v11_p201.png
448 KB, 1226x1800
>>140913479
>>
That feel when Berserk is going to end with Guts finally getting his revenge then the princess from the first part of Berserk finally kills Guts like she said that she would
>>
>>140909555
>I know nothing about Berserk

wew lad
>>
>>140913632
Id be ok with this ending. As long as Guts gets his revenge. I've been with this franchise too long to not get that satisfaction.
>>
is this accurate?
http://skullknight.net/bsom/misc_files/timeline.html
>>
>>140913632
I bet miura forgot she even existed m8
>>
>>140909741
The first arc is the best arc you tasteless twat, and the movies are ass compared to the atmosphere of the original series.

Original series-->Manga
or
Manga the whole way through
>>
>>140913632
It ends with guts accepting 3 silver coins from a big burly black guy who wants to spend the night with guts son. Guts does it cause he cannot bond with his son with anything and so he is going to give him the same upbringing as him so they can finally bond.
>>
Why do people hate the first arc so much? It's not the best part of Berserk but it's a farcry from the worst, and it gives ample characterization to Guts and foreshadows the eclipse.
>>
File: 1446270698209.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2627) Image search: [Google]
1446270698209.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2627
>>140909638
Ignore it all, just read the manga, then watch the new anime airing this summer.
>>
>>140909555
Unless you hate reading manga read the manga.

I'm only watching the new anime because Miura is playing Idolm@ster again.
>>
>>140914213
Personally i look at it as wow if i was day one reader i would like to know what happened to guts how his arm and eye got like that and what and who is griffith than the massive antticipation and back story from the golden age arc made it even better.
>>
File: 1452132963461.png (67 KB, 265x335) Image search: [Google]
1452132963461.png
67 KB, 265x335
>>140914413
>99 enemy soldiers find them
>>
>>140914516
yep, I guess maybe the art style in the early early volumes are a bit awkward. And Guts is a bit too much of an edgy asshole there (Lost Children arc had the perfect characterization for "black swordsman" guts) , but I didn't care cause I was interested in like you said about his past.

>>140914498
this, unless you're an illiterate faggot who's allergic to manga read the damn series. It's so much better than either anime or the movies. The movies are like a nice bonus to watch if you're a fan of the manga, but are in no way a substitute for the manga. This isn't like say Monster or Death Note.
>>
how can you skip the anime with that amazing soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1o4O2SfQ5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLg_wp0IXoI
>>
File: themissingpanel.jpg (283 KB, 728x1147) Image search: [Google]
themissingpanel.jpg
283 KB, 728x1147
>>140909555
This is really all you need to know.
>>
>>140914777
Read the manga while listening to the soundtrack
>>
Is it rape if Casca liked it?
>>
>>140914085
>http://skullknight.net/bsom/misc_files/timeline.html
Skimming through it, seems pretty accurate, yeah. Although it ends rather abruptly.
>>
File: image.png (44 KB, 265x200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
44 KB, 265x200
>mfw new anime gets like 26 episodes only
When will we get mozgus
>>
Why is it so hard to find a consistent dark horse version of the manga online?
>>
>>140915697
Are those the best scabs or something? I just read it on quickmanga.com idk if they are good scans or not. Educate me senpai
>>
>>140915798
dark horse has the best translation and overall consistent quality. You're probably reading fan-translations that don't do the characters justice.
>>
>>140915161
Nope
>>
>>140915955
are those the scabs they use on the physical mangas for berserk?
>>
>>140916111
yes
>>
>>140916166
Oh ok. I'll probably need to start buying them then
>>
File: Berserk_v20_p176.png (455 KB, 1224x1800) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v20_p176.png
455 KB, 1224x1800
>>140915617
>26 episodes
Is this confirmed? That's cool, I thought it would just be 12.

>>140915697
I just downloaded the whole thing in Dark Horse version and high quality. It's really worth it. It weighs a lot though. In fact, I can't even post the spread with Skull Knight and Femto on top of Shiva, because it's over the limit here.
>>
>>140911149
All changes in the original anime were made by Miura though.
>>
>>140916538
when does this happen?
I don't remember.
>>
>>140910754
This is beautiful. Did you make this?
>>
>>140915697
wow that was hard

bakabt.me/torrent/162057/berserk-scans
>>
>>140910139
Tell me what, Tell me what, Tell me what you want
I don't know why, don't know why, don't know why you afraid
Tell me what, Tell me what, Tell me what you say
I don't know why, don't know why, Too late, it's too late
>>
>>140920715

those are the refugee camps
>>
I hate to be that guy but really, just read the manga. If you want to start with anime then watch the old anime as that's pretty good. It's what got me into the manga and now it's bar none my favorite.
To answer your question though, yes you can start with the new one. It's following up to the "Golden Age" stuff which is the start of the whole story.
>>
>>140914213
People hate the Golden Age arc? Why?
>>
>>140910754
I want one so fucking badly. Looks like I'm buying crayons and safety scissors tomorrow.
>>
>>140922218
golden age is the second arc

fucking secondaries
>>
>>140909555
Anyone think Guts looks a bit too old there or is it just me?
>>
>>140913566
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>140922398
Fine.

People hate the Count and Vagras? Why?
>>
>>140922579

tumblrcunts that only recently got into the series because 'just like muh dark souls' hate the classic edginess and rape now and say it doesn't fit with shiny happy nu-berserk
>>
>>140923149
how on earth can anyone criticize that when there's more rape in the damn golden age-eclipse? Not to mention the troll rape later on
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.