[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was that one popular show that you postponed watching for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
File: 1460315854928.jpg (498 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1460315854928.jpg
498 KB, 1280x800
What was that one popular show that you postponed watching for the longest time? And if you did end up finally watching it long after the hype died, what was your reaction?

For me it was Haruhi, had this thing backlogged for years until I finally decided to give it a go. It was good but I was honestly left wondering what all the fuzz was about.
>>
I still haven't watched Cowboy Bepop.
>>
Space Runaway Ideon
Dropped after 4 or so episodes.
I don't know exactly when I dropped it because I wasn't really paying attention to it anymore at the end.
>>
Everyone's always raving about Full Metal Panic but I've yet to pick that up.
>>
>>140894775
Haruhi was a bigger deal back in 2006
>>
>>140894775
So, did you watch in broadcast order or chronological?
>>
>>140894930
Chronological, by the time I actually started watching it I totally forgot about the whole alternative watching orders thing so I just watched it in the order the files were on.
>>
I still haven't watched Code Geass.
>>
Evangelion. And to prove I'm not an pleb. I got through LOGH, Ashita no Joe, Gankutsuou, Rose of Versailles, Hyouge Mono, Galaxy Express 999, Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Gintama, Mononoke, Kaiba, Kaiji, Akagi, GTO, Natsume Yuujinchou, Aria, Planetes, Space Brothers, Spaceship Yamato, Nana, GitS: SAC, One Outs,Rurouni Kenshin, Shinsekai Yori, Nodame Cantabile, Beck, Welcome to the NHK and Kino's Journey before I watched it.
>>
>>140894930
Silly anon, chronological is the broadcast order.
>>
>>140894988
Honestly that's one show I believe will dissapoint you at this point.

>>140894832
This one is a show I believe will actually surprise you.
>>
>>140895320
>Honestly that's one show I believe will dissapoint you at this point.
I know someone who just watched it recently and liked it.
>>
>>140894775
Haruhi was revolutionary due to bringing digital animation out of the shading-less slideshow hellhole that had plagued the early 00s, but now that the rest of the industry has moved past that phase since long ago, a first-time watcher won't really see what the big deal is anymore.
>>
>>140895518
pretty sure that's not why Haruhi was revolutionary
>>
I watched Lucky Star a few months ago.

Eh.
>>
>>140895518
Haruhi is from 2006 so I'm pretty sure shows weren't on average as terrible looking as they were a few years before that. Doesn't really look that revolutionary to me comparing to other shows of the time, sure it's your usual KyoAni high production values but still.
>>
>>140894775
I still haven't watched Haruhi.
>>
I only watched Trigun within in the last year. I didn't grow up in the US, so no Toonami for me. We got most of that on YTV here, but not that in particular. I had tried to watch it a few years prior but put it on the backlog after only 2 episodes or so. Just wasn't feeling it. But once I started it again, I really enjoyed it.

I've also to this day only seen one episode of Jojo. I liked it enough, but can't bring myself to watch it over other things. I had a bit of a backlash form all the hype, I think.
>>
File: 1461797212551.gif (2 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1461797212551.gif
2 MB, 500x333
>>140894775
Evangelion. I liked it but not as much as I thought I would.
>>
>>140895784
Same for me, but I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would.
>>
>>140895564
It was. The idea of doing a properly choreographed dancing animation in digital animation was unthinkable before then, hence why Hare Hare Yukai became so big. KyoAni were able to avoid the pitfalls of lazy paintbucket coloring that so many others fell into, and created a completely fresh style that finally brought out the strengths of digital animation. While not everyone was an animation savvy, it was clear at first glance to anyone that Haruhi was something completely fresh.
>>
>>140895784
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>140894775
Madoka. And it was the fact that it was still being hyped after a couple of years that decided me to give it a go.

Gave it a couple of tries, never got past the 2/3 mark.

Concluded that I can't abide SHAFT's visual style, and that the story was hack writing based around plot twists -- and if you've heard the twists, there's nothing left.
>>
Code Geass. The character designs were just unappealing at first. But I regret not watching it sooner.
>>
>>140895864
Same here i managed to finish it though and I thought it was pretty crap.
>>
>>140895633
I feel Lucky Star was a show very much of it's time. Not that everyone in 07 loved it (in fact I loved the LS vs Gurren Lagann feuds of the time) but it really was specifically about otaku culture at the time. It's like trying to watch old Saturday Night Live skits about (then current) political events, sometimes it really doesn't hold up.
>>
>>140894775
I've had Haruhi backlogged for almost 10 years, and I'm pretty sure I will never watch it.

I watched Nichijou this year, it was amazing and since the manga is finally over I will not have to wait longer for the second season.
>>
>>140894775
Well, duh, mate, Haruhi is like popular because she's like totally revolutionary, mate, y'see. All mate, Haruhi, Haruhi's like the biggest - things. Ever. Haruhi's like Haruhi; mate, see. Like. You don't know how it is before you would see how.
>>
>>140895213
Good tastes
>>
I watched Macross Frontier recently, because i enjoy Delta a lot. I liked it, but the way they use music now is way better, also i didn't like the songs so much. Also the outfits they put on Sheryl were kinda weird.
>>
>>140896313
Also, Haruhi, you don't think it would be Haruhi like you do think before you do, and then, pamf, Haruhi is do. It's magic.
>>
I actually think that the 90's and early-00's "essential" shows (NGE, Cowboy Bebop, GITS, etc.) have held up better than the late 00's and early 10's "essential" shows (Haruhi, Code Geass, Madoka, etc.). I think most of the 20-something generation grew up with those old essential shows but then stopped watching anime until their teens and then got reinserted into the medium with those newer essentials. I imagine that's the reason some of those shows get as much hype as they do.
>>
File: 1461691608754.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461691608754.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
>>140894775
Very subtle recommendation thread, OP.

Marimite
Super Gals!
Slayers
Aa! Megami-samá
Hachimitsu to clover
Milk-chan
Maid-sama
Versailess no Bara

Some I just found on my own, but the majority were just people using an image macro, it looking interesting, doing some research and watching its show.

They're all great, I'm glad I watched them. I don't care for not having discussed them, but I do regret waiting so long to watch them.
>>
>>140896542
I wouldn't call some of those "super popular" though. And also, how can you discuss shows without it being in some form a rec thread?
>>
>>140894904
The original series is nothing special, but Fumoffu! (the series KyoAni did) is genuinely hilarious.
>>
I watched Haruhi a few years ago (around when Disappearance came out), and I didn't get why it was so popular or kept waiting for it to get good only to end up disappointed.
Not sure if it aged badly or just wasn't for me.

I ended up loving Disappearance itself though.
>>
>>140896768
You can't, anything that isn't a general or some meme shit is a rec thread these days.

And to answer the OP, I postponed Code Geass until 2012 or 2013.
>>
>>140895320
>Honestly that's one show I believe will dissapoint you at this point.
Code Geass is a show I found a lot more enjoyable on my second watch (which was just a couple of years ago), because I knew what to expect but had forgotten most of the plot details.
If you go into it expecting mostly a campy show, it's very enjoyable imo.
Basically, temper your expectations and you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
I still haven't watched Lucky Star, Evangelion, or Code Geass,
>>
>>140897333
You should at least watch Eva really, jokes aside it's probably the most influential show in the past 20-30 years easily.
>>
File: 1461791896345.jpg (57 KB, 582x741) Image search: [Google]
1461791896345.jpg
57 KB, 582x741
I have never seen FMA Brotherhood, and I don't plan on watching it until I finish the original which I am also struggling to get started.
>>
File: lucky star (7).jpg (396 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
lucky star (7).jpg
396 KB, 1680x1050
>>140897333
I feel like CG could be kinda annoying now, the other two are still good. Well Lucky Star might not be for everyone, but it's fun.
>>
>>140896768
The trick nowadays is to focus a thread on either only one show, or talk about some broad topic prevalent in many anime shows (why does anime have such and such elements going on, what's the deal with character archetypes, what is the state of the industry heading towards to) instead of talking about which shows are popular, bad, mediocre, have-this-and-that-element and so on.
>>
>>140898302
Why should there be a "trick" to making threads about something just because some people get buttblasted about rec threads that aren't even actually rec threads?
>>
Gurren Lagann, ended up hating it though. Might have liked it a lot more back when I self-inserted into everything.
>>
>>140896253
>and since the manga is finally over I will not have to wait longer for the second season.

LOL
O
L
>>
>>140897612
I'm sort of in the same boat, but the original was my first 'real' anime and it holds a place in my heart; I'm just not really interested in Brotherhood or the manga. I like the homunculi in the original anime better, anyway.
>>
File: 1264436064766.jpg (57 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1264436064766.jpg
57 KB, 750x600
>>140899496
I thought it was the self-insert crowd that hated Gurren Lagann because Simon ends up a hobo while Rossiu is President of the goddamned Universe.
>>
I didn´t finish Trigun nor Rurouni Kenshin. I just don´t like pacifical MC
>>
>>140895784
You were too old most likely. Its really made for that "I'm going through a hard time in life" teenager. Not a knock, just a fact.
>>
>>140899760
Not that guy, but I didn't encounter Eva until I was in my forties. And it still re-opened old wounds from my teenage years.
>>
TTGL and Death Note after watching over 200 titles.
Both were amazing, epsecially TTGL
>>
File: welcome_to_the_nhk.png (629 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
welcome_to_the_nhk.png
629 KB, 500x706
>>140894775
just finished it yesterday night. It was good but that ending just felt really awful I wasn't expecting anything flashy and I think I understood the message that in real life everything doesn't wrap up nicely but when he whips out the phone and attempts to commit suicide to his delusions I just got sickened by it. At first I thought he was just lightening up the mood with her by messing with her but then he goes full fucking retard.
>>
>>140900414
I haven't read the LN myself but apparently in that he tries to kill himself because he's still depressed and genuinely wanted to die rather than that bizarre half-baked idea that dying would somehow help Misaki.
>>
File: haruhi va 2015.jpg (111 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
haruhi va 2015.jpg
111 KB, 1024x768
radio haruhi 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCqdrlsK1Gc
>>
File: swimming-certificates-5.jpg (128 KB, 1040x720) Image search: [Google]
swimming-certificates-5.jpg
128 KB, 1040x720
>>140894775
Death Note. I'd heard for years about the dumb death of L and I fucking loved every minute of it.
>>
>>140903510
Oh didn't realize it was anime original ending. Would explain it because it made no fucking sense after saving her from killing herself then deciding to kill himself.
>>
>>140894775

Blood+

I saw all the Haji and Saya content, and so I barely watched a single episode.
>>
File: 1434850979387.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1434850979387.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>140903969

Forgot video.

Needless to say...yowza.
>>
>>140904192
Bllod + was that clamp trying to be edgy?
>>
>>140904362

That was xxxholic. The Blood series has always been edgy.
>>
>>140894775
>What was that one popular show that you postponed watching for the longest time?
All of them
>>
>>140896253
Fresh wound, you son of a bitch.
>>
Just finished Madoka. Enjoyed it to say the least.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.