[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If anime is Japanese then why are the characters white?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
If anime is Japanese then why are the characters white?
>>
They're not.
They're abstract enough that in the absence of strict identifying markers your brain automatically associates them with a 'default'; for westerners that's white, for the intended audience that's Japanese. It's the same as drawing a smiley face like the Wal-Mart one and asking what 'race' they are. When you get foreign characters in anime there are very clear visual identifiers that cue you in to their identity, and the difference becomes more apparent.
>>
But I don't see any blond hair, blue eyes and jew nose.
>>
The only place in the world where japanese aren't white is in /pol/, famiglia.
>>
>>140820224
You kidding?
They're the only non-germanic peoples /pol/ would consider white. Honorary Aryans and all that.
>>
Because whites are beautiful
>>
>>140820067
>>140819793
someone post the nips drawing anime profiles more like actual nips and comparing them to white characters.

even japanese people interviewed said anime characters look more like foreigners.
>>
>>140820835
You mean the extremely cherry-picked examples that get reposted over and over and over again? They're pretty clearly bogus even without going in-depth into them.
Heck, just look at OPs pic. Flat face, slanted eyes, very clearly Japanese.
>>
File: 1411560417716.jpg (188 KB, 597x1067) Image search: [Google]
1411560417716.jpg
188 KB, 597x1067
>>140820835
Here.
>>
>>140820926
>red hair
>light big eyes
>white skin

>clearly japanese
>>
>>140820977
no, thats not it. also both the 3DPD have large noses.
>>
>>140820987
Those hair and eye colors aren't natural anywhere in the world. Art forms take liberties with color, especially anime, it's not an indicator of race at all. Eye size is almost always exaggerated in all animation, regardless of origin, because larger eyes can make up for lack of detail in expressing emotion. Skin color is perfectly natural for Japanese, believe it or not East Asian skin tones are almost identical to European ones, especially up north. The structure and shape of face and body are far more relevant in determining race.
>>
>>140821182
>The structure and shape of face and body are far more relevant in determining race.

and this is why most anime looks 'white' except outliers like ping pong or paranoia agent.
>>
>>140821478
Except they don't. They're pretty clearly either 'Asian' or 'Neutral Human', which defaults in the target audience's minds to 'Japanese'. Only your cultural bias tells you otherwise.
>>
>>140821607
>Only your cultural bias tells you otherwise.

You realize not everyone on 4chan lives in a white-dominated country, or is white, right? I certainly dont see anime characters as being black or latino.
>>
>>140821655
Cause skin color is one of the most common indicators of race. But like I said, (north) East Asian skin tone is pretty much the same as European skin tone. And with European dominance over most of the world the past few centuries, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone outside of East Asia defaults those tones to White European without other identifying markers, like the epicanthic fold.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.