[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that the plot is just a tool to put characters into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1460611796933.jpg (523 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1460611796933.jpg
523 KB, 850x850
Reminder that the plot is just a tool to put characters into to use as a platform on which to portray their emotions, development, fights, art, and philosophy. In reality, the chain of events that make up a plot in anime are dull.
>>
File: yurik.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yurik.png
1 MB, 1280x720
I agree in theory, the plot can be any random stupid thing as long as you completely succeed with the characters/art/emotions.
But in practice it's still nice to have a plot that is nice and interesting on its own.
>>
>>140770974
>No no, THESE set of elements are the important ones in anime!
Kill yourself.
>>
>>140770974
>implying most of anime characters aren't dull as well
>>
>>140771270
I agree with this.
>>
>>140771270
A plot is only interesting because of ht implications behind it and the characters involved in it though. A war between two nations is an interesting story when it is a reflection on society and human nature, and when the characters involved are interesting. This is why stories that try to be only about the plot become very hard to read after a while. Lots of war fiction which has no underlying message or interesting characters tends to do this.
>>
>>140771387
you must be watching shitty anime. I'm talking about anime which is better, not run-of-the-mill seasonal shit
>>140771323
>an opinion about anime?
>ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
0/10 terrible shitpost
>>
>>140771455
I still feel like the plot in itself is a part of the enjoyment. (Not the main or only part, that's for sure, but still a part.)
We wouldn't bother with so many genre or ideas if all we needed was characters and emotions.
We need murder mysteries/dystopian sci-fi/romance/fantasy/drama/comedies/sports/slice of life/time travel/action, and everyone is going to have an inclination towards certain types of plot compared to others.

Of course each type can be well executed or badly executed, but that's another story.
>>
>>140770974
Agree. I could never understand why people said Zankyou no Terror was bad because the "plot sucks". The plot wasn't the point, it was about the meditations and reflections on societal alienation and youth in post-WWII Japan. Paralleling Oedipus mythology along the way.
>>
>>140770974
you have shit taste
>>
>>140770974
It's the opposite. Conflict is the root of dramatic genre, plot is a tool to guide characters to more and more vivid conflict, and emotions and philosophy grow from the conflict.
>>
>>140771932
i'm not saying that plot is completely unimportant, but that it is subservient to the quality of the characters, if there were no interesting characters, it would merely be an interesting concept, nothing more than the way we fantasize about being in those situations. Anyone can invent in interesting concept, only a good writer can use it to support the characters.
>>
>>140771455
>This is why stories that try to be only about the plot become very hard to read after a while.
Nolan films
>>
>>140772416
I think that what you are missing here is that when you write, the emotions and philosophy do not happen because of the circumstances, the circumstances are written to give rise to the emotions and philosophy which the writer wants to portray. In a well written story, anyway.
>>140772348
nah, you do. plotfagging is only slightly above entry-tier normalfagging.
>>
>>140772536
nolan also uses the plot as a tool to show how characters would react, and to explore how they would react.
>>
>>140771323
This.
>>
that is a really narrow way to dictate what story telling should and shouldn't be. I think you can have good stories with a strong plot and less interesting characters. Not every story needs to have characters as their priority.
>>
>>140772542
>In a well written story, anyway.
SO what you really mean is "what you're missing is that my opinions > your opinions."
>>
>>140772677
well, yes, i suppose it is an opinion, and i do believe it is superior to the contrary opinion, but that's because it is something i have thought about for a long time, so while i have no physical factual proof, i have gone through enough logical arguments with my own opinion and reviewed it enough times to trust it to be correct. I'm mean, if you want to get relativistic, we could bring up the point that nothing matters in the first place, but that's not what i mean to point out.
>>
>>140772790
>I'm mean
holy shit, meant to say "I mean"
now i just sound retarded and edgy
>>
>>140770974
Bottom left?
>>
Yeah, after decades of this, I'm just here for the rare comedy anime that's actually funny, and the errant thread about an older series that I liked.
>>
>>140770974
Bottom left is YYK?
>>
>>140772589
What I meant was that he cares only for the plot. His characters are puppets and nothing else. That's why his films are so mechanical.
>>
>>140770974
Yes, but it's hard to showcase characters with the depth of actual human beings in the brief timespan of your average anime.
>>
File: 5g0sI.gif (2 MB, 372x262) Image search: [Google]
5g0sI.gif
2 MB, 372x262
>>140770974
this picture made me remember that well never get a season 3 after endless 8

even another movie would be ok but it wont happen.
>>
>>140775000
>after endless 8
Endless Eight is not why they won't make S3. S2 still sold extremely well despite E8. This is the 15,532nd time we've had this conversation.
>>
>>140770974
What's the difference between plot and story?
>>
File: 1384987141238.png (84 KB, 250x256) Image search: [Google]
1384987141238.png
84 KB, 250x256
>>140770974
Are you that same fag from that other thread confessions i think who said mecha anime were only for kids and autists or some shit?
>>
>>140771989
>The plot wasn't the point, it was about the meditations and reflections on societal alienation and youth in post-WWII Japan
You think they would be able to understand this? They're too stupid to realize it unless it was hit up on their head like a bat.
>>
>>140774439
How do you do only do plot? That sounds kind of impressive.
>>
>>140771567
>I'm talking about anime which is better, not run-of-the-mill seasonal shit
>shitting on seasonal anime
Get out old man
>>
Reminder that anime is just a tool to trigger wish fullfilment emotions. It's mental masturbation.
>>
>>140776415
If in Inception he had more care for the characters, the film would reach other levels. But as they are all just tools and devices, the film is no more than a puzzle, once you understand, loses its charm. Nolan is more an engineer than a filmmaker.
>>
It's balance that make masterpieces, not writing nor visual or audio.
It's just how things work together.
This could be misleading for a high powerevel user, because to enjoy even a bit of a shit show you will focus on what's promising or what you like.
Low powerlevel instead are more easily "tricked" into see the "whole picture".
Now you have an explanation for nostalgia goggles and your aware that escaspist of escapism exist.
Btw ur waifu is shit.
>>
File: 1441723639456.gif (259 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1441723639456.gif
259 KB, 500x354
>plotfags
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.