[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you consider anime from the 80s/90s to be better, worse, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: 483284.jpg (374 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
483284.jpg
374 KB, 1920x1080
Do you consider anime from the 80s/90s to be better, worse, or over all the same quality compared to digitally drawn anime of the 2000s to present.
>>
I wish people like you would just go away and circlejerk somewhere else.
>>
>>140764688
I've heard of this place called "Reddit"

Perhaps OP would fit in better there
>>
I don't really give a shit how anime is produced honestly. I even liked Sidonia despite the extreme anti-CGI circlejerk /a/ had.
>>
reminder that anime would be dead without akira because it was so bad
>>
New is objectively better and if you disagree, you can fuck off to reddit and find the appropriate hugbox for you
>>
The girls are cuter now, so modern is best.
>>
>>140765450
oh and 90's it happened again, this time EVA saved anime

it's happening yet again but this time for good
>>
>>140764568
>digitally drawn
You don't even know what changed
>>
>>140765585

Looks like someone's upset the truth penetrated his hugbox.

Face it, modern anime is objectively shit.
>>
>>140765450
What? Anime wasn't really bad its just that Akira introduced a lot of westerners to anime because it was something nobody in the west had ever seen before.
>>
File: 1442356821914.png (144 KB, 502x794) Image search: [Google]
1442356821914.png
144 KB, 502x794
>>140765728
>>
File: 1427226164077.jpg (167 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1427226164077.jpg
167 KB, 960x720
There have always been good anime and there have always been shit anime. Today oversaturation of the market means there are more shit anime, but still plenty of good anime.

tri tone shading was the only thing objectively better about older anime
>>
They are really different. Newer anime can look more epic, but older anime is more pleasant to look at. When I was watching Symphogear I was constantly thinking about how amazing people from the 90s would think it'd be, it would be considered a timeless classic. It really is awesome, older anime couldn't do cheap animation that cool.

If we are talking about quality in general, I don't really know, I haven't watched that many old anime to make proper comparisons.
>>
>>140765728
Anime was never good
>>
I don't watch anything made before 2005.
>>
>>140766357
Nice gross generalization m8. You're missing over half of the best anime of all time, good for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (337 KB, 860x912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337 KB, 860x912
80s was better. 90s was the beginning of the cancer.
>>
>>140767203
>Death and Rebirth over EoE
>Lain, Gunbuster, and Zeta Gundam 4 or under
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1460735287630.jpg (360 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1460735287630.jpg
360 KB, 1024x768
I like the animation/drawing style from around 2006. It's a mixture of both the old style and new style.
>>
>>140764568

Less light novels, less shit in general, lot more imagination in genres and setting rather than just modern Japanese high schools or generic fantasy setting full of cute girls and princesses #14041
>>
>>140764688

Yeah this site is for cirlejerking over Fate and Monogatari only. Stop daring to talk about other anime here.
>>
>>140766672

At least he picked pretty much the defacto dividing year between the pre/post light novel dominated eras.
>>
>>140764568

Light novels ruined things the way YA novels did for the publishing industry here in the west.
>>
>>140764568
Worse. anime is better now
>>
>>140767941

2006 is when things started to change, 2008 was pretty much the last year when I'd say the original veterans of the industry still held some sway over what got made and were allowed to contribute their ideas. Since 2009 everything though everything has pretty much been dominated by the whims of the big producers and a lot of the old vets have either retired or just kind of fallen in with the new producer dominated systems and learned to do what they're told. The result though is that so many interesting shows got crammed into that transition period between 2006-2008 that I am still kind of catching up on probably because some of the cleverer industry folk realized it was the last time they were ever going to have a chance to do those kinds of shows. The world economy just tanking at the end of 2008 from which Japan has still yet to recover probably didn't help anime much since it meant even less willingness among producers to take risks than ever before.
>>
same quality
most of my favorite anime was from the 00s
>>
>>140764568
>digitally drawn
But that's wrong.
>>
>>140767203
eww I can't deal with your list
>>
>>140764568
Not huge difference, although shitty animation in some 80s and 90s anime makes them hard to watch. Most of my favorite anime are 00s and 10s, but that's probably generational nostalgia, i'm only 18 so those were the anime coming out when i grew up.
>>
>>140768140

2009 also saw the beginning of Aniplex's near total domination over every aspect of the popular anime production scene which meant even more teen otaku bait light novel things getting adapted at the expense of any other ideas and studios and staff being forced to work on them or pretty much just face bankruptcy cause there was just no other money coming into the industry at the time for obvious reasons. They also came up with the idea to plug the holes in the industries screenwriting and directorial gaps from the swath of veterans retiring or moving on with Okada and popular people from the LN/VN industries which had the effect of bringing their fanatical fans into the mix more which was a boon early on in the decade but also further marginalized the people that actually knew what they were doing for what would eventually turn out to be a bunch of hacks that only knew how to rework a handful of tropes and were unsurprising barely competent at their newfound positions. See shit like Mekaku City Actors, Aldnoah Zero, Charlotte and Classroom Crisis for a great example of this. Light and Visual Novel writers probably should not suddenly be writing scripts and overseeing 12 episode shows while getting to tell people that probably know better than them and have way more experience how to do their jobs and by now when some producers are finally starting to realize maybe this wasn't such a good idea it's kind of too late as the experienced industry vets have moved on to greener pastures or day time anime. And so we get the double down effect we've had for the last couple years that has really taken the piss even further out of late night anime as the industry powers keep pushing further and committing to their chosen path in the hopes that things will get better again.
>>
I think its safe to say that there was a larger influx of Sci-fi/space anime in the 80's and the 90's compared to anything in the 2000's and now.

Considering that I actually enjoyed the genre, I find anime back then more enjoyable than today, but there are still some decent sci-fi/space anime that do come out these days (albeit rarely).
>>
>>140768531
Did Aniplex murder your enter key?
>>
>>140768531

Yeah when your industries most prolific screenwriter is someone like Mari Okada who is 95% miss 5% hit almost all the hits are with one specific director you know it's in a rut. People thought Gen Urobuchi was going to be the industries savior but it turns out he's hit or miss to and about as capable of writing anything else other than extreme edge/angst/suffering. He also seems to suffer from routine writers block even just coming up with ideas for things and finishing them without somebody else's input which usually isn't all that great an idea anyway.

In any case I'm curious to see if now that it's known that he'll be handling episode 20 of Concrete Revolutio Season 2 if that episode suddenly gets way more attention than any other or if his 15 minutes of fame really are just up. I admit he definitely seemed interesting at first but got way too overblown way to fast and just seems content to be a bit player rather than a major industry figure that he got billed as.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUM7h4SVsA
>>
>>140768497
>implying i'm not still growing up
>>
>>140768736

No they're just directly responsible for the rapid decline in variety of anime and ideas that go into making them as well as frankly an increase in the shitposting to real posting ratio of the fanbase with their output IMO. Their systems are pretty obvious now and they usually work well for them financially but their shows are just shit lately, even large elements of the Japanese fanbase are starting to agree but there's not much that can be done about it now that they and Bamco have a stranglehold on the late night anime scene.
>>
>>140768749
He just seems to have decreased his participation a lot in anime-related things ever since Kamen Rider Gaim. It has been a long time since he was actually involved writing the scripts of most episodes of any show. At best, for a while, they were getting concepts from him and then he'd actually write two or three episodes at best, leaving an outline (which, in Aldnoah, was just two or three lines per episode) for the remaining staff to flesh out.
>>
File: 1429339991074.png (90 KB, 439x499) Image search: [Google]
1429339991074.png
90 KB, 439x499
No, I consider good things to be good.
>>
>>140767203
are you not embarrassed airing such shit taste?
>>
>>140768929

The whole fiasco with that and Chaos Dragon probably killed there ability to use him in that capacity even cause now you have people actively checking to see his involvement in things. I'm also still to this day not convinced that anything he's worked on that was a hit wasn't just she rely a coincidence that would have sold anyway with or without his input. Almost all of his hits had some director and staff at the peak of their game and some moe character that caught on big time with otaku that drove it's popularity. He's also always been covered by big budgets and lots of marketing. He's never really had to face the challenge of having to completely rely entirely on his own talents and ideas to make something come together into a hit until this puppet theater thing.
>>
File: 29-3d-anime-characters.jpg (112 KB, 980x866) Image search: [Google]
29-3d-anime-characters.jpg
112 KB, 980x866
Reminder that this IS the future of anime.
>>
>>>/qa/508640
>>
>>140769349
Fuck off
Splitting boards has only ever caused more cancer
>>
>>140768268
He probably means digital compositing of animation. Which did become ubiquitous around that time.
>>
>>140769395
I've been on /vr/ since the start. Sans the meta threads the place is pretty great. Just need better mods to ban the meta shit.
>>
>>140769395
>[doing something here] causes cancer!

4chan is cancer, we have been cancer for a long ass time and we are not going to change or recover into anything better in the future. Just accept it and move on with your life.

Also splitting boards is not a bad idea, considering /v/ was nothing but cancer but with /rv/ something good came out of it.

Plus if there was a retro anime board all the toonami nostalgia shits can have their own threads over there rather than try and make them on here or on /co/.
>>
>>140769349
When is /qa/ getting deleted?
>>
>>140769696
When we get a retro anime board.
>>
>>140764568
>you consider anime from the 80s/90s to be better,
Yes I think it is better cause i like the shading and this arcstyle.Everything else i think 80s/90s just as the same level as now.
>>
On the whole, animation has become more fluid since the move to digital, especially if you're comparing TV shows. Digitally produced shows tend to have more legacy problems than shows shot on film, though. As technology marches on and screen resolutions improve, older digital shows that were only stored at lower resolutions start to look wonky as previously minor defects are scaled up.
>>
>>140765816
agree 80s/90s look better than digital coloring 00s/10s
>>
>>140769305
disgusting
>>
I watched an anime or a movie when I was younger and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Gotta be 80's or 90's.

In the opening there was a blonde guy with sunglasses and he stabbed a guy in the side of the head from behind. I saw a gif of it earlier showing exactly that.

Any ideas?
>>
>>140767203
>tri tone shading was the only thing objectively better about older anime
holy shit take of your nostalgia goggles grandpa.
>>
Oh look, this thread again.

We also had it yesterday.
And the day before.
And on monday too
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.