[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone tell me how to actually rate anime? I usually just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1348322254689.jpg (88 KB, 634x385) Image search: [Google]
1348322254689.jpg
88 KB, 634x385
Can someone tell me how to actually rate anime?
I usually just place it in a bad and good category after I watch it. I only really determine if it is good or bad by how entertained it keeps me.
>>
Lurk in the threads of anime you watch, and pick the most popular opinions.
>>
That's how you rate it.

Though usually people have more than just bad and good.

Out of 5:

1: it's a joke
2: Some elements are alright but not really worth watching
3: Good but done better before
4: Recommended
5: Highly recommended
>>
>>140740135
Made me giggle.
>>
I'm sort watched anime from best to worst. In this case score is not important at all. If anime A is worse than B, i just use lower score. That's all.
>>
>>140739922

How good are you at geometry? It can get pretty hairly once you start rating 3+ cour shows.
>>
10 - Masterpiece
9 - Very good
8 - Good
7 - OK
6 - Trash
5 - Trash
4 - Trash
3 - Trash
2 - Trash
1 - Trash
>>
>>140739922
If you're asking how you should rate things:
You don't, because thinking a numeric value can accurately reflect the artistic or entertainment value of a show is fucking stupid. Discuss the things you like, call the things you don't like shit, but don't invade their threads just to do so.

If you're asking how other sites rate things:
10 - I've only seen 5 shows, but anime is AWESOME
9 - I liked it, but no one else did
7 - I hated it, and so did everyone else
6 - I liked it, but so did everyone else
1 - I hated it, but everyone else liked it
>>
>>140739922
5 - It's a show you watched and enjoyed
1 - it's a show someone else you don't like watched and enjoyed.
>>
>>140739922
why would you rate an anime?
>>
>>140739922
The judgements of critics are based on evaluations of the degree to which the thing judged performs its function or achieves its goal. This is an idea that dates back to Aristotle, who posits that something is good if it performs its function well. For example, we can agree that a good knife is one that cuts well. The way we understand the function of something is a product of interpretation. In the knife example, we observe a handle attached to a sharp blade, and from this we determine that its function is to cut. While this is satisfactory for more simplistic instances, when concerned with the judgement of a work of art the problem of interpretation becomes more complex. In truth, it seems as though any interpretation of a work of art is merely a reflection of one’s biases and prejudices. Works of art are rooted in tradition, and therefore depend on hermeneutics to give them meaning. In hermeneutics, our interpretations are guided by our prejudices alongside authoritative tradition. Therefore, we cannot arrive at an objective understanding of a work of art that is free from assumption. This does not, however, restrict the possibility of critique within hermeneutics, but even so, the singular nature of the work itself restricts us from ever achieving an exhaustive, “true” meaning.
>>
>>140739922
Remember tastes are always subjective, but what you need are Golden standards.
What series rate 10 in music.
What series rate 10 in animation.
What series rate 10 in character development / plot / voice acting / etc.

Every anime has a fault, but series that generally have a personal 10 are good enough for recommendation, as long as you clearly point out the flaw.

e.g Sword Art Online is 10 for pre-teens, 6 for adapt watchers, for source adaption its a 5, lacking explanation of sword skills, animation an 8, plot development a 4 because wasted potential not developing on better themes besides a short romance.

If you criticize, you give your reasons.
If you personally rate it high, you also give your reasons.

People will agree / disagree with your opinions, for me Last Exile is a 10 due to artstyle of its time, rated now its a solid 7, music still holds up, plot was an 7.

7 is like a global enjoyable standard, 5 is average with everything below an expressive kind of shittiness generally depending on how many taboos are broken. You also say shit like, people that hate cg shouldn't watch last exile.
State the flags.
>>
>>140741559
I feel like at that point just use your fucking words and skip the dumb numbers.
>>
>>140741559
In other words, as a reviewer you need to give people an impression of your tastes, there will definitely be people that think you are based or full of shit from it, which is great in the long run so you can filter out the faggots since you can't hold hands with everyone on the net, that would make you a slut.
>>
>>140741642
Yeah but this is context for a very short 2 - 3 paragraph review, generally people won't finish it if it goes past 2.

There are all different styles, the dumb numbers help in this style. I agree though I only enjoy the reviews from people who go in depth and numbers wouldn't suit explanation, but insightful opinions are far and few between.
>>
>>140739922
On a scale of 1-10
1-3 are varying degrees of garbage
4-6 are varying degrees of okay
7-9 are varying degrees of good
10 is a fictional ideal that doesn't exist / is a trap to catch people with shit opinions you should ignore

But I usually just go with shit/was okay/would watch again
>>
>>140739922
Use the meta critic and IGN system
100 masterpiece
99-97 good
96-79 average but call it shit anyway
78-0 unwatchable shit
>>
File: 5304234320.jpg (64 KB, 500x673) Image search: [Google]
5304234320.jpg
64 KB, 500x673
>>140739922
I've developed a unique scale that combines numbers, letters, and colors. The numerical scale goes from 0 to 1000, the letter system uses letters from the Latin alphabet only, and the color system uses colors that fall anywhere on the spectrum. A little specific and complicated but it serves as a rating and review system. For example, my score for Evangelion is a Blue342é, while learning what this means might take some time, once you've understood my rating system, you'll learn not only what value I place the series at, but how I feel about the animation, characters, soundtrack, and so on. Different combinations mean different things, an éBlue342 is completely different and so is a 342Blueé. You need to make your own unique rating system OP, it's fun, you'll see anime in a whole new light, and you'll be able to more accurately assess and reflect upon the qualities of a show.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.