[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Popular manga that had the sense to end when it was right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1459825761415.jpg (79 KB, 563x640) Image search: [Google]
1459825761415.jpg
79 KB, 563x640
It seems to me that too many popular manga and light novels drag on and on, overstaying their welcome, until the quality drops significantly and/or the fans' interest fades. The worst examples are harem romcoms like pic related where the inevitable heartbreak/victory is delayed indefinitely to blueball the fans. There isn't as big of an issue with well-crafted stories that were always intended to be long running (I Am a Hero, Vinland Saga, anything by Urasawa Naoki, etc) but those are the minority.

What are some LNs or manga that in your opinion had the sense to end properly without needlessly dragging things out for profit? For me Fullmetal Alchemist and Hellsing immediately come to mind, which are ironically two of the most entry-level titles out there.

>inb4 veiled rec thread
Then give criteria for when you think a long-running manga/LN should end.
>>
>>140624251
>>inb4
OP can't inb4.
>>
YU YU HAKUSHO
>>
>>140624573
idk man i kinda think it should have ended with the dark tournament
it kinda did the DBZ thing with, "oh you beat the strongest thing in the universe? time to go to another universe and beat that strongest thing"

id say ruruoni kenshin did a good job like that, in the manga at least. the anime's third arc was non-canon nonsense.
>>
>>140624573
I agree with >>140624695, the Saint Beasts or whatever they were called were fairly underwhelming.
>>
>>140624251
You say entry level as if it's a slur, but maybe they are entry level because they aren't poorly planned out wrecks that would make someone think "This is shite".

Imagine if the first thing you shown someone was something like Hunter X Hunter.
>>
>>140625526
My dad gave me the first HxH volume when I was 15 and my only experience with anime/manga had been agent Aika and Ranma.

I had a good start.
>>
The problem is just the way serialized manga works in Japan. If you are popular, you have to keep going whether you like or not. If you lose popularity, you are given the axe with only a few chapters notice to wrap things up. It makes it very hard to actually plan and pace an ending. The only authors allowed to end on their own will are people whose series have been going on forever and a half anyway.
>>
File: 1399364873004.png (479 KB, 598x529) Image search: [Google]
1399364873004.png
479 KB, 598x529
Frankly, this >>140626216

As an author with a LN/manga that sells well, if you come up to your editor saying that you want to end it, the way the current industry works, you'll be ending too your carrier.
Hence a series keeps going as long as it can, with a very few cases in which they have let the authors give a natural death to their series.

Also, not knowing this confirms that OP don't know shit about /a/'s favorite industry.
>>
>>140626216
it is pretty shitty. It forces the writer to write for the sake of it rather than write with a story in mind.

Some people like Miura are very lucky to get to fuck around like they do.
>>
That's why all based anime is plain shit in terms of story
>>
Nisekoi is going to end. I can feel it.

My spirit will be at rest again.
>>
>>140626997
That's still better than cape comics where your characters are basically passed around for eternity, doomed to recycle them over and over and over without any real development
>>
>>140627770
Right, but we are discussing the shitiness endemic to anime. Even then there are many stellar singular stories.

Problem here is an author of a single one off series can't often write for shit to begin with some hack concept. Then there's being unable negotiate more with the editor for the sake of literary integrity.
>>
Detective Conan's on it's 813th episode.
>>
American TV shows have the same problem. They're either extremely bloated and go on forever until they run out of steam (Battlestar Galactica), or they get get cancelled because they're not popular enough (Deadwood).
>>
>>140629029
This is the principle of all series media
>>
>popular manga that had the sense to end when i say it should
>popular manga that had the sense to end when the anime came out
>popular manga that had the sense to end when it got a new writer
>>
>>140628988
I'm halfway through the manga right now, and despite normally liking long-runners I'm already have ridiculous franchise fatigue.
>>
Assassination Classroom just ended, and it was pretty popular (in Japan, at least). The story was reaching its perfect finale, and Matsui-sensei pulled the plug when the time was just right.
>>
File: 000-1.jpg (553 KB, 1372x1246) Image search: [Google]
000-1.jpg
553 KB, 1372x1246
>>140624251
strictly speaking it was cancelled. but it being cancelled was the best thing to happen to this series since it forced the mangaka (Mizuki Kawashita) to very neatly and succintly wrap up the series and give satisfactory endings for each of the heroines, instead of dragging out the series way paste it's expiration date (like she did with her previous series Ichigo 100%)
>>
>>140624251
Who's the win?
>>
File: 1458423647416.png (301 KB, 799x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458423647416.png
301 KB, 799x1200
>>
Gash Bell
GTO
Mizukami stories
>>
>>140635685
Even this you can tell was cancelled abruptly, Sakura and the teacher just got footntotes on what happened to them.
>>
File: nisekoi.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
nisekoi.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>140624251
I really wanted to like that show, sorta liked the premise, sorta reverse Romeo and Juliette. I also liked how she had a reason to ms tsuntsun, other than "that's just the way she is".
Then they go ahead and ruin it. This kills the dick.
>>
>>140632407
Yet you keep going? Why on earth... This is how we got ourselves the tag /a/utists.
Watching/Reading shit for the sake of it is as bad as the industry producing this shit for the sake of it.

I also wish the "today's anime is all shit" meme would finally go. You all have a case of major nostalgiagoggles, remembering the classics from 10+ years ago whilst forgetting the shit. You are also forgetting that the sheer amount of anime that is been pumped out has increased, which just inflates the "shit count".

There have been a ton of great anime series and films that have been released in the past 5 years, but all anyone talks about is "muh moeshit".

Problem lies in today's generation wanting everything now, not in shitty shows.
>>
>>140639632
>Yet you keep going? Why on earth... This is how we got ourselves the tag /a/utists.
I took a break for a few months. It isn't a bad series, just a tiring one.
>>
>>140639785
I mean, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it, go ahead, nothing wrong with that. Just that you have people here who read/watch stuff to "tick the box", something that is just beyond retarded.
>gotta follow at least 40% of this season's shows or /a/ won't let me be part of their club.
>>
File: Izayoi.jpg (91 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Izayoi.jpg
91 KB, 1024x576
If an author can't end the series the way he wants he's a little bitch nigga.
>>
>>140639691
Don't use emoticons on /a/.
>>
>>140640098
;_;
>>
>letting the magazine you publish through dictate when the manga does and does not end
just put it up a subscription website where you can write it however you want.
>>
>>140640559
Then you just prostitute yourself to the donations of your readers.
Half of all webcomics went the homo-route and 100% politically correct because of their communities.
I used to like sinfest.
>>
>>140640660
>i dont understand how the industry works
How exactly would that help in any scenario?The advertising that is given by major magazine companies is what gives the manga word of mouth, do you really think that putting your shitty comics on a pay to view site will give it any if not no attention?
>>
>>140640768
Ment the anon above you.
>>
>>140639691
Why did Fukumoto decided to make sequel of this???
>>
>>140640559
and then another author comes along who is not a difficult as you are, he gets to publish his stuff in the magazine "pandering to otaku" while you twiddle your thumbs staring at your 20 pageviews/month "quality" webseries.

Everybody here also seems to be forgetting that quite a few people in this industry are otaku themselves and have absolutely no problem pandering "moeshit", hell a lot of them even like drawing/animating moe.

Someone link that interview with that animator who just keeps going on about he loves the fact that his job is to draw cute girls to then get to watch those cute girls.
>>
>>140639632
for me it's because i've already watched all the shows that iI've wanted to watch. mow i'm just watching random shit and hoping something will stick.
i'm a shell of a human being now someone please save me
>>
>>140642013
I know this feeling. I have seen everything I want to see. Nothing from this season even remotely interests me. Now I am just rewatching old shit and watching random shit in the hopes of finding something will allow my mind to go numb for a while.
>>
>>140624251
>FMA
Fuck no, it went on way longer than it probably should have and the author ended up getting too attached to her own characters to actually weigh consequences properly. It should have shaved off a year or two at least.

>>140624695
Chapter Black was way better than the Dark Tournament.
>>
>>140626216
It's not really a problem. It's completely understandable.
If my series was making money and people wanted more, I'd stretch it out more to the best of my ability. My story I had in mind would grow and there would be new arcs, characters, etc.

Maybe it ends up twice as long, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily bad or worse than if it was shorter/what I had in mind. The issue is not exactly with them stretching it out, it's the ability of the writer and HOW it gets stretched out.
Filler chapters are an indication of bad writing unless they tie in to the plot or characterization, that doesn't reset after the chapter.
>>
Manga that ended too late:
Usagi drop
Death note
TWGOK

Manga that ended too soon:
Amari
Double arts
TWGOK
Mx0
>>
>>140646342

>TWGOK

Fucking time travel bulshit, how long was that arc again? Two years?
>>
>>140633351
That's an exception, it already had an end planned from the beginning. One year until graduation, remember ? They can't simply pull off a "they saved Koro-sensei and lived happily ever after".
>>
File: 02_03.jpg (341 KB, 1456x1087) Image search: [Google]
02_03.jpg
341 KB, 1456x1087
>>140624251
>ends on 99th chapter
impressive amount of chapters. I'm sure the mangaka must have been happy.
>>
>>140648966
Yeah, it had a great ending and wrapped up everything so nicely. Couldn't ask for more.
>>
>>140624573
The end of YYH was a horrible mess, but it's an example of a managaka being forced to continue a story until he put his foot down and ended it. It could've been worse and more dragged out if not.
>>
>>140648966
Did the MC ever use magic?
>>
File: 12314123.jpg (238 KB, 900x1278) Image search: [Google]
12314123.jpg
238 KB, 900x1278
>>
>>140649252
Of course he did!

He spent like 90 chapters trying to make that useless nullifying card work out somehow but in the end he switched to a normal magic card like everyone else. Happy ending.
>>
I'll be focusing on medium-lenght series.

One that ended when it was best for it to is The Law of Ueki (16 volumes/52 episodes). Of course, the whole series was a tournament arc so it mustn't have been too difficult for the author to pace it.

A series that went on too long is Love Hina (14 volumes). The main plot is entirely resolved exactly halfway through barring a necessary confirmation from a character who only shows up at the very end and the second half is mostly composed of zany trips and a character is introduced whose purpose is clearly to extend the story. Still, it's telling that even like that, Love Hina (of which Nisekoi is a clone) ended at 120 chapters while Nisekoi is at 210+ and counting, its main plot isn't any more complex and instead of being solved early and then put on the backburner until the end, it kept getting needlessly more and more convoluted until the author simply forgot without resolving it until now (which signals the end must be close).
>>
>>140624251
Punpun
>>
>>140624251
I hope Nisekoi ends so another masterpiece like Naruto can take its place. God only knows we need another shitty battle shonen.
>>
Biscuit Hammer ended at 63 chapters with two epilogues for maximum closure. Don't know if it would count as being "popular" for its time though.
>>
>>140624251
mx0
>>
>reading manga. literally the worst readings ever exists, even worse than used toilet paper
>complaining about quality
lol. you are pathetic, anon
>>
>>140646342
I'll always wonder if it was the author or editors idea to turn TWGOK into a shitty generic version of the kind of manga it was originally making fun off.
>>
I feel like naruto couldve went on longer.
it felt like kishimoto was forced to end it abruptly in those final chapters. shit fight and all. also it apparently "had to end" on 700, like he had a deadline.
>>
>>140626216
You only seem to describe JUMP and the more popular weekly mags. All of that hardly applies to some of the more obscure mags.

>>140624573
No.

I sort of agree about FMA. When a manga gets that long, it's hard to clean up all the loose ends, but it managed it well enough. As far as reasonably long series go that wrap up properly, Shin Angyo Onshi comes to mind, but that's not really manga. Lone Wolf and Cub, Homunculus, Buddha, Sanctuary. The charts actually have like all of these I think.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.