[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there a more meaningless criticism than "pretentious"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 26

seems to just be code for "I didn't understand it"
>>
>>140546158
>is there a more meaningless criticism than "pretentious"?
conceited?
>>
>>140546158
vainglorious
>>
banal
>>
>>140546158
when someone says they hate evangelion, I automatically kinda think less of them
>>
File: smugface23nadia.png (151 KB, 299x310) Image search: [Google]
smugface23nadia.png
151 KB, 299x310
>>140546618
That's funny, because when someone says they like evangelion, I automatically kinda think less of them. huh...
>>
>>140547507
What if they only watch Evangelion in German though?
>>
>>140546158
"Meme" show.
>>
>>140547507
>...
When someone type like this, I automatically kinda think less of them.
>>
>>140547571
What language does asuka speak to her stepmom then?
Does it go from German to German and the scene is lost?
>>
File: glasses-guy-annoyed-face.png (154 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
glasses-guy-annoyed-face.png
154 KB, 672x372
MFW people call "edgy religious imagery + whiny bitch mecha MC" a good anime
>>
>>140547826
You are a bit simplistic aren't you.
>>
>>140547662
Twenty two years old meme.
>>
>>140546158
I think it's more code for, "I couldn't think of a meaningful reason why I didn't like it."
>>
>>140547892
The name "Neon Genesis Evangelion" was literally put together from random words relating to random religious stuff for no reason other than that it sounds cool and this was admitted by the creator of the series.
I'm not saying it's bad, it's pretty average imo but it's certainly not the masterpiece people claim it to be and when people praise it for being the best thing ever I get annoyed.
>>
>>140548177
Well you do have a point the series wasn't supposed to become some kind of masterpiece, but you can't deny it was good, average good, vanguardist, and till now days it leaves a huge impression on many people if it was your first anime you might get it.
>>
>>140548177
The religious stuff isn't the point of the series. The battles aren't, either. It's a character drama. Whether that resonates with you is subjective, but the characters' portrayals can't be called average, especially for their time.
>>
>>140547999
This.

Evangelion was good, and if you never watched it and suddenly you did you will reach this same conclusion: "It was good". It doesn't matter if you like it or not. Maybe you won't think, it's a masterpiece (That's up to debate), or the best anime ever, but it's good and no one can deny it.
>>
File: Ready.jpg (26 KB, 1301x706) Image search: [Google]
Ready.jpg
26 KB, 1301x706

seems to just be code for "I didn't understand it"
>>
"Overrated"
Literally the shallowest and most meaningless thing to possibly say when trying to validate your opinion, it's just basically saying "there are people who liked this more than me"
>>
>>140546158
What if they understand it and still call it pretentious?
>>
File: a-bait.png (33 KB, 448x452) Image search: [Google]
a-bait.png
33 KB, 448x452
>>140546158
>>
>>140549307
You can understand something without reaching to that conclusion.
>>
>>140549307
then you have a debate

unfortunately people don't get that far
>>
>>140546158
But Eva is not pretentious, the message is simple. Stop watching animu and find another hobby.

I don't think of it as deep, but people's opinions are shit and what matters is only mine.
>>
>>140549307
>>140549406
Constructive discussion/criticism seems to be non-existent now days, specially on /a.
>>
>>140546158

Pretentious is perfectly useful when someone has a flash sense of self importance, works to take them down a peg I think. The irony in your analysis is almost palpable.

>>140546196
Conceited is fine too. I have heard "self-conceited" which actually does border on meaningless.

>>140546365
Have you any issues with the words "mundane", "ordinary" or "everyday" either?

>>140547662
This is actually the first "useless" insult all thread. Looking at the etymology of the word meme would hardly bring a user to any meaningful understanding of a "meme show".

>>140549263
It depends on the speaker and their credentials in a way (argument from authority much?). But really, if someone with a wide understanding of a field labels something overrated then I believe them.

I don't even watch /a/nime lel I just saw this on the front page and thought I would share my two cents. I have used almost all of these words meaningfully and deliberately to convey a particular idea in my head.

Further to my original point, the irony of the OP is what actually drew me here. What kind of wanker lambastes people using the word "pretentious" in literally one of the most self-important and pretentious fashions I have ever seen?! "Oh they called my animu pretentious....they musn't have understood it". Maybe I was b8ed but either way...fucking kek.
>>
>>140548177
>getting this mad over a name
>literally judging books by their covers
Holy fuck it's sure /v/ in here
>>
>>140549406
Lot's of people debate Evangelion.
>>
>>140549507
Correction - if someone with a wide understanding of a field labels something 'overrated' then I am inclined to give their opinion some weight contingent on their credentials and reasoning.
>>
>>140549507
>>140549557
You're right but he posted an image of eva, so you might kind of figure he has an etremely positive opinion about it, or a biased negative one. That's the point of the discussion people gives opinion without knowing.
>>
>>140549702
He shouldn't single out use of the word pretentious though then. I like language and I think people are more harsh on the language than they are on the idiots that use it.
>>
>>140549702
You're talking to a literal crossboarder. They said they don't even watch anime, so they obviously don't get the kind of usual shitflinging that comes with certain shows (e.g. Evangelion being "pretentious").
>>
>>140549527
>"getting mad"
>said annoyed, not "mad"
I also didn't judge it based on its name, I simply pointed out that the religious imagery in the name was pointless.
But of course the rest of the series isn't much different.
Pretty cool sounding and looking but 20% pointless shit so as good as the rest of it was I can only give it a 8/10 at best but in the end it's a 6/10 for me, worth the watch but I could be watching better stuff though other people may enjoy it more it certainly doesn't belong in any top 5 list ever.
>>
>>140549821
Well you're right, but what I mean is that many people watch evangelion, but they don't get it so they call it pretentious, OP used the languaje wrong but he has a point.

>>140549892
Exactly, I was about to tell him to leave.
>>
File: Watching NGE be like.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Watching NGE be like.gif
1 MB, 400x300
>>140546158
>seems to just be code for "I didn't understand it"

>NGE is so DEEP you guise!
>You jus dun UNDERSTAND!
no anon, adding references to christianity every 5 seconds does not make a show deep
making the MC a mental wreck doesn't make it deep either
>>
>>140550620
What a strong, mature argument you got there, you completely change my views,Oh god, how wrong I was.
>>
File: lowqualitybait.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lowqualitybait.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>140550620
>unironically using the word deep
>3DPD pic
You fucked up newfag
>>
>>140546158
Pretentious is a sensible criticism. If something has an affectation of intelligence but isn't actually being intelligent, then it's 'pretentious'. Examples of that are the arbitrary philosophical quips in Psycho Pass and the pointless anachronism in the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
>>
>>140550934
Finally someone who understands me.
>>
>>140550934
>pointless anachronism in the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Explain.
>>
>>140551216
He doesn't like it.
>>
File: asuka-cute.jpg (29 KB, 423x469) Image search: [Google]
asuka-cute.jpg
29 KB, 423x469
>>140551291
I don't like it either.
>>
>>140546158
but pretension is a real phenomenon

NGE was not pretentious, though. it was genius
>>
>>140551216
The final episode of season 2 chronologically takes place immediately before the first episode of season 1, which makes that first episode a fun way of introducing the characters, but then the rest of the episodes in season 1 also take place in an order so bizarre that you wouldn't be surprised if it was decided with the help of a random number generator. Unlike with the initial episode, there's no reason and no benefit for them to present the rest of the episodes out of order. It causes plot arcs to become haphazard and choppy, stifles character development, and turns the series into a mess.

By contrast, a series like Baccano! gets away with using anachronism because the big plot reveal chronologically takes place before every other major event.
>>
>>140551422
Thank you, I watched the series in the cronological oreder but I kind of figure what they were trying to do, but honestly it was just pretentious and useless.
>>
>Evangelion
>Good

They literally used Christian themes only because it's exotic in Japan. If that isn't pretentious I don't know what is.
>>
>>140551422
>>140551561

The problem with haruhi is that the threads were fun so nostalgiafags get butthurt a lot.

>>140551570

You didn't even watch the show, and probably baiting, kill yourself.
>>
>>140551570
Eva isn't pretentious. Picking some imagery because they think it's cool (and not even denying it) isn't pretentious.

The fans, however, are pretentious, since they read into shit that the creators did not intend for.
>>
>>140551422
Haruhi S1 benefited from anachronistic airing order since the climax was so early and designed to air near the end, and I enjoyed trying to piece things together. It never felt like they were trying to be intelligent with it as with something like Memento.

When I rewatched it in chronological order, the pacing was a lot worse.
>>
>>140551657
>The fans, however, are pretentious, since they read into shit that the creators did not intend for.
How is that pretentious? I'm an evafag but I know what I'm watching. And I'm obviously not watching for the creators but for the work itself. I do agree though that the fanbase is annoying. But your conclusion is stupid.
>>
>I hate myself
>But maybe I could love myself
2DEEP4ME
>>
>>140551837
Go watch code geass faggot.
>>
>>140551790
>the fanbase most notorious for deflecting every criticism with 2deep4u
>not pretentious
Yeah, how about you stop pretending you're above the rest of your chumps, thereby proving my point in the process.

Of course, the irony is lost on you as usual, like the rest of your brethren.
>>
>>140551902
You said: "the fanbase is pretentious" how's that so?
I've never said it was deep, you did.
>>
>>140551625
>>140551657
pre·ten·tious
adjective
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

If you want to have your little robot character study, fine. But then don't go sprinkling Christian terminology and imagery when it has nothing to do with the themes, characters, and morals of the show.

It's like if I called my toilet bowl the holy grail. That would be pretentious as well as sacrilegious.
>>
>>140551971
>sacrilegious
*tips bible*
>>
>>140551971
>y affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
And you think Evangelion doesn't possess to this characteristics, just answer, yes or no?
>>
>>140551971
>But then don't go sprinkling Christian terminology and imagery when it has nothing to do with the themes, characters, and morals of the show
No one is talking about those things you are. Those things are completely unrelated to the point of the story. Like you said. And the series does have symbolism, and meaning but it's not pretentious it's quite simple actually.
>>
>>140552016
Whether or not Eva is good is not what i'm even arguing. We're wondering if it's pretentious.

If we took all the religious stuff out of Eva: Called it Robot Wars, Angels are called Rogels, all the crosses are removed, what are we left with? Almost the exact same story just worded different.

It's like putting garnish on a dish or sprinkles on ice cream, it adds nothing to the taste. It's pure masturbatory pretentiousness.
>>
>>140552261
No, we were first discussing the fanbase not the series.
Is pretentious to have a mecha, end of the world setting?

>If we took all the religious stuff out of Eva: Called it Robot Wars, Angels are called Rogels, all the crosses are removed, what are we left with? Almost the exact same story just worded different.

The same I could same about almost everything in the world, everything is just a big ripoff and that is there's no point in discussing anything.
>>
>>140552261
Wouldn't it be because it's there for purely cosmetic reasons? It's not like the series goes out of its way to include it into the story. How is that pretentious it's literally there for the sake of making it look aesthetically pleasing and nothing else?
>>
>>140546158
Calling it Eva.
>>
>>140552261
>>140552363
Besides I asked you if Eva didn't possess the characteristic that it you said in >>140551971
>If we took all the religious stuff out of Eva: Called it Robot Wars, Angels are called Rogels, all the crosses are removed, what are we left with? Almost the exact same story just worded different.
>>
>>140552452
Shit, I got it wrong this is what I meant to quote:
>Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
>>
>>140551971
>>140552261
The religious imagery in Eva is literally there just to help create an atmosphere for the show, Anno wasn't trying to make some commentary on organized religion. It was mainly used because it's an interesting topic and it was rife with stylistic value. I don't see how that could really be considered pretentious.

Do you consider anything that isn't just absolutely necessary to the story or character interactions of a piece of media to be pretentious?
>>
>>140552748
Everybody knows this except anti-evafags, it was the 90's, religious shit, the end of the world, cyberpunk and more, it was a common thing in anime.
>>
>>140552830
I don't know why I even bother trying to argue this shit anymore. Most of the faggots on this website just like shitposting for (you)s.
>>
>>140552993
Yes I know, and you're right, have a nice (you)
>>
>>140546158
There is 'it's shit'.
>>
>>140546158
Pic related is the only show I'd ever call pretentious.
>>
>>140546158
is there a more meaningless criticism than "forced"?

seems to be code for "I couldn't relate to it"
>>
>>140553522
>"I couldn't relate to it"
Literally how I feel every time I say something is "forced" so you got it spot-on there.
>>
>>140546158
Pretentious has it's place in criticism, however from what I know of Evangelion and how it was created the term doesn't really apply because it's all about intent.

Saying something is being pretentious is basically saying that it's trying too hard to be important or impactful in some way that it really isn't. In general that it's trying to be something that it isn't in an attempt to ascribe more significance to itself that it doesn't deserve.

There are far more pointless ways to criticize something becuase at the very least when someone calls something pretentious, and they know what the word means, then you can ask them where you think the show failed to deliver and move on from there. The only real issue is that calling something pretentious is rather inspecific unless you can say why you think it's pretentious.

You can say that about most descriptors though, thery're pretty pointless in criticism unless you can explain what you're talking about to someone who doesn't share your opinion from the outset.

Some examples of some pointless criticism that you might see.
>X is stupid
>X is gay
>X is for fags
>X is shit
>X is trash
>X is a meme
>X is intended for Y and not Z Y being a specified or implied target audience and Z being an individual or group that is watching X that is not part of that target audience
>X is just bad offers no explanation
>X Literally just greentexting the name of something and offering at condescending reaction image as a means of critisim and refusing to explain further apart from cycling through the above listed pointless bits of criticism when prompted

I can go on, but the point is that it doesn't really matter what words you use so long as you can distinguish facts from opinions and can clarify why you feel a certian way about something so that people can discuss it with you.
>>
>>140553522
Trying to turn everything into its subjective equivalent won't change the real definitions of the words, no matter how often they're misused.

Something is forced when it's presented without cohesion or justification.
>>
>>140546158
Go watch Subete ga F ni Naru. See if you can sit through that entire series and still think ‘pretentious’ is a meaningless criticism.
>>
>>140546158
Forced Animation
>>
nge is simultaneously pretentious as all hell and also very down to earth
>>
>>140553522
I think forced is used when people want to say something is either too convinient or too contrived. It can also be due to lack of consistency, especially when it comes to characters acting randomly or out of character ( see most old Gundam show )
>>
>>140550934
You're really over-analysing the intent of the Haruhi's broadcast order if you're calling it pretentious. Sometimes a decision can be both pragmatic and unconventional.
>>
>>140547731
German to german.
>>
>>140546158
Cash grab - it's a pretty empty accusation when 99% of anime produced today is done with the intent to sell LNs and merchandise.

Pretentious - I agree and disagree with your definition. I hate the whole 2deep4u bullshit. but I think to a certain extent anime attracts the uneducated and poorly read. The fact Eva is generally considered one of the more complex anime out there is testament to how little the anime industry expects from its veiwers.

With that said, as other anons have mentioned, the use of Christian imagery and lore was pretenious and 100% unnecessary. It looked "cool" is the very much them trying to make Eva out to be more than it was.
>>
>>140546158
>pretentious
>Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed

It's essentially calling out acting like you made a high quality art when you can't even make a decent product.

This doesn't apply to Eva, even if it isn't my favorite show.
>>
>>140546158
PRETENtious is when an anime is PRETENding to be deeper than it actually is. Evangelion is a good example of this because it pretends to have a deeper meaning at face value which fans have extrapolated, but Anno has gone on record saying a lot of the symbolism he uses was "because it looks cool".

It's less of a criticism and more of an observation. A show can be pretentious and still be good, it basically just means stop trying to read into it because there's nothing there.

As for what's a meaningless criticism, "forced"-anything is a pretty strong contender.
>>
>>140547699
Commas and meme arrows?

When someone types like that I automatically think less of them
>>
>>140558563
>When someone types like that, I automatically think less of them.
>>
>>140554316
Y E S
"The animation was TOO good"
>>
>>140558563
When someone types, I automatically think
>>
>>140555480
>Sometimes a decision can be both pragmatic and unconventional.
Whatever the intent of the order of Haruhi was, it's still irrelevant compared to its effect.
>>
File: 1456348894666.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1456348894666.webm
2 MB, 800x450
>>140558626
Forced animation can also mean overanimated to the point of looking weird and out of place.
>>
>>140547826
I am going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess your favorite anime is magical girl related
>>
>>140558880
"Good animation is out of place in animation!" You fell for a meme.
>>
>>140548177
Man, you made an amazing piece of constructive criticism of the title of the show.
>>
>>140546158
Any critique that's only one word long is inevitably meaningless and shallow. It'd be fine if they were able to actually back up their assertion by explaining what pretensions Evangelion holds.
>>
>>140558945
I shall marry that buzzword.
>>
>>140546158
Caliing something "pretentious" means the opposite of that though.

If anything this "you just don't understand it!" response is the meaningless shit that people get caught up in when talking about it.
>>
>>140546158
Calling something pretentious is legit. The problem is that when most people say "pretentious" they usually just mean "it was high-minded and I didn't like it."

If you use "pretentious" like you would think etymologically, as in "creating pretenses", then anime in general has a huge problem with pretentiousness. Something about Japanese writing seems to want to tell the audience things over showing them. You get a lot of big dramatic scenes that aren't actually dramatic, or tragic scenes that aren't actually tragic. They create the PRETENSE of being sad or dramatic or important when it's actually not. The writers want to tell you what to feel instead of making you feel things. Anime in general has this problem.
>>
This thread showcases so many reasons why I believe nowadays people have a wrong understanding of what makes a show 'deep'.

The religious symbolism is not why people think Eva is deep. I can't speak for the author, but if anything its intention seems to have been to give the series a certain atmosphere (fighting against something unknown and divine).

What makes Eva 'deep' is its down to earth message. There are giant notrobots fighting aliens, but that's just the surface. The reason Shinji suffers is not only because of the situation itself, but because of who he is as a person, similar to the rest of the cast. You could replace piloting the Eva with working at a burdensome job and its message would still work with some adjustments, even though it'd be more boring then.

It teaches a lesson that is more or less applicable to real life, which is why it hits so close home for many people. And on top it's a message many people refrain from telling because it's such a precarious subject.
I feel like nowadays whenever something is regarded as 'deep' it's because it tackles some sort of conflict that would most likely only ever exist in the piece of fiction it was created in. Something like
>Would you shove a spiked dildo in your ass if that was the only way to save your family from dying?
This is such an interesting clash between two ideals, truly created by a masterful thinker.

You could say that Eva does this to some extent as well, like with Kaworu, but that was more about the theme itself. As far as Shinji thought, Kaworu was probably one of the only reasons left to enjoy living and if he decides to kill him everything will be shit. You could compare it to a person contemplating suicide, something that happens in real life as well.

To those who actually think Eva is pretentious, which story (anime or not) would you consider deep? If you don't want to use the word deep you can use words like substance/message/etc.
>>
>>140546618
Well, they just sound like entry-level contrarians at that point.
>>
>>140558907
I love Evangelion and lots of the best anime I've seen was mahou shoujo so fuck off.
>>
>>140546158
Evangelion wasn't pretentious, it was completely earnist
>>
>>140563657
Hemmingway.
>>
>>140558945
You just misread 'weird and out of place' as 'good'.
>>
>>140563657
you can however be pretentious by pretending that you get Evangelion although you really don't
>>
>>140546158
"Disgusting" is a lot worse. It's a word journalists use when they don't give a shit about being objective news tellers.
>>
>>140560801
>The religious symbolism is not why people think Eva is deep. I can't speak for the author, but if anything its intention seems to have been to give the series a certain atmosphere (fighting against something unknown and divine).
I always thought this fit the message of the show to a degree though. Escapism is the central point of Eva and religion and mysticism can be a tool for it. But when you try to escape reality you always end up harshly confronting it at the end and that's represented by the fact that all those angels turn out to be just creatures from flesh and bones (with even their own problems), the crosses turn out to be engines that fuel them, all the terminology used by the characters is just the ramblings of old, obsessive men who want to escape as well (we see Keel Lorenz leaving behind a multitude of cybernetic enhancement when he gets tanged, which means he probably feared death).

It's true that the same message could be told in a different setting but that goes for a lot stories. Utena could be just about an idealistic girl who finds a friend who's in an abusive relationship, Lain didn't have to go all supernatural and it could have been just about a girl getting addicted to internet. FLCL could just be about a boy growing up and being confused about the behavior of adults, Angel's Egg could be about a man confronting a young girl's faith without the whole post-apocalyptic setting. Tatami Galaxy could just be about a guy tries many things, while missing his opportunity for love and so on.

But I think what's so great about all of these works is that they mix a bit of high-brow/avant garde and pop culture elements in them. On the one hand there are layered narratives, focus on certain themes, psychological elements and attention to shot composition and visual exposition on the other you have visual stylization, fantastical settings and colorful characters. Best of both worlds.
>>
File: 1457819787945.jpg (55 KB, 358x429) Image search: [Google]
1457819787945.jpg
55 KB, 358x429
>>140548177
It means "gospel of the new century"
>>
File: 1460000024850.jpg (38 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1460000024850.jpg
38 KB, 720x540
>>140549507
This guy knows.
>>
File: ACTIVATE ZERO.jpg (65 KB, 537x690) Image search: [Google]
ACTIVATE ZERO.jpg
65 KB, 537x690
Writefag here. Looking for Gunner.
>>
>>140567908
I'm around. How's it going?
>>
>>140558864
You can't criticize something of being pretentious and at the same time brush off the creator's intent as being irrelevant, because that's exactly the thing you're criticizing.
>>
>>140568364
Actually don't post until I get back. Somethin came up. Shouldn't be long.
>>
>>140568603
Oh no worries! Just let me know when you're back!
>>
>>140568691
Alright, sorry about that. I'm back.
>>
Is this an eva thread or nah?
>>
File: 1447375111148.png (7 KB, 500x182) Image search: [Google]
1447375111148.png
7 KB, 500x182
People here use "pretentious" incorrectly most of the time. If you want to see actual pretense, watch Yuasa's anime.
>>
>>140569271
No worries dude! I've got your request if you would like it.
>>
>>140569674
Great to hear. Go ahead.
>>
>>140569716
Here you go then.
http://pastebin.com/UAcPGGMR

I do hope you enjoy it! My workload has been rather heavy this past week, so I didn't have much free time to spend on it, so my apologies in advance if it's sub-par.
>>
>>140569284
It was "supposed" to be a thread discussing the legitimacy of "pretentious" and other frequently misused words as a criticism, but I assume OP posted an Eva picture purely to incite shitposting.
>>
>>140558880
I actually keked when she bit down on the food, looked like she was having a stroke
>>
>>140569369
true, anno never wanted to impress anyone with Eva. It was literally him being edgy and wanting to make a contrarian piece to mecha shows of the time.
>>
>>140567908
>>140568691
>>140569799
Alcoholic journo pls leave
>>
File: 1376210707457.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1376210707457.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
>>140560801
>I believe nowadays people have a wrong understanding of what makes a show 'deep'
>nowadays

>>140564152
This post made me realize why I always liked the religious bullshit in Eva.
I always thought that religion is a form of escapism since people don't face reality and shit.
But I never connected those thoughts.
Thank you anon.
>>
>>140569799
Just finished up. While that was certainly enjoyable I can't help but feel somewhat saddened by the ending. Now I feel like I should I think up something not so smutty for next time, definitely. Something a bit more heartwarming and wholesome, I think. When you're not too busy.
>>
>>140570819
Being honest with me, do you think I leaned to heavily on the narrative? I think that this was the only way I could have ended it without turning Asuka into a cock hungry fiend. I will admit that it did end on a sad note.

Perhaps something "heartwarming and wholesome" is what should come next as a natural evolution of your story.

If you were to put something to me now, I wouldn't have much time to write it. If you want, I can give you my burner address and you can fire suggestions to me, as and when you come up with them.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not just a hornball.

>>140570328
I'm not an alcoholic. Where did that come from?
>>
>>140571105
>I'm not an alcoholic.
Whatever you say.
>>
>>140571105
I definitely feel like that's natural in terms of what should come next. And I don't know in terms of narrative, did what could be done I guess. It's hard to balance when up until now it's been all smut, you know? It's partially my fault I guess and as a waifufag it actually makes me feel pretty bad, then again I was hesitant on the idea of requesting fanfics just due to the potential for stuff that's not so savoury, but somewhat expected in a many compellig work of fiction. I wouldn't want to push any idea too soon, I want time to think and make the next real good. Though that's fine if you toss me the burner email, assuming it changed since March.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 279x304
>>140550620
>Thinking that the Christian imagery is why people call the series deep
>>
>>140571626
I'm tired of people handing out their opinions when they didn't even watch eva
>>
>>140571416
Understood on all points. The balance can be skewed unfavourably pretty easily and I can understand your reluctance quite easily.

But, fret not, I tend to bounce through forums trying to brighten the day of people that ask me to write something for them. So if you want to take your time and come up with something special that really resonates with you, by all means do so! And don't be afraid to sling some critique my way if you feel like it.

The burner is likely the same as it was in March. Just send a message to it, even just a blank message, and I'll know it's you.
>>
>>140571761
Alright, sounds good. I'm glad you can level with me here and seem to understand. I'll let you know at some point.
>>
>>140571993
Don't mention it man. I'm off for now though, so have a nice day and take care!
>>
>>140546158
It appears that you don't understand what pretentious means
>>
>>140572190
I'd say 90% of people here don't either.
>>
>>140572116
You too. I'll try.
>>
>>140552261
Frankly if Evangelion ever got a live action western adapataion, I'd hope they stripped out all the Japanese and mecha parts and found a way to adapt it culturally in a way that the themes of antiescapism and such would actually come through.

By your metric, Star Wars is pretentious because its nothing more than a fantasy samurai movie in space
>>
>>140574411
I feel the exact opposite. I would rather just see cool shit done with Eva's design philosophy than have them attempt to and ultimately botch a proper thematic story.
>>
>>140574547
I'm just trying to be realistic about what Hollywood would actually do.

The designs ARE god tier, but western audiences wouldn't go see it if the fantastical parts weren't brought down to earth.

There is a legitimate message there for a lot of people in it in this day and age. Think about how many kids are growing up with escapism right in their pocket these days? Not even talking about a normalfag sense where you gotta party and be "normal" but at least not rely on the screen/walkman to run away.
>>
>>140546618
when someone says they hate shingeki no kyojin, I automatically kinda think less of them
>>
>>140546158
Egregious.
>>
>>140553761
>>X is intended for Y and not Z Y being a specified or implied target audience and Z being an individual or group that is watching X that is not part of that target audience
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/mlp/
>>
>>140549307
That's how it's supposed to be used. Pretentious means something is acting smarter than it actually is. Therefore if you don't understand what something is trying to say you necessarily can't judge it as pretentious.
>>
>>140546158
It's an incredibly valid criticism, it's just a very overused one.
>>
>>140546158
forced animation
>>
pretentious ‎(comparative more pretentious, superlative most pretentious)

Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.

Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.

Ostentatious; intended to impress others.

Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable.

Not to be confused with
pretense ‎(plural pretenses)

(US) A false or hypocritical profession, as, under pretense of friendliness.
Intention or purpose not real but professed.

with only a pretense of accuracy

An unsupported claim made or implied.
An insincere attempt to reach a specific condition or quality.
>>
>>140569799
Is there more of this?
>>
File: 1461349896154.jpg (50 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
1461349896154.jpg
50 KB, 472x472
>>140546158
I agree totally.
Evangelion isn't pretentious either, and although the symbolism was only used for aesthetic value there is still the full brunt of it to be interpreted.
And personally I think interpretation of unprogrammatic content is more valuable than it is with programmatic content.
It allows you to derive things that the creator couldn't have seen even if he tried.
>>
File: 1374691293685.jpg (60 KB, 450x557) Image search: [Google]
1374691293685.jpg
60 KB, 450x557
>>140546158
1. The creator himself said a lot of the symbolism means nothing and is just there to be cool.

2. Evangelion is entry-level babby tier of "meaningful" anime. And the actual moral of the story isn't even all that special or unique anyway. It doesn't help that it's buried under a pile of obligatory religious visuals that are just there for pseudo-intellectuals to masturbate to. They weren't necessary anyway.

Adding references to something doesn't make it good or meaningful. Everything has religious references nowadays. Every show, comic, form of media has references, doesn't mean all of them are deep. Spongebob Squarepants had references. My Little Pony has references. Steven Universe has references, doesn't mean they're intellectual shows.

3. Nothing Evangelion did was amazing or original. Watch more anime.

4. Yes, it was pretentious. It doesn't matter how butthurt you are about it.

5. Watch at least more than 5 anime before posting on /a/
>>
File: Iamnowamatureman.png (75 KB, 142x208) Image search: [Google]
Iamnowamatureman.png
75 KB, 142x208
>>140579621
This guy gets it.
>>
>>140578683
Yep, but I don't have it.
Good shit though.
>>
>>140575820
There's other shows that get that response, but that's more /co/ than /mlp/
>>
Am I the only one that thought evangelion was just boring? Maybe it's because I didn't have the nostalgia of watching it in the 90s and I've watched a lot of better anime before. The writing is on par with the typical visual novel or jrpg and a lot of them do it way better too
>>
>>140579621
Your statements are contradictory. If he said that the symbolism meant nothing then the show can't be pretentious.
>>
>>140580443
In general, I think it's fair to say that if you've been exposed to something in a specific genre that you consider to be a master piece, you'll never really be able to understand why some people love something else.
It's less to do with overall objective quality and more to do with subjective interpretation of something. All the 2deep4u stuff is a poor meme. What is deep for one person, is shallow for another. What is writing on par for one person, is excellent writing for someone else.

You found it boring, and that's fine, but at least you have the sense to say it might be based on nostalgia or that you didn't like the writing too much.

In short, good post.
>>
>>140580443
I felt the same way. I felt extremely bored for he first half of the show and then it was just depressing and emotionally awkward for the rest of it. I don't hate eva, but it's nowhere near the masterpiece that people call it. Ano had some neat ideas, but he's not the best storyteller and can't really do surrealism (to be fair, not many can tho). I don't think that evafags realize how much their nostalgia distorts their judgement.
>>
>>140580443
Only just got done watching it for the first time. Thought it was pretty good, had a nice angle with what it means to be human and ultimately what it means to love. All of it brought along with good character interaction.
10/10 drama will probably watch it again some day.
>>
>>140580826
There are many, many people with no nostalgia for Eva who still love it to death. I watched it for the first time last year and it's easily among my favorite things ever.
>>
>>140549527
>muh /v/ boogyman
I swear it's like /tv/ and interracial sex, or /pol/ and Jews.
>>
>>140579621
>The creator himself said a lot of the symbolism means nothing and is just there to be cool.
Can someone give me a quote for this? People say this, but the only remotely similar quote I found was the one at Otakon and it was by Tsurumaki no Anno.
>>
>>140582245
He also said something vaguely like that about how the name was chosen when speaking to some elementary schoolers. The quote isn't supposed to mean that none of the symbolism is meaningful, just that not all of it is.

Also, and this is more personal opinion, but I think it can sometimes be a bit foolhardy to take a creator on their word.
>>
>>140550873
autism
>>
>>140546158
Yes.

>deep
>comfy
>fun
>edgy

Regardless, if the people you communicate with frequently misuse common words either willfully to dissemble or simply from ignorance, you should seek better company.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (12 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
12 KB, 300x237
>>140546158
rewatched this months ago, the images failed to be shocking or thought-provoking.once you strip away all the gimmicks, Eva was actually really bland. Gunbuster is the superior Gainax show, manages to be interesting, entertaining and memorable (had better ending too) without all the pretentious hipster shit. The dramatic scenes had no impact because I didn't give a shit about the characters, they were too predictable and dull. The actual story wasn't compelling either. The music was fucking GOD-TIER though
>>
>>140582939
Well at least you were right about one thing.
>>
>>140582939
>complains about Evangelion not being thought provoking
>puts Gunbuster on a pedestal
>>
>>140580443
>The writing is on par with the typical visual novel or jrpg and a lot of them do it way better too
Did we watch the same show? The plot was ridiculous and inconsistent, but it works well enough to expand on the characters and make its themes clear - which are more important than plot when it comes to writing anyway.
>>
File: smug anime face.jpg (77 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
smug anime face.jpg
77 KB, 777x656
>>140553761
>>
>>140582939
>The actual story wasn't compelling either

I actually agree. There are so many series that pulled it off better, and by EoE everything felt so forced, they were just showing edgy scenes one after another hoping for a reaction
>>
>>140583447
>There are so many series that pulled it off better
Name one.
>>
File: black-kettle.jpg (37 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
black-kettle.jpg
37 KB, 256x197
>>140546158
Speaking of being condescending and pretentious, OP.
>>
>>140583311
>the plot was ridiculous and inconsistent

And really uninteresting.

>but it works well enough to expand on the characters and makes its themes clear

Ok, so does most anime.
>>
>>140583490
Not that guy, but Nadia had better story-telling (despite the filler episodes) and much more likable characters with better arcs without all the edgy violence and attempted shocking imagery (not counting the silly looney-tunes moments).
>>
>>140583607
OP is in his "chuuni" phase. He thinks Evangelion is an amazing masterpiece because he's watched a total of 10 anime. He probably likes Fate Stay Night and Serial Experiments Lain, anything to enlarge his fedora
>>
i think this marx the time to rewatch
>>
>>140583765
Better story-telling than Evangelion? That's not much of an accomplishment to be honest
>>
>>140583607
Usually kettles are reflective, so when the pot is calling the kettle black it's only doing so because it sees it's own mirror image.
>>
>>140583691
Most anime doesn't bother with having a cohesive thesis, and when it does it's typically even more infantile than Evangelion's themes.
>>
>>140583765
I thought End of Evangelion was just them being so desperate to be shocking. Too bad it was so cartoonish and lame I was actually laughing instead
>>
>>140584047
Most anime do expand on characters and makes it themes clear, which is what you said. And having mature themese doesn't necessarily make something special. Most cartoons and videogames nowadays have mature themes.
>>
>>140584182
Evangelion does expand on it's characters and make its themes clear. It does so explicitly and implicitly at multiple points.
>>
File: tips.jpg (37 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
37 KB, 625x415
>>140584090
>>
>>140546158
Pen Pen is best girl
>>
>>140546618
>>140547507
What about someone who thought it was just okay? Evangelion was alright. It just pretended to be saying more than it actually was. Batman vs Superman also had religious references, doesn't mean that movie was great.
>>
>>140584279
I agree, but so what. A lot of anime do that.
>>
>>140584182
No, most anime doesn't bother with in depth exploration of its themes. I don't think you understand this. Also, please recommend me video games and JRPG's. I'm missing out according to you.
>>
>You will never raise a son with abadonment issues who falls in love with his mother's clone
>>
>>140584415
meant for >>140584244
>>
>>140584279
>overweight American man

I don't get it.
>>
>>140584415
>>140584459
Eva does it way better than your average show does.
>>
>>140584313
>Pen Pen
>Girl
Sorry, did you see that bulge he had? Best girl was Ramiel.
>>
>>140584313
Best character*
>>
>>140584422
A lot of anime do expand on their characters and themes. I don't see why Evangelion is so special
>>
>>140584562
Well, since you keep saying there's a lot of material out there that drowns out Evangelion, please list some titles.
>>
>>140584517
I think Eva itself is an average show so we're probably not going to go anywhere with this.
>>
>>140584562
You know those random throwaway bridge staff members that had like three important scenes in the entire show? Those three characters are more interesting and fleshed out than most main characters. That's why the characterization is so good in NGE.
>>
>>140584604
In what plot or animation? I think Gunbuster is better than Eva, even though it's more straightforward.
>>
>>140584712
In what way is Gunbuster better?
>>
>>140584670
>you know those three random throwaway

Honestly, no. I found most of the characters so forgettable
>>
>>140584793
Really? How?
>>
>>140558767
When someone clips the words of a sentence, I automatically think the thread is shit.
>>
>>140584761
It told a good story without having to resort to gimmicks, and it's just as meaningful as Eva. Now that I think about it I actually think Noriko's character was more compelling than anything Eva + movies had to offer. I know Evangelion had better animation, but I would still put Gunbuster above it
>>
>>140584712
>even though it's more straightforward
This is the reason most people prefer Gunbuster. They don't prefer it in spite of it being straightforward, they prefer it because it is. They reject Evangelion's pretense and atmosphere for the alternative Anno title.

>in what plot or animation?
Fucking hell
>>
>>140584949
>having to resort to gimmicks
What gimmicks?
>>
>>140584949
>without having to resort to gimmics
Such as, you make a conclusion but then don't provide any premises.

>Just as meaningful as Eva
Same again

>More compelling
Same again

Your entire post was meaningless noise, there's nothing that can be drawn or argued from this. "I think" doesn't mean anything without some basis.
>>
File: 9e9[1].png (207 KB, 680x525) Image search: [Google]
9e9[1].png
207 KB, 680x525
>>140546158

Imagine a hipster, some dude that desperately tries to act better than everybody else, he quotes lines from famous works of literature all time trying to sound deep, when you ask him about his hobbies, movies/books he watches/reads, he always answers with something like "it's pretty obscure, you wouldn't know about it, you probably wouldn't like it.", all in all, general faggot shit

Would it be wrong of you to think that he's full of shit, or is it just that you are too dumb to understand him?
>>
>>140584375
>batman vs superman
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>140585019
>this is the reason most people prefer Gunbuster

Because you say so? I think it's the fact that Gunbuster managed to be both meaningful and entertaining and it's very short (only a few episodes) without the need for shock value/pretentious imagery.

>>140585021
All of its attempts to be shocking and all the random unnecessary religious bullshit.

>>140585056
What do you want me to provide? All you're doing is quoting me and saying nothing. This entire post said literally nothing.
>>
>>140585136
Batman vs Superman having religious references isn't an opinion, that's a fact. And actually read that post again, never said the movie was good.
>>
>>140585194
>without the need for shock value/pretentious imagery.
You just fucking proved my point. Read the rest of the post again.
>>
>>140585133
Your analogy makes no sense.
>>
>>140585250
Read what? You're doing it again. You're quoting me and saying nothing.
>>
>>140546158
It definitely is overused. It's not meaningless though
>>
>>140585133
Most people are full of shit. Hipster or not.
>>
>>140548669
Well, it was also a deconstruction of the mecha genre.
>>
File: 1411980587928[1].jpg (27 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
1411980587928[1].jpg
27 KB, 279x304
>>140585252

Or you simply don't understand it
>>
>>140585194
>All of its attempts to be shocking and all the random unnecessary religious bullshit.
Ah yes, because nothing is manipulative or bullshit in Gunbuster. Like Noriko's father's death, that definitely wasn't a deliberate attempt to pull at the viewer's heartstrings and make you care about Noriko through a family connection and nothing else. Or Smith, who was clearly a fleshed out character and who's death was meaningful and significant, and not at all just a way to develop Noriko. Or Coach's imminent demise via space cancer, which definitely wasn't a plot device to make episode 5 more intense and impactful.

These things aren't even that bad. Every story uses "gimmicks". Hell, I would argue that Gunbuster relies on them far more than Eva does due to it's brevity.
>>
>>140585194
Why are you here if you can't or don't want to argue your point?
My post was a direct criticism of your post, you come into a thread that tries to discuss various points of view on a show and then provides no premises to argue from.

>>140585282
You aren't prodiving arguments, at most you're saying "I think" and then somehow think that means anything in a discussion if you don't have any proof or indication of where your thoughts stem from then what are we suppose to use your thoughts for?
>>
Today I learned most people who hate Eva are just biblefags.
>>
I only critique anime as "I like it" and "I don't like it".
>>
>>140585282
>They reject Evangelion's pretense and atmosphere for the alternative Anno title.

>without the need for shock value/pretentious imagery.

If you really want me to spell it out for you - you have just cited what I pointed out was a major reason for most people who prefer Gunbuster to Evangelion. And then you went on to claim that I was only saying so and then directly after cited the same reason I mentioned in the post which you replied to.

Are you baiting? Seriously, if you're not, you should stop posting for both our sakes. You're embarrassing yourself and I'm only enhancing my prejudices.
>>
>>140585548
That's not a critique, that's just an opinion.
>>
>>140585464
None of those are gimmicks. And if you want me to do the same thing with Evangelion, that would be hundreds of posts long

I'm talking about gimmicks of trying to shock the viewer with visuals that don't even need to be there (confirmed by creator). Pretentious bullshit that offer nothing except masturbation material for pseudo-intellectuals.

Without that and the mechs, Eva would just be a standard drama.
>>
>>140585598
>they reject Evangelion's pretense

How would you know that? When someone is watching a show, they're usually open to it. Most people don't watch something just to reject it.

Gunbuster is more accessible, that's all I was trying to say. It's not because they reject Eva.
>>
>>140585489
When you ask, I answer. But when you quote me and just type "I proved blah blah" I can't respond because you said nothing. That means nothing unless you back it up.

I say "I think" because I'm not arrogant enough to say my opinions are the only ones that matter. I like Gunbuster. I don't have problem with people not liking it. Obviously I struck a nerve with you since you're being so condescending all of a sudden.
>>
>>140585742
>None of those are gimmicks.
They are, but the idea that "gimmicks" are bad is silly so I'll let it go.

>And if you want me to do the same thing with Evangelion, that would be hundreds of posts long
Please begin.

>the viewer with visuals that don't even need to be there (confirmed by creator).
Putting it in because it looks good doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be there or that it's pointless. It just means that the primary reason for doing it is to look good, which is completely acceptable as a reason.

>Without that and the mechs, Eva would just be a standard drama.
A very good drama, but yeah, more or less just a standard drama. That's true of anything though. You can't really divorce a work from it's setting and have it fully maintain its charm in most cases.
>>
>>140585848
Why does one need to reject something before watching it? Obviously I didn't mean they reject it before watching it, you're making things up at this stage.

Let's not use accessibility as a metric of quality, especially when Evangelion could be debated to be more accessible than Gunbuster. Unless you're using the amount of episodes as your main criteria for accessibility, in which case you'd be right
>>
the creators didn't even understand what they were making

I mean... it's a series that has had two other endings. Not a lot of commitment to some artistic decision.
>>
>>140586053
miyazaki writes his films and manga on the fly yet they're pretty good anyway. I don't think that's relevant.
>>
>>140585976
>primary reason for doing it is to look good

That's a gimmick. You just confirmed it yourself.

Tell me, how many random crosses and biblical references and random imagery was thrown at the audience in Gunbuster? None because it didn't need all that.

>Please begin.
Fine but I won't do the whole thing. Wait for it.
>>
>>140586102
the stories in his movies dont make sense either
>>
>>140585974
I don't see how I'm being condescending anon, it's just that what you present doesn't mean anything to a discussion if it has no basis in anything, you were asked to provide points but you didn't. Instead your post made it out as if didn't follow the conversation at all and asked two entirely different points than what was being discussed in the first place.
>>
>>140586033
You said they reject Evangelion's pretense and atmosphere, which is meaningless because you have no proof to back that up. How would you even know people rejected Evangelion for that? Obviously all I was trying to say was that Gunbuster is more accessible and I provided reasons why (it's very short, it's entertaining, and it's meaningful).

Anyway I'll post your Evangelion "gimmicks" But I'm not doing the whole series, fuck that.
>>
>>140586149
A lot of them make perfect sense
>>
>>140586220
Different anon you're talking to about the gimmicks. And since this is a casual website, my evidence is my experience with people who have that opinion. Also, you, considering you almost went out of your way to prove my point.
>>
>>140586118
Awesome shots in Gunbuster of giant spaceships shooting space monsters are useless. Those are just gimmicks for sci-fi fags to masturbate to. They should really be removed, seeing as the story is primarily about Noriko. Same with the whole mess about space monsters, seems like kind of a stupid contrivance created so the characters could have cool space battles. Since the story is just about Noriko overcoming herself, we could make the story much simpler and grounded. Let's just set it in a school instead, and have the story be about Noriko passing a test or something.
Oh dear, it appears that I've removed most of what made Gunbuster cool. Shit. Maybe the random setting details are important after all.
>>
>>140586480
Faulty generalization, no need to get frustrated anon.
>>
>>140586774
How is my generalization faulty? None of the things I mentioned are important to the core character story of Gunbuster. So they should clearly be removed as they are gimmicks.
>>
>normal boy all of a sudden has to get in robot and fight monsters

Yeah, nice build up there. Totally not a deliberate attempt to make us sympathize with Shinji. (You can literally call any part of any story manipulative but by your logic this is a gimmick. Yep, a character death is a gimmick, obviously I was talking about that and not the pretentious religious bullshit thrown on Eva to make it look deep.)

>had to push out Rei for Shinji to see
Again, totally not manipulative.

>Shinji masturbates to Asuka
What was the point of this other than to be edgy? "Oh look at us, there's masturbation. We're so avante garde"
It's a scene that serves no purpose because we already know Shinji's personality and what his whole deal is. We didn't learn anything new from this, it's just there so people can say "oh shit there's semen in his hand"

>Ikari being a dick to Shinji
Wow, I guess I have to feel sorry for Shinji now. Since he was just a normal boy but we have to make him fight monsters and his robot is his mom (just because, totally not deliberate at all)

>generic beta male MC meets obligatory tsundere and obligatory silent girl to have obligatory awkward scenes
Then again Eva straight up tells you it's "fanservice". I mean it's self-aware but that doesn't change the fact that it's a gimmick.

>"Asuka gets wrecked and Shinji doesn't help"
Again, what does this prove? We already know Shinji, he's been the same predictable character the whole way through. How is this anything new? It's just redundant.

>Misato dies, Shinji cries
Totally a necessary death, not manipulative bullshit whatsoever. Again, it's just redundant. Bad things happen, Shinji cries. We already know all this, we already expect all of this. Why is being redundant good? Why is being predictable good?

>Asuka chokes Shinji, proceed with trippy visuals
"We're so avante garde!" Look how deep we are! Those internet guys are gonna love this! By the way, the symbolisms mean nothing but hey let's just pretend
>>
>>140587109
I.e. we can't have a story where things happen and the world is always logical.
>>
>>140587109
>Yeah, nice build up there. Totally not a deliberate attempt to make us sympathize with Shinji. (You can literally call any part of any story manipulative but by your logic this is a gimmick. Yep, a character death is a gimmick, obviously
Absolutely correct.
>I was talking about that and not the pretentious religious bullshit thrown on Eva to make it look deep.
Alright, we've cut to the core already. The religious bullshit was not there to make Eva look deep, it was there to set a tone. The vague religious references are there to make it clear that the Angels are more than they appear IN UNIVERSE, not to make the viewer think they are a symbol for something.

>had to push out Rei for Shinji to see
>Again, totally not manipulative.
It's showing that Gendo is a massive piece of shit trying to guild Shinji. It's not the author trying to make you feel bad, it's a character in the story trying to make another character in the story feel bad. Not gimmicky in the slightest.

>Shinji masturbates to Asuka
>What was the point of this other than to be edgy? "Oh look at us, there's masturbation. We're so avante garde"
> It's a scene that serves no purpose because we already know Shinji's personality and what his whole deal is. We didn't learn anything new from this, it's just there so people can say "oh shit there's semen in his hand"
Natural progression of the character. We knew Shinji was fucked but this is about the worst thing he ever does. It's also to show how Shinji thinks about the people around him in a very stark and shocking way, as well as to set the tone of the movie. Definitely a shocking scene, but one that is done extremely well.
>>
>>140587109
What a waste of time. You're a moron and you don't understand film, animation, literature, really any form of art or culture.
>>
>>140587109
Fuck this character limit.It's the weekend and I have to argue online about an anime I don't even really like.

Since none of us agree on anything and this is just a waste of time. I'll just say this.

1. A character dying isn't a gimmick. Filling the screen with nonsensical visuals just to be cool is a gimmick and to deny that would be wrong. I don't know how else to say it, it's wrong. Your definition of gimmick is "I'll trivialize a part of the story and describe it in a condescending way". But anyone can do that with any story, so it doesn't really prove or mean anything. (as I demonstrated)

Meanwhile, MY point is supported with facts. The creator of Eva said the religious bullshit was a gimmick. Hell, you even admitted it.

Gunbuster is a straightforward, simple show with a lot of character development and emotion. It didn't need "LOOK HOW SHOCKING WE ARE! PLEASE BE SHOCKED!" to be memorable.

And besides, why does references make a show good? Spongebob Squarepants had references. Batman vs Superman had religious references (which even make sense in its context). Doesn't mean those are good.

2. The statement of "people rejected _____ because I said so" is straight up false unless you have proof. How would you or I know if people rejected Evangelion's pretense or atmosphere. Answer: We don't.

But we can make an educated guess on why people liked Gunbuster. It was accessible, it was short, it had a cute girl (fanservice), it had mechs, all that while still being meaningful and easy to understand. The narrative isn't covered with unnecessary shit to try to make it deeper than it looks. No gimmicks, just a good story with a good ending (way better than Eva's to me)

3. In conclusion, Eva was gimmicky as confirmed by you and the creator. Gunbuster wasn't. An uninteresting core plot, predictable characters, redundant events, don't make a good story just because you throw in some religious shit. Disagree with that or don't. It's up to you.
>>
>>140587709
You're a moron for not recognizing shitpost when you see one.
>>
>>140587864
You're right, I'm just looking for reasons to get mad
>>
>>140587109
>>140587568
>Ikari being a dick to Shinji
>Wow, I guess I have to feel sorry for Shinji now. Since he was just a normal boy but we have to make him fight monsters and his robot is his mom (just because, totally not deliberate at all)
Ikari being a dick is part of his character. He has very clear reasons for being a dick. This is still somewhat "gimmicky," but it's fine as an excuse to get the character into the action of the story.

>generic beta male MC meets obligatory tsundere and obligatory silent girl to have obligatory awkward scenes
>Then again Eva straight up tells you it's "fanservice". I mean it's self-aware but that doesn't change the fact that it's a gimmick.
Everyone else started copying this trend from Eva, not the other way around.

>"Asuka gets wrecked and Shinji doesn't help"
>Again, what does this prove? We already know Shinji, he's been the same predictable character the whole way through. How is this anything new? It's just redundant.
In EoE? That was Asuka's scene more than anything, Shinji was actually unable to do anything in that situation. Also one of the best choreographed fight scenes of all time.

>Misato dies, Shinji cries
>Totally a necessary death, not manipulative bullshit whatsoever. Again, it's just redundant. Bad things happen, Shinji cries. We already know all this, we already expect all of this. Why is being redundant good? Why is being predictable good?
Misato dies because of Shinji's inability to act. It is mostly just repeating what we already know but that's not really a problem. Misato's death isn't contrived, though it is clearly meant to develop Shinji's character.

>Asuka chokes Shinji, proceed with trippy visuals
>"We're so avante garde!" Look how deep we are! Those internet guys are gonna love this! By the way, the symbolisms mean nothing but hey let's just pretend
Those symbols weren't meant to be meaningless, you idiot. In fact, the purpose was very, very clear.
>>
>>140587845
>In conclusion, Eva was gimmicky as confirmed by you and the creator. Gunbuster wasn't.
>>140586480
>>
>>140588087
>When someone type like this, I automatically kinda think less of them.
When someone type like this, I automatically kinda think less of them.
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.