[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cowboy Bebop Movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
Keanu Reeves was actually attached to be Spike.
And they wrote a script and I actually met him in an airport a couple of years ago.
The fans kinda went "Argh, we don't know if that's going to work out," and Spike is a very different kind of character.
And based on the history of anime going into feature films it hasn't gone very well.
So fans were really, really hesitant if anyone was going to take it, much less Keanu Reeves.
[...]
I met him in an airport, and first of all, the dude is really tall, and he's really thin and he's got the body type right away, he can do the physicality of Spike.
First of all that was striking, and then secondly, I went up to him kinda like a little fanboy and I said, "Dude, I'm not completely geeking-out on you but I have to tell you that the fans have been talking about this for a long time and I just wanted to get your perspective on it."
And so I asked him, I introduced myself, he was really sweet, he goes, "Dude I wanted to meet you. I've heard about you, I've watched all the episodes, I'm actually really into the show."
He said that he was very invested in it.
I believe that he would do a really great job.
He's an awesome guy.
And he said the script was written, it was fantastic but it would have cost a half a billion dollars to make, and he was worried that by the time it did get greenlit that he may not be able to do his own stunts.
And he really wanted to do that for this.
There's alot of martial arts involved, and it's a specific kind of martial arts.
If it does get greenlit then it would be fun to see, I'd be very interested to see what he would do.

-Steve Blum

[ http://www.vobuzzweekly.com/episodes/94/84/Steve-Blum-PT2-EP90.html ]
>>
After Wick, that's really a shame.
>>
>>140252157
What could have been.
>>
>>140252157
>Keanu Reeves was actually attached to be Spike.
I'm actually OK with this.
>>
>>140252268
Yeah, I kind of felt like John Wick was sort of a Hollywood-style Bebop. The episode's femme fatale even meets a tragic fate, while Jet is changed into the informant at the bar rather than being the knowledgeable partner.
>>
A cowboy bebop live action movie would suck. The anime doesn't have a plot, it's just characters' stories, and if the movie focuses on one character for an hour or more, it'll be like a too-long episode. The episodes varied between action and development, too, so the movie would be a jumbled mess that wants to be both action and development but fails at each one. Plus, this is modern Hollywood. They're only going to go the Titanic route: getting actors and a dog and CGI (or models) that look the part, but completely fucking up the characters and everything else. And if the video game and the move didn't succeed, neither will a live action movie.
>>
File: 1398739337435.png (560 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1398739337435.png
560 KB, 960x720
Bmuping with some Pippu.
>>
File: 1395348175649.jpg (221 KB, 1035x668) Image search: [Google]
1395348175649.jpg
221 KB, 1035x668
>>
>>140252157
>And he said the script was written, it was fantastic but it would have cost a half a billion dollars to make
>half a billion dollars to make

Ok, who told Reeves this, because this sounds like the hottest amount of shit I've heard. Because I'm curious about this, let me check up on some other budgets for LA anime movies from Hollywood:
>Dragonball Evolution: $30 million
>Speed Racer: $120 million
>All You Need Is Kill: $178 million

These are films that I can think of from recent memory that were Hollywood-made, and the most expensive ones to make were Edge and Speed, because I'm sure that can be tacked up to all the special effects that were in them.

But in what fucking universe would it take 500 Million to make a LA Cowboy Bebop movie? What I'm getting from this is not are only the suits who run Hollywood completely out of touch with reality, but they also have no brains when it comes to managing money. Good to know.
>>
>>140255843
>What I'm getting from this is not are only the suits who run Hollywood completely out of touch with reality, but they also have no brains when it comes to managing money.
That's what I'm thinking too. They just hear the word, "space" and they think Star Wars and they think it will cost a shit-ton of money.
>>
>more whities playing japanese people

lmao
>>
>>140252157

>he fans kinda went "Argh, we don't know if that's going to work out," and Spike is a very different kind of character.
Funny. Because that's exactly what happened when Steve Blum voiced Spike. He became a completely different character.
>>
>>140256153
>more anime fans assuming characters that look like white people should be played by Japanese people despite the far higher population density of capable white fans that could do a better job than any Japanese actor would
Go back to /jp/
>>
>>140258584
White actors that are also fans***
>>
>>140258584

Spike was born on Mars and they never tell you his ethnicity. If anything, his name and physical features suggests he would be Eastern European. But yet he knows eastern martial arts, sits on the floor constantly, eats Ramen, quotes Buddha and joined the equivalent of a space triad. ts stupid for people to assume he's 'white' just because he wears a suit. A pretty gaudy blue/purple suit at that.
>>
>>140258809
He's most likely mixed since in the future,especially on mars cultures would clash and new ethnic identities would form on the planet.
That being said Keanu is one of the few actors I think could pull off anime right,the other I can think of at the moment is Depp
>>
>>140256153
>Spike
>Japanese
>>
File: 1459047500698.gif (393 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1459047500698.gif
393 KB, 500x375
>Spike Spiegel
sounds like a jew to me
>>
>>140256153
>lmao
>>
>>140258809
Regardless, its a pretty cool coat
>>
>>140260291
Suit
>>
>>140259932

>That being said Keanu is one of the few actors I think could pull off anime right,the other I can think of at the moment is Depp
Be honest. Those are just the only actors you know.

That aside, its pointless to speculate any actor. No live action actor is going to be able to portray an animated character accurately. Let alone that people will be expecting someone to portray their mental imafe of Steve Blum's voice, who himself is an alteration of the original Japanese character.

Its like trying to remake Star Wars based on the Japanese voice for Darth Vader, while also expecting it to be exactly the same as the original movie.
>>
>It is stated in the special features accompanying Cowboy Bebop The Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door that Spike's appearance is modeled after the late Japanese actor, Yusaku Matsuda especially as he appears in his famous role in Tantei Monogatari.
>>
>>140258809

>ts stupid for people to assume he's 'white' just because he wears a suit. A pretty gaudy blue/purple suit at that.
You're right. He sounds Persian. Just needs a lot of added bling.
>>
>>140260534
>modeled after
Keanu Reaves looks much more like Spike than Matsuda does.
>>
>>140261007
Friend, come on, you know thats just not true.
>>
>>140261007

>Keanu Reeves looks like what I think Spike looks like in my head
Ah dubfags...
>>
>>140261277
Well I'm not going to get into an extensive argument with you because you found one shot where the actor that the character is modeled around resembles the character himself. Obviously that's want to happen, otherwise it would have just been poor work on the creators part, which I assume we all agree was not the case. I think there are several things about the actor Spikes character is modeled after that you completely disregard in your attempt to compare him to the character though. Things that casual viewers with weak imaginations, would struggle to get past if someone that resembled Matsuda rather than Reaves were to play Spike.
>>
>>140252580
They could easily do a prequel.
>>
File: japanesemovement.jpg (308 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
japanesemovement.jpg
308 KB, 1224x1632
Whoa
>>
>>140262242
The problem with doing a Bebop Prequel is the fact that the anime is about the crew. Bebop isn't Spike's Anime. It isn't Jet's Anime. It isn't Faye or Ed's Anime. The essence of the show still revolves around the crew.

The only reason why The Real Folk Blues was so far removed from the other characters is the fact that it was the idicator that the series was over. When the series is done it is no longer about the characters interacting because there isn't any interaction. Without the Bebop Crew, there is no Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>140255843

Just look at force awakens. Even if the script is mediocre as hell, if it's in space and attached to something popular or "classic" it will get lots of money for SFX
>>
>>140261218

from the thumbnail, I thought that was a scene from Bill & Ted
>>
>>140262463
I agree
>>
>>140252580
I think the best thing to do would be 3 movies, the first based on them all getting together with some backstory, the second based on the movie and the third being the Real Folk Blues. Problem is you'd miss out on a lot of great stuff.
>>
File: 1360903236134.png (23 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
1360903236134.png
23 KB, 207x239
>>140256153
>Spike
>Japanese
>>
>>140260376
You're right, but somehow I doubt having a gook play him instead would be that much of an improvement.
>>
>>140256153
>Not only is Spike not Japanese, Reeves is Eurasian
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.