[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This show is a tonal mess, contrived as fuck and subtle as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: Monster_Guillermo-del-toro.jpg (41 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
Monster_Guillermo-del-toro.jpg
41 KB, 600x480
This show is a tonal mess, contrived as fuck and subtle as a brick. Even Death Note was better.
>>
(You)
>>
>>140208372
I agree anon.
>>
>>140208638
Death Note has the advantage of not taking itself seriously. Urasawa can't write a thriller for shit.
>>
Gurren Lagann, not so good
>>
Planetes, as empty as space.
>>
>>140208815
>of not taking itself seriously
That's why all the buildup isn't certain human vs society but certain human vs certain human that was killed halfway. Take of your nostalgia googles. It's bad written just as well.
>>
File: billy-bat-4448611.jpg (176 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
billy-bat-4448611.jpg
176 KB, 800x1188
i liked it. Urasawa is a great story teller.
>>
File: thinker.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
thinker.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>140208372
Death Note is truly better.

>>140209000
wasted trips dense cunt
>>
>>140208372
now let's not go that far
>>
>>140209000
Well it's not a psychological horror anime that turns into the fugitive ripoff with like 600 characters that also explores the human condition?
>>
>>140208815
>Death Note has the advantage of not taking itself seriously
lel
>>
Transcript taken from and interview with Tsugumi Ohba (Creator of Death Note)
What is your stance on justice? Do people have the right to take another life in the name of justice?
I did not put much deep thought into subjects like “life and death” or “justice and evil”.
I wrote the story hoping that it would be good entertainment.
>>
No, it's a bit better than Death Note
>contrived as fuck and subtle as a brick
Lol you are stupid

4chan really has shit taste
>>
Which is ironic because Light does have some depth at the end of the show.
>>
>>140208372

I loved this show, and yet I somewhat agree with you. It was pretentious garbage at times. False depth galore. Death Note's saving grace was being paced far better and otherwise being more entertaining, despite being almost as pretentious.

All that said, the cast was truly amazing. Far, far more balanced than Death Note in that sense.

Considering that most anime and manga is complete garbage, I'd say they were both pretty high tier. Not the best anime, but so far above average that it's sad.

At least it wasn't Elfen Lied bad. Yikes that was just nauseating and embarrassing. No amount of teenage edge could have made me like that shit.
>>
>>140209347
Lol. Tbh I agree with you senpai
>>
>>140208372
Yep, it genuinely is overrated garbage. People like it because they are desperate for anime that feels mature to them, and from the first few episodes you get the impression that it might really be that. But it's handling of moral issues ends up being so childish and its drama so soap opera like that you end up continuing simply because of how it looks and the overall impression it gives off.
>>
>>140209488
Good post. I'd say Death Note's fanbase is far more pretentious than its creator and that's why it sold so well.
>>
>>140209626
The best anime I've watched have been high concept philosophical shit like Evangelion and Wolf's rain, anything more realistic than that and it falls flat on its face.
>>
>>140208372
Flowers of Evil was worse in terms of being a pretentious mess to the point that it was comical.
>>
>>140209987
Eva is as real as it gets
>>
>>140210146
Aku no Hana is just shit. Shuzo needs to outgrow his inner sixteen-year-old.
>>
>>140208372
It was way too long and boring.

Like damn, they didn't need some of the filler from the first 20 episodes, what was the fucking point of that hitch hiking episode?
>>
>>140208815
>Urasawa can't write a thriller for shit
But
> tonal mess, contrived as fuck and subtle as a brick
describes most thrillers people consider to be good, like Silence of The Lambs or Se7en.
>>
Every anime mentioned in this thread is pretentious
>>
>>140211185
the manga was a guilty pleasure desu, but yes it's shit. And that psycho girl was legit scary at times, but yeah it's pretty awful.
>>
>>140211224
That's a stretch
>>
>>140211224
Silence of The Lambs is much better than Monster. Se7en isn't that great though.
>>
>>140211464
>Silence of The Lambs
Is complete shit.
The only good thing involving Hannibal Lecter was Red Dragon novel and Manhunter.
>>
>>140211495
The Fugitive is a better movie than Monster.
>>
>>140211571
They're both shit.
>>
>>140210810
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77y2lD8i2PU
>>
>>140208372
>The same thread. The same poster every week.
>>
>>140211700
This gets shit on weekly?
>>
>>140211928
Yeah. The SAME fucking thread. Always.
>>
In all seriousness, Urasawa's strength is connecting multiple plotlines and fleshing out his characters. He sucks dick at endings, also Johann was such a fucking villain sue. Great show regardless, made me care for a protaganist like Tenma who I thought'd be boring desu. Lunge is the fucking goat tho
>>
>>140212036
You can connect and flesh out anything in 70 episodes
>>
File: monster-v11c01p29.png (179 KB, 740x1100) Image search: [Google]
monster-v11c01p29.png
179 KB, 740x1100
>>140212036
>Urasawa's strength is connecting multiple plotlines and fleshing out his characters.
Definitely. He is really fucking good at weaving together a story with large scope even if he struggles to wrap it up well. There are so many settings, characters and plotlines that he manages to connect in a coherent story, and he ensures everything you see becomes plot relevant. He's also great at creating tension. When you really think about it, Johan's character was nonsensical, but the atmosphere around him was so great that you can't help but feel some legit fear over his presence or lack thereof.

My favourite Urasawa story is Billy Bat because it gives me extra thrills whenever he introduces some historical even or person that we already know, it's like double the plot twist and it always gets me.
>>
>>140212685
Agreed, and I liked Johann don't get me wrong. He was just comically OP in his universe, and it got annoying at times how ahead he is of everyone every step of the way.

What do ppl think of 20th CB? I started it recently and still in the early volumes but this shit is intriguing af. I heard the latter half is a let down tho
>>
>>140212911
>What do ppl think of 20th CB?
The ending sucks. Enjoy the ride.
>>
>>140212911
Yeah it falls apart at the end, I think Monster's end was a lot better so take that as you will.
>>
>>140212685
Billy Bat is bad IMO, simply because the story is a mess and I don't even see the point of continuing it

20th Century Boy on the other hand is superb
>>
At least it's better than that piece of trash called 20th Century Boy's.
>>
>>140213442
lol wut
>>
>>140208372
Shit the bed after the library fire.
>No Tenma you mustn't kill
>No Nina YOU mustn't kill

Jesus Christ
>>
>>140213598
NO KILL rules for characters are cancer, this reminds me of when Batman refuses to kill the joker even though it'd be in his best interest too. And the only reason he doesn't is cause joker is uber popular and people cant accept him dying, so they make some dumb excuse.
>>
>>140213882
This is why I loved The Incredibles.
>>
>>140213882
>>>/co/
Fuck off
>>
>>140213957
He could've used a /a/ relevant example.but everyone knows about the batman example he gave,even if you are not /co/.
>>
>>140214118
This thread is shit anyway.
>>
>>140213957
lol no, suck a dick. Everyone knows batman, that's why I used that example. He also probably has the dumbest reason out of every character not to kill, I can at least understand spiderman and to a lesser extent superman. But for scum like joker it's such a no brainer
>>
>>140214488
>lol
At least try to not look like newfag faggot
>>
>>140214524
no
>>
>>140208372
Did you just mean "ITT, overrated shit", OP?
>>
>>140212911
The ending of 20cb is kinda odd but frankly the ride is worth it.
>>
Did the anime seem so pretentious? I recall the manga being quite good, it didn't have rooms for too much pretentiousness, it was mostly a complex plot with a bunch of themes, some of which interesting, in the background.
>>
>>140214896
Yeah, why are people calling this pretentious? I could only think of maybe the whole connecting Johan to the antichrist rly, but I dont get how this is pretentious at all.
>>
>>140208372
>OP is a newfag
>>
>>140211201
Yeah this, it genuinely hurt to force myself to finish this crap and I won't be watching it again.
>>
>>140216036
Well they adapted too much from the manga, there the "fillers", that is, subplots, weren't that tiresome
>>
>>140208372
They hyped up Johan and his past so much and in the end it was so simple and boring. Really disappointing.
>>
Someone please explain to me the plot of Billy Bat.
>>
>>140213442
Urg. 20th Century Boys. What a slog reading that was. The manga just dragged on and on. I mean it had some interesting ideas, nice art, even decent characters, but damn. A good editor would've cut it down to a tight 100-150 chapters and it would've been vastly improved.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.