[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a waste of fucking time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: ohzqokwlg0iuhnhd2dpv.jpg (266 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
ohzqokwlg0iuhnhd2dpv.jpg
266 KB, 1600x1000
What a waste of fucking time.
>>
I agree. First half has decent, but timeloops are bland 90% of the time. this is no exception.
>>
>>140044672
It was good. Head and shoulders above anything else airing right now.
>>
>>140044731
Everybody shits their pants over the first half being "boring" but it really was the best part imo, much more bearable than the forced drama that came in the last 12 eps.
>>
>>140044737
>Head and shoulders above anything else airing right now.
This is a really weak metric.
>>140044772
>forced
Please stop this.
Look, everything that is written is by definition "forced." What you mean is inorganic.
I agree
>>
>>140044848
You don't even have a metric, shit taste-kun.
>>
>>140044672
>What a waste of fucking time
Fuck off, Okabe.
>>
>>140044920
I do actually, but it's probably too involved for you.

It also doesn't pander to your plotfag sensibilities so it's doubtful you, let alone the crippling majority of this board, would be able to comprehend it anyways.

>inb4 fedora
Oh, but you want to post it, don't you?
>>
>>140045026
Try me (you won't).
>>
>>140045026
What the hell is a plotfag?
>>
I really liked it

9/10 adaption of a 9/10 VN

Some scenes were even better, like the rooftop scene and the SERN break in
>>
>>140045077
>you won't

40% of a show's raw score is allocated to visuals. If a show looks good, and doesn't have lazy cinematography, it'll do well here. Note that this is weighted the strongest.

20% goes to acting. There is some slight bleed between this and animation pertaining to characters. Still significant enough to be its own category.

15% is editing. A shit story can look be incredibly well done if it has a competent staff knowing how to use scene transitions, pacing (yes, it's actually a thing), and general trimming of fat to make sure the story has a good focus on its tone and themes.

10% goes to music. This can really help make up lost points in acting or visuals, but if a soundtrack is bad it generally won't effect the overall work in a significantly negative way.

The final 15%, writing, is divided into two parts:
10% for characters. A likeable cast can provide an excuse to keep watching what might just be a bland and average show.
5% plot. If you're watching a show for the expressed plot, e.g., garbage expository nonsense and insipid jargon, you're doing t wrong.

Now, as a caveat, certain times any of these categories might have some particularly outstanding elements which could then exceed the normal points allocated. Of course this is rare.

Please feel free to use my "scorecard" if you so like.

Stein's;Gate got around a 60% in my book. It suffers from extremely poor editing, not talking about the pacing actually, but rather the general lack of urgency that the show fails to impart on the viewer. The story tells you the stakes are high, but what's shown is not in line with that, thus weakening the thematic development.
>>
>>140045784
>set up meaningless arbitrary metric that a priori prevents certain anime from being highly rated
>thinks he can give a fair criticism

Embarrassing post overall.
>>
>>140044672
I don't have a carlos with me, fuck.
>>
>>140045784
This rating system is dumb. Good writing can make an ugly show great, it's not fair that you're saying the opposite.
>>
>>140045784
I really hope you aren't actually doing this.
>>
>>140045784
Holy fuck this is terrible.
>>
>>140045905
>prevents certain anime from being highly rated
Actually, I made a conceit for that.
>>140045978
>>140046006
>>140046028
Figures
>>
>>140045784
>Now, as a caveat, certain times any of these categories might have some particularly outstanding elements which could then exceed the normal points allocated. Of course this is rare.
Good job invalidating your whole system.
>>
>>140046083
>Figures
Yeah, it figures that people wouldn't like your retarded autism of a system.
>>
>>140045784
You write reviews, don't you?
>>
>>140046085
Hardly. A metric, which is the term I used, is just a standard. Things are weighed against this standard, but occasionally are off the mark. Take thermometers for example. A factory manufactures them to be within certain degrees of accuracy from the standard. It follows then, that some thermometers are further away from this accepted standard than others. It doesn't invalidate my metric, just compensates for outliers.

>>140046230
No. Nor would I like to.
>>
>>140045784
>general lack of urgency that the show fails to impart on the viewer. The story tells you the stakes are high, but what's shown is not in line with that
Well the fact that the main character can time travel, plus the fact that the main antagonistic force is a shadow society means that the tension is always going to be beneath the surface and ever-present rather than in-your-face. If you're expecting shit like a bomb going of in a subway then you're expecting the wrong things. And characters did get murdered so it's not like the stakes weren't being shown. The point was that the character was fighting a shadow-organization in line with his chuuni delusions, and if anything went wrong then he can move back to a safer point, so the urgency will always go back down only to build back up again. I don't know what else you could have expected.
>>
t. Okabe Rintarou
>>
I like Umineko and Cross Channel better, and they have similar concepts.

It felt like Okabe was the only character who really changed, the others just felt pretty static. That might even be the point, but it made the story have less of an impact on me in the long run.
>>
>>140045784
This seems pretty legit
>>
>>140046355
See, the issue here is that you're not measuring some external thing, you're talking about how much you enjoyed the show. You don't need a device to measure that, you have immediate access to it. All that bullshit is silly, and doubly so since it somehow manages to be subpar at measuring something that you literally already know.
>>
>>140045784
Autism on all his glory.
sasuga, /a/
>>
File: image.png (473 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.png
473 KB, 800x450
I can't believe it guys

I can't believe it

They actually did it

They made an anime about Reddit

Holy shit
>>
>>140046392
> if anything went wrong then he can move back to a safer point
That's my point. If they had somehow managed to condense the several episodes where he's just paling around, it would've remained more focused. Now, maybe that would weaken its strength as a pretty good adaptation, but I wanna watch the show, not retread a VN. That didn't factor into my score, just the lack of urgency hurt it. The episode that had all the montages of Mayurii dying repeatedly was great, but after that it sorta meandered for about 6 episodes.

>>140046502
Well, this scale has very little to do with how much I enjoy a show. Although, if it scores high in visuals, I'll probably like it. I'm currently winding my way through Tokyo Ghoul, and while some of the 3DCG is disappointing, the show looks very good. The music is pretty bland, I can't stand about 80% of the cast, but the editing is top notch. The staff is able to eke out a ton of content in every single episode and that's very impressive, especially factoring in the size of the ensemble. Considering how with most shows you feel like you've only been watching for 15 out of the ~23 minutes an episode provides, it's not a small feat.
>>
>>140046502
>>140046908
My point is, despite all the negatives going for it, Tokyo Ghoul isn't truly that good, but I'm enjoying myself while I make my way through it.
>>
>>140046908
But that's the point of a time-travel story. There's not a physical urgency of danger, but there's the psychological dread of knowing some unfortunate event is going to happen no matter how hard you try to stop it, even with all the knowledge you've acquired through the loops.
>>
>>140045784
L I T E R A L L Y A U T I S M

but i agree with you that these should all be accounted for when assessing chinese cartoons
>>
>>140045784
Holy shit, you couldn't just watch the show without using your autistic "scorecard"?
>>
>>140047075
I know, but the show takes to long to reach its climax. Instead, the impact of catharsis is diffused over the interceding episodes in the lead up to it.

That dread was fully there during that montage stuff I mentioned, it just fizzles between that point and the end.

>>140047223
>Just turn your brain off, man!
>>
File: timetravelmeme.jpg (124 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
timetravelmeme.jpg
124 KB, 640x640
Was a glorious, hilarious, and intense waste of fucking time might I add.
>>
>>140047359
Pure autism
>>
>>140045784
Is this a copypasta?
>>
>>140047359
I agree that the episodes where he had to undo all the dmails were slow and anticlimactic, but they were necessary. They were there to show that Okabe had to destroy the dreams of his closest friends and the memories they shared in order to save Mayuri, and to reinforce the main theme of the story that memories are precious and shouldn't be cast aside.
>>
>>140047585
It is now I hope
>>
>>140047735
They also serve to set up for the routes of the individual girls in the original VN, but that's not important in this context.
>>
>>140047735
>they were necessary
Sure, but I feel that the first half of the series already set the downer stuff up nicely. Perhaps, if they had taken a bit more liberty and spent more time before shit hit the fan exploring what those characters desires, it would've allowed for the domino fall to be more poignant.
>>
>>140047904
But their dmails already showed what they desired most. Fayris wanted to see her father again, Luka wanted Okabe to reciprocate his feelings for him, Moeka wanted to help the only person who cared about her, and Okabe just wanted to have friends. The time machine was able to grant all these, but ended up biting them in the ass in the long run because of how reckless they were with it. Okabe undoing all of the dmails also helped provide some closure for them. Fayris got to say goodbye to her father, and Luka was able to accept that Okabe would never be able to reciprocate his feelings in the way he wanted. Granted, they fucked up the closure Moeka got by changing how Chapter 9 played out, which is one of the biggest editing flaws of the show. However, because they had to change the past, they lost their memories of these events. That all builds up the ending of the story, because Okabe finally gets the closure that all the other characters got, and we learn that everyone has Reading Steiner, so the memories he made and the closure he gave his friends wasn't meaningless.
>>
>>140048874
I can dig, it, I just think it could've been done better.
>>
>>140044672
Why?
>>
File: 1434352609257.gif (510 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1434352609257.gif
510 KB, 300x300
>>140044672
>waste of time
technically this is correct
>>
>>140044672
The ending was a cop-out, Okabe's plot convenience ability is bullshit, their time machine itself is bullshit, and the second half makes it really obvious this was a VN.

However, it does two things well:

1. Dem feelz, such drama
2. Character banter

You could seriously stick the two leads in any situation, with Daru in the background as comic relief, and it would be entertaining.
>>
>>140051760
Look forward to Zero, which nullifies some of your complaints and has even more of the two things you just mentioned.
>>
>>140047795
I agree, somebody needs to save this. /a/utisim like this should be preserved and protected for future generations.
>>
>>140051760
This. He should have been forced to choose who dies between dududu and best grill
>>
>>140051760
Okabe deserves the ending he got after the shit he goes through in Zero.
>>
>>140045784
Don't let a possible scorecard meme go to waste /a/
>>
>>140051951
He deserves to have a permanent consequence for fucking with timelines.
>>
>>140052733
Him not fucking with timelines causes WW III though.
>>
>>140052779
Him fucking with timelines caused WW III in the first place, even if it was inadvertent.

>>140052097
How do we capitalize on this, dank-san.
>>
>>140052836
Nakabachi would have killed Kurisu if he hadn't time travelled anyways, which leads to him stealing the paper and causing WWIII.
>>
>>140052836
He was on the worldline for WWIII in the first place, only way to even attempt to avoid it is to fuck with the timelines.
>>
>>140044672
I see what you did there.
>>
>>140052942
>>140052982
Oh right, the metal toy thing. Sorry it's been like 2 years
>>
>>140052733
Should I just say it already?
Zero takes place from the perspective of the Okabe that sends that video mail from the future telling Okabe to trick his past self to save Kurisu. It sheds a bunch of new light on the nature of the ending and makes it feel like less of a deus ex machina. Also, twice the suffering and twice the banter.
>>
>>140045784
>40% visuals
>5% plot
A good story can save a show even if everything else is mediocre at best. This score system is severely flawed.
>>
>>140053262
>twice the suffering and twice the banter.
I'd say that's not quite accurate.
The suffering he's facing here is different, and there isn't much banter from Okabe.
>>
File: breaking-news.png (288 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news.png
288 KB, 640x360
>>140046815
>>
ITT: Wow Steins;Gate, how come Chiyomaru lets you have TWO Vns?
>>
>>140053262
No, actually there was a shit ton of okabes who lived, died again and again in hope that one "day" someone complete the plan
>>
>>140055390
I know.
Zero just highlights 6 of them, including the one that sends the mail.
>>
>muh d4rk end is b3st i luv sufring im emo
Guys, don't be fucking redditards.
And saying that a plot is bullshit because "muh hero ability" is pretty much like saying that every story ever made was shit.
If we take that literally then Shining is shit, every Asimov novels are shit, comics are shit, animation is general in shit.
Don't act like an elitism when you're just a newfag reaching the rebel phase.
Grow up plz.
>>
>>140055760
>If we take that literally then Shining is shit, every Asimov novels are shit, comics are shit, animation
>genre trash
>genre trash
>pulp garbage
>kids' waste
>>
>>140056192
What's good then ? Tomato Market?
>>
>>140056374
Literally anything by Bones.
>>
>>140056480
But they worked on Batman: Gotham Knight, and comics are shit, so...
>>
>>140056643
They transcend genres with their mastery of the animated crafts.
>>
>>140056790
Fucking transgenrer, imposing their kinks on everyones
>>
>>140044672
shit taste
>>
Okabe and Kurisu a best
>>
File: 1439785646626.png (283 KB, 380x480) Image search: [Google]
1439785646626.png
283 KB, 380x480
Rintaro Okabe falls in love with a Moeka Kiryu.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by an IBN 5100 with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, the mad scientist immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the part-time editor, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, Moeka doesn't exist in this timeline at all. She is the girl's counterpart from another world line, who has fallen in love with Rintaro's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LONELINESS.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.