[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think japan should start printing colored manga? It was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
Do you think japan should start printing colored manga? It was necessary to be black and white before but nowadays it can be done even if it is printed after the original release. Or do you think the fanbase is already too used to black and white and they would reject it? Do you think color could make a manga experience better? Do you think it would be too similar to western comics? Let's discuss
>>
What's wrong with black and white?
>>
>>139981918
what's wrong with color?
>>
>>139982033
Nothing, but I'm not the one asking about changing the status quo.
>>
File: 0698-018 (1).jpg (507 KB, 1520x1200) Image search: [Google]
0698-018 (1).jpg
507 KB, 1520x1200
>>139982113
Well color adds another dimension to a page
of course not every manga should be in color much like every movie isn't, but I feel like it is a tool being neglected in manga
>>
>>139982197
I think the number of "dimensions" you want to have is arbitrary.
Text, drawing, color, audio, animation, 3D, smell-o-rama, whatever.
You can have as few or as many as you want.

You can't really argue that adding one is objectively better.
>>
>>139982320
this is why I don't think every manga would benefit from it
But Shounen jump like series and SOL would be greatly improved by it
But I also think that Vagabond, Berserk and Horror manga wouldn't
>>
WSJ colorizes some series every week.
It helps with telling characters apart in some panels and gives a better sense of the setting they're in.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 1920x1080
>>139981852
These are weekly phone books of comics. They're really thick, and they pump four out in a month. Adding color would dip heavily into costs regarding printing, and would also add to the workload of the mangaka, potentially affecting the stories.
>>
>>139981852
I prefer black-and-white, honestly. Not that color can't be used well (Fakku runs one non-H all-color magazine and I like the stuff in there), but I don't think it needs to be added to manga in general, it'd really change the game for a lot of series and how artists approach it aesthetically (I can't even imagine a colored Kuroda Iou manga, for example), not to mention compounding the work they'd have to do.
>>
>>139982684
>Fakku
Wani, I meant.
>>
File: mangaka-schedule.jpg (172 KB, 961x529) Image search: [Google]
mangaka-schedule.jpg
172 KB, 961x529
>mangaka-san we are now doing color pages

JUST
>>
>>139982974
he doesn't need to do the colors every page
he just need to do a character sheet once and let a team color it for him
>>
>>139982974
>8.5 hour average
He's getting way too much sleep, color pages could fix that.
>>
>>139982974
What's "Paranormal View"?
>>
>>139983075
But that's just drawing a black-and-white manga and then having some people color it at their discretion. Like, all your shading and black/white contrast and everything don't translate that simply to color, you can't remove the author from the process and expect the final product to convey his intentions.
>>
>>139983075
>>139981852
Out of the hundreds of publishing companies throughout the decades they probably have tried color. But it probably didn't raise sales to justify the extra hands and printing costs. One of the selling points of anthologies like shonen jump is getting a phone book worth of comics for cheap.

popular manga like DB have been release in color but at a premium
>>
>>139982654
It can be done by a third party for an special edition and later release.
>>
>>139983400
Then you have >>139983170
Only the mangaka and the assistants can really get the colors down, and even then they might already be busy with continuing the manga.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.