[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why exactly do people complain about kabalic elements being used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Sachiel_Explosion_original.png (199 KB, 712x480) Image search: [Google]
Sachiel_Explosion_original.png
199 KB, 712x480
Why exactly do people complain about kabalic elements being used in Eva for aesthetic purposes and not being the central thematic point? They're part of the setting not the themes themselves. Nobody complains about the use of other aesthetic elements like the surreal looking aliens or mecha that are actually the clones of a 4-billion year old entity or the pluigsuit designs.

It's kind of like complaining that Tolkien used elements of norse and finnish mythology in his works. Is that also pretentious? No, it's world-building.
>>
>>139771612
As someone who actually hates Eva, I honestly don't know. The religious and symbolic elements are some of the most well handled elements of the show, it's the characters and writing that are actually over praised.
>>
Because people who don't understand Eva ironically latch onto the simplest part of the show to complain about how it's "2deep4me"
You're right about how it's just part of the setting. There's no central theme that comes from putting some imagery reminiscent of Jesus' crucifixion, it just makes Eva's mythos feel more important
>>
>>139773158
How do you not understand Eva? Even the TV ending made sense despite being a letdown.
>>
>>139773158
OP here and yeah, I mean I don't think it's just aesthetic. The imagery does invoke an atmosphere and certain emotional response that strengthens the experience. But the central themes of the show are escapism and human relations, not religion.
>>
>>139771612

Because it does not represent the one true God
>>
>>139771612
people in general are extremely insecure about their tastes and afraid to support anything which may be only "pretending" to have meaning

people also don't know what the fuck symbolism is and also think in black and white, so when they begin to conflate the religious imagery and the actual symbolism in eva, they get confused and just condemn everything overall.

basically anyone who complains about the religious imagery is just looking for a reason to justify their opinion. really they're being more pretentious than evangelion is
>>
File: 1457294562493.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457294562493.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>139771612
Because there are newfags who think that's the main, actual deep symbolism in Eva, and boy, they're being so stubborn about it.
>>
that's very simple: cocks
>>
You get a lot of people making the images out to be WAY deeper than they are which leads to shit like Evageeks which leads to more new fans thinking Eva is just SO DEEP FOR THEM instead of just being a good story with well-used imagery
>>
>>139771612
Nowadays people have a pretty dumb understanding of what makes stuff deep.

To them, in order to be deep a show or movie needs to have some sort of in your face plot twist or mindfuck.

Inception
>Oh shit, it's a dream within another dream within a dream? Wow that's so fucking deep.

Madoka Spoilers
>Shit she can time travel? Wow it all makes sense now. Didn't see that one comming. That's really deep.

And it goes on and on. I don't even mean to discredit these things, but I often get the impression that in order to make people think something is deep it absolutely needs to have these sort of things.

Evangelion has some of those things, but they aren't handled in a way that makes them feel like a "this changes everything" kind of thing. So with all these 2deep4u memes, people go into watching Evangelion being curious to see what all this fuss is all about.

Then they watch Evangelion. Everything is pretty normal except the protagonist isn't all that heroic and eventually the plot goes nuts. No flashy backgrounds like Madoka and no 2deep4u clash of ideals like in any Fate;Whatever series and the series ends with Shinji learning that it's possible to love himself.

>Wait, that's it? Where was the insane plot twist? The characters weren't even cool, what the fuck? I didn't even understand what was happening in the end, everything just went to shit. Is it because of the religious symbolism that people think it's deep? Wow, that's so stupid. Evafags are so dumb and their favorite show is boring.

And that's why they end up disliking it.
>>
>>139774833
anyone over 18 should know the true deepness of eva
https://youtu.be/DCtEjnfSGa4
>>
>>139773312
Yeah that's what I meant. It's by no means pointless, there's just much more to the story and the religious symbolism is relatively small in comparison to other things, at least until EoE and unit-01 gets crucified
>>
>>139775476
I still can't figure out how i watched eva for the first time and actually enjoyed it. There is other "deep" stuff, like the fact that the EVA is really his mom, and rei is also his mom, and so is lillith
wait what
>>
>>139775152
Evageeks is actually the opposite, it's pretty forceful in dismissing any claims towards the religious aesthetics having any meaning.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.