[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best starting point for someone interested in Lupin III?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
Best starting point for someone interested in Lupin III?
>>
The beginning.
>>
Green Jacket episode 1
>>
episode 1 green jacket
>>
boku no pico
>>
Castle of Castrati
>>
File: 000007.png (1 MB, 990x720) Image search: [Google]
000007.png
1 MB, 990x720
>>139714833
From the beginning of course.
>>
>>139714833
Anything made after 2010, the rest are way too ugly and dated like shit.
>>
Start with some lower, petty thieving crimes and then work your way up to stealing specific but small and low value items. Become familiar with pick pocketing. Do your research into who you're after and what you're going for.

Once you're comfortable look into finding a fence and stepping up your operations.
>>
>>139714833
Goddamn, dude, it's not like there's a season one or anything.
>>
>>139715392
I meant which series or era.
>>
>>139715941
The first one, duh.
>>
>>139714833
Gee, I dunno, the first episode maybe, you fucking retarded cunt.
>>
>>139714833
Cagliostro
>>
nice man
>>
File: American Police.jpg (30 KB, 480x356) Image search: [Google]
American Police.jpg
30 KB, 480x356
Quality thread OP
>>
>>139715143
why are you kids annoying as shit.
>>
>>139718647
Everyone's annoying here.
>>
OP here, love you guys and I'llbe here all week. (:
>>
>>139715941
There's only a vague continuity between works / series'. Fujiko Mine is supposed to be an origin story series of sorts… but it's not the first (either animated or overall). A lot of the movies are nebulous as to where in the Lupin "timeline" they take place unless explicitly a sequel to a prior one.

As such you're free to go nuts. The Green Jacket series is slightly less slapstick than Red and Pink, but likewise is sans a couple of the more modern character traits. Red Jacket is often neck-and-neck with Green for "iconic" Lupin (of which movies like CoC helped Green), Pink is a bit more comical / slapstick in nature but as such revels in the "zany" part of "zany antics" more thoroughly…

Blue Jacket, and yes I know I'm skipping a fair bit of works (I haven't exactly watched all the series' / films), is from what I hear pretty decent and also has some of the most up-to-date animation. You lose out on some of the "Gyrocopters aplenty" and "Hoodwink a former SS officer" bits from earlier series', but if they aren't your cup of tea in the first place it's no real loss.
>>
>>139714833
The original series of course. But give it around 4 or 5 episodes before you make up your mind. The first 8 episodes are directed by a guy who wanted to make the series much darker, and it does quite a bit of soul searching before it finds its groove.

Miyazaki starts directing the series around episode 9 and it seals the pretty consistent tone we still have today with part 4.

If you are so cowardly that you can't try out a 23 episode series that's a little old, then give Castle of Cagliostro a shot, its essentially everything you can expect from a typical episode in movie format, if you like that, you'll enjoy most of what Lupin has to offer.

I watched Castle of Cagliostro first while I was marathoning all of Miyazaki's movies, then I watched Blue Jacket while it aired, then started with the pilot film and Green Jacket, I'm half way through Green Jacket and plan to watch every bit of Lupin content since I fell in love with the rascal after Blue Jacket ended.

Hope that helps.

I've heard Green vs Red and Return of Pycal are pretty bad, are there any turds I need to look out for? I'll watch them anyway, but just so I can brace myself.
>>
>>139714833
Part 1 is the best in my opinion, but it takes 2-3 episodes to get good.
>>
>>139722360

Return of Pycal starts fine, but then it gets just kind of boring in the 2nd half, and the ending just makes the movie feel underwhelming.

Elusiveness of the Fog was pretty weak too with a weird time travel plot to some generic fantasy land in the middle of Japan somehow.

The 90s tv specials starting feeling kind of formulaic after a while too, but I think the ones in the 00s are varied enough and avoid that..

I actually liked Green vs Red. I guess people disliked it at the time because they thought they were really going to replace the real Lupin, but it's just a random one-off. It avoids the formula of most Lupin specials and goes from humor to seriousness executing both pretty well.
>>
>>139722170
I actually felt like pink was generally more serious than Red. Even after they change the art style to the zanny one there are still some really serious stories, and Lupin is portrayed as a calculating mastermind more often in Part 3 than in Part 2, where he was just goofy in most episodes. There are episodes with goofy Lupin in part 3 too of course, including the first couple, but something like the popcorn rocket episode from part 2 is goofier than anything in part 3.
>>
>>139722360
eturn of Pycal was bad because Pycal isnt a good character, even the original episode wasnt good. Green Vs Red wasnt bad at all. It was actually quite fun and shouldnt be taken seriously.
>>
Series I, Episode 1
>>
I've only watched the first series, but I recommend it. It's very enjoyable, almost like a well-animated Scooby-Doo serial with an adult tinge. It will take a few episodes worth of commitment though.
>>
>>139725381
As somebody who liked the second episode, I thought Return of Pycal was simply bad. Ugly too.
>>
he gets angry sometimes
>>
Green Jacket > Everything else
>>
getting tired of keeping thread alive. Just wanted to see a good lupin thread
>>
my last attempt
>>
So if and when Lupin gets another whatever, do you think it will be another show or special or movie?

Anyone know how well Blue Jacket sold?
>>
>>139729823
The next Lupin project will be a TV special. That's rather obvious.

Blue Jacket didnt sell too well, but only because it wasnt promoted well.
>>
>>139730086
I'm suprised Part 4 wasn't put on Toonami, I feel like it would do well.
>>
Also, read the original novels. Damn, I like LeBlanc's storytelling.
>>
>>139731308
well it's only in japanese as of now, so of course it wasnt on toonami. Now Richard Epcar is directing the dub and it may end up being on toonami or even adult swim but we gotta wait and see. Perhaps it may just be a BD thing.
>>
What is the best Lupin III movie/special, aside from the obvious Cagliostro and Mamo? I like Walther P-38 and Missed by a Dollar.
>>
>>139732476
You literally just named my top 4.

I'd recommend
>Fuma Conspiracy
>Legend of the Gold Babylon
>First Contact
>and Jigen's Gravestone

The only other ones I feel could be mentioned are Dead or Alive only because of the great art and animation. The story itself is weak. Also Tokyo Crisis is pretty good, but the ones I mentioned are the next best after the ones you've mentioned.
>>
you have to watch Lupin I and Lupin II first OP
>>
>>139732556
Jigen's Gravestone and First contact are also good. I've been meaning to watch Babylon but haven't gotten around to it.

I feel like most Lupin III movies and specials are enjoyable while watching them, and fun, but nothing special, and forgettable after you're done. I don't even know how many I've seen at this point. They're just a nice way to kill an afternoon as dumb slapstick action.
>>
What are people's thoughts on the second series? How is the consistency? I normally don't commit to shows that long but it seems like it was a massive cultural phenomenon in Japan during its original run so I'm going to give it a try once I wrap up s1 (which is pretty damn good so far).
>>
>>139733084
Theres about 40 movies or so. Only about 10-12 of them are really great.

Now that I think about it, the 1st Lupin/Detective Conan crossover was really good.
>>
>>139733178
It's pretty good but the episodes are hit or miss. Still worth it though
>>
>>139733288
I still love the not so great ones. It's fun seeing the gang in whatever hack plot the writers come up with, interacting with the shadow organization of the week. Goemon being Goemon will never not entertain me.
>>
I want a new Lupin series
>>
>>139732980
Is it strange that I actually did check out a couple of the original Arsene Lupin stories?
>>
>>139733682
that doesnt make sense to the post you're replying to
>>
>>139733907
But they technically are "Lupin I."
>>
>>139733626
We just got one nigga. We have special on the way as well.
>>
>>139734383
I want one now
>>
>>139734487
You can't have it now. Be patient.
>>
>>139714833
Red jacket
>>
>>139736149
Green Jacket, cocksucker.
>>
>>139736404
No, pink.
>>
>>139737086
I'll give you a fucking pink..
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.