[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on Memories by Katsuhiro Otomo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: memories.jpg (296 KB, 736x1043) Image search: [Google]
memories.jpg
296 KB, 736x1043
What are your thoughts on Memories by Katsuhiro Otomo?
>>
Boring, badly paced.
>>
>>139641455
Its no Non Non Biyori thats for sure
>>
>>139641455
Magnetic Rose was good, haven't watched the rest.
>>
still good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Fmj4azUiQ
>>
>>139641455
Really like Magnetic Rose, not so keen on the other two though
>>
Magnetic Rose really outshines the others
>>
>>139641455
It's no Halo Legends thats for sure
>>
>>139641455
Magnetic rose is the best. The one about smelly guy is too /pol/ for me. The cannon one is too weird and freudian.
>>
>>139641455
Magnetic Rose is great, and Cannon Fodder is pretty good. Stink Bomb is stupid, but fun.
>>
Nice. It's been a long time though.
>>
All the three films are great, but almost everyone agrees that Magnetic Rose blows all the others out of the water.
>>
Magnetic Rose is AMAZING.

How can Katsuhiro Otomo can be this based?
>>
File: 1419236568641.jpg (404 KB, 813x1152) Image search: [Google]
1419236568641.jpg
404 KB, 813x1152
Based.
>>
>>139641455
The first film is a classic
>>
>>139641455
Masterpiece so most of /a/ provably never heard about it
>>
>>139643956
Koji Morimoto directed it, not Otomo.
>>
>>139641455
I had forgot this existed
>>
Cannon Fodder is brilliant and by far the best out of the three
>>
Magnetic Rose is overrated. Too short to be good. It's just another story about "how we explore derelict and find some shit about its former owners". Atmospheric, but overdone.

Stink Bomb is dumb fun. I liked it the most.

Cannon Fodder tries to be 2 deep fur u. Another boring story about how life is shit. Art is really good and I got some Jin-Roh vibes from it.

Overall it's an interesting experiment, I want more of that.
>>
>>139641455
Magnetic Rose is fantastic.
Stink Bomb is too long for what it is and got boring fast.
Cannon Fodder is interesting and has really cool art but it felt like it had the most untapped potential to me.
>>
Magnetic Rose is genuinely outstanding.

The other two are mediocre.

The stark contrast in quality is no coincidence. Otomo wrote and directed the two mediocre stories, while Magnetic Rose was directed by Koji Morimoto and written by Satoshi Kon. The reality is Otomo isn't a good writer, just a creative mind.
>>
>>139650453
>written by satoshi kon
>>
I know /a/ doesn't like Youtube reviews, but this makes for really interesting viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tke-cSo39OM

Details just what went into making Memories. Some of the animation techniques they used are mind blowing.
>>
>>139641455
I literally own this on DVD. I feel terrible for not watching it yet.
>>
>>139650453
Otomo didn't direct Stink Bomb.
Also, the writing is the weakest part of Magnetic Rose.
>>
>>139652019
Watch it: >>139650659
>>
>>139652080
I'm not in the mood right now. Please just tell me if it somehow proves me wrong.
>>
>>139641455

One of my favorite pieces of anime desu. Really enjoyed all three shorts, they all have a different and intriguing vibe. Some of the animation is mind blowing as well.
>>
>>139652238
You didn't say anything to prove yourself right.

Heinz had a genuinely compelling character arc that was told really well. Honestly, you'll get the full picture if you watch from the 21:30 minute mark.
>>
>>139652799
Oh, I thought you were trying to say something about Stink Bomb's director.
It's not like the writing's terrible or anything, but it's not exactly a deep psychological study of any of the characters, and I think that the meditations on the nature/role of memories in human experience are pretty shallow and lame. Heinz's conclusion that "memories aren't an escape" is underwhelming, and it's sort of inexplicable that they try to explain Eva's presence (and malevolence?) as the result of a malfunctioning computer. I did like the references to Maria Callas, though I guess that's more of a personal interest thing.
That being said, I'm saying it's the weakest part of something I think is great, so don't take it as a big knock.
>>
Magnetic Rose was much better than the rest.
>>
>>139641455
Magnetic Rose is my favorite movie of all time.
>>
>>139650213
>Too short to be good
Nigger what.
>>
>>139641455
It's god-tier. Above the tastes of pleb-tier seasonal anime viewers like the ones ITT
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.