[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Perfect Blue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: v5re3lt.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
v5re3lt.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
I'm confused as fuck.

Was the part where Mima gets run over by a truck driven by the stalker guy a hallucination? As far as I know, Mima just thought it up in her mind, where she's chasing a shadow of her past as an idol (at this point the Mima she's chasing isn't Rumi) and it results in her death and her freedom of being an actress. It's a result of her massive regret of choosing to be an actress because of pressure from the people supporting her.

Who exactly was conducting the murders? There's a lot of shit that suggests Mima killed the photographer, namely the bloody clothes in her own apartment and the fact that Mima fainted because the film shows her having a flashback to the dead photographer's face which causes her to faint during a shoot of a scene in Double Bind. The film even suggests that Mima may be suffering from a split personality where another persona may be possessing Mima into committing the murders (although it may in fact be referring to Rumi instead).

What exactly happened at the very last scene? Where Mima visits a hospitalized and completely mind shattered Rumi who is 100% convinced she is Mima. Nurses comment on how Mima must be a look-a-like cause she would have no reason to visit a hospital and then in the very next scene Mima sits in her car, looking in her rear view mirror saying "I'm the real one" with a oddly off putting smile.

Jesus christ I have too many questions I can't even fit it all in one post. Did the film basically just show us different hallucinations from the perspectives of the stalker, Rumi, and Mima and the film just deceives us into thinking all these hallucinations are experienced from just Mima herself?
>>
(-)(-)=(+)
>>
>>139580098
the part where imaginary Mima is seen preforming with the now two-person idol group CHAM is a hallucination of the stalker
>>
>>139580227
No it's not.
It's Rumi.
>>
>>139580098
I have no idea and could't tell you if the film was actually super straightforward or if the perspective is actually so muddled up you couldn't pin the identity of anything whatsoever. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else bring up how warped it is here, most people seem to strangely take the ending at face value much like they do with Eva.
>>
>>139580098
I know how you feel.
But I think the point of the movie is to make you a bit crazy/confused yourself.
It's really just a criticism of the entertainment industry in Japan, in the end.
>>
>>139580098
It's too bad Kon could never top this masterpiece.
>Who exactly was conducting the murders?
All three of them right? Mima, the stalker and Rumi?
I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
>>
>>139580098
Mima actually killed all the people

at the end, where Rumi tells Mima she's the fake Mima and Rumi is the real one, that was just another path down Mima's insanity in which Mima literally battles to preserve her identity.

Mima killed those people because she wanted to preserve her self image. Notice how everyone who died had wounds in their eyes, because they all had their own ideal image of Mima and Mima didn't want that. wew so Symbolic right?

the very very end of the movie, the hospital scene, exists just to show the viewer that Mima has gone past the point of no return. Just as Rumi is forever stuck believing she is the real Mima, Mima is forever stuck in her desire to preserve her self image, her identity as the Mima she herself believes she should be.

The entirety of Perfect Blue played off of Mima's slow descent over her paranoia of the identity of the "real Mima". Notice how one of the things the movie covers is how Mima is slowly losing her grip on reality between herself and her Double Bind actress role. She wants to be Mima.
>>
File: de05.jpg (266 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
de05.jpg
266 KB, 1920x1040
>>139580646
cont.

The last parts of the movie says a lot on Mima's journey to preserving her self image. In this shot in the scene where Mima is running away from a delusional umbrella wielding Rumi, Mima actually stops just to look at her reflection in a mirror. She sees herself as the one true Mima.
>>
>>139580646
I don't think she killed that guy who was being rowdy at the concert in the beginning though.
That was definitely the stalker who killed him.
>>
File: mpv-screenshot0010.jpg (260 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
mpv-screenshot0010.jpg
260 KB, 1920x1040
>>139580731
cont.

And then just a couple seconds later, we see in the reflection Rumi's true image of just her wearing Mima's idol clothes. The mirror is reflecting the truth to Mima's eyes as she tries to take a grip on what is going on. Does anyone wonder why Mima even stopped just to fucking look at herself?
>>
File: mpv-screenshot0009.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
mpv-screenshot0009.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1040
>>139580819
and finally, when Rumi is strangling Mima while monologuing about the identity of the real Mima and how Mima MUST be the fake one, Mima has this to say: "Like I care! I am who I am!"

She struggled to remain herself during filming of Double Bind, and she was possessed by her anxiety over the whole "Mimarin's Room" deal. At the end of the movie, the now crazy Mima is content with her life as she reassures herself that she's "The real one". But personally at this point I believe that the old Mima died a long fucking time ago.
>>
>>139580623
Possibly.

Stalker dude definitely killed the rowdy person who threw that can in the beginning of the film. But I can't say for sure if Rumi actually killed anyone aside from attempting to kill Mima.

Every other person who has been shown to be killed had similar injuries, which is their eyes being gouged out. If Rumi only participated in some of the murders it's unlikely she would have killed them in such a similar fashion. I doubt many murderers has a desire to stab people in their eyes. With this logic, it's assumed that either Rumi killed ALL those people, or Mima did it. We know Mima killed the photographer so it's only to be assumed that she killed the other folks as well.
>>
>>139580646
>>139580731
>>139580819
>>139580930

I forgot to mention, that throughout the movie, the stalker, Rumi, and Mima were all plagued by a phantom image of a supposedly ideal Mima. Mima herself is the most affected by this but there are instances in the movie where Rumi and the Stalker sees this phantom as well.

Of course, this phantom doesn't actually exist, but it serves as a picture representation on how all three of these people saw an "ideal Mima"

When Rumi struggled to kill Mima, when Mima looked into that mirror, she no longer saw the phantom Mima she usually saw, but just herself, and a Rumi posing as a fake Mima.

Also, along the discussion earlier about how the entire movie was showing Mima's struggles to preserve her self image, it's interesting to note that Mima possibly saved Rumi's life because she still saw her ideal self in Rumi. In that scene, she still saw the Phantom Mima in real life projected through Rumi, but only saw Rumi for who she really was when she looked through a mirror or even took off her wig. When Mima saw Rumi spreading her arms out to accept the lights she believes are stage lights, she didn't see a Rumi, she saw herself and wanted to preserve that image of herself.

At face value viewers might see this as altruistic, but personally I believe that the act was done out of pure selfishness. Mima's act of kindness in saving Rumi from getting run over was just yet another attempt by Mima to preserve her "self"

You don't have to take everything I say as the truth, it's just my interpretation of the film because I've seen it way too many fucking times at this point. Hopefully my explanations can help others understand the film just a little bit more.
>>
>>139582046
Yeah, this sounds alright.
>>
>>139580098
OP im as confused as you
>>
File: 1457014167545.png (80 KB, 270x203) Image search: [Google]
1457014167545.png
80 KB, 270x203
>>139580646
This is all wrong, rumi went to mima apartment and gave her something to drink (pills and shit in there of course), and then she started to hallucinate. Coincidence? No. She had the same talk with rumi again in the apartment, and got confuse that they were having the same discussion again.
>>
>>139584392
there's nothing to suggest that Mima was even drugged at all, there's no indication that suggests that Rumi drugged Mima.
>>
>>139582046
That's a very decent explanation

if I can add to that, I should mention how in the beginning of the movie, there's a news report on a massive earthquake that resulted in the deaths of over 200 people but Mima seems to be off in her own little world and doesn't really give much of a shit about the earthquake.

Mima was selfish from the very start.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.