[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You haven't forgotten about me...have you /a/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
You haven't forgotten about me...have you /a/?
>>
Fuck off Anon, don't you have some homework to be doing or something else besides posting this uselsss shit on MY BOARD?
>>
Are there really people who rate this show 10/10? I admit it was better than average but was by no means a work of art.
>>
>>139390909

10/10 on a subjective "this means more to me than nearly any other show" scale
>>
Не придет.
>>
>>139391461
This
>>
>>139388283
No I haven't. That dj made by Railgun manga author was great.
>>
>>139391461
Was it because many people related themselves to the main character? I couldn't imagine most people could relate to such abject paranoia.
>>
>>139388283
>tfw you will never find your misaki
>>
>>139394389
I don't think it necessarily has to be relating to the concrete events/circumstances of the main character, but of his emotions and journey
>>
>>139394389
Seems to be the case with a lot of people. I never really saw myself in him or the others but the characters all felt very real to me.

I wouldn't give it a 10 though. Satou's characterization was inconsistent at times and the plot started meandering a bit until the end. Still, it's the only show that's made me cry.
>>
>>139388283
Who are you?
Some kinda Jehova's witness? Go away.
>>
>>139394596
My own hesitation towards giving it a better grade stems from the parts where the MC crossed the line between intense paranoia to complete ignorance. I recall one episode where Misaki offered to be his girlfriend for the day three times before he realized she was even speaking. It could be written off as a comedic event, sure, but I'm positive even the slightly autistic could have read the situation better than he had. At other points, the pacing sped up and slowed down like a novice musician. Like I said, I enjoyed it and I'd recommend it to most any one who asks for a recommendation, but critically, there are some scratches that could have been buffed out.
>>
>>139394389
I related heavily to the mc. I'm NEET, I have slight social anxiety, I'm messy, I'm 24, and I'm paranoid. I'm not paranoid about conspiracies and shit, but I always think that someone could break into my house, so I keep my gun at my desk at all times, just in case. I also keep almost getting out of NEETdom, but failing at the last second. Like a year ago, I went to trucking school, got a job at a good company paying good money, and then threw it all away because the trainer kept yelling at me because I couldn't remember where we had to get off the highway, because he wouldn't let me use a gps. /blog
>>
>>139394995
I agree with all of that. The two things that didn't make sense to me as far as Satou goes were his interactions with Misaki and his supposed social anxiety. Like the part you mentioned, he often seemed to just ignore Misaki for no clear reason, especially considering she went out of her way to try and be his savior and even come onto him like he presumably always dreamed of. It wasn't really ever funny and it didn't always seem like it was supposed to be.

The social anxiety seemed to just come and go at random too. Sometimes he'd start hallucinating and stuff when he was in crowds; other times he didn't give a shit, and not just when he was with someone else. Then he goes off to the island and suddenly has no problem interacting with anyone, aside from the cold reactions he got from the other people at first. It just didn't seem like he was all that socially inept, except when the plot or comedy needed him to be.
>>
MISAKI PLEASE SAVE ME
>>
>>139395467
upvoted
>>
>>139395441

As someone who has been diagnosed in the past as having social anxiety, I'd just like to comment that one's experiences in social situations can vary quite dramatically and uncontrollably (this has been my experience), and that perceived social ineptitude != social anxiety. It's also not as though how you feel in a social situation is predictable -- that's part of what makes such situations terrifying; you could go from 0 to 80 real fast. A scene in the show that actually illustrates this is when Satou visits the scenario-writing class -- he is mostly okay until the teacher makes a comment to him, and then he completely and publicly loses it and he becomes much worse afterwards. I guess this is why I was never personally bothered by much of the randomness, since I related to it.

I'm sure others have different experiences, though.

also /blog
>>
>>139396979
I can certainly see how interactions can vary so wildly like that. I believe Satou's character does reflect how people with actual social anxiety feels about those situations. My critique is with the situations where his blatant ignorance shines through his character. During that same island episode, he raised his fist against Misaki (for reasons I can't understand - probably a Japan thing), and when she cowered, he did it again. Then he stormed off. He didn't understand that situation until it was literally explained to him after Misaki was in the hospital and her uncle explained her family history. My argument is, even some one who has lived inside his house for 2 years can identify a history of abuse especially if the victim literally cowers in fear. She didn't just flinch, she begged him to stop. At points like these, the plot could have been expedited by 5 episodes if Satou had thought why she was almost crying when he raised his fist. It crosses the line between anxiety and ignorance which, I feel, detracts from the story.
>>
>>139398827

Completely agree with you on the "plot could have been expedited by 5 episodes" part. The whole second half felt kind of meandering to me: the light novel didn't have the island/pyramid scheme arcs and some other stuff here and there, and I think that work (which was the first "NHK" thing) is definitely more consistent and streamlined.

Nonetheless atm I still give it a 10, because if I didn't then I wouldn't feel right giving any other anime things 10s.
>>
File: 1459039568658.jpg (41 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
1459039568658.jpg
41 KB, 309x309
>>139388283
>Misaki Nakahara
>Looks at pic

Sorry who?
>>
>>139399108
The pyramid scheme arc was a mistake. The whole online video game arc was a mistake. But from a studio point of view, without 6 episodes of essentially filler, it'd be awkward leaving the anime with only 18 episodes. The arc involving his old senpai, Hitomi, I felt was fantastic up until they left for the island. In fact, I'd like a standalone anime about a character like Hitomi going through workplace struggles such as hers. It's a massive problem in Japan and I feel there's a story to tell there instead of lumping it with this one. Either way, her conflict should have been resolved with a personal intervention by Satou and her boyfriend. Satou gets his heart broken, sets up for the next save with Misaki, and the character they built isn't ignored to advance the plot.

I don't know if there is an anime similar to Hitomi's workplace issues. If there is, I'd like to see it. I've also have not read the light novel. Do you recommend reading it to those who have already seen the anime?
>>
>>139399775

I would also love such an anime. I barely know of any that involve workplace stressors (only Shirobako comes immediately to mind...)

And I recommend it: for me, the LN and the anime feel complementary. Though the core of both is the same, there are a lot of plot differences. I felt also that the light novel pushed the romance less, and that it overall felt more "uncensored". In general I am a fan of Takimoto's ability to write in such a self-pitying way without it coming across as irritating/narcissistic, especially since NHK is nearly autobiography. (I haven't read the manga, so I can't compare either work to that.)
>>
>>139400560
I'll look into both that anime and the LN, then. I didn't look into the author at all. Since I read so much into this particular anime, might as well read a little bit into the guy himself. Thanks.
>>
File: misaki.gif (2 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
misaki.gif
2 MB, 500x333
>>139388283
could never forget about misaki
>>
>>139400707

Sure. (Word of warning though: I like Shirobako a lot, but I don't think of it and NHK as being very similar, aside from the presence of real-world stressors in both).

Actually, while we're on the topic, I read Dazai Osamu's Schoolgirl and No Longer Human recently and I loved both. I associate the tone of NHK very much with Dazai's work, and I think at one point in the LN Satou uses the line "disqualified as a human being" (the Japanese title of No Longer Human) to describe himself. Just a random thought.
>>
>>139401456
Yeah, I looked a little bit into Shirobako already and it looks a little slice of life-ish. I'll still give it a shot, no doubt.

What I liked about Hitomi's conflict and just Hitomi as a character is that she has the potential to show what a suicidal person in her situation thinks or feels. There was an inkling of drug abuse, neglect from a loved one, and ostracism from her coworkers. This sort of thing is not uncommon and not treated as a serious problem over there. I'd like to see the issue brought to light.

Thanks again for the recommendations. I forgot we were on /a/ for a minute, there.
>>
>>139394389
got social and generalized anxiety disorder
i'm more functional than sato but most of the same thoughts go through my head, i don't get out much either
>>
>>139402230
Its a shame there aren't more high school dropouts who reach out to the socially uninclined. Truly a travesty.
>>
>>139388283
The tatami galaxy is better while keeping with many of the core themes of the show
>>
>>139394389
Yes, especially that part where he suddenly just can't go to college anymore for seemingly no reason.

I just can't go there anymore, my feet stopped by itself.
>>
>>139402529
Are you saying you personally can't go to college anymore, like the MC?
>>
>>139402446
well its ok, i'm in real therapy
>>
>>139401976

I also liked Hitomi as a character (unfortunately she appears even less in the LN). I hope there will be a work that does bring those issues to light, and a female perspective could be refreshing, too. I would watch/read it in a heartbeat.

haha, thank you! :p it was nice chatting.
>>
>>139402515

apples and bananas
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.