[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: Ponyo.full.332292.jpg (124 KB, 1242x648) Image search: [Google]
Ponyo.full.332292.jpg
124 KB, 1242x648
What went wrong?
>>
Nothing.

It is just too easy to watch.
>>
>>139326702

>Studio Ghibli
>Good

Literally a meme studio used by every newfag/normie as their canned response when asked if they like anime.

Ponyo was particularly boring and I've watched everything done by Ghibli. Only worthwhile movies where Princes Monoka, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies.

I'd say the biggest problem was the bland characters and forgettable acting. Not as bad as Annos hilariously bad voice acting in The Wind Rises but pretty bad.
>>
>>139328251
Studio ghilbi is basically japanese Disney.
It's good, but it's rehashed stories in interesting settings.
>>
>>139326702
I feel like it was the most empty movie.
The visuals were nice as usual, but there was no substance.
>>
>>139328321

I always find it funny when they interview famous people in Hollywood about Ghibli and they all praise the ground Miyazaki walks on.

If there's an example to go with the word overrated, it should be Studio Ghibli.
>>
>>139328251
Autism : The Post
>>
>>139328408

Like almost every Ghibli movie.
>>
How many Ghibli movies have you seen /a/?
I've seen about half meself, rest is still on my backlog.
>>
>>139328429
Well you also have to realize at the time it was new ground. It's like how the shining or the exorcist gets praised. At the time of creation it was amazing, now it's nothing special anymore
>>
>>139328456

>Liking Ghibli

Back to MAL/Reddit friend
>>
>>139326702
your birth
>>
>>139328503

It's just funny to me because it seems like a right of passage to praise Ghibli films. Like if you dislike or haven't watched any of their movies you are considered an uncultured newfag in Hollywood.
>>
>>139328557
At least I'm not a retard who keeps watching things he dislikes and can't spell the title of one of the most popular anime movie of all time correctly.
>>
>>139328503
Shining is incredible and still holds up, what are you talking about?
>>
>>139328557
>Imposing your contrarian tastes on /a/ as a whole
Stop.
Ghibli makes movies for kids that aren't supposed to teach but engage, and they do that just fine.
If you could name one way they could be better, I'm open to hearing it.
Yes, there are better animu films for older audiences, but honestly they're few and far between given how shitty 2D films tend to be (not that 3D Jap films aren't much worse).
>>
>>139328661
The Shining would be shit if it wasn't for Jack Nicholson entertaining acting. The film failed at being spooky.
>>
>>139328709

Not saying they aren't for kids, saying they are overrated. The studio made a handful of decent films and one particularly great one (Spirited Away) yet they get praised to high heavens as the best thing to come out of the Japanese film industry since Akira Kurosawa.
>>
>>139328787
To be fair it is probably one of the best things to come from japan.
I mean what else is there? That stupid mech one with the cute German girl?
>>
>>139328787
But the sad thing is that's almost true, at least for blockbuster shit.
Film in general is overrated, anon.
>>
>>139328869
You sound very new.
>>
>>139328869

Ghost in the Shell
Jin-Roh
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Metropolis

Just to name a few as good or better than Spirited Away.
>>
>>139329043
I'd say most of those are debatable but at the point it's personal taste.
Things like gits is aimed at very specific people, spirited away is marketable to basically everyone. Meaning more people will agree that spirited away is "better".
Personally I prefer gits, but a large part of that is personal taste.
>>
>>139329043
Only Anime film that ever "blew me away" was Magnetic Rose from the Memories anthology, and calling that a film is a stretch. Haven't seen Perfect Blue, to be fair.
>>
>>139329043

>Metropolis

Good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLHiIuB5u4
>>
>>139329141

That's true about Spirited Away. Like I said, it's easily one of the best animated films I've ever seen. It's very accessible.
>>
>>139329162
It was a pretty good re-imagining. The backgrounds were great.
>>
>>139329159

I liked Perfect Blue more than Paprika, not one of my personal favorites but it's a solid film.
>>
>implying Ghibli isn't ten times better now without Miyahacki
>>
>>139329300

Is it even a thing anymore? Thought Disney closed the studio.
>>
>>139328787
But Studio Ghibli is better than Kurosawa who is actually overrated.
>>
>>139329361

Yeah sorry but no, guy inspired some of the best directors with his movies. Ran, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai are classics. He inspired many of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns. George Lucas took Hidden Fortress as his template for the first SW movie.

Not saying all his movies where great, but he made great movies.
>>
>>139328251
>every newfag/normie as their canned response when asked if they like anime.
>Princes Monoka, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies.

This is cheap b8
>>
>>139329577
>Seven Samurai
Is one of my favorite films, but I have never seen a Studio Ghibli film as bad as Ran.
>>
>>139329697

>Ran
>bad

fucking pleb taste kohai.

One of the best adaptations of a Shakespeare play.
>>
>>139328709
>Ghibli makes movies for kids that aren't supposed to teach but engage, and they do that just fine.

Recently I read somewhere that Spirited Away is actually about human trafficking and child prostitution in Japan - to be fair though it's almost impossible to tell what it's "really" about, and could be easily digested as another charming coming-of-age story. Mononoke was hardly a kid's movie and Wind Rises is a drama with adult themes.

I used to work a job where we had a lobby for kids to sit in and enjoy movies, and we had to stop playing Ghibli stuff because parents complained that it was "too violent" (in response to Castle in the Sky, lol) or "too weird" (in response to most). Strangely enough we got away with showing Dreamworks films, which are known specifically for being crude alternatives to Disney/Pixar movies. Oh well.
>>
>>139329828
It is actually an adaptation of an event that happened in the sengoku period. He changed details to make connections with the play.

Besides, all of Kurosawa's Shakespeare adaptations are better anyway, because they were made before he forgot how to make films.
>>
>>139329577
Takahata > Kurosawa
>>
It's ridiculous people think Ghibli can be overrated when Kon and Oshii are the only two directors in the anime industry in the same league as Takahata and Miyazaki.
>>
>>139328718
>expecting The Shining to be spooky
literally retarded.
>>
>>139328251
>meme studio
>newfag/normie
>I'm an oldfag, I've been here since last summer.
>>
>>139328557
>Back to MAL/Reddit
And you should go back with him.
>>
>>139329043
>as good or better than Spirited Away
No, just different.
You're trying to compare apples to oranges.
>>
>>139326702
It was a nice idea, but would never work as a movie. They should just have taken the general setting and transformed it into a kid show (something like Hamtaro).
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.