[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haruhi Suzumiya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Hi, /a/. Relative newfag here, rewatching Haruhi for my second time. I didn't get to watch it until long after it aired. I know it was very popular, but just how big of a deal was it at its peak? I saw another person say that nothing had ever been as huge before, and that nothing has been as huge since. Is that true? If it is, do you think anything will ever surpass it?
>>
>>139308146
Popularity in terms of where? Japan? /a/? the US?
>>
>>139308263
All or any of the above.
>>
>>139308325
I just remember the shit show /a/ was during endless eight
>>
>>139308146
>I saw another person say that nothing had ever been as huge before, and that nothing has been as huge since.
That may be true in the sense of how 4chan reacted to it. Ten years later we still have fairly regular Haruhi threads.
>>
File: 1447489781345.jpg (2 MB, 2400x3900) Image search: [Google]
1447489781345.jpg
2 MB, 2400x3900
>>139308325
In Japan it was huge, like phenomenon huge. Merchandise, spin-off etc. you name it, people bought it.
On /a/ it was quite big too, considering it aired the same year CG aired and was still able to have many threads on this board goes to show it was popular here.
And yes it was well received in the US too, in fact that's why it's known as babby's first anime, because it literally was a gateway anime.
Not to mention the Disappearance which I think pic related sums up the popularity of that.
>>
>>139308146
I feel like Monogatari has grown to be nearly as huge, but it was a slow burn. It's taken years to get to the point it's at now. And even so, it has a fraction of the western presence, because it's too ecchi/the western anime fanbase has become too normalfag.
>>
Newfags will never understand just how hype 2006 was. We will never see its like again.
>>
>>139308146
It was huge. I don't know about here, since I wasn't on /a/ at the time, but on every anime related forum and website Haruhi was insanely popular. Can't remember if it was an instant hit, but I remember that by late 06 there was fanart everywhere and by the next year on most anime conventions in the world people were doing the Hare hare yukai.

Then Lucky Star came, riding on the Haruhi pandering train until people started to like it on its own. Kyoani realized that otakus loved the cute girls doing cute things formula and released K-on some years later. And thus, moe age was born.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.