[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is HxH better than OP?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 443x332
A friend of mine was arguing about how emotionaly deep and more interesting HxH characters get, while in OP it's "all about friendship", and I coudn't respond to that.
>>
>>139264911
In terms of writing it's definitely much better than OP.
>>
>>139264911
Well he's selling OP a little short, but he's not wrong about HxH. It's better written and Togashi takes more interesting directions with it.
>>
>>139264911
Just make him cry by suggesting that it will get put on hiatus again the next time Togashi gets a cold.
>>
>>139264911
OP is for children. Seriously what up with the crying and friendship stuffs?
>>
OP has WORLD BUILDING
how can HxH even compete?
>>
>>139265178
With good writing
>>
>>139264979
This and only this, however it did have the biggest asspull in anime/manga history (gons recovery).
>>
>>139265178
HxH has world building, but it doesnt have WORLD BUILDING
>>
>>139264911
Friendship is a major theme in HxH too, but it's a more nuanced portrayal of it.
>>139265178
Togashi doesn't ever pretend his world makes sense, he just writes whatever he wants to arc-to-arc.
>>
>>139264911
Well OP actually seems like it will end if Oda doesn't work himself to death, he's like the opposite of Togashi currently.
>>
>>139265240
It's not an asspull if you build and entire fucking arc around it to make it work, especially if such power is further tied with the upcoming dark continent.
>>
HxH focus on strategy and stealth, while OP its more explosive at everything.
>>
>>139265272
This
Oda and Togashi both make good and fun works but their actitud towards it could not be more different
>>
>>139264911
what the fuck...what is deep about hunter x hunter exactly ?
>>
>>139265968
I think he's talking about the fact that the MC becomes somehow the antagonist while the bad guy actions becomes questionable.
>>
>>139266211
It's not deep but trying to trivialize nuance and character development like that isn't accurate either
>>
>>139264911

>emotional

yeah when the hiatus happened all fans were crying

>deep

as deep as the desire of killuafags wanting to fuck him in the anus?

>interesting

as interesting as an asspull wishgranting machine with 0 drawbacks?

>friendship

at least it's not FT levels of nakama bullshit

OP doesn't have cancer fanbase, they only become one when you hit on oda dying before the series end and how "lazy" he is when the series takes a break once every 4 weeks unlike togashi who takes a break for 24656542 years after every 4 chapters.
>>
It really bothered me that the buster call was so underwhelming in the enies lobby arc
>>
>>139264911
HxH has Kurapika, so it's better by default.
>>
File: smugclown.gif (924 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
smugclown.gif
924 KB, 500x281
>>139267333
>>
>>139264911
So, I like OP, and I was thinking of picking HXH, because it looks cool and gets good commentary. But, how probable is that it'll go into extended hiatus again? Oda taking a week off every 3-4 weeks is ok, but I don't think I can sustain the hype for more than 4(?) months with no new material.
>>
Hxh doesn't have the sane arcs re used in a different settings.
>>
>>139267533
>how probable is that it'll go into extended hiatus
guaranteed
>>
>>139264911
I thought both were masterpieces in thierown ways. I thought HxH draws out the maximum potential of traditional shonen, while OP has WORLD BUILDING, and unique fights. Considering most shonen is just glorified martial arts, t.punching normally, kicking normally, with the extra bit with ki blasts, then oda having characters with abilities like becoming rubber, and all sorts of wacky powers is almost a deconstruction of the genre.
>>
>>139267533
watch 2011 and call it a day
>>
Seen both and I agree. HxH is certainly better written than OP. And OP is a lot more childish than HxH. Togashi tackles a lot of 'grey' subjects. Even most of the characters are not purely good or purely bad.
>>
>>139267035
Wow you really took shit posting a whole new level. Off to reddit bro
>>
I checked out OP a few years ago and dropped it after 10 episodes because the MC is essentially immortal and cannot be hurt, injured or killed by anyone, only downing could be a threat to him.

Should I give it another try?
>>
>>139265330
>especially if such power is further tied with the upcoming dark continent.
>if

I hope your opinion is revised when "it" and Alluka have nothing to do with the dark continent. You will know then that Togashi can be a lazy-ass writer occasionally. Just look at the end of YYH ffs

I'm sure you'll be a much different person in 12 years when we find out.
>>
>>139268603
>Episodes
Read the fucking manga.
>>
Honestly its almost like comparing Monthly to Weekly Shounen, Togashi has had so much time to come up concepts due to his frequent breaks, which is why the themes and writing surpass those OP.

If Togashi did the same schedule that Oda did, HxH would have been incredibly different, and Chimera Ant probably never would have happened.
>>
>>139268603
Just read it. It's a great Shonen.
>>
HxH is genius but it ends abruptly and the last arc of the anime is forgettable af. At least One Piece is still going strong and consistent.

Anyways, they're both top tier imo. I'm on Thriller Bark arc of OP right now. It's terrific.
>>
File: fuk u sed.png (139 KB, 225x264) Image search: [Google]
fuk u sed.png
139 KB, 225x264
>>139268848
Would you say it's thrilling?
>>
>>139268848
>HxH is genius but it ends abruptly
except it hasn't ended, so fuck off
>>
>>139268686
It's been already heavily implied that Nanika is a common creature in the Dark Continent.

>>139268848
HxH hasn't ended yet.
>>
>>139264911
The real question is, is HxH better than Yu Yu Hakusho? To that question, I say _No
>>
Despite HxH having slightly better writing (only because oda really does aim his more for kids ) I will argue that Op has better characters and abilities.
>>
>>139265240
>Biggest asspull

Why is this still a meme? Kurapika had a much more powerful. He can instantly kill people with no side-effects due to Judgement Chain.

>Buh it only works on Phantom Troupe

Phantom Troupe are the only ones Kurapika plans to kill and they are very much alive. The fact itself that Nen can make you instantly kill someone you hate is overpowered on it's own. Much more than Gon's conditions.
>>
>>139269902
but king chimera and his bodyguards are probably a lot stronger than anyone in the troupe, and gon had to age himself 20 years to achieve dad bod status to beat the male neko.
>>
>>139265178
>GAH, LUFFY, I CANNOT DEFEAT THE BIG GUY! GAMMA KNIFE!
>GUHHH! FOOLISH LAW
>GRAAAAAAAAH I BELIEVE IN MY NAKAMA MY HAKI IS STRONGER THAN YOURS GOMU GOMU GOMU
>FOOLISH STRAWHAT! I HAVE THE POWER OF AWAKENING
>ILL HAVE TO USE.. THAT TECHNIQUE.. AFTER RESTING FOR 10 MINUTES..
>HE'S USING THAT TECHNIQUE! HMPH! THE FOOL
>HEAAAAAAAARGH! GEAR FOUR!
>STRAWHAT! YOU CANT KEEP UP THAT HAKI FOR LONG! ILL BEAT YOU IN A HEAD ON CONTEST OF STRENGTH
>ELEPHANT GATLING SCHNEIDER BAZOOKA!!!!!!
>GUHHHH! I AM DEFEATED
>YAY LUFFY SAVED THE DAY
>NEXT ARC
>>
>>139270006
Gon never beat a male neko.
>>
File: maleneko.jpg (121 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
maleneko.jpg
121 KB, 1440x810
>>139270194
>>
>>139269902
>Comparing the troupe to the OP as hell bodyguards and king.
>>
>>139270492
why are you posting a picture of a catbuggirl?

The only male "neko" Gon ever beat was Killua, emotionally.
>>
File: 1Ab748B.png (356 KB, 732x469) Image search: [Google]
1Ab748B.png
356 KB, 732x469
>>139270617
>>
>>139267035
>OP doesn't have cancer fanbase
Go look at any OPgeneral thread
>>
>>139268603
>the MC is essentially immortal and cannot be hurt, injured or killed by anyone
What the fuck
>>
>>139270793
Oh so we weren't just having a fun back and forth, you're actually legitimately retarded.
>>
>>139270963
>being upset that the cartoon character he jacked off to and waifud up is actually a dude
>>139268603
>only drowning could be a threat to him
and the nigga decides to be a pirate? what a risk taker
>>
>>139268603
Actually, after Luffy finally leaves for the Grand Line, he gets in fights that are each more dangerous than the last and is each time closer and closer to actually dying.

I don't guarantee you'll like OP, but Luffy is not indestructible at all, so pick it if that is your complaint. He was just strong for East Blue.
>>
File: meme1.png (673 KB, 1272x712) Image search: [Google]
meme1.png
673 KB, 1272x712
>>139270963
>>
>>139271028
>being upset that the cartoon character he jacked off to and waifud up is actually a dude
this only happened to pikafags, the bad kind of pikafags.
>>
Narration is not good writing. it's a hack's tool to make things sound more complex then they are.

violence/gore does not equal game changing/mature. if anything relying on it can quickly become boring.

Playing a trope the same way and just adding some narration to it does not make it a deconstruction. I deconstruction is applying real world consequences to a trope in fiction. Getting a power up and suffering consequences from it is not a deconstruction if the power up accomplishes what power ups do: get the hero out of a tight spot.

and finally, having every character become an exposition bot doesn't show how clever or complex your story is, it just means you don't understand what a actually makes a character interesting and your story is too convoluted.

Seriously why do people like HXH?
>>
>>139268603
what kind of retard picks up a comic series and gets mad when the MC has plot armor?
>>
Is the dark continent going to be as disappointing as the new world?
>>
If you like HxH it is an interesting read from start to finish. In the other hand, Oda feed us with so much uninteresting crap that makes you lose interest and at least two flashbacks per arc. If OP was cut to 50% we would have a better manga.
>>
>>139271431
The same retards that praise AgK.
>>
>>139271299

Did it even have that much narration? It's been a while, I know it got heavy at the end of the chimera ant arc, but I don't remember too much until the actual invasion on the chimera ant king
>>
HxH is more interesting than OP.
>>
>>139268603

As of now he's officially immune to bullets, blunt attacks, electricity, poison, and he has a special AOE OHKO attack that only one in one million people can get. Also he can talk giant sea monsters with no explanation.

It gets worse
>>
One piece the early episodes were great, I couldn't fucking get through the HxH episodes at all. Stopped at 16 or so I think, it just was so shit, what's the point in plowing through it if it's not enjoyable?
>>
>>139271548

CA is where it was at it's worst, but before that you had pages that were literally nothing but a character explaining something that could have been boiled down to 2 lines.

The fact that people didn't drop this series at pic related is a little unacceptable
>>
>>139270793
so if you make an android/robot/mecha with a woman in mind as blueprint, do you call it a he or a she. that's basically what pitou is, a genderless chimera ant with a female base
>>
>>139271633

It's almost like he's a main character or something.
>>
>>139271721
No it's a fucking sterile bug made for killing not fucking.
>>
Is this thread full of casualfags?

In terms of writing, HxH is on par to Naruto, yea garbage, yea include those other shounen titles in that statemen, this thread is full of casuals.

As a reader who literally knows how to read unlike these turds here, yeah I'm superior than you turds, so listen and end your delusions or stupidity, and as a reader who knew how bad shounen is in terms of writing like other people who use their brains before posting unlike these turds here, OP's character speeches alone will give you a realization how bad other shonen are, if you didn't realize it, maybe you're a bias fanturd or just stupid, casual's IQ is like this, "this anime is cool, so it has good writing", IQ of a child loving his own toy. I'm not even including how complex OP is. I hate reading long running series, got curious why OP is loved by people, majority are Asians, me living in Asia, try reading it, my conclusion, the author knows what is he doing unlike other garbage shounen authors out there.
>>
>>139271659

It picks up when they actually start the exams. Unfortunately yeah, I had to force myself through Gon's boring life and meeting leorio and kurapika.

"it gets better x many chapters in" is a pretty commonly depressing defense in manga
>>
>>139271299
Why are you acting like people credit HxH's good writing to the narration? In the anime it's annoying, in the manga it's an unobstrusive way to build atmosphere and communicate information not suited to dialogue. Either way it's only notable in one arc and isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>139271846
Ok ok, calm down autismo. I can't understand what you mean if you don't answer with "yea"'s interspersed between your English.
>>
File: pika.jpg (51 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pika.jpg
51 KB, 400x400
>>139267333
I concur.
>>
>>139271998
That gibberish was english?
>>
>>139271721
I'm going by the authors words
>>
File: Killua_misses_his_target.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Killua_misses_his_target.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
Killua is cute!
>>
File: killuashitposter.gif (967 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
killuashitposter.gif
967 KB, 490x367
>>139272081
>>
>>139265240
I'll never understand why people consider it to be that much of an asspull. Togashi could easily have written it so Gon could be healed by the nen exorcist, the entire thing felt like it was made to introduce Nanika. I'm guessing it'll probably be tied to the DC and the Ai things or whatever they're called. It didn't even feel like it had no price, dozens of people indirectly died because of it, even Gotoh.
The true thing that felt like an asspull was Killua suddently having someone else to care deeply about, especially when he never mentionned Alluka once. Sure it can be excused by the needle but it still feels like poor writing.
>>
>>139272128
because focusing on that asspull let's people ignore how huge an asspull the rose was, or Adult Gon was.
>>
>>139272196
The bomb being an asspull is like saying Ponzu being shot is an asspull. Mundane weaponry doesn't need to be foreshadowed extensively.

Gon san was foreshadowed a lot and obeys in universe rules, it isn't an asspull unless you paid no attention.
>>
HxH is garbage.
>>
One Piece is garbage.
>>
>>139272265
It was foreshadowed though, Killua mentions nukes when they infiltrate NGL and Netero says the area they're fighting in is a WMD testing ground.
>>
>>139272265
>Gon san was foreshadowed a lot

Literally post one instance.
>>
File: one piece.jpg (602 KB, 6000x3022) Image search: [Google]
one piece.jpg
602 KB, 6000x3022
One Piece's biggest ass pull?

The world map.

I don't really mind it, but this is just silly.
>>
One definite thing HxH has over One Piece is stakes and tension. How is it even possible to get intimidated by a OP villain anymore since we know that Oda doesn't kill anyone off outside of flashbacks? Case in point Doflamingo, an antagonist with a lot of hype behind him that was a very formidable foe but was a complete joke of a strategic mind through convenient writing.
But I can't say I felt the same about HxH in terms of tension since Chimera Ant.
>>
>>139271721
Ants aren't genderless, Pitou is female.
>>
>>139272265
>ponzu being shot being related at all

Holy shit people have taken reaching to new heights. In all my years i've never heard this defense for such an obvious asspull

how tf do i even begin breaking this down? This is such a stupid correlation, I'm questioning why i even responded to this. Seriously, the only thing of at least some semblence of reason I can pull from this is that somehow is that concealed weapons don't need foreshadowing, but even that would only support my point but supporting a grander point that concealed weapons in general are very plot convenient tools.
>>
File: HxH visual.png (605 KB, 870x1050) Image search: [Google]
HxH visual.png
605 KB, 870x1050
>>139264911
ofc. This is better than the dogshit in OP's image
>>
One Piece is a better story

HXH is a better meme.

Let's call it a fucking night.
>>
>>139271299
When has HxH ever relied on gore to separate itself from other manga? The violence is never that over the top and it's fitting for the dangerous world the story takes place in. Compare to something like Tokyo Ghoul which arguably has more gore than HxH, somehow the violence is more tasteful in HxH since it doesn't feel like it's trying to shock, except for the NGNL part of CA.
I don't consider HxH a deconstruction but Gon-san was a different approach in the fact that it was treated as a grim sacrifice morally and physically for the protagonist. It was just written with more gravity than something like Gear Second.
How do you naturally let a character explain their tactics to the viewer without it becoming clunky exposition? That's the whole point of a mindgame and Togashi letting us get inside the head of not only the heroes but also the villains is good in my opinion.
>>
>>139264911
Look , nen is retarded. Unless the dark continent explains it I just can't bypass pocket dimensions , teleportation and wish-granting being the result of auras.
>>
>>139272337
Gon's obsession with Kite and Pitou and his insanity wasn't even foreshadowed, they were explicitely adressed. If you want foreshadowing more explicit about Gon-san itself there was the time Morel asked when someone would hurt themselves and Gon answered something about not being able to forgive yourself while thinking about Kite, or when Wing told him not to do like Kurapika and place really severe restrictions on himself.
>>
>>139272337
I would if I was home, but how about Morel explicitly stating that Gon was going to break down/explode (I forget the wording)? Did you want it to go into specifics about the exact nature of the transformation and ruin the shock value?

>>139272528
You must be retarded if you don't see what I'm getting at. The rose is just a cheap bomb in a universe known to have nuclear weaponry. It needs about as much foreshadowing as other simple, mundane weaponry- that is, not much.
>>
>>139272620
Other way around.
>>
>>139272620
>meme meme meme meme
Holy shit, just fuck off back to /v/.
>>
>>139272128
>>139272196
>>139272265
>>139272316
Just because something is foreshadowed doesn't mean it can be excused. You had nen rules, relationships and all other sorts of supposedly established and irreversible changes being overturned. The whole rose bit, sure. Gon aging? That's fine. Alluka? Pushing it. Killua being exempted was really too much. The idea that asspulls and convenient plot circumstances being forgiven just because it was vaguely alluded too a few chapters back is really in bad taste. There's a limit to how much you can pull in these kinds of surprises in a row before it just becomes shock factor and booboos.

>>139272036
Yea

On topic: Hunter is still better than Gomu.
>>
File: 1458527752020.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1458527752020.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>139271846
>Stopped reading after HxH is on par with Naruto.
Stop trolling on 4chan, man, it's worthless.
>>
>>139264911
Please lurk for 2 years before posting.
>>
Leorio seems like he isn't that great...
>>
>>139272772
>asspulls and convenient plot circumstances being forgiven just because it was vaguely alluded too a few chapters back
When does this occur? The only thing i'm willing to give you is Killua being exempted, but even then it's not that much of an issue since he never had to be the one to face the consequences in the first place due to how the wishes work.
>>
>>139272696
>HXH isn't as gory as a seinen
> I think it was a different approach to show a hero reach the point of anguish and rage and power up even though it hurts them afterwards.
>How do you naturally letcharacters explain there tactics? Naturally? that's stupid.

The hilarious thing about the Adult gon thing, is that ifanything OP actually had the real deconstruction of the hero pushed to the brink of despair. He didn't and never has gotten a power up out of rage or desperation, he actually put thought into and uses them practically as he develops them.When Ace died he didn't suddenly go super saiyan, he broke the fuck down like a person actually would and almost got killed for it.

There's little different between Adult Gon and sixtails Naruto.
>>
>>139272790
kill yourself tripfag
>>
Was that crocodile chimera ant as strong as one of the royal guard?

Feitan was having a hard time against her, and I'm sure he's stronger than Knuckle, Shoot, etc.
>>
>>139272901
No

Feitan wasn't firing on all cylinders, phinks points it out.
>>
>>139272772
But when people complain about asspulls, all they're concerned about is the foreshadowing. They want to see things coming and call any surprise an asspull, even if it 100% follows the rules. It's a cheap, easy way to criticize a series you don't like even though there are far bigger potential problems in writing than the author coming up with an idea a little late. Even if, hypothetically,Togashi really did pull Gon san or the rose out of his ass at the last minute with no foreshadowing, that doesn't negate the character/thematic development and emotional impact they bring to the story.
>>
>>139272851
I generalised the asspulls based on what anon said about the bombs,. I couldn't really bother to seperate them on a case by case basis on my phone. The whole Killua bit, for me, is the convenience of how Alluka was brought in. I'm not talking about the how on how he/she/it works, but how the Togashi got around the introduction of Nanika/alluka. It was said that their family only had x amount of siblings. Alluka was revealed as being a boy/girl who was hidden and kept secret. Even an anon earlier said that alluka wasn't mentioned or referenced before any of the events. The problem here is that togashi went ahead and just used this setting to make alluka a transgender wishing lamp that is feared by all save for killua.

I'm not gonna pretend that I'm well versed with the series, but it's hardly fool proof when it comes to writing and consistency.
>>
>>139272882
Luffy broke down and a handful of chapters afterwards it was as if nothing happened. It was really fucking bad and i'm not sure why you're even bringing up the deconstruction strawman.
You seem to be confused about Gon-san too, he didn't power up out of anger, if anything it was out of guilt. He broke down several times through the arc and when he learned it was all in vain from the start, he couldn't take it anymore and decided that he could only redeem himself if he died and took Pitou with him. The difference with something like Naruto is that his goal was to kill himself and the fight was a complete one sided slaughter.
>>
>>139273098
It does when it can be clearly seen asa cheap way to get the characters outof their badsituation.

The whole art of storytelling is to invest oyur reader into your story enough that their suspension of disbelief is held very high and things the plot devices are accepted because they feel natural and in the moment even sensible because they are so invested in the tale.

When I'm watching a kid talk a whole lot of shit to someone clearly stronger than him, for litterally YEARS, andthen when he's about to get his shit pushed in he transforms, that's as unnatural as you can get.
>>
>>139272882
You do realize that Gon did break down right there in front of his enemy like Luffy did? But there are two major differences first, Gon was absolutely alone and the only help on the way was Killua which definitely would not have helped against the strongest Royal Guard who was determined to murder Gon unlike Luffy who had multiple warlords and Captains of Whitebeard's crew protecting him. Two, Gon was in peak health at the moment unlike Luffy who's body was pushed beyond the very limits of exhaustion, so it would have been bad-writing for Luffy to get a power-up right there just like it would have bad-writing to not get the main character out of that situation. Except Gon-san was not an asspull since it was foreshadowed throughout the entire arc ever since Kite died.
>>
>>139273098
Well I agree with you on the rose reveal. I personally liked it, but I need an easy to understand example to explain the problems in his writing style. Like I said, shock value.
>>
>>139273160
>Luffy broke down and a handful ofchapters afterwards it was like nothing happened

You realized it was WEEKS after not just the war but luffy undergoing surgery before he was able to get over the trauma even a little bit. And this was after he had a breakdown and had to get the sense literally beaten into him. If that's a casual recovery to you I don't know what to tell you.

> Deconstruction strawman
you clearly don't know what strawman means. One psychology class at the community college doesn't make you a debate god.

>He didn't power up out of anger it was out of guilt
What the fuck does it matter the difference, he powered up out of extreme emotion.

>His goal was to kill himself
What? bro, I know the scene was convenienltly vague in it's explanation of howgon let the power up happened, but saying "His goal wasto kill himself." IS presumptious af. It being a one sided slaughter makes the moment even more of an asspull
>>
>>139268963
>It's been already heavily implied that Nanika is a common creature in the Dark Continent.
wtf that sounds interesting when?
>>
>>139273262
We're still waiting for that example of foreshadowing.
>>
>>139268963
>It's been heavily wanked by fans that Nanika is a common creature in this place we know jack shit about.

>HXH hasn't ended yet...I KNOW IT HASN'T...RIGHT? TOGASHI WILL FINISH IT...right?
>>
>>139273144
Alluka was revealed on July 4th, 2005 but her ability was never forshadowed
>>
>>139267035
>OP doesn't have a cancer fanbase
But this post itself is cancer.
>>
>>139264911
>how emotionaly deep and more interesting HxH characters get
Ayyy The Corazon and Law backstory was more emotional and interesting than anything HxH has offered. and it was crap
>>
>>139272036
>>139271998

Stop your delusions casualfags, it's clearly in Engrish. Realization will make your IQ higher, please stop your stupidity before it's too late.

Literally Naruto = HxH
You disagree? Explain why delusional fag.
>>
>>139271299
Have you ever read a book, you retard? The narration in HxH is there to compliment what the drawings can't show: The passing of time, the mental state of the characters. Hell, I don't even know why I am replying to you when you are complaining about the exposition.
And your definition of a deconstruction is stupid. A deconstruction is a type of study of a literary work, not a trope by itself.

>>139267035
>OP doesn't have cancer fanbase
Yeah, sure. Keep deluding yourself.
>>
>>139273342
Are you trying to imply that Luffy getting over the fact that Ace died because of him after a few weeks and some tough love is acceptable? It was fucking awful.

Please explain to me what psychology has to do with calling your argument a strawman. You brought up the deconstruction thing and implied people claimed Gon-san was one. That's the definition of a strawman.

>he powered up out of extreme emotion
Except he didn't, he made the conscious choice to throw everything away just to become strong and kill Pitou. It wasn't triggered simply by emotions.
>IS presumptious af
What the fuck? He literally says he doesn't care if it's the end for him before that scene. Due to the nature of nen contracts he had to know what he was doing anyway, they're not subconsciously formed.
>It being a one sided slaughter makes the moment even more of an asspull
How does that make it "more" of an asspull? Do you even know what that word means?
>>
>>139273529
The biggest flaw in OP's writing is the retarded melodramatic backstories everyone gets. It just makes me roll my eyes because they're always so poorly written and feel like a cheap way to make you empathize with the characters when Oda didn't know how to make them interesting. There isn't a single good one.
>>
>>139273439
At this point, I'd say you and anon aren't going to see eye to eye. But can I have some panels/chapter number?

>>139272851
It's an issue in that Killua would other wise be pushing the burden on some mifortunate soul to save gone despite growing a conscience had he not been special.
>>
>>139273437

HxH is returning April 18th.

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/38669/20160322/hunter-x-hunter-manga-continuation.htm

>Fully expects 4 chapters before 8 year hiatus.
>>
>>139273606
Narration used well helps to illustrate a scene or situation. Narration used poorly is a stand in for an inability to let characters express their own emotions and motivations. Standing in for the characters actually being you know characters

My definition of deconstruction is based on how it is considered as a trope. Ofcourse there is more to the term to unpack. Hilariously enough deconstruction has a lot to do with interpretation and in this case you had an inability to interpret the context of my usage of deconstruction. Also yes people on /a/ and other places often claim gon's powerup is a deconstruction.

>>139273647
...yes, at least more acceptable than "fuck all my angst meant jackshit...TIME TO HULK MODE!"
Also nice way to deflect from the fact that original statement was about how in the moment luffy reacted more realistically and not about the results afterwards.

saying "I don't care" isn't the same as saying "I'm going to kill myself" learn the difference. Also how conscious that decision is seems very questionable considering the emotional state gon was in at the point. It wasn't exactly rational. this is really reaching.

And here comes the spoon, EAT UP! it makes it more of an asspull in that not only did it let Gon beat pitou, but beat pitou CASUALLY! no contest. Makes all the tension before seem almost laughable.
>>
>>139273384
Clear example of the first signs of Gon-san, notice the dark aura effects going on that can be seen again in the transformation.
https://youtu.be/AIiQRHsntck
>>
File: hunter-x-hunter-327288.jpg (175 KB, 800x655) Image search: [Google]
hunter-x-hunter-327288.jpg
175 KB, 800x655
>>139273749
Chapter 229 - page 2
>>
>>139273732
Agreed. It can be such a lazy, artificial form of depth and should be used sparingly or it loses it's effect. It's painful in OP because it's so formulaic and repetive, he isn't creative enough to pull it off over and over and it highlights how rarely he takes risks.
>>
HxH by far.

OP was boring the whole way through but I couldn't force myself to keep going after Skypiea. That arc felt like a complete waste.
>>
>>139264911
How emotionally deep and interesting is Kite? Or Gon's dad? Or hell, even Leorio? Fucking Kurapika is literally just a walking talking sac of vengeance. There's no depth to them, and a lot of it has to do with the fact the mangaka doesn't have the time to do it. He is more concerned about advancing the plot, he doesn't care about the characters besides the main ones and the villains.

One Piece is all character-driven. Plot takes a back seat. To think that HxH has more deep and interesting characters than One Piece is absolutely retarded, they have two very different focuses.

Not to mention, HxH plot sucks and will never finish.
>>
>>139273262
>against the strongest Royal Guard
since when was pitou the strongest?
>>
Alluka is literally the Dragon Balls but god forbid it doesn't have a bullshit overhyped drawback that just conveniently doesn't matter when its use actually matters.
>>
>>139274140
>cherry picking a few characters who haven't even had their character arc yet

Gon, Killua, and most of the CA arc characters are better written and developed than literally the entire OP cast. Thanks, in part, to Togashi not being 100% reliant on tragic backstories to force people to care. OP characters are largely static and have become caricatures of themselves over time.
>>
>>139264911
One Piece has depth and a lot of romanticism in its core. In some sort of sense, it's a classical hero's journey structure, but with great enphasis on ideals of freedom and preservation of history in order to achieve peace.

Meanwhile, HunterXHunter is a deconstruction of the hero's journey and talks a lot about what makes humans valuable and worthless. Corruption, grief, violence. It's a fucked up world where a smile can still shine. The idea of a massive and lethal world that can only be conquered by guts is also a bit romantic, but it's more grounded to human values and psychology.

You could even compare HxH to JOJO and you would have a more balanced comparison about human's will.

I like them both, if it's not obvious.
>>
>>139264911
They are both shit but HxH is a sloppy shit
>>
>hxhfags knows good writing

kek
>>
>>139274159
She was the jack of all trades, could you imagine everyone ganging up on Pitou like they did Youpi or Killua shitting on Pouf's clone?
>>
>>139273873
>...yes, at least more acceptable than "fuck all my angst meant jackshit...TIME TO HULK MODE!"
Nice to see you've given up trying to present actual arguments, now you're pretty much just shitposting.
>that original statement was about how in the moment luffy reacted more realistically
What do you mean? Did you forget Gon had several breakdowns as well, and they were all more realistic than getting over it after less than a fucking month because some dude punched you. At first Gon was extremely frustrated because he couldn't take his anger out on Pitou and refused to comprehend the situation. Then when Pitou told him that Kite was dead, he broke down again and kept alterning between blaming himself and Pitou and eventually he couldn't he even deluded himself into thinking maybe Pitou was lying to him.

>saying "I don't care" isn't the same as saying "I'm going to kill myself" learn the difference.
In context, saying "i don't care if this is the end" implies he doesn't care if it kills him. Do you honestly lack reading comprehension to that degree? To add to that, when Pitou takes his arm off, he says he doesn't care and feels he's been redeemed "a little", which implies that to feel completely redeemed, he'd have to give up a lot more. He also doesn't stop when Killua warns him, which clearly shows he knows what he's doing.
>how conscious that decision is seems very questionable considering the emotional state gon was in at the point
Being conscious of your actions and being rational are two different things. If someone is in deep emotional distress and tries to kill themselves, does it mean they're not aware they're about to commit suicide?
>it makes it more of an asspull in that not only did it let Gon beat pitou, but beat pitou CASUALLY! no contest. Makes all the tension before seem almost laughable.
You do not know what asspull means, it has nothing to do with that. And even then you're wrong because it wasn't meant to be a satisfying fight.
>>
>>139274159
Youpi was the strongest physically but Pitou was the best nen user
>>
File: 299.jpg (136 KB, 750x1085) Image search: [Google]
299.jpg
136 KB, 750x1085
>>139273873
I think the narration in the CA arc was flawless. From one panel to another, there is a lot of things that are left open to interpretation, and the narrator is there to guide it somehow. In pic related, there's an emphasis in the chronological order of the events and the way the characters react during the course of action, something that it's really necessary in this kind of tense moments.
Of course, if you are talking about the Madhouse anime, I would agree with you. I won't even try to defend it, because they really ruined it.

And I knew what kind of deconstruction you were talking about, but HxH doesn't really analyze the kind of tropes used in shonen manga, so I don't think it's applicable here.
>>
>>139274373
>Nice to see you've given up trying to present actual arguments, now you're pretty much just shitposting.
Nice to see you've given up trying to present actual arguments and jumped straight to using meme terms

>What do you mean? Did you forget Gon had several breakdowns as well, and they were all more realistic than getting over it after less than a fucking month because some dude punched you.

I don't understand why you are so focused on time frame rather than context. You realize that I've been being lenient by not pointing out the fact that Gon LITERALLY DIDN"T GIVE A FUCK or learn ANYTHING after he was healed. Like immediately. It was like it never even happened at all. At least we saw luffy realistically break down at the realization that he failed and he lost so many things he fought hard to protect and how strong of a relationship he had with Ace.

Gon got mad af for a guy as far as we saw he didn't even know nearly as well to the point where he had murderous intent on innocent people and completely shat on people who he should have a closer relationship with ike killua. That's not realistic that's fucking psychotic.

>At first Gon was extremely frustrated because he couldn't take his anger out on Pitou and refused to comprehend the situation. Then when Pitou told him that Kite was dead, he broke down again and kept alterning between blaming himself and Pitou and eventually he couldn't he even deluded himself into thinking maybe Pitou was lying to him.

This looks like it was written by a 13 year old. S...sir, are you 13? Also this doesn't change the fact that it was an emotion based power up an asspull

>In context, saying "i don't care if this is the end" implies he doesn't care if it kills him.
NO FUCKING SHIT! that is NOT I repeat NOT the same as saying "I'm doing this to kill myself" which you implied with your first statement. So I reiterate, saying "I don't care" is not the same as saying "I'm going to kill myself"
>>
>>139274373

>Being conscious of your actions and being rational are two different things. If someone is in deep emotional distress and tries to kill themselves, does it mean they're not aware they're about to commit suicide?

Actually yes, in fact it happens often people get the idea to commit suicide and when they actually try to do it they back out upon the realization of what they're actually doing. The difference between being aware of your decision and being rational isn't a concern with what you implied. You spoke as if it wasn't an emotion based power up by saying Gon consciously made the decision to "kill himself". so yes it could have been a conscious choice but it wasn't based in rationale or logic, it was based on emotion. So you didn't disprove anything.

>You do not know what asspull means,
Teach me oh shwamy

>it has nothing to do with that. And even then you're wrong because it wasn't meant to be a satisfying fight.
this makes 0 fucking sense

Go back to school kid.
>>
>>139274140
Have you actually read HxH? It's the complete opposite. The characters are all more nuanced and have more depth to them than what you'd find in OP. Even fucking the octopus guy is a better written Usopp.
Ging is a really interesting character because he's so flawed. He's a fucking piece of shit but he's aware of it and is genuinely a nice guy. He's shy and stubborn to the point where he seems condescending but he also admits his own flaws and that he gets into bad situations because he talks more than he thinks.
Kurapika's entire arc is the opposite of what you said, during Yorkshin he feels like trash for killing someone and shifts his priorities to getting Gon and Killua back after he put them in danger. He even gets sick because he felt like a shit person during the hostage situation, and by the end of the arc he sort of half gives up on revenge and instead focuses on giving his family a proper funeral.
Kite and Leorio aren't anything special so far though, Kite was just a fairly generic strict and serious but really nice mentor guy and Leorio's just a guy who wants to be of help to others and cares deeply about his friends.

>he doesn't care about the characters besides the main ones and the villains
That's a flat out lie, people often complain about CA because it introduced a lot of new characters and spent a lot of time developing and exploring them, even minor ones like Welfin.
>>
>>139264911
Nope.
I watched at leats half of it a few years ago, but it couldn't keep me interested. I've loved OP for years.
Just my opinion, though.
>>
>>139274653
Think about how much stronger these panels would be if the art didn't look like shit, and there were no boxes.

How much stronger the impact would be in SHOWING these emotions and letting people come to their own conclusions on the motivations and events they're witnessing.

All this narration is telling me is that "They're sad and shocked mereum got killed."

Even something subtle like "Youpi...that can't mean..." Would be stronger than having these narration boxes. Or even something that cleverly shows denial like "Youpi, this isn't the time to joke around" or "This can't be real..."

My entire point is, it's always better to when you can show and not tell. Narration has a place but it should NEVER be to speak for the characters when they can speak for themselves.
>>
Haven't read the HxH manga, but the CA arc in the anime blows big dick. Killed my interest in the series.
>>
File: Hunter X Hunter v27-140.jpg (2 MB, 4074x3056) Image search: [Google]
Hunter X Hunter v27-140.jpg
2 MB, 4074x3056
>>139274877
Holy shit, please never attempt to write or draw a work of fiction. You are taking babby's first literary guideline, misunderstanding it, and adding in your own awful, nonsensical rule about making characters speak. The dialogue you just suggested is exactly why the narration is so effective, because it doesn't force the characters talk during important moments instead of just experiencing them. Narration separate to the characters thoughts and dialogue gives the audience information without it needing to be 'characterized', it creates a sense of distant objectivity rather than emotional bias or melodrama.

Just picked a random page as an example, it would look stupid as fuck if Morel or Youpi were commenting on the situation when they're busy fighting, and it would take emphasis away from the more impactful but less informative dialogue in the speech bubble.
>>
>>139270021
autism the post
>>
>>139274767
>meme terms
Please explain to me what your point was then, anyone can post stupid ironic shit like you did without presenting an argument.

>time frame rather than context
You're the one who started babbling about realistic reactions, i'm pointing out that getting over it so quickly didn't fit with it.
>Gon LITERALLY DIDN"T GIVE A FUCK or learn ANYTHING after he was healed.
Have you actually read this series? After being healed the first thing he did was apologize to Ging, Kite and Killua. He admitted he did things wrong and swore that he would do things differently, like Ging told him. Did you really miss that part?

>S...sir, are you 13?
I really hope you see the irony.
>Also this doesn't change the fact that it was an emotion based power up an asspull
It wasn't triggered by emotion or an asspull, and i was arguing why i thought Gon's reactions were more realistic. Since you're not adressing any of it that probably means you conceded.

>NO FUCKING SHIT! that is NOT I repeat NOT the same as saying "I'm doing this to kill myself"
Again, you're not adressing any of my other points. That sentence, coupled with other information we have and what he said later, shows that he was aware this was going to kill him.

>>139274796
>so yes it could have been a conscious choice
Glad you're conceding again, we're getting somewhere.
>but it wasn't based in rationale or logic, it was based on emotion.
Which is completely irrelevant, you tried to imply that it was triggered by anger. It was an irrational decision, yes, but it was still a decision rather than transforming because he was angry a la super sayian.

>Teach me oh shwamy
An asspull is something the author comes up with that doesn't obey previously established rules and wasn't hinted at. Again, a fight being fair or not has literally nothing to do with it.

>this makes 0 fucking sense
I'm sorry anon, i think you might be legitimately retarded.
>>
>>139264911
Solely on writing i would say hxh is better, however they both have such shit fanbases as evident in this thread.
>>
Stop samefagging HxHfags.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 728x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 728x455
>>139271787
Take that back
>>
>>139265272
>if he doesn't work himself to death
>literally break every 2 chapters
this 'Oda is the hardest working mangaka' meme has to stop.
>>
>>139271846
I feel like this is copypasta
>>139266211
This is why chimera arc is my favorite, despite the narration occasionally drawing out obvious things/over-explaining

Gon was acting pure fucking evil for a minute there threatening to kill an innocent blind girl
>>
Threadly reminder that One piece of shit is shit
Reminder that pito is a girl
Reminder that pito is best girl
>>
>>139271861
It's a commonly depressing defense in about 90% of all storytelling, including books, other cartoons and shows

If people aren't willing to give something a chance beyond at least the first season, chapter, etc., then that's their problem, not the story's
>>
>>139277923
The editors force him to take breaks m8
>>
Are we talking about anime or manga?
Because there's no way OP's anime get close to 1/10 of hxh level
>>
HxH is good but i started to watch it only to not be bored while waiting for the next One Piece chapter.
>>
>>139278036
Exactly why hxh is better in terms of writing, it doesn't have characters that are good for the sake of being good and the same for its villians, unlike OP which heavily uses while trying to use shitty dramatic flashbacks to get cheap empathy.
>>
>>139274877
>something subtle like '...that can't mean...
>something that cleverly shows denial

hahahahahahhahahahahahah
>>
File: 1443215686453.png (2 MB, 2360x1418) Image search: [Google]
1443215686453.png
2 MB, 2360x1418
>>139273384
>>
>>139268848
>consistent
You mean repetitive
>>
>>139273160
>Luffy broke down and a handful of chapters afterwards it was as if nothing happened

What irked me about the chairman arc is how happy Gon was through the whole thing. After many instances of being angry, distraught and other times just pure evil, none of that character development maintained after the chimera arc. It's as if nothing happened

I know he was glad to be recovered, seeing all his friends and Ging, but him breaking down in front of ging felt purely comical and not genuine.

The music had a lot to do with it iirc. I should have read the manga, maybe I would feel differently about it
>>
>>139273144
The Zoldyck arc reveals that there are 5 siblings. Alluka is the 5th.
>>
>>139274767
But he did learn. Did you even read the election or DC arc?
>>
>>139275452
>stop trying to have a discussion

K bro
>>
One Piece has its flaws. Too reliant on flashbacks, no characters can die meaning there's little tension and Luffy being too powerful for the villains to put up a good fight.

Hunter x Hunter is overrated garbage that only gets points from retards who think it's a good deconstruction, but it isn't. "Adult Gon" is retarded. It's the most clichéd transformation you can possibly have AND it invalidated Pitou, didn't even get a fight.

Hunter x Hunter before Chimera Ant is mostly shit and there's barely any of it, I would hazard a guess HxH is about 1/4th the length of OP in story, and while I'd say some of One Piece is not good, only parts of the Phantom Troupe arc (not all of it) and the CA arc are even worth the time.

The problem with Togash is because of his illness or whatever, all the hiatuses, he can't finish what he started anymore. Yu Yu Hakosho had a similar problem, it was great (MUCH better than HxH) up until the Sensui arc, specifically with Sensui himself, a shitty villain with 7 forms but only Kazuya even mattered.

I digress though, HxH's real problem is it tries to be a subversion but it fails even there. One Piece tries to do world building and make logical sense at all, it has depth. HxH is so rushed, half-assed and ultimately shitty that everything is pulled right out of Togashi's cancer-ridden asshole.

I also never understood why anyone likes Killua. It's a 12yo with white hair who's an assassin and rides a skateboard. I've seen meme images of Sonic OCs on here that are less edgy.
>>
File: 1424568458871.jpg (132 KB, 467x711) Image search: [Google]
1424568458871.jpg
132 KB, 467x711
>>139278673
I think it was meant to be comical and genuine, comical because it was really awkward for Ging but at the same time it's a child talking about how much the whole thing traumatized him.
Either way his head was more clear so he could reflect on those events, he even says something to Leorio about how he felt like he really lost it in front of Pitou and said horrible things. I think he learned from the experience.
>>
>>139279379
The end of the CA arc is shit too. Fucking radiation poisoning? What a crock of shit. That arc was so promising but it delivered on absolutely nothing in the end. All that's salvageable is Netero's fight, Mureum or whatever barely does anything.

I know this is meant to be really deep, but even some of the obscurer arcs in One Piece had better fights and more substance. You can have both, Hunter x Hunter has neither. Also the leader of the Phantom Troupe, Mr. 0, is a shitty character with no depth who is essentially an edgy rip off of Crocodile, who himself is not a particularly strong OP villain. OP has literally 10x the amount of characters and the average quality is still much higher.

P.S.S. Leorio is not a main character, Kirapika is only a main character up until the Phantom Toupee arc ends, Gon and Killua are shit. Morel was a better MC than either of those faggots.
>>
>>139279379
>using the word overrated as actual criticism
>saying something is clichéd without explaining why
>thinking antagonists only have worth if they have muh fights
>calling something shit without explaining why
>thinking YYH is better than HxH when even its author said it was trash because of Jump
>complaining about the hiatus and then calling it rushed and half-assed
>asking why people like a character while describing at the very start of the series before he gets any development

I want to believe this is bait but OPfags are pretty fucking retarded, so i'll still give you the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>139279669
You actually read all of that retatd's post?I'm sorry.
>>
>>139279481
Leorio and Kurapika have been the main characters of the current arc.
>>
>>139279481
You sound so mad
>>
>>139279481
>What a crock of shit.
How? It fit the themes and it was unexpected while making sense. Even if you complain about anticlimaxes, do you think using a nuclear bomb isn't a big deal or something?
>That arc was so promising but it delivered on absolutely nothing in the end.
See my point above. Are you seriously upset because you didn't get an epic final fight?
>Mureum or whatever barely does anything.
That was the entire point, he never actually stood a chance.
>even some of the obscurer arcs in One Piece had better fights and more substance
Like what? I can't recall a single part of One Piece that had any form of substance. It's all the exact same shit. The fights are pretty underwhelming too, Oda doesn't take much risk and as a result the strategies aren't as creative as they could be and the fights don't have tension.
>a shitty character with no depth who is essentially an edgy rip off of Crocodile
How is Chrollo similar to Crocodile at all? The only thing i can think of would be the hair. Also if you're going to complain about a lack of depth you really shouldn't bring up OP villains.
>OP has literally 10x the amount of characters and the average quality is still much higher.
Are you joking or delusional? OP has a million bland and completely one dimensional characters who get tossed away sometimes in the arc they're introduced in. Most of the crew also has the depth of a puddle, especially Luffy.
>P.S.S. Leorio is not a main character, Kirapika is only a main character up until the Phantom Toupee arc ends
So they're not MCs because you said so? They're even the MCs of the current arc so your point falls apart.
>Gon and Killua are shit
You keep calling things shit without explaining why, do you really have no reasoning to back it up?

If this is bait then 9/10 made me reply, if not consider killing yourself soon.
>>
>>139272118
I'll take the killua poster over most of the 1999 vs 2011 shitposting.
>>
File: togashit.jpg (59 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
togashit.jpg
59 KB, 600x800
Who is going to protect this smile when he comes back?
>>
>>139268603
>10 episodes

stop reading right there
>>
>>139264911
Even Naruto is better than OP because it actually ended instead of recycling the same shit over and over until his author dies.
>>
>>139281469
Fuck off narutard, dont even compare a show that copied so much from hxh to OP.
>>
why people obsess with "muh deep" plot..do you watch mr bean and monty phyton for deep plot
>>
>>139272388
I love crazy impossible worlds, so I'm fine with it, but I can see why some people dislike it.

animu/mango where the oceans are lava when
>>
>>139278353
why blackbeard is bad
>>
>>139281633
mr bean and monty python are my favorite animes, fuck off
>>
>>139281469
>sasuke tries to kill naruto and sakura
>naruto and sakura still have mercy on him
>bu-but muh friendship

what a faggot
>>
>>139281769
what a retard..you watch them for enjoyment..not like theyre anime
>>
File: Screenshot (12).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (12).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>139264911
>>
>>139272081
>implying he missed my heart
>>
>>139281538
>narutard
Nope.
>copied so much from hxh to OP
So what?At least it didn't copied itself to keep the cashcow and threw an infinite number of unexplained shit over the years in order to hook you into reading and waiting for answers like a retard.
>>139281789
Did you miss the part where it ended?
>>
>>139279379
>>139279481
Jesus christ that was painful to read, you started a good point with the world-building yet completely fumbled it because you didn't example why. Your argument basically boils down to the fact that since HxH doesn't focus on the fights it's complete shit in comparison to OnePiece. So, Chimera Ant didn't end in some epic battle like it was promised or Gon completely wrecked Pitou in one chapter those were the points and were something different compared to townspeople cheer on Luffy as he delivers final blow to big bad. Also Chrollo has way more depth and complexity than the typical mustache - whirling evil villain from OP, he's like Doflamingo except he puts his subordinates and his legacy before himself and he challenges Kurapika's ideals of whether to get revenge or save his friends.
>>
Yes infinitely better.
>>
>>139282763
Don't bother to reply him. That's a copypasta. The last sentence of the first message says it all.
>I've seen meme images of Sonic OCs on here that are less edgy
>>
File: 80f.png (470 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
80f.png
470 KB, 600x614
Let`s talk about the best mangaka, and the best shonen out there. Suddenly Kubo enters the thread.

HxH has a better plot than OP tho.
>>
>>139281301
finally some new pic of this bastard, not the 10+ years people often post.
He starts to bald.
>>
>>139275255
>Doesn't force the characters to talk during important moments

What part of simply not having words also being effective did you not understand. and wtf are you bringing up emotional bias and melodrama as if those aren't the things people are entertained by a series with. People don't read comics or hell even books to get a sense of distant objectivity, they read them to form an emotional or philosophical connection the content of the story.

Also I didn't pick that page I replied to someone who pointed that page out. How the fuck can you read a text and narration ridden series like HXH and not read a simple 4chan thread?
>>
>>139275354

My point was obvious, you keep insisting that somehow luffy's recovery is bullshit because it happened after weeks of his breakdown and you oversimplified the fuck out of his recovery.
So I did a similar thing, and brought it back to the original point of the argument being about the context of each characters breakdown and simplified the fuck out of gon's breakdown. I thought you were won o deh smrt kidz who red HXH.

And yea let's compare the situations here, Luffy was presented with absolute failure and was ready to give up everything else he worked for. He had forgotten why he set out to be a pirate in the first place and the crew he had that were still waiting for him, When he is reminded of this fact and forced to accept reality, he knows he can't just give up now and he works hard to ensure he can finish the journey he started.

Gon treats killua like shit, threatens to murder an innocent person and is driven by rage an entire arc and ends up in the long run paying no real consequences for it. Oh I guess he loses his superpowers but it won't be long before he's crying in the rain.

Gon apologizes for not being strong enough to fight with kite, never for the shitty things he did. So this entire point your making is flawed. Apologizing for something unrelated to your fuck up is not showing you give a fuck about what you actually did and put people through.
I'm not even going to talk about how kite coming back after everything that happened makes Gon's entire breakdown so fucking gross.

GON TRANSFORMED IN A MOMENT OF EMOTIONAL WEAKNESS. This is just pure denial now, are you really going to try and divorce emotion completely from his transformation? Then do me a favor and not respond to this because you're clearly to thick headed and stubborn to accept your boy pulled a super saiyan.
>>
Gon-san isn't an asspull, that shit was foreshadowed.

Alluka on the other hand is the biggest asspull in history.
>>
>>139265358
>HxH
>Strategy
come on dude, up until CA arc there was no real planning and the fights aren't really that different from the usual powerup with the power of friendship.
>>
>>139275354

Also you still really don't understand the difference between "I'm going to use a life risking atttack to succeed with a task" and "I want to kill myself, so I'm going to use this life ending atttack.

and holy shit why'd you even argue if you can't defend yourself against my points. You just ignored the other half of my comment lol, read the whole thing again, if you can't do yourself afavor and DON"T RESPOND. It'll save you and me some time.

Boy, the previously established rules clause that HXH fans like to add on to the accepted definition of an asspull is what keeps you guys from seeing how Adult gon obivously is. You know what I'm going to do you a favor here, I'm going to point out an asspull in OP that breaksdown this logic.

By your logic Gear 2nd isn't an asspull despite the fact it came out of nowhere and luffy only vaguely referenced it once a while waaay before even getting to enies lobby, because it follows the previously estab;ished rules that luffy is made of rubber and it works based on that. If you can agree gear 2nd is an asspull then you HAVE to agree Adult Gon is one as well, and since I know you so well anon I know you won't accept that, prove me wrong.

Also calling someone retarded isn't an argument, if you're shit makes no sense, explain it properly.
>>
The point is.. HxH every arc is different.

One Piece, every arc is the same, change the island repeat, copy paste. etc.
>>
>>139280024
Nuclear radiation is used solely as a plot device to kill off Meureum, Youpi and Shialabouf. It's never established before that Netero has a nuclear bomb, that wasn't too bad. (although Meureum's fight was boring and he does nothing fun. It's all Netero and his deity puppet) Where I draw the line is killing Youpi and Shialabouf off screen.

Meureum is built up to be this intimidating villain but in the end it comes down to this melodramatic story with the blind checkers (?) player. I found it very underwhelming.

>Are you seriously upset you didn't get an epic fight?
Yes obviously, the fights were bad. For reference I liked both Morel fights and what Togashi seemed to be building up to but didn't deliver on at all. YuYu Hakosho had good fights and a better story than Hunter x Hunter, without so many annoying characters and terrible arcs like the Hunter Exam or Killua's family, both go nowhere.

>That was the entire point
A one-sided fight could still have given Mureum some fun abilities. All he does is whip his tail around and be generically super duper strong. It's boring, even the rabbit guy from earlier was more interesting. Don't give me bullshit about "that's the point", see the Dark Tournament arc in YYH for good fights and a climactic storyline.

I'm a fan of One Piece in general, I admit it's not "subverting" the genre or a deconstruction but at least it's not pretentious and wanking over itself like Hunter x Hunter, it's actually well executed. For example the first real arc, Fishman Island, has emotional investment and good fights. Skypea's touches on some interesting ideas with the society built around Enel, and the fight has fun dynamics with Luffy getting strapped to a metal ball he has to play around with - you know, fun. HxH's boring fights are just that, and the story around them doesn't have enough time to develop either. The characters from the first half of CA arc got more development than Meureum, Pitou, Youpi or Shialabouf.
1/2
>>
>>139284629
Did you pay no attention during the entirety of the phantom troupe arc?Even the greed island arc had some,neither one of these had anything to do with friendship power ups or ass pulls such as that.
>>
>>139280024
Crollo may as well be (or is? I don't remember) called Mr. 0 and has a similar band of villains as minions, Togashi also tries to carry him off as a mysterious figure who has another persona. Yes, it's not perfectly accurate, but the point is Crocodile is better executed. He's kept in the shadows and he's remotely successful at being intimidating, it's a pay off of a long arc of development and build up. It's not all delivered on, but its another example of Oda being able to build up to a remotely satisfying climax, and it's not done with a plot device like a nuclear bomb in the end. HxH Togashi would probably have the bomb in that arc explode and kill all the characters, and certain fans would say how daring it was, and how it's good there's no "epic final fight" because that would be too expected!
>OP has a million bland characters
Perhaps, but it has so many more characters than HxH it can afford to have some crappier ones. For what you say about the crew, there's any real development to them that means anything, like Usopp turning on Luffy the one time, the way Nami leaves early on, Franky in Water 7. They do settle into the crew later, but it's better than being written out like Kirapika and Leorio in CA. Lets not pretend Dark Continent is an arc. It's permanently on hiatus and has been for years.

I already explained in part why I think Gon and Killua are shit characters. Basically, they have no depth, almost no reason to even be in the CA arc besides the fact they were main characters previously in this series. It's very easy to imagine the arc replacing them with new characters. They have no investment besides Kite... and that could've been good but ultimately just led to Gon doing a more retarded version of super saiyan. You can make a head canon over how that makes any sense or is foreshadowed at all, but you must realise that it's an ass pull. Killua is even less relevant and has more plot armour than Luffy.
2/2
>>
>>139284392
Not him, but iirc, gon did apologize to killua
>>
>how emotionaly deep and more interesting HxH characters get

Cuz most of the characters in quimera arc were well known and not rushed to make the arc happen ^^

HxH is shit and the new arc also will be, like the final arc in yu yu hakusho.
Togashi's plot are as bad as his drawings.
>>
>>139282763
>Chimera Ant didn't end in some epic battle
It didn't have a good ending in any way. From what I gathered it seemed extremely rushed and half-assed, you can't seriously believe Togashi's goal was to end on the nuclear bomb plot device. It reminded me of the end of the original Devilman manga or NGE, a huge ass pull desperately trying to close the story, so Togashi can go on another vacation, I mean hiatus.

Chrollo's about as complex as some minor villain in One Piece like Captain Kuro. It's a mobster who has some vague psychic powers, this makes him a deep character, but I personally think the fedora is cutting off oxygen to your brain. Explain to me how "Kurapika's ideals" is objectively deep when it's rushed and has no development.

It's also bad when it is explained in pages of exposition in the manga, or minutes of narration in the anime.
>>
>>139264911
It is true. It can't be helped.
>>
Not really. Hunter wins in some aspects and loses in others. And would not put emotional depth as HxH victory, not when OP has W7 and FI arcs.
>>
>>139284392
>Pulled a super saiyan
The concept behind it was explained thoroughly that anyone who read it and isn't a retard could understand how it works... read the following. >>139278516
>>
>>139285912
>Gon getting angry is foreshadowed
>power up is generically referenced in walls of text in manga known for walls of text
wow it's nothing
>>
>>139285912
how can you be a speedreader and a HXH fan?

My entire point is just because something follows a line of logic based on previously established rules doesn't mean it's not an asspull. Otherwise gear 2nd wouldn't be an asspull either, neither would Toriko's demons or a lot of asspulls in manga I'm too lazy to name right now.

Also let's be honest here, for as much over explanation as togashi did this aspect of nen is easily his most exploitable. If what Gon did follows that law of putting a limitation on your nen, then how are we going to take any moment seriously when we know "that nigga should have just put a limitation on his nen"

Kurapika is broken because of this, Adult Gon was broken because of this and in kurapika's case he didn't even need to sacrifice much.

If we won't accept that Adult Gon is an asspull the very least we can accept it's a deus ex machina.
>>
>>139264911
All shounen fans are the same. The shounen they like get put on a pedestal, and the ones they haven't seen are overrated trash.

One Piece and HxH are both decent for different reasons.
>>
>>139285118
How was Meruem not intimidating for most of the arc? He is the strongest character in the series in raw power at this point and made both Zeno and Netero shit their pants just by walking past them. He didn't really need to do anything like make up techniques on the fly to fight Netero he just strong man his way through it, boring on paper probably, which is why Togashi wrote it mostly from Netero's viewpoint. To create tension in a unwinnable physical battle.

Just because he has emotional attachment to Komugi before the Rose doesn't mean he wasn't intimidating and before the plot twist that he was dying he seemed even more unstoppable because of the powers he got from Pouf and Youpi. He stopped being scary because he knew he lost in the long run and just wanted to spend his final moments with Komugi, which no matter how hamfisted it was conveyed was a pretty poignant message.
Fights are pretty subjective, either you love them or hate them. Was Knuckle and company vs Youpi not a fun fight? It seemed like it was exactly like Luffy vs Enel in terms of excitement.
Chrollo is more like Crocodile than I realize but he is still a pretty mysterious figure since we have no idea his motives for doing what he does and neither does he. Yeah, his threat levels were sucked out by Kurapika's chain jail but the tension really came from the hostage situation at the end of the arc, since Kurapika seems like less of a main character than Gon or Killua we had no idea if he would get out of the arc completely unscathed especially since he was facing off against his nemesis.
Also Oda isn't above using plot devices like nuclear bombs and doomsday type weapons to move the plot towards its climax. Examples; The sun in Thriller Bark, the Buster Call, Birdcage, Enel's giant thunderball, Noah, the bomb in Alabasta, and the gas in Punk Hazard.
>>
ONE PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>139285562
Since you called me a fedora-wearer I know for a fact that you can't have a rational conversation without resorting to personal insults. But I'll tell you anyway that Chimera Arc has a good ending and it isn't rushed, you're confusing a anti-climax with whenever Evangelion's eps 24 and 25 were. It tied everything nicely together in the end and the Election arc is basically a expansion of the arc since it dealt with Gon's condition and the hole left by Netero's passing, which is why Meruem and Komugi's corpses were shown at the end of it.
Also I personally find Chrollo to be more complex than say someone like Kuro because he doesn't come off as completely evil even though is he probably the most evil character in the series, just my thoughts.
How is Kurapika's ideals rushed and have no development when he is deciding between placing more value on getting absolute revenge or saving his friend who have been with him since the start of the manga? How is it rushed when taking down the troupe is his major goal in the story? And if you have problems with his relationship with Gon and Killua then you should have the same problem with the strawhats which seems even more rushed since they all basically got to know each other in the span of months and are willing to die for each other.
>>
>>139286435
He is legitimately intimidating at the start, but that fight, and the friendship with Kugo are all he does in the latter part of the arc, and he comes in very late. If you look at all he does, it's killing some villagers, taking over from Kim Il-sung (which was actually pretty great) and then playing random games. It'd all be okay, if that wasn't it, I expected him to do a lot more. Compare it to some of the bigger One Piece villains like Doflamingo, Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, they've got far more screen time.

The second half of the arc inside of the palace is very underwhelming, in the manga it's flooded with expository text boxes, in the anime it's in slow motion, which makes it hard to tolerate. The fights with Youpi were the closest thing to a satisfying climax, and that was kind of a clusterfuck, just not well thought out. Youpi was far more of a main villain than Meureum but then he ends up killed by radiation, off screen. The credit basically goes to the wolf guy who is a terrible character. This guy walks around "investigating" the area for what seems like hours accomplishing nothing. Worst character in the arc.

The hostage situation just came across as tacky and convenient for the plot to me, and I vastly preferred what happened earlier with Uvogin, which was the real highlight. Later on, and it's fairly obvious even then, they end up "reviving" Crollo more-or-less anyway, it was pretty much a given. There's just no believability in any of it and this is a running theme with HxH.

The Oda plot devices are generally established and play a big part in the arc. The sun is a huge element in what happens in Thriller Bark and doesn't play a part in the climax, same for Buster Call, Birdcage. The giant thunderball is actually a fun part of the fight and worked into it, not a plot device. The bomb is pretty crappy I agree, Alabasta has a pretty big clusterfuck at the end, but all the bomb really does is create a time limit.
1/2
>>
>walls of text

Where did you people come from and why are you doing this?
>>
File: 08.jpg (92 KB, 750x1093) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
92 KB, 750x1093
>>139285562
Sidenote- Do you read the manga? If Togashi wanted to just end the Chimera Ant arc abruptly why did he stay to do a entire story arc before going on hiatus?
Also
>Chapter from August 2011, one year before the series came back with the miniature Rose plot twist. Totally not foreshadowing, with the blood from Youpi's nose.
>>
>>139264911
There are things that HxH does better than One Piece (like fights) and there are things that One Piece does better than HxH (like Worldbuilding). I enjoy both but when it comes to pure entertainment One Piece has the edge.
>>
>>139286435
The gas in Punk Hazard is pretty bad too and it even contributes to the sense that arc is rushing along far too fast with similar problems to the latter half of the CA arc. Here's the thing though: PH is one of about 10 arcs in One Piece, CA is objectively the best arc in HxH out of like, 5 if we're being very generous (I'd say it's more like 2 with that and the Troupe arc) and it has this ham-fisted ending. That's why One Piece is better written and is the huge success of the two, not least because of Togashi's inconsistent writing, drawing and hiatuses.

>>139286935
You say Chimera Ant has a good ending but I don't see how? It's all based on a big plot device in the radiation, Netero's handled well, but that's about the only character who doesn't go full retard one way or another. Gon comes out of the arc basically unfazed despite his transformation. There's nothing sacrificed and any interest is wasted on that plot thread. You can see any depth in the execution of the ending but I seriously see most people on YouTube commenting on this wearing fedoras, which is why I said that. That's the HxH fanbase.

Kurapika's ideals are handled okay, but then he's written out for CA anyway. He's a much better character than Killua or Gon, but is wasted for what is arguably the final important arc before another huge hiatus (who knows if Togashi will ever continue Dark Continent?) I do have some problems with the recent Strawhats, but they weren't a) written out b) did absolutely nothing useful in an arc like Leorio and c) there's several times more of them than the HxH protagonists at any given point, so it's understandable that their importance gets to be thinly spread. They still come off as a lot more relevant in their less personal arcs than Killua or Gon in CA, which is by far the most important HxH arc, not even close. You could argue that Alabasta, Skypea, Dressrosa, W7 are all the biggest arcs in OP or more, strawhats do stuff in all of them. 2/2
>>
>>139273732
The backstorys are pretty much one of the best parts of One Piece.
>There isn't a single good one.
Oh you are trolling? Well, at least you are part of the 1% with this kind of opinion. You people also have to exist I guess.
>>
The CA arc is fucking overrated. Why do so much people praise it now? I remember a few years back when pretty much everyone shat on it.
>>
Is Hisoka the most entertaining villain in anime?

Is Hisoka a villain?
>>
>>139264911
>A friend of mine was arguing about how emotionaly deep and more interesting HxH characters get, while in OP it's "all about friendship", and I coudn't respond to that.

Both you and your 'friend' sound like fucking faggots, from /v/, since both of you are too fucking stupid to appreciate One Piece and Hunter Hunter for what they are, instead of stupidly comparing them.

Doing so is almost as fucking stupid as comparing either series to Jojo, when none of these series have enough in common for a fair comparison.
>>
>>139287889
Baby's first shounen, and them subsequently joining /a/.
>>
>>139287965
He's like edgy version of Buggy.
>>
>>139287889
>Why do so much people praise it now?

Because the 2011 anime brought in a new wave of cancer that never went away. Skimming through this thread makes it painfully obvious these are the shitters replying to this bait thread.

That's why this thread got so many replies, when most HxH manga/'99fags were genuinely Jojo/OP/Berserkfags that shit on these threads by principle.

It's like those stupid "Bleach > OP. Discuss." troll threads from five years ago, which were nothing but an echo chamber of salty Narutards shitposting and self-bumping their threads.
>>
>>139288389
>Because the 2011 anime brought in a new wave of cancer that never went away. Skimming through this thread makes it painfully obvious these are the shitters replying to this bait thread.

assuming that togashi doesn't immediately go back on hiatus after bringing hxh next month, one has to expect those people to be the majority of the people posting in the manga threads.
>>
>>139264911
>right is a fag that died like a bitch
>the left is an emperor

to answer you question

Pokemon = One Piece
Digimon = Hunter x Hunter

so technically HxH is deeper and more creative but
>>
>>139287467
>>139287731
Well said and I agree with the fact that Togashi didn't write enough chapters of HxH to compared the quality to One Piece since Op is like 400 chapters ahead of HxH, which is something I mark off as a huge fault. But respectfully agree to disagree on mostly everything else.
If you're interested in reading the Dark Continent arc the manga returns on April 18th and it is putting definite deserved focus back on Leorio and Kurapika, so there's that.
>>
>>139287635
pretty much this. and also i don't get it why people can't like both in the same time.
>>
>>139272471
>Pitou is male.
fixed
>>
Unlike OP, HxH has good writing and characters.
>>
>>139289181
>and also i don't get it why people can't like both in the same time.

You can like both. That's been the sentiment with One Piece and Hunter x Hunter fanbases for years, prior to the newer anime for hxh.

This retarded notion that everything is either/or is the kind of brain-dead mentality that comes from people who spend too much time on /v/, so everything has got to either be all shit or compared for the sake of contrarian.
>>
>>139265178
Togashi's world building is great too, although it doesn't match OP's
>>
>>139284629
Almost every single fight in HxH is built on strategy of at very least one participant
>>
>>139273369
The gaseous lifeform AI, who desire Co-dependence. They're depicted as black gaseous clouds. Nanika is depicted with pitch black eyes, constantly says AYE, and is decribed by Silva as coming from "someplace else". Togashi is know for throwing shit into Hunter x Hunter and not explaining it for several chapters, like when Illumi uses nen to get Gon to let go of his broken arm.
>>
>>139264911
Hunter x Hunter tries to be 'deep' for the sake of being deep and One Piece doesn't.

One Piece is a manlier story, and by manliness, I don't mean the super-macho muscular guys like from the 80's, but more of a values-based manliness based off dedication. Like Luffy climbing 5000 meters up a vertical incline while carrying two people, or Bon-chan trudging through a frozen wasteland half-dead and fighting off a pack of wolves for Luffy, or Franky facing a train head on to save Tom, or Zoro taking all of Luffy's pain from Kuma, or Zeff giving up all his food to Sanji and cannibalizing his own leg, or Belle-mere choosing to die rather than to deny her motherhood, or Nami shouldering the burden of her entire village by working under Arlong's thumb.

That relentless self-sacrifice for the sake of your loved ones, it also expemplfies the "show, don't tell" aspect of One Piece's themes. When it comes to friendship and loyalty, Oda doesn't have his characters pay lip-service, they shed their blood, sweat, and tears to prove it by crafting these brutal scenarios to show that they are willing to do anything for their loved ones. No other shonen goes that far, least in the ones I read.

I really love both One Piece and Hunter x Hunter, but in terms of story I'd have to say One Piece is ahead by a large distance.
>>
>>139272699
But fruits can turn swords into elephants
>>
File: b8returns.png (28 KB, 357x339) Image search: [Google]
b8returns.png
28 KB, 357x339
>>139279481
>>
>>139284392
>Gon treats killua like shit
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1447939406377.png (121 KB, 1131x754) Image search: [Google]
1447939406377.png
121 KB, 1131x754
>>139264911
>OP is all about friendship
Your friend has clearly never actually read or watched One Piece. Sure, the main characters are all good friends but that makes like 99,9% out of all existing manga. There are absolutely no friendship asspulls at all, if you search for that you can recommend your friend Fairy Tail. HxH is a good watch but is has got nothing on the quality that reading One Piece delivers. And I'm saying READING on purpose, you read One Piece. Don't watch it.
>>
>>139290503
>watching HxH
>OP
>quality
opinion discarded
>>
>>139290542
You can either start arguing why HxH in your opinion is the better choice or you can just go fuck yourself because as of now you are shitting in this thread and act like it's solid gold
>>
>>139290679
kill yourself
>>
File: 1458170348520.png (162 KB, 446x430) Image search: [Google]
1458170348520.png
162 KB, 446x430
>>139290793
>>
Is amazing how many neckbeards in his 30-40's defend his nostalgia meme show HxH with long papirus and shitty arguments like muh deep
>>
>>139289547
>literally just copy/pastes real world continents and locations then slaps a creative name like "YorkNew City"
>>
Every OP arc is pretty much the same. Main characters meet local people, there's a problem in the village/city, villains get introduced, 1vs1 fights, sad backstory, main characters win, get praise from the local people and move to the next island.
The main characters are two-dimensional, everybody has a sad backstory and no serious flaws except the few ones played for comic relief.
The world building is good but that alone isn't enough to save the manga.

>>139291131
Please, take your buzzwords back to /v/, mal, reddit or wherever shithole you came from.
>>
File: 1455893157550.jpg (7 KB, 321x306) Image search: [Google]
1455893157550.jpg
7 KB, 321x306
>>139291466
>Implying the content of those locations isn't way better than One Piece's bland islands filled with characters that rarely hold any impact on the story
oh boy
>>
>>139291868
>save the manga
it almost sounds like it actually needs any saving as the most popular manga in japan and one of the most popular in the whole fucking world
>>
>>139292268
It's the characters that make HxH's settings most of the places are pretty boring location wise even Greed Island, even the early islands in OP had more distinct characteristics.
>>
>>139264911
HXH is completely different from OP they are not comparable hxh is all about psychology it focuses on the characters thoughts and feelings as they face various dangers and tribulations everything within the universe plays into the theme of expressing thoughts or emotions from nen being para psychological in nature to deconstructing rockpaper scissors.

OP is a true blue adventure manga the focus is on world building in a natural way several things that would be major plotpoints in other manga are a natural reoccurring part of the world(buster call,dance powder,slaves) its built like a giant amusemnt park.

To compare them is near impossible they both want totally different results from what they do HXH and naruto or OP and Toriko are better comparisons.
>>
>>139292879
>arguing with retards
good luck mate, you'll need it
>>
>>139264911
The short answer to this question is that it isn't. However if you want to go the pacifistic way >>139292879
gives a good explanation too.
>>
>>139291868

A /v/ermin send to /v/ top kek
>>
is there a tabletop roleplay for hunter x hunter?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.