[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen and read a lot of fanatsy anime and manga, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: meshi.jpg (121 KB, 456x652) Image search: [Google]
meshi.jpg
121 KB, 456x652
I've seen and read a lot of fanatsy anime and manga, but almost all of them seem based on D&D/Tolkien.

Is there any japanese original fantasy universe? The whole demon lord/hero deal seems to be very japanese but it's still mostly paired with the above worlds.
>>
There are tons and you just refuse to recognize them as such. Filthy nips have their own lore of monsters and hero's yet you can only pick up on the parts which resemble western mythos
>>
90% of fantasy in general is based off Tolkien, which DnD is based off of. So...
>>
What?

Most Japanese fantasy is shit like urban fantasies. Actual D&D style shit is pretty rare nowadays.
>>
File: nurarihyon.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nurarihyon.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>139067882

I guess this qualifies as Japanese fantasy?
>>
You know all the shit with Japanese spirits and traditional monsters? That's their fantasy universe. Could you be any more dense?
>>
>>139067799
There are non-earth, non-Tolkien japanese fantasies. Entry level stuff and ongoing serializations. I'm not sure how you wouldn't see them, unless you've got stricter standards than you've listed.
>>
>>139067799
sounds like your idea of fantasy is D&D/Tolkien so you dont recognize any other fantasy settings as fantasy
>>
>>139067799
Well, Dungeon Meshi is based on Wizardry, for example.

The only way that all fantasy is based on D&D/Tolkien is if you define your criteria for what entails similarity to those to be the same as (or less restrictive than) your criteria for what constitutes fantasy.
>>
>fantasy
What does this even mean?
>>
There's the Steampunk series of visual novels from Liarsoft, if you're looking for a unique Mieville-esque story. And Liarsoft also has Forest, too.
>>
>>139070350
>Steampunk
Even worse.
>>
>>139067799

A very japanese sentiment is that charismatic bad guys commit atrocities, get beaten up and then turn into good guys and their prior bad deeds are never mentioned again.

I think it has something to do with buddhist/taoist worldview where your current actions trump previous misdeeds and there is no burder of sin like there is in western christian-influenced society.

generally speaking you can be a murderious sadistic asshole but if you decide to help the protagonist then you're a-ok
>>
>>139067799
problem is /a/ doesn't count Shinto/Buddhist based fantasies as fantasy

Mononoke (both regular and hime), Mushishi, Inuyasha, those are all fantasy series set in a fantastical Japan.

Not to mention all the demons based in Makai and Jigoku

but /a/ in general (including you OP) prefers elves and dwarves more than Youkai and Onmyoji
>>
ORC HATE ELFS
>>
>>139070725
>generally speaking you can be a murderious sadistic asshole but if you decide to help the protagonist then you're a-ok
Being Nelson Mandela isn't exactly a japanese thing
>>
>>139067799
>japanese original fantasy universe
This is the anime version of a fat American family eating at McDonald's Japan while traveling there and then complaining why Japanese food is so boring.
You're not going to find real traditional Japanese fantasies when all you're looking for is elves and orcs.
Look for Shinto shit. For example, Folktales from Japan has 206 episodes.
>>
your talking about fantasies without dwarves and elves when your definition of fantasy is "series with dwarves and elves in it"

Shinto series set in Sengoku/Heian/Edo period japan are all over the place

so too are fantasies set in ancient China

Hell, Magi is based on Arabian and Persian folklore
>>
File: 1456080538495.jpg (139 KB, 600x841) Image search: [Google]
1456080538495.jpg
139 KB, 600x841
>>139069767
>based on Wizardry
Grimgar is also based on Wizardy but with a SoL approach.
>>
If you like shounenshit, Ushio to Tora is some top-notch japanese urban fantasy.
>>
>>139071419

OP here, i think my bias is less with the races, i get that yokai are their version of them. It's more that i have gotten so used to the whole medieval setting in fantasy that it's hard for me to recognize stuff like >>139068039 as fantasy
>>
>>139071732
because you're fucking retarded, we know. Kindly fuck off and get hit by a bus already.
>>
File: rude.jpg (189 KB, 686x441) Image search: [Google]
rude.jpg
189 KB, 686x441
>>139071776

Wow, rude
>>
>>139071732
Keep in mind Tolkien based all of his fantasies on medieval romanticism and norse and christian folklore. The Japanese parallel IS the Sengoku period youkai series they even have their own magic systems.

It's more about 4chan's wanking of the middle ages than Japan's (/tg/ being the DnD board, /his/, /int/, and /pol/'s crusaderwankers, the obsession with monster girls, etc.)

that and all the WNs that are based on DQ and Monster hunter
>>
>Thinks fantasy is only elves dwarves
If you don't count things that are completely out there like Kyousougiga and you just want swords and sorcery there are tons of shows like Yona of the dawn and Seirei no Moribito.
>>
>>139067799
Ushio to Tora,SengokuYouko off the top of my mind.
>>
>>139071732
Figured there was hidden bias doing filtering. Berserk, Naruto, and Magi are all technically fantasy worlds, and they're as obvious as you get. It was either bias, or bullshitting about what you've read for recs.
>>
>>139067799
As lots of people in this thread have already pointed out most "Japanese" flavoured fantasy is actually set in Japan, rather than some sort of invented world and because of this you fail to recognize it as fantasy.
There are still a fair number of of "Japanese" (or more often "east-asian-mish-mash") fantasy settings set in distinct worlds though.
Seirei no Moribito, Fushigi Yuugi, and Juuni Kokuki immediately spring to mind.
>>
File: fushigi.jpg (36 KB, 228x346) Image search: [Google]
fushigi.jpg
36 KB, 228x346
>>139072395

I guess even with my bias I'd consider stories like this fantasy. I think >>139072399 is also right and i subconsciously don't count stories set in the real world fantasy
>>
>>139072399
There's also Akatsuki no Yona.
>>
>>139072525
Well, you did say original fantasy universe, so it makes sense if Earth settings don't count. A lot of japanese fantasy just adds magic and the supernatural to Earth.

But there's still plenty that don't. Dragonball is "Earth" but with lots of weird crap and no countries that we'd really recognize. Stealth Symphony and Break Blade were sort of higher tech, non-Earth fantasies. Claymore was straight non-Earth fantasy. Full Metal Alchemist. I'm sure there are many I'm forgetting.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.