[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Disney thinks of Japan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: JPE57931.jpg (145 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
JPE57931.jpg
145 KB, 900x599
Hello /a/, I am writing an essay of Japanese culture and stereotyping, specifically in relation to the Japanese exhibit at Disneyworld Epcot, and I was hoping to catch some of your thoughts on it.

Previously it was a very serious display, portraying Japanese mythology and spirits, and how they influenced its culture and modern media.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zbOkJ6AVOg

However as of this year the exhibit was overhauled to present instead the Japanese culture as it is understood today, as the cutesy and bubbly society fueled specifically by all things Kawaii, a 'Culture of Cute'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSojOobeqyU

How does this make you feel? Is this unfair stereotyping, or is this rather a fair representation of what Japan is really like?
>>
>/jp/
>>
>>138948111
Nice Rei wig.
>>
>>138948111
They have exchange students from each represented country working there. I'm sure they just asked them. It's fine.
>>
Kill yourself fag
>>
>>138948111
>Previously it was a very serious display, portraying Japanese mythology and spirits

>he doesn't know
>>
>>138948111
Wrong board. You will have better discussion on

>>>/jp/
>>
>>138948441
No, as it turns out.
>>
>>138948111
How many times is kawaii written in that new exhibit?
>>
>>138948111
I am simultaneously amused and disgusted by the second video.
The first is fine tho
>>
>>138948441
>thinking the touhou board would actually discuss shit like this
>>
File: DISGUSITNG.jpg (204 KB, 1275x718) Image search: [Google]
DISGUSITNG.jpg
204 KB, 1275x718
>>138948111
>>
>>138948111
Japs really hate their past selves and like to pretend it never happened by obsessing with kawaii uguu
>>
>>138948111
This rustles my jimmies slightly
>>
>>138948111
Please just stop this unwittingly ironic imposition of your and your culture's values under the guise of discerning and defending Japan's true and proper identity.

Simply consider both portrayals to be accurate, inseparable components of the whole culture, which exists out there somewhere beyond the reach of yours and mine and everyone's attempts to define and categorize it.
>>
It's better to show their culture of kawaii rather than their horrible worth ethics and social system.
>>
>>138948111
I don't care about stereotyping and shit but that weeaboo trash in the second video makes me want to vomit.
>>
File: feeling.png (92 KB, 374x457) Image search: [Google]
feeling.png
92 KB, 374x457
Ask /co/ or /jp/ you fag
>>
For a moment I thought they were playing that pomf lolicon song in the background, then I realized the song was probably a parody of something in the first place.
>>
From what I've seen nowadays they're only interested in making a few bucks off of Ghibli anyways, and even then they're willing to infantilize it like with Arrietty to fit their squeeky clean image of what they think animation is.
>>
>>138948111
>OP pic

What the hell is that thing?
>>
>>138949481
Hotglue
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/jp/14959223
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.