[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Eva pretentious?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: shinjilostinthought.jpg (75 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
shinjilostinthought.jpg
75 KB, 1024x768
Is Eva pretentious?
>>
Is OP a faggot?

The answer is always yes.
>>
If you call Eva pretentious then it was literally too deep for you.
>>
>>138943220
elaborate
>>
>>138943241
Kaoru's ass
>>
File: img000005.png (401 KB, 1012x636) Image search: [Google]
img000005.png
401 KB, 1012x636
>>138943161
>>
>>138943161
Are you?
>>
>>138943161
I guess it could be called "pretentious" in the sense that it's literally the work of an author that was deep into depression because he cared too much about his characters in a previous work, and that this author is literally forcing down your throat shit about how you're not living your life correctly, even if you're not part of the intended target (see, otaku NEET shitters) whereas he's inherently not better that the people he's dissing in his work.
>>
File: ayanami.jpg (60 KB, 450x557) Image search: [Google]
ayanami.jpg
60 KB, 450x557
"pretentious" is a meaningless insult used towards anything that tries to have a little bit of depth and intellect

granted some things coughLAINcough are a little blowhardish in how much depth they attempt to have, but writing something off as "pretentious" because it has layers to it is just ignorant tbqh
>>
No, the fans are.
>>
>>138943346
Deep.
>>
Invoking religious themes without being explicitly about religion is pretty much the definition of pretentious.

It's the literary version of "it's about sex, isn't it?" for adults.
>>
>>138943479
If you're not in the intended target, you're going to have a hard time relating to the message-centric characters and therefore won't see the message. All you'll see is an okay mecha that descends into budget hell, followed up by an okay surreal/fantasy mecha with art house overtones.

And if you actually go on to watch rebuild, it'll be very clear and people not in the target audience will see a directive to mock the target audience instead of just another anime.
>>
File: lain smirk.jpg (23 KB, 490x480) Image search: [Google]
lain smirk.jpg
23 KB, 490x480
>>138943542
>he doesn't seem to understand
>>
>>138944161
i dropped this fucking show when she appeared in the sky naked like god

FUCK off
>>
>>138944161
I like Lain, but it has a number of moments where it's being weird for it's own sake.

>>138944096
Eva's religious themes are ridiculously vague and exist mostly to offer a sense of import to the proceedings. It's not pretending to be anything, you only assume it is.

Ironically, Eva is far more about sex than it is about religion.
>>
>>138944125
>If you're not in the intended target, you're going to have a hard time relating to the message-centric characters and therefore won't see the message. All you'll see is an okay mecha that descends into budget hell, followed up by an okay surreal/fantasy mecha with art house overtones.
Yeah, I was definitely not the intended target, which is probably why, as much as I understand the show and its thematics, I couldn't bring myself to like it as much as others. For me it was
>Stop being such a whiny bitch
>Asuka, why the fuck can't you deal with who you are
>Oh God, stop screaming and act, screaming won't help you
>>
File: Serial Experiments Lain 04.gif (156 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
Serial Experiments Lain 04.gif
156 KB, 500x355
>>138944272
What, too DEEP for you?
>>
No.
And you illiterate fucks should pick up a fucking book sometime. Though Eva's message is indeed applicable to NEETs, that is not to say that it is intended solely for them. The notion that we need to truly communicate with other people has been around for fucking years. Go read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

And who gives a fuck, no one gives a fuck about NGE's message, it's chimera are much more interesting.
>>
File: 1456633934744.jpg (163 KB, 900x1132) Image search: [Google]
1456633934744.jpg
163 KB, 900x1132
>>138944161
Thats a shame, he seemed to be an honest man.
>>
>>138943161
I only thought the Jesus cross in the beginning was bad. After that the next worst thing was the tendency to hold on shots too long, but that was more acceptable. Otherwise, I had no complaints.
>>
Pretentious is a meaningless buzzword for intellectual cowards.

Evangelion is deep. That is, there's a lot to discuss and chew on.
>>
File: v-starter.jpg (168 KB, 961x654) Image search: [Google]
v-starter.jpg
168 KB, 961x654
No
>>
>>138943161
no, if anything it's the opposite.

anno isn't just doing experimental and weird (for anime at the time) shit for the sake of doing it. he very much had issues and was trying to imprint them into his story to help himself and the viewer whom he identifies with (otakus).
>>
>HALLELUJAH
>>
>>138944482
I feel the same way, except I hate it because I am the target audience.
>>
>>138945485
>After that the next worst thing was the tendency to hold on shots too long, but that was more acceptable.

That's no where near as bad as the way to quickly flashes things you can't tell whether or not they are important afterwards.
>>
>>138948271
I honestly feel that the use of that music was fantastic, in spite of how unmoving and weak the actual scene was. I really couldn't bring myself to give a shit about Asuka's struggle for self esteem and the way it was written.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.