[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /a/ think of Shinsekai Yori?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Mamaria.jpg (68 KB, 769x427) Image search: [Google]
Mamaria.jpg
68 KB, 769x427
Newfag here and i just finished it. World building was amazing but pacing and characters were kinda meh for me.
>>
i didn't like the first few episodes, but it grew on me over time. Squealer did nothing wrong.
>>
I agree with you, it feels drawn out at times but I don't think it would have been better with less episodes.

Really gave a new perspective on mind powers. Freaky stuff.
>>
I thought it was fucking amazing desu
>>
I watched the first half but ended up dropping it. Had a hard time caring about the characters, and without that kind of connection I couldn't really get into it, even with the world-building.
>>
Occasional reminder that:

>we will never see the early PKers fight for survival while being hunted worldwide
>we will never see the rampages of Raman and Klogius
>we will never see a massive city turned into Chernobyl by a Karma Demon
>we will never see how fucked up life under the Emperors was
>we will never see the Bandits riding PK-powered unicycles while plundering and razing towns and villages
>>
I really loved the brainwashing.

>>138860447
Yeah, it wasn't until Shun's "problem" in the second half that I really cared about them (or at least him and the main girl).
>>
>>138860457
Were all those depicted in the original?
>>
>>138860328
i dropped it on episode 11
>>
Watched it until the timeskip and dropped it. Hated it.

Watched it again months later because /a/ KEPT TELLING ME TO FINISH IT. I now give it a 6/10. Had some entertaining plot elements but otherwise wasn't really enjoyable.
>>
>>138860447
>>138860522
I liked it even though I didn't care about the characters. Are you guys incapable of enjoying shows unless you are emotionally invested?
>>
>>138860556
No, in the novel the false minoshiro did a slightly bigger infodump, but at the end of the day, all those things were merely mentioned

the author created an amazing world, and then proceeded to do fuck-all with it

I will never not be salty about this
>>
>>138860636

The question is whether the author really needed to. The point was to give a ton of perspective to the history of the people with PK powers, and, more importantly, how it relates to the current incarnation of PK "society". In the end, it does lend a lot of credibility to Squealer's rebellion, to the point where you almost find yourself rooting for him, even if his means and methods are just as deplorable and heinous.
>>
>>138860621
Story telling must keep it's audience on THE EDGE OF THE SEAT at all times, otherwise how do they know they're enjoying themselves?
And plot development in the form of slow build up is just code for the writers were lazy and needed to pad it.
Where the 'splosions at!
>>
The worldbuilding and atmosphere in SSY was seriously fucking amazing. When they were being chased by the fiend in the boat was nerve wrecking.

Loved that shit.
>>
>>138860621
No, I can't. If I don't like the characters I have a hard time getting invested. Especially when it comes to drama. If I don't care about the characters, I'm not going to care about what is happening to them. Maybe a really interesting and well-developed setting might be enough to overcome that initially, but I find that it seldom is enough to sustain me without that personal connection.
>>
>>138861059
That moment when they get cornered at the old hospital ruins is amazingly tense.
>>
>>138860708
I think any of those five could've made much better stories than the one we ended up with
>>
>>138861360

I don't doubt that they could make great stories, but the one we got was pretty good.
>>
I watched it recently as well. Binged the whole thing in like one sitting I liked it so much. I knew I was in for a ride right from the start, it was too comfy.
>>
>>138861360
Yeah, it's a shame we got a nuanced look at a post-apocalyptic society that does ethically questionable things in order to ensure its survival instead of an epic genocidal action-filled show that could live up to the legacy of the masterpiece that is Elfen Lied.
>>
Basically /a/ thinks it's the most pretentious, overrated, thing since Texhnolyze.
>>
This anime did horror really well. It's in my top 10 for sure.

>>138861731
Kek
>>
>>138861788
>another 'speaker for /a/'
>pretending
>>
It hurts to watch young lover when I'm old, bitter and alone so I dropped it as soon as the sex scene almost took place.
>>
>>138861886
>obvious irony
>texhnolyze is clearly also a masterpiece
>>
Main character was 1000% useless the story would have been the same had she never existed.
It's pretty funny how they don't give the slightest about one of their friends but are all on Shun's dick when he does fuck all in the story, I would watch a spinoff from the rats perspective though.
>>
>>138861948
>It's pretty funny how they don't give the slightest about one of their friends but are all on Shun's dick when he does fuck all in the story

This happens all the time with 3DPD
>>
>>138861948
The part where Saki and Satoru fucking each other while thinking of Shun was hilarious.
>>
>>138861948
>Main character was 1000% useless the story would have been the same had she never existed.
Wrong.
>>
One of my favorite shows. That said, I dont really care about characters much and enjoy history books about as much as history novels. Most of the characters are indeed all sorta bland and seem to only exhibit distinct personality traits only when the author needs them to move the plot forward, or to have somebody 3talk about what other character's personality is like.
>>
I was mostly annoyed by Saki being supposed to be a very special snowflake which I just couldn't see.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.