[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long are you willing to wait for an anime to get good? We
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1323776470273.png (520 KB, 743x720) Image search: [Google]
1323776470273.png
520 KB, 743x720
How long are you willing to wait for an anime to get good? We all know the three ep rule, but it seems like many people, not just /a/, get impatient within the first ep alone. Sure, there are a lot of terrible first eps, but when people criticize the first ep because it didn't spoonfeed the entire set up, doesn't that seem a bit silly? How long do you think it should take to set up everything?
>>
File: cerealguy471461.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
cerealguy471461.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
I approach everything with the attitude that I will enjoy it, or at very least have fun with it.
I end up enjoying and having fun with almost everything I watch.
Most people are just dumb and like to complain and don't know how to be happy or have fun.
>>
>>138775139
I will sometimes watch to the last episode, in order to find out if the show has been rusing me the entire time.
It's painful when that happens, because usually they aren't.
>>
>>138775139

eh, anything from 10 seconds to the middle of the last episode
>>
>>138775139
Once you've seen a few hundred shows, you find that you can usually tell within the first few moments whether or not you'll like it.
There're surely exceptions to this, but I can't think of any.
>>
File: 1453739441060.png (248 KB, 648x504) Image search: [Google]
1453739441060.png
248 KB, 648x504
I don't drop anime, that's the reason I seldom watch longer stuff. The longest I've watched was LoGH or HnK, not sure.
>>
File: image.png (696 KB, 709x985) Image search: [Google]
image.png
696 KB, 709x985
I will always watch a show that I am interested in to the end.
I will determine if the show was good
Or not after finishing it.
>>
>>138775139
I don't form my opinion until I watch the whole thing.
>>
>>138775139
>criticize the first ep because it didn't spoonfeed the entire set up
That's not it at all. The first episode usually shows the characters and writing style, which I then base my decision on.
>>
Given a twelve-episode show, I won't want to watch seven+ episodes that don't interest me to get to a few good ones. Given the OP's example (which I watched all of), I did not find the nine (?) episodes of buildup to the ending to be particularly interesting, and thus the ending was not worth the time invested.
>>
>>138775139
It depends on how "bad" the "bad" is. I was willing to sit through the first 20 or so episodes of Gintama, where I wasn't enjoying it much, since, although the humor generally wasn't working for me during those episodes, I still liked some of the stuff that the series did, like the time the opening was delayed almosy up to halfway through the episode due to it not focusing on Gintoki up to that point, and there was nothing particularly offensive to my tastes either. It just didn't stand out.

However, if the series actively annoys me, then I can cut my losses much sooner, and might not even make it to a 3 episode rule.
>>
>>138775167
I think part of it is people who watch way too much anime. I only watch maybe 3-4 series in a season, and at least one of them is off the backlog. If you start watching 10-20 series, eventually you're just going to drop some anyway. Only difference, you've dropped them after watching some of it, as opposed to not even bothering, so it's easier to shitpost about how 'bad' it was. Don't watch shit you know probably won't appeal to your tastes, and you'll enjoy life much more (and probably even shitpost less).
>>
I will probably do what I always do, watch until I get bored. Sometimes I drop on the first episode, sometimes I drop on the second to last episode.

I think I've dropped more shows during the last episodes than at the beginning of the show.
>>
3 episodes, HxH took 4.
I didn't watch it till this year
>>
>doesn't that seem a bit silly?

No.

If food doesn't even smell good, it might even upset my appetite.
>>
Usually around the second or third episode mark I can usually tell if what the series is doing will continue to my interest or not.
>>
>>138775139
I use the 3 episode rule on seasonal anime and I read or watch reviews about older anime. And for older anime I am patient as fuck and can wait any amount of time for it to get batter as long as I have prior knowledge that there is something good coming in the future.
>>
I waited 51 episodes for Gintama and it never got better. I waited 16 episodes for ZZ and it got great, blonde faggot excluded.
>>
>>138775139
I was waiting for this scene in the Tatami Galaxy but don't remember if it was even there
>>
I drop episodes when enough things offend me, not when I get bored.
>>
>>138780925
Episode 10, I think.
>>
>>138775139
>Sure, there are a lot of terrible first eps, but when people criticize the first ep because it didn't spoonfeed the entire set up, doesn't that seem a bit silly?
Do you need to watch the second or third episode of Divine Gate or Chaos Dragon to know it's going to be shit?
Sure, some shows deserve more episodes before you can judge them, but there also the ones where the first episode tells you everything about the writing.
>>
>>138775139
I need to be immediately interested or I just won't give a shit. This doesn't mean it has to frontload exposition, in fact this often pisses me off, like TTGL or Horizon, but it has to be intriguing. This can be slow, like Haibane Renmei or Mouretsu Pirates, or it can be fast and bombastic. But if I'm not interested within the first few minutes I won't continue. Oftentimes I won't continue even if I am interested.
>>
>>138781472
>Oftentimes I won't continue even if I am interested.

Pffft.

Stopped reading here.
>>
>>138781552
Like, I still haven't finished Steins;Gate, Utena, or HnK, even though I really fucking like them.

Also it's funny that you stopped reading there. It's almost like I didn't write anything else.
>>
>>138781612
You can't really say you "really fucking like" something if you don't even like it enough to continue it.
>>
>>138781732
I disagree.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.