[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/m/ is literal fucking garbage so I might as well ask you guys:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Getter_Lagann_by_spikewible.png (519 KB, 800x711) Image search: [Google]
Getter_Lagann_by_spikewible.png
519 KB, 800x711
/m/ is literal fucking garbage so I might as well ask you guys: Why did the Super Robot genre die? Can it ever return?
>>
>>138717450
It was devoured by its own tropes.
>>
It used to be accessible, where people could pick it up and watch it because "Fuck yeah, giant robots". You didn't have to watch thirteen different series' to understand the newer shows.

Also, there's not enough GAR these days. There's more GAR in Symphogear and that's rather depressing.
>>
>>138718203
That's exactly what I was thinking.
>try to think of successful/enjoyable Super Robot shows in the last few years
>realize Symphogear is the closest show in tone, yet it's completely different beast
Fuck.
>>
>>138718203
>>138718325
Symphogear is complete garbage though.
70's super robot shows had better writing than Symphogear S2&3.
>>
>>138718395
Put your trip on, PHG.
>>
>>138718395
Truth is, people that casually watch anime for action(Read: The kind of audience that the old Super Robot genre pulled in), don't care about writing. If you make the fights good enough, your writing can be shit and people will still watch it. Granted, I do like a good story with my giant fighting robots, but it isn't necessary for a successful Super Robot show.
>>
>>138717867
Getter Robo's manga, Eva, and Giant Robo all did a good job avoiding tropes in the 90's though
>>
>>138717450
Market nowadays only cares about sales and according to them boobs is what sells now. So the only way would be to shoehorn attractive girls somehow but it needs to be taken seriously. That anime about girl versions of the Mazinger family was fucking awful.
>>
It couldn't put up enough moe to survive in today's market. The real robot (Gundam, specifically) managed to eke out a living by appealing to the fujoshits instead.
>>
>>138717450
>/m/ is literal fucking garbage
Found the retard.
>>
No, sorry. Just watch Gonagi shows again.
>>
>>138718743
>super robot
>shoehorn boobs and attractive girls
Obari has been doing that for ages.
>>
>>138718801
Super robot was already dying before this century even hit, but nice try.
>>
>>138718673
Except that traditionally, super robot shows were pretty disappointing with action. It's stock footage heaven and the battles were formulaic as hell. Nothing like the post-OVA super robot revival that modern fans think about.
It did have interesting writing though. Stuff like the nagahama trilogy or early Tomino anime were more about the plot and characters than about the action.
>>
Watching this now. Really entertaining, love the dub.
>>
>>138718686
The middle of the 90's was 21 years ago.
>>
>>138719082
Same

Holy shit it is such a fucking chore watching the God Gundam episodes though
>>
>>138717450

Honestly pretty sure Eva killed it
>>
>>138717450
There are plenty left, they just don't follow the specific formula/tropes/whatever that you like. Or they blend themselves with real robots instead of being full classic superhero mecha.

Most existed because that's how the market was at the time and it was the most efficient method of selling toys to kids. Now I don't say that in a "hurr durr toy commercial" way, but when the market for the shows dry up they stop making that kind of show.

If cute girls doing cute things stopped making money they'd stop making them except every now and then when some staff with the passion for it really wants to make one.
>>
>>138719082
G is SHIT
Wing is SHIT
if you like G or Wing you are SHIT
>>
>>138719471
>G is SHIT
Found the faggot.
>>
>>138719471
>G is SHIT
>Wing is SHIT
At least you got one right.
>>
File: nice meme.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>138717450
>/m/ is garbage
>>
>>138717450
>/m/ is garbage
>the place where every time I've been there they're actually discussing shows and are mostly nice and helpful people
>comes to /a/ where people unironically say the word waifu and like memes

You need to take your medication.
>>
File: murasamecide.jpg (57 KB, 976x720) Image search: [Google]
murasamecide.jpg
57 KB, 976x720
>>138719817
>>138719882
>that Giant Robo thread
>that Gunbuster thread
>Every super robot thread since le getterfag meme started

I absolutely will not put up with it any more
>>
>>138719929
>There are 2 shitposting threads
>That means the board is shit
Hot damn, you are stupid.
>>
>>138719929
Rather have three bad threads than a front page full of meme spouters and waifu perma-virgins anon. I'm sorry you feel differently tho
>>
>>138717450
>Super Robot

Its juts hibernating.
>>
>>138720110
>Its juts hibernating.
Ken Ishikawa will rise from the dead this year. Screencap this post.
>>
>>138719882
>/m/
>not shitflinging and dead thread central
>>
>>138718885
Congratulation, G-rectumfag
>>
>>138720272
i want to believe

>>138719998
Nope, it's a recurring trend.
>1 off
>>
>>138718743
>That anime about girl versions of the Mazinger family was fucking awful
It was pretty good to be honest.

>>138718976
Rare to see someone actually know what they're talking about when it comes to SRs.

>>138719882
Are you implying people on /m/ don't live and breathe memes too? Because they most certainly do.
>>
Newer generations just aren't interested in giant robots.
>>
Gundam killed it.
70s super robot was the best.
>>
Super robot got overexposed. Mecha otaku are a dying breed, soon demand for mecha will drop even further. I don't think it'll ever go away but it's not gonna be a major force in anime for a long time.
>>
File: Makes no sense.jpg (190 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Makes no sense.jpg
190 KB, 1440x1080
>>138721849
>>138721904
>>138722049
Please no.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.