[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does horror anime suck so much ass? Japanese horror translate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1443878303261.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443878303261.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1080
Why does horror anime suck so much ass? Japanese horror translate well into manga and used to for video games, I don't follow them as much so I don't about it's current state. J-Horror is pretty well known for being good too with shit like the Ju-On and Hausu. Is anime just not the right medium for spoops?
>>
>>138627315
censors
>>
Hard to make a cartoon scary.
>>
Horror is a shit genre anyway.
Thrillers are significantly better.
>>
Japanese horror is often built on subtetly and anime is a medium aimed to kids and autists so it lacks subtetly
>>
>>138627713
Didn't censoring in TV broadcasts only begin after Elfen Lied or Higurashai?
>>138627803
Both often go hand in hand.
>>138627805
>kids and autists
Not wrong.
>>
Reading a good Japanese horror novel is great.
>>
File: 1449460461306.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449460461306.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Those specials were al right.
Shiki itself you couldn't take seriously because of the character design
>>
By nature, stylized art can't instill the same sense of uncanny realism that other mediums can. Without that, you don't really get 'scary'. No matter what you really do, it's hard to make something scary with that sort of art style, and deviating from established styles will turn off fans of anime. If you have to deviate from what makes anime distinctively anime to make it scary, why bother with anime in the first place? Use a different, better-suited medium.

That said, Shiki was good because its goal was never to be scary, and it never tried to be. Horror, as a genre, doesn't mean "the scary stuff" and scaring the audience isn't even a goal of most good horror. That's a common misconception by people seeking cheap thrills from jumpscare slasher flicks shat out by hollywood every year. Horror is more about the aesthetic and something hasn't failed to be good horror just because it didn't scare you or have an oogyboogy ghostie ghoulie jump out suddenly.
>>
It's just that anime, or at least some that are trying to be horror, suck shit at being subtle. It takes much more to scare somebody that doesn't feel cheap than just spooky faces.

The often exaggerated features of anime characters doesn't help either in building atmosphere, which is one of the most important aspect in horror.
>>
>>138627845
>>Both often go hand in hand.
I'm guessing I didn't articulate my point properly.
I perceive a horror as a genre that mostly relies on shock value and gruesomeness to unnerve the viewer and a thriller as a genre that mostly relies on suspense and a constant sense of unease. And I thought Ghost Hound did a pretty good job of being a thriller.
>>
>>138627851
>foreign novels
Do you need to learn nip or are the translations not butchered to hell?
The only foreign books I've considered reading are the Witcher books. Dunno about many foreign books, I'm not that smart enough to get into them.
>>138627879
The characters designs are pretty bad. Specials are fucking amazing, man.
;_;
>>
Shinsekai Yori had the hospital episode so it can definitely be done well. I think it's just a general lack of talent for that specific genre when it comes to the anime industry.
>>
>>138627958
>I perceive a horror as a genre that mostly relies on shock value and gruesomeness to unnerve the viewer
Usually, that is an element in shit horror. Don't wanna bring /v/ here but Silent Hill did horror with the aspects of thriller you've mentioned.
>>
I never read a horror Japanese manga that made me feel scared, I guess I like books more, you can get inside the character head and understand his fear, visual horror media never did it for me because there is too much distance between you and the character.
>>
>>138627898
A bit off topic, but is there still decent horrors in theaters nowadays? Granted, I'm not in anyway well versed with the genre but the last time I heard people thought was spooky was Insidious 2 and goddamn it was shit.
>>
>>138627879
>Shiki itself you couldn't take seriously because of the character design
I'd say it's more because of how ridiculously nonsensical the characters all acted in regards to the rampant death. Even them being a isolated community doesn't explain it.
>>
>>138628222
>I'd say it's more because of how ridiculously nonsensical the characters all acted in regards to the rampant death
I think you might have missed the entire point of Shiki after all
>>
>>138627968
I use them to practice my moon runes yes, wouldnt wanna read translated works if I don't have to.
>>
>what is corpse party
>>
>>138628408
Adapted from a VN. Not very well either but I can't really think of VN adaptation done well.
>>
>>138628408
blood pinatas
>>
>japs can't into horror
>japs can't into drama
>japs can't into mystery
>japs can barely into comedy
What is wrong with them?
>>
>>138628612
Radiation poisoning.
>>
>>138628704
ayy lmao
>>
>>138628612
>can't into drama

Lie in April
>>
File: 1406984115934.jpg (5 KB, 208x156) Image search: [Google]
1406984115934.jpg
5 KB, 208x156
>>138628612
Nothing. They understand the value of emotional retreat, instead of acting like howling Westerners who have to gaggle at every joke, jump at every scare, pretend intrigue at every banal "mystery", relate to every heartfelt drama, all the while contorting their faces grotesquely while looking over to their peers for reassurance so their pathetic selves can react appropriate in the given social situation. They don't need to constantly act like goddamn baboons observing their reflections in the mirror.
>>
>>138628107
No,not really.
>>
>>138628612
Not enough laugh tracks
>>
>>138628806
Isn't that only OK at best though?
>>
>>138627315
Shiki isn't really a horror, it just borrows some ideas early on.
>>
>>138628806
that was pretty rubbish
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.