[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you enjoy Akagi even if you don't anything about the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: akagi.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
akagi.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
Can you enjoy Akagi even if you don't anything about the boardgame they're playing?

I really liked Kaiji.
>>
>>138483988
You CAN but it's bad anyway. It's a shame because it starts great and then they play a game that last 30 years.
>>
>>138484024
That's too bad.

The OP is so good.
>>
I liked it more knowing nothing about mahjong.
>>
I actually learned Mahjong before watching it. Well worth the effort IMO. Cool game, too.
>>
I watched 7 hours japanese mahjong tutorial before watching akagi
>>
Nobody knows what Akagi is doing.
>>
>>138483988
I did.
>>
>>138483988
You can, were just spectators.
>>
I still don't know anything about mahjong except RON and REEEECH after watching OP.
It's like Kaiji except Akagi doesn't fuck himself over all the time.
>>
>>138483988
All I knew about mahjong is that you need to collect sets of matching tiles, and hope that those sets are worth more than your opponents, or something like that. I still enjoyed it anyway. Most of the fun comes from Akagi playing his opponents as well as the game.

There's this 7-minute intro video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVIstLKmVs
>>
i still barely know how to play go and i read hng twice
>>
>>138483988
A lot of people watched mahjong anime not knowing shit about mahjong. Though, some of us became addicts.
>>
>>138483988
Mahjong is more of a card game, really.
>>
>>138490161
I always try to tell people that it's similar to rummy, but surprisingly few people have played that.
>>
Things like the post-Urabe explanation will be about ten times less interesting if you have no playing experience.
>>
>>138483988
I watched it before I knew the rules of Majong. You pick up on some stuff while you are watching and you can see Washizu's batshit insane luck even with out knowing the rules.
>>
>>138483988
I actually learnt how to play from watching Triad's release. Had some knowledge of it beforehand from Chinese mahjong though.
>>
I loved Kaiji.
When I started watching Akagi afterwards I knew nothing about Mahjong.
Until the very end of this show I still knew nothing about Mahjong.

They are trying their best to explain the game and its rules, but I have never played this game in my life and I didn't give a single shit after hours and hours of weird japanese names for certain combinations of pieces and rules that you have to keep in mind for later games upon rules and even more rules.

At one point I just said to myself "fuck it, and enjoy the show for what it is".
It's still watchable this way.
>>
They cover the basics and explain Akagi's wild plays, so definitely. Like other anons have said, half of the anime is one long arc (that's still going in the manga) but nonetheless, it's an enjoyable show. Good music and atmosphere.

>>138487416
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nundktgdonn/So_you_want_to_play_Mahjong_1.5.doc
>>
>no one knows what akagi is doing.jpg
>>
>>138483988
i think it actually does a good explanation at the beginning of basic rules. you just have to understand yaku after that
>>
>>138483988
I learned the basics from watching it. My all time favorite series. Still rewatch it every year.
>>
File: 1300458780516.jpg (78 KB, 641x481) Image search: [Google]
1300458780516.jpg
78 KB, 641x481
>>138486319
>>
>>138483988
I've made it a rule that I can only watch Akagi while absolutely hammered. Before I started I studied enough mahjong to understand the rules and even played a good two or three dozen games myself online before starting (it would have been less but its really fun), and after that I watched it and begin to get smashed. So far its been amazing, but I put it down after reaching the midway point and haven't been able to pick it back up again due to conflicts. Soon I will though, and although being a drunken mess I was able to keep track of what moves were going on and what the big stresses were, surprisingly enough.
>>
>>138483988
>>
>>138483988
The art is horrible, the main bulk of the story is boring and even if you understand the board game, it's not really worth watching.
>>
>>138492537
yeah, no
>>
>>138492537
b8
>>
RON RON RON AHAHAHAHA AKAGI YOU FUCKED UP THIS TIME I WIN

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT OLD MAN ? LOOK CLOSELY ON THE RIGHT ROW OF CHINESE SIGNS

AAAAAAAAAAH IT'S CHING CHONG LING PING TILE OH MA GAD

BBUT YOU CAN ONLY BEAT MY HAND IF YOU HAVE TWELVE PONGYANG LONG FACING THE EAST

I DO

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH AKAGIIIIIIIIII
>>
>>138492738
AAAAKAAAGIIII
>>
>>138483988
it's not like mahjong is difficult game to understand
>>
>>138483988
not really, it's basically a much more complicated poker, but you don't need to know how the rules are beyond that, because they tell you what tile they are trying to draw and then they will freak out when the protagonist or the villain draws it.
>>
>>138492738
This is so accurate it hurts.
Washizu best boy.
>>
File: 1437339524854.png (733 KB, 1218x1007) Image search: [Google]
1437339524854.png
733 KB, 1218x1007
>>
>>138494233
Does this image have a Hikaru no Go version?
>>
>>138494233
>the nose in the last row
Every time.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.