[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the anime only exists to promote the source material Can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: 1365220084762.jpg (701 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1365220084762.jpg
701 KB, 3264x2448
>the anime only exists to promote the source material
Can someone explain this logic to me? I don't get it. Why can't anime adaptations stand on their own more often and be considered successful regardless of how well the Light Novel or manga sold afterwards?
>>
You don't pay anything to watch the TV, duh.
>>
>the anime only exists to promote the source material
I only ever heard it said by some retard the last couple of weeks. I'm sure the publishers of novels and manga can sometimes be involved in funding anime but I don't think that's the rule, and in most cases the animation project is more or less separate. To think it's just commercial is fucking retarded. I mean it costs million dollars making these anime and they air in a midnight spot.
>>
They do stand on their own. Whether or not it's intended to boost source sales is irrelevant, who even cares?
>>
>>138463290
Even if it's just one anon saying it a lot lately, it's something I've heard every now and then for years and it never made sense to me.
>>
The logic of it is because it is true.

Anime is made with a production committee, which includes the anime studio and the publishing house of the source material. This production committee is formed when the creators of the light novel/manga/other source material approaches the studio or vice versa, with the sole purpose of increasing sales of the source material.

If the manga or light novel's sales don't increase, the production committee members in the anime studio will move to other projects, while the original publishing house will see if they have other properties that will need an anime to improve sales.
>>
>>138463210
'Tis true, for the most part. Watch Shirobako or Bakuman
>>
>>138463210
Because not enough people buy that shit.
>>
>>138463210
>Why can't anime adaptations stand on their own more often and be considered successful regardless of how well the Light Novel or manga sold afterwards?
Because they are adaptations

Unless they go in a completelydifferent direction than the source, they exist to raise awareness of it.
>>
>>138463210
The logic of it is how little most anime sells. The anime studios would like it if they were all able to make what they wanted and have it paid for by the sales of the anime itself. In practice the companies funding anime mostly need to look for ways that the anime going out on TV serves to raise awareness of an IP which brings in money from other avenues (not just source material, but also stuff like character goods).
>>
TV is free, manga and LN's are cheap, blu-rays are abysmally expensive.

Even if a show isn't intended to promote the source material, if your average shmoe sees a show they like on TV, they would be more inclined to finish the story in the source material than to spend hundreds of dollars for a full season of a show he already saw.
>>
>>138463210
Anime costs loads of money to make.
It only makes money from DVDs and Blurays, but a majority of the population experiences it through TV.
This isn't feasible by itself, so they add figures to the mix.
They add video games. They add all other kinds of properties.
These sell, but it's not always possible to make lucrative properties in these veins.

Basing an Anime on an existing work, a manga for example, encourages readership for a product that's already in production.
This is why many anime stop after Season 1 or 2. They've done their job. A profit has been made.

However, sometimes the Anime doesn't inspire enough readership in the manga. Take Erased for example.

Erased Anime is tanking, technically. The manga and the anime don't really inspire the production of many figures, given that the whole cast is Kids. Figures are a huge deal for anime. Notice how many of your favorite never-continuing animes had few-to-no figures in production.

Without Figures, an Anime tanks.
Without Anime, a Manga can't get leverage the publicity of prime-time television.
If it weren't for the potential increase in manga sales, no one in their right economic mind would take the fiscal risk that is making an Anime.
>>
File: sg.png (49 KB, 724x142) Image search: [Google]
sg.png
49 KB, 724x142
>>138464011
>If it weren't for the potential increase in manga sales, no one in their right economic mind would take the fiscal risk that is making an Anime.
Yeah that's why so many studios finance part of the own work, as do a bunch of other companies that literally earn zero cent from source material sales? If anime revenue was hugely dependent on source material sales, then how come the publisher doesn't finance 100% of it, since they're the only ones getting money from the source material sales. By your logic, most studios and other financers have no incentive to put money into it.

Pic related: an anime producer says the anime funders get 0 yen from sales of source material.
>>
>>138464011
Advertisement for the upcoming real-life movie. The anime having bad disc preorders is irrelevant for the IP holder, as long as people are aware of the story and then decide to check out the movie in the theaters.
>>
>>138463605
This.
>>
>>138464011
I really don't think anime get most of their money from figures. I hardly see any shonen figures and yet they get a million episodes. Nonetheless the way you're portraying it I really don't know why anime would even exist as such a large industry if it made such little money. It would make no sense to invest in an industry that makes next to no money, and riding the coattails of Manga/LN's is obviously not a smart business venture.
>>
>>138464171
They got the money from the production committee, with which to make the anime. Whatever they didn't spend on it is then theirs to keep. If the studio sucks at managing its finances, it's the studio's own fault.
Typical contract work.

If they want a larger share of the profits, then of course they'll have to put some of their own assets into it, which is even more of a risk.

What ultimately matters however is that they keep getting constant work.
>>
>>138464472
They get money from selling the IP to figure makers.
They also sell it to pachinko parlors and other places.

The profit from anime spreads wide.
>>
>>138463605
I cannot believe an industry exists only to prop up another. I do believe that happens but I doubt it happens 100% of the time. If that were the case there would be no point in working in the anime industry since it exists only to feed money to others en mass.
>>
>>138464573
What I'm saying is that the only company that gets a profit from source material sales is the LN or manga publisher, and maybe a book retailer. But the production committee is most often comprised of several different types of companies, not just publishers. So if the anime is only commercial for the manga then why the fuck would any other company give money to it?
>>
>>138464580
I really doubt that's enough to re-coup costs let alone, convince people to invest in it. I mean they price anime so high because people will still buy it, if they weren't buying it they would lower the cost.
>>
>>138464599
>I cannot believe an industry exists only to prop up another.

Hello? The advertising industry in general?
>>
>>138463210
Yeah, fucking money how does it work? And I don't wanna talk to a scientist.

Anon, you might be a bit on the slow side.
>>
>>138464697
>I mean they price anime so high because people will still buy it, if they weren't buying it they would lower the cost.
No, not for products that are inelastic
>>
>>138464011
>using a noitamina show as an example
>>
>>138463290
This is true. If it were not the case original anime could not exist.
>>
>>138464910
I highly doubt anime is inelastic.
>>
>>138463605
Pure and utter lies. If this were the case original anime could not exist.
>>
>>138464733
I'm talking about creative industries. Advertisers don't create products; if you create a product it's obviously your primary interest to sell the product. Investing millions of dollars into a product that doesn't sell is pointless.
>>
>>138465378
Now you found out that animation studios gain most of their money by doing advertisement work.
>>
>>138463210
>>the anime only exists to promote the source material
Not all of them. Some exist to promote a tourist attraction.
>>
>>138465450
But that doesn't make any sense financially. if they gain most of their money doing adverts why would they make anime, which costs millions of dollars? Why would anyone invest millions of dollars into anything if they won't get a return? Unless, you think Manga/LN studios are the only ones who produce anime. Do you honestly think billions upon billions of dollars would be spent en mass on an industry that makes next to no profit on it's own?
>>
>>138465778
Your typical late-night 12-13 episodes anime show costs around 1-3 million dollars total. That's a high sum, but it's not really that much money ultimately, and it's not like studios produce only original anime that they finance out of their own pockets constantly. Normally, they make 3 or more adaptions, while attempting to save enough money, and then try their hands at doing an original. If it flops, it's back to doing mercenary work, and trying to get new contracts.
If it's a hit, then great. That's the big jackpot everyone is striving for.

Also, many original anime are also co-financed by production committees, where another sponsor will be the one producing the discs, another will provide the music and sell the music CDs, another will try to produce the game to the show, and so on, so that the studio doesn't really take the financial risk all on its own.
>>
>>138463210

Most late night anime only exist nowadays as a commercial for some sort of source and or to make as much money as possible for the production committee. This means more and more stuff aimed at the waifu crowd who are the easiest and most lucrative demographic since they don't care if their show is shitty as fuck and never goes anywhere as long as they can ship and jerk off to the cast in a simple and easy to comprehend setting and premise that doesn't distract from that.
>>
>>138466112
>Also, many original anime are also co-financed by production committees, where another sponsor will be the one producing the discs, another will provide the music and sell the music CDs, another will try to produce the game to the show, and so on, so that the studio doesn't really take the financial risk all on its own.
This is true, but it's blatant overstatement that it's only there to be a commercial for the source material.

Take your cost 1-3 million dollars (which I accept is true here) for an anime season. And let's assume a publisher makes 1-3 dollars raw profit per sold light novel volume. That's a commercial cost equivalent of 1 million sold books. And the most popular light novel series during 2015, (dungeon deai something or other) sold 1.2 million books in its entire series. Only 10 series of light novels sell more than 400 000 books per year. So that's a huge ass commercial cost.
>>
>>138465230
Originals tend to be works of passion and involve a lot of financial risks, that's why there's so few and tend to be better than adaptations, they can't take the risk and make a shit work making them lose a lot of cash
>>
>>138464599

Anime used to be more of it's own more independent thing but since LN/VN otaku are readily milkable and have way lower standards than more traditional otaku who grew up on 80's/90's/00's anime it's steadily become more something to play off of the LN/VN Waifu/Husbando industry through multimedia synergy.

Really it's only been overwhelmingly like this in the 2010's though, especially since about 2013. When you had Anno talking about how Japanese animation doesn't have much of a creative future unless people are willing to invest in non-commercial ventures with it this is sort of what he was talking about. I mean it's not like most late night anime can garner ratings and the ratings game for daytime anime has been locked down by established long runners for decades so there's not much of an in from that angle either.

Thing is though most fans don't seem to particularly care and are too busy trying to troll each other or just don't know any better so it'll probably just stay like this from now on unless there's some sort of major collapse do to the animator crisis or scandal should the government crack down on obvious exploitation.
>>
>>138466112
This

Original anime for the most part is extremely hit or miss. Sometimes it is a gigantic success like Kill La Kill or Code Geass, more often than not, it is a huge failure. This is why most anime studios do "mercenary" work via production committees. A known product has a built in base, has a higher chance of breaking even or making profit.

In the past American companies have been in production committees, like how ADV famously co-funded Kaliedo Star. In the present, I believe Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Netflix are in production committees to secure exclusive rights for publishing.

So even original work has production committes, but they are more often sponsors, licensors, merchandise creators, but with the goal of having the original creation be successful, as opposed to "mercenary" work whose goal is to increase the sales of the manga/LN/etc.
>>
>>138466112
But if they make such little money on their own why would anyone risk making an anime original. And don't feed me the bullshit "because they want to" or some shit, because we both know studios aren't wide eyed idealists. Why would a producer finance it, if they get no return? Also 1-3 million is a fuck ton when compared to commercials or other forms of advertisement. Besides there is no guarantee your LN/Manga will even sell more copies. That's a huge risk for a relatively small reward.
>>
>>138466519
Of course original anime is done because they (the studios, or more often the storywriters with influence and connections in the studio) want to. They also want it to become the next big hit. If the studio manages to make their own intellectual property the next big hit, it naturally means they get a far larger part from the profits, since they sit very high upon the production committee.
Ultimately, one has to gauge the advantage and disadvantage of how many sponsors one wants in the production committee.
The more sponsors, the more the costs can be split up, and if the original anime show bombs (as most of them do), then the financial losses were not too much for everyone involved, but in the case of a success, that means less money gained for everyone.
Less sponsors = everyone has to pay more and hope that it is successful, and if it is, that means of course more money for everyone (if it manages to reach a certain threshold).
How much everyone spends and which part of the entire project is to be done and then how the eventual profits are split up is something that all the partners in the production committee will discuss among themselves and then finalize it in a contract.

Although, sometimes, original anime doesn't even have to sell really that well, and it can actually serve as an advertisement for the studio itself, showing to potential other production committees the worksmanship of the studio, ensuring a constant stream of work in the forms of adaptions to be made, enables to make connections with large companies. Not that anybody wouldn't mind them being financially successful, of course.
>>
>>138463210

Who the fuck could ride an Oreimo subway without dying from embarrassment?
>>
>>138467511
Mostly old people I guess or people who genuinely are at peace with how things are.

People not interrested in manga or anime will just shrug this off or perhaps have some mixed feelings with the sexualisation of young people through unreal stuff. Japs probably have a bit national pride in even the obscure things targeted to young males. As long there is funny and stuff for the mature they probably are at peace with things there too, though I guess it's all about the dollar dollar bill y'all.
>>
File: 1455073708451.jpg (84 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1455073708451.jpg
84 KB, 600x800
>>138467511
Nah, even less now that Oreimo it's going to be all over Japan with their new campaign.
>>
>>138463210
>Can someone explain this logic to me?

It's very rare to see an adaptation selling more than the source material, and adaptations, specially the ones for LN, usually never tell the complete story, you're lucky if you get them to tell half of it, of course there are exeptions, but that's what tey are, exceptions.
>>
>>138463210

Quite frankly, a fraction of a fraction of the population are accepting to watching anime, and the smallest fraction are the only ones open to watching late night anime. Novels, on the other hand, can reach a wider audience and are in general cheaper to acquire and consume than BDs. It makes sense for the Japanese industry, which focuses on concentrated pockets of consumers rather than expanding markets.
>>
>mfw glorious nippon has become a mosh pit for weeaboos and white piggu
>>
>>138468120
>encouraging hikkis and NEETs to vote
>salaryman taxes now go towards mailing out the latest season BDs to those who qualify for assistance
>>
>>138468495
>mfw when he pissed himself thinking about it
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.