[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this held in so high regard as a tournament arc? It had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: yuyu hakusho_1024_768.jpg (207 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yuyu hakusho_1024_768.jpg
207 KB, 1024x768
Why is this held in so high regard as a tournament arc? It had a bunch of good fights, but nothing to make outstanding compared to other series. And other than that, it was nothing special. There are no surprises or reversals other than young Genkai arriving as a backup, and maybe Hiei curbstomping in seconds a guy who was hyped to hell before the fight. You only see the heroes' matches and sometimes a few glimpses of their immediate opponents (they have to do this because they weren't established from the start). To me, half the fun of tournament arcs is looking at the grid and speculating about the possible matchups. I'd say even DB does tournament arcs better, and the Chapter Black arc was much superior than this as far as YYH goes.
>>
Flame of Recca's tournament arc was far better.
>>
I think that in its time Yuyu Hakusho was pretty fresh and managed to set itself apart from other series but now that most of the tropes it uses or even established have been used over and over again its flaws became very apparent.
>>
>>137948126
>/fa/ as fuck
>toguro was cool and his powerlevel shit was actually dope
>all of the villains were pretty good
>urameshi beat the shit out of that crossdresser
>dragon of the darkness flame is one of the top 5 anime finishers of all time
>had a great dub
>YOUR-A-MESHIIII
>announcers were funny

It is all around a great show. Honestly the biggest downfall is that it aired on Toonami and a ton of faggots watched it.
>>
>>137948126
Despite being a very long arc, its quality was consistently high. Almost all fights were captivating and worth watching. The fights are often won through wit or ingenuity. When new powers are developed, they're things that were foreshadowed like Yoko Kurama.

The team element was very well done. Because it was a "best of 5 to progress" style tournament, the main characters did not have plot armor within their respective matches. The teams were also well developed and felt cohesive. Every enemy team had a theme. The main team is the underdog where the characters don't even like each other, but you definitely see them grow together in this arc.

Toguro was build up and his team's entire final tournament was very appealing. A lot of final bosses drag on or shoot their load too early. The Toguro fight felt just right in terms of length and conclusion.
>>
>>137948356
>urameshi beat the shit out of that crossdresser
Wasn't that in the previous arc?
>>
>>137948126
Only people who like it are idiots, but that's about all we have left here now.
>>
>>137948455
I rewatched it like 6 years ago so I don't actually remember.
>>
Its good, but I liked HxH more.
>>
>>137948126
It had Koto and Juri.

Other wise the three DB tournaments were far better.
>>
>That one episode where Hiei and Kurama missed the fight because they got ambushed by the Cheetahmen
>>
File: 1402246608556.jpg (203 KB, 610x1000) Image search: [Google]
1402246608556.jpg
203 KB, 610x1000
>>137948126
>It had a bunch of good fights

That's literally all you need for a quality tournament arc. Toguro was GOAT.
>>
>>137948356
>l and his powerlevel shit was actually dope
This. It felt credible. I still remember his ''I'm only using my 40 percent''.
>>
Because setting and characters can matter in shonen believe it or not and yyh for the most part had good characters by shonen standards and the setting is fantastic. It's something that keeps you interested and is entertaining. It does its job very well and the fact that it is held in high regard is proof enough
>>
>>137948126
HxH is a million times better
>>
>>137948126
Shinbo
>>
HxH may be fresher and more tightly composed but YYH had heart and an artistic sensibility that remains relevant even in 2016
>>
>>137949324

I can watch Yu Yu Hakusho any time I want whereas Hunter X Hunter is more of a marathon kind of show. Yu Yu Hakusho is just more entertaining overall.
>>
>>137949324
>but YYH had heart and an artistic sensibility
And hxh doesn't? Quit talking out of your ass, moron.
>>
>>137948126

I'll admit that Togashi's creation of fight scenarios grew much more honed along HunterxHunter, but YYH isn't that bad today and certainly was an amazing thing of it's time. It's more than just kickass fight's and demons. It's about delinquents and maturing alongside your bros in a scary adult world.

Some of the fights are downright hilarious though, like that spellcaster's shrinking technique not working because Yusuke had swamp plants stuck in his ears, or downright touching like when Yomi just barely manages to win out over Yusuke only because his son's voice filled with concern reaches him.

like >>137949324 says >YYH had heart
>>
It was pretty good as far as Dragon Ball fanfiction goes
>>
>>137949132
>and the setting is fantastic
Seriously? I like the show, but I would never list that as one of its strong points. It's nondescript demons which are mostly not even based on any actual mythology (except for that one team specifically themed around Japanese folktales). It's pretty much dbz ki powers with a very shallow yokai flavorr which could be changed to magic, aliens, etc, without altering the story.
>>
Why don't you just shut the hell up and watch your shitty lolfemalebody galko-chan?

Fuckin' loser.
>>
>>137948126
The fights were fucking short
like an episode or 2 per fight

DBZ would take 10 episodes to go through a single FIGHT

The series is only 100 episodes
>>
>>137949467
Why are you so upset? HxH is probably my favorite series of all time, but as abstract as something like 'heart' is I think YYH has a lot more of it. Where Hunter is more of a cerebral series that founds itself on a coherent flow of storytelling, YYH to me is defined by how it weaves together its characters and themes in memorable and impactful ways.
While its setting isn't very unique and the pacing can get tiresome especially with all the tournaments, YYH is very good at what it does.

On that note I think HxH characters are pretty boring aside from a few. Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot but it's mostly because of what they do and what they pull off rather than who they are as a character or what they symbolize. You can say it had a shitty plot or whatever but YYH's cast was legendary.
>>
>>137950959
i have a theory that yyh characters are so great because togashi knew a lot of interesting people, he was 24 years old when he first started on it and the manga is visibly influenced by 90s japanese art scenes, especially university communities. you can kinda tell from the style of dialog and the clothes too. he also draws weird ass realistic sketches of girls randomly, the whole thing screams artsy intellectual fringe shit. hxh is a great manga with great manga characters but yyh captures the feeling of japan in the 90s so well it's unbelievable. i was only 8 when it came out but just trust me on this. also my shift key is broken so don't bother me about it.
>>
>>137948953
Dude is goddamn Raoh.
>>
It had a lot of good fights
Even Kuwabara jobbing in every single round had some good fights
>>
File: Yu Yu Hakusho_2.jpg (76 KB, 233x240) Image search: [Google]
Yu Yu Hakusho_2.jpg
76 KB, 233x240
>>137948211
I agree. I'm waiting for the day that someone revives Flame of Recca for a brief period

But the Dark Tournament had a few fun twists and turns here.
>>137948452
>The team element was very well done. Because it was a "best of 5 to progress" style tournament, the main characters did not have plot armor within their respective matches.
I gotta disagree here. Against the Shishiwakumaru team, they have Kuwabara lose twice in a row. If there was one thing I disliked about YYH, it was how Kuwabara was treated from the Dark Tournament and onwards, and he was one of my favorite characters
>>
>DBZ would take 10 episodes to go through a single FIGHT

10 episodes of screaming, speed of light fist of the north star punch montages, SCREAMING, some intermission to exchange words about morals and friendship or some villainous gloating, and maybe some seizurific special ki blasts somewhere every other episode.

Sure worth the extra episodes not to miss out on all that excitement.
>>
YYH dub >>>> sub

Its amazing what writing lines that sound fairly natural in English does to your dub.
>>
>>137950959
>than who they are as a character or what they symbolize.
Don't pretend YYH characters are better than HxH characters because of some meaningful literary depth. They're likable as fuck, and I can concede that they'd contribute to the 'heart' you're talking about, but HxH characters are a lot better written in terms of depth and complexity. Gon and Killua and their relationship in particular are interesting, nuanced and genuinely flawed rather than just fun and likable bros.
>>
>>137950959
>Why are you so upset?
Swearing on 4chan =/= upset
>>
>>137951765
Well let's take Killua for example, what's so complex about him? Yes, he's super intelligent and can hatch genius plans within a fraction of a second but what about him specifically is deep? He's an ex-assassin who's been liberated by Gon's purity. Kurapika? He's consumed by desires of revenge but his friends symbolize the humanity he'll have to sacrifice to get it. Leorio is... Leorio. Gon is the most interesting IMO but even then I can summarize it by saying that he has a uniquely animal-like psychology.

I think there's much more to character relationships in YYH than just fun and entertainment. Look at Yusuke and Kuwabara, you might see them as 2 leads in a delinquent sitcom but a key element here is that while the power gap between them is greater than between the rest of the cast, their friendship runs the deepest. At the beginning of the final arc, Yusuke tells Kuwabara the first thing he's gonna check on after he gets back from the demon world is if he passed his exams and you can tell he means it.

Yusuke and Kurama's relationship is also interesting because they barely have one. On the outside, Kurama has the most polite and friendly demeanor but his true personality is so different that the only person he can have a meaningful bond with is Hiei. There is a degree of respect Yusuke and Kurama have for each other, but I think it ends there.

I could go in depth about Mukuro and Hiei, Hiei and Kurama, etc but I'm just rambling at this point. If you disagree I respect your opinion but IMO YYH characters are surprisingly nuanced and realistic.
>>
>>137952572
>Well let's take Killua for example, what's so complex about him?
His unhealthy dependancy on Gon and subsequent development on multiple levels. Like going from edgy assassin -> softy, getting goals of his own after having none at all, learning to overcome his instinct to run from fights he can't win, learning to make his own friends and become others' 'light' instead of just having Gon as his own light. Their entire relationship breakdown in the CA arc that could easily be interpreted as either of them being in the wrong- Killua frames himself as the victim and demands an apology from Gon, even though he wasn't supportive of him, isn't openly affectionate and didn't try to set him straight when he knew Gon was on a downward spiral and deluding himself about Kite. We see a lot more of Killua's internal monologues than Gon, so it's easy to sympathize with him at first but as much as he thinks about being a good friend to Gon, he isn't always.On the other hand, Gon can be casually selfish and take Killua for granted, like letting his hands get hurt for his sake, how he'll say it's Killua's job to calm him down, that Killua will always give into him, etc (as for Leorio and Kurapika, I don't think they're that well developed yet but their character arcs are pretty incomplete. I'm reserving judgement).

You've talked about the friendship between YYH characters, but I see Gon and Killua's relationship as more nuanced because they don't actually have a good, healthy relationship. It starts out as kids being best friends, then you see the cracks in the relationship and eventually they separated as a result. Togashi talked about how Jump wouldn't let him 'deconstruct' (I know /a/ hates that word but he said it) the YYH characters, and I think he did actually attempt it with HxH. I won't say you're wrong either though, I think Togashi is a good writer in general and I haven't dedicated as much thought to YYH as I have with HxH.
>>
>>137950885
Why was Yu Yu Hakusho's anime so much better than Dragon Ball's? Is Pierrot just better than Toei?
>>
>>137953234
Thanks for typing that out, never really thought about it so in depth. At the least we can agree that Togashi is a good writer. Cheers
>>
>>137948126
>Why is this held in so high regard as a tournament arc? It had a bunch of good fights, but nothing to make outstanding compared to other series.

Yep.

Oh, and to answer your question, it's Toonami nostalgia faggotry.
>>
It was basically Mortal Kombat in anime form.

And anyone who fought against Kurama got the most painful death.
>>
>>137948356
you're a faggot bruh, im fine with the existing fanbase keeping things fresh and cool by raceswapping the main cast
you're a nigger who just said he barely remembers the show acting like you own it lmao, fuck off
>>
File: ryoko 111.jpg (46 KB, 688x470) Image search: [Google]
ryoko 111.jpg
46 KB, 688x470
>>137948852
I found out why people like Koto.
Here's her voice sister.
>>
File: fairy tail 322.png (182 KB, 985x1400) Image search: [Google]
fairy tail 322.png
182 KB, 985x1400
>>137948126
>Why is this held in so high regard as a tournament arc?
You're looking at it the wrong way, compair it to today's tournament arcs say FT, then wonder why YYH was better.
>>
Because it introduced the Asspull king Kurama and the Asspull emperor Yoko Kurama.
>>
best fights in the tourney?
>yusuke v. jin
>kurama v. karasu
>kuwabara v. elder toguro
>yusuke v. toguro
>hiei v. bui
>>
>>137948126
Who else cries at this part every time?
>>
>>137956753
Yusuke is clearly the king of asspulls.
Demon Yusuke is the fucking worst.
>>
>>137951547
>If there was one thing I disliked about YYH, it was how Kuwabara was treated from the Dark Tournament and onwards, and he was one of my favorite characters
You gotta give props to Togashi for what he did with Kuwabara in the Yukina arc though. He literally made the sidekick the hero of that arc.
>>
>>137956683
Fairytail is a bad comparison
Team Urameshi members want to beat their opponents in a way they can be proud of themselves
Fairytail members win everything because they have friends
>>
Because the sarcastic and joking dialogue. While it had its moments of seriousness, most of the show was light hearted and funny.
>>
File: BasedFuuko.jpg (150 KB, 728x1200) Image search: [Google]
BasedFuuko.jpg
150 KB, 728x1200
>>137948211

There were some damn good moments
>>
>>137948126
Overrated shit, a dirt poor man's Dragon Ball.
>>
>>137956835
>no chu vs yusuke
>>
File: recca 4.jpg (877 KB, 1280x1854) Image search: [Google]
recca 4.jpg
877 KB, 1280x1854
>>137948211
>Flame of Recca's tournament arc was far better.

You are muh nig
>>
>>137959353
Nothing will ever be as overrated as the Dragon ball series and its Super Cyans
Dragpon ball still had some amazing fights
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.