[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that the majority of people prefer manga over anime?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: Capture.jpg (45 KB, 447x305) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
45 KB, 447x305
Why is it that the majority of people prefer manga over anime?

Now, that isn't to say that anime doesn't have "its place". I think both mediums are great.

However, when reading manga I almost always get absorbed in the story and the characters such that I enter a state of "flow" and I partially lose my sense of self. This doesn't happen quite as often in anime, as my thoughts tend to wander at times when things get too predictable and I'm only fully immersed during salient segments. Also, I experience much more frission when reading manga than I do when watching anime.

I feel that this phenomenon may be aptly analogized with books and movies. Some people have their attention stolen by books while movies only whisk them away at certain points or in a half-way fashion.

What do you think? Do you think there is an inherent quality in manga that makes it easier to get "lost" in it?
>>
>Why is it that the majority of people prefer manga over anime?
They don't.
>>
>>137276983
Its simple actually.
When you read manga or any comics whatsoever, you dictate the pacing and tension.
At least for me an anime has to have phenomenal pacing to even get close to that flow state you're talking about.
>>
>>137276983

I'd like whatever you've been smoking mate.
>>
>>137277454
Sorry, this is really just anecdotal evidence.
>>
A lot of idiots will legitimately not want to read manga because it involves a lot of reading. They would watch 800 episodes of OP instead of just reading the manga.
>>
File: 1405991097307.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1405991097307.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>137277175
Isn't manga more popular than anime in Japan?
>>
Yeah, it's hard for me to watch anime unles it really grips me and that is hard to do when only one episode comes out a week.

Honestly, I just can't watch any sort of tv show anymore, consistently.
>>
File: 1454718350396.png (254 KB, 452x500) Image search: [Google]
1454718350396.png
254 KB, 452x500
>>137277916
Yeah, everyone reads manga there and it's normal. The Moon government even made a list of recommended manga for parents to buy for their kids sometime in the lasst few years in different genres like: work, sports, etc. I remember Ashita no Joe being in the list. I can't seem to find it now though.
Anime is mostly for kids or otaku.
>>
File: 1452857422299.jpg (239 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452857422299.jpg
239 KB, 1440x1080
>>137276983
Anime, you take at face value; it's bright, it's voiced, it moves and has a soundtrack.
All this adds up to what makes anime, anime.
There are many things for your mind to keep up with; "the visuals are nice" "Damn this actor is really getting into it!" "Holy crap moving pictures! So smooth!" Dat QUALITY "This music is amazing!"
Just too many things for you to appreciate fully in the span of 24 minutes, especially when you throw plot into it as well, you have no time to dabble on nuances, subtle foreshadowing or intrigue, anime doesn't wait for you to catch up, it just keeps going.
Manga is just a book; the only color is black and white not counting the cover or a few choice pages, there are no voices, you just read the lines, there is no movement and no accompanying soundtrack, only detailed drawings of what's transpiring.
Your mind must be fully invested in just reading the text and looking at the still, detailed, drawings, through that attention you catch everything it offers, and if you encounter something that causes you to stop and think, manga waits for you as you must turn the page yourself to see what happens next.
As such you can take things at your own pace, appreciate the little it offers and then move to the next once you are ready, this is why you lose track of time, your mind is invested into what you are reading, no noise to break the concentration, it's calm and peaceful. A zen like state only broken when there no longer is more material to read.
>>
>>137277705
>A lot of idiots will legitimately not want to read manga because it involves a lot of reading.

What's the point in having the ability to read if you don't use it to read books or manga?
>>
File: Ashita-no-Joe-ch004-pg065.png (158 KB, 800x1237) Image search: [Google]
Ashita-no-Joe-ch004-pg065.png
158 KB, 800x1237
>>137278435
>As such you can take things at your own pace, appreciate the little it offers and then move to the next once you are ready, this is why you lose track of time, your mind is invested into what you are reading, no noise to break the concentration, it's calm and peaceful. A zen like state only broken when there no longer is more material to read.

You really get me, Joe.
>>
I've practically stopped watching anime and pretty much exclusively read manga.

The primary reason is that I can get through manga faster even with my sloooowww reading speed. If I watch anime, no matter what I am going to be wasting 23 minutes. I don't mind short like, 5 minute episodes but anything else really needs something to grab my attention.
>>
>>137278435
couldn't have said it any better
>>
>>137276983

In the West: anime is more popular than manga because most people don't like to read.

In Japan: Because manga is cheaper and have more variety.

Can you stop with these stupid threads now?
>>
File: page177.jpg (178 KB, 1007x806) Image search: [Google]
page177.jpg
178 KB, 1007x806
>>137278563
>The primary reason is that I can get through manga faster even with my sloooowww reading speed.

What is your average time to read a volume? I'm fucking slow,and when i read threads where people say things like ''i read all of berserk in one day'' ,i start to doubt whether i'm retarded or something.
>>
>>137278435
Great post. I've always thought that anime had too much going on or was overstimulating and it's very gratifying to find that others think so as well.

I thought I was the only one who thought keeping up with the plot was hard in anime because of the quantity of streams of information all occurring simultaneously.
>>
>>137278991
I guess if there's not a whole lot of text I can get through an average tankoubon in an hour and a half or so.

And even I have my suspicions about that statement. Berserk is enormous.
>>
File: page006.jpg (974 KB, 2198x1650) Image search: [Google]
page006.jpg
974 KB, 2198x1650
>>137279115
It took me hours to get trough a berserk volume. Do these people not even look at the art?
>>
>>137279195
I wonder about that. Indeed, a lot of my time is spent looking over art.
>>
>>137278991
I'm certain I could read it in one or two days...but I don't like speedreading because I miss on the more subtle stuff and I won't enjoy the art the mangaka has spend months drawing.

I read the average Berserk volume in around two hours and a half.
>>
>>137278491
>>137278435
That said. LNs are a shit medium. Absolute HARAM.
>>
Faster to read
No problems of bad voice acting because there is none
Better release schedule instead of waiting on S2 6 months later, sometimes not even getting further adaptions

I just look up fight scenes or well done animations when it comes to anime. I can't remember the last series I watched entirely. I can pick up a trash manga, breeze through a few chapters in 5 minutes to decide if I care enough to keep reading. With anime you have to spend a full episode usually just to see characters, setting, and overarching story unfold.
>>
>>137278991
I don't know. But I read through both Mahou Shojo of the End & Mahou Shojo site , from chapter 1 till the last scanlation update in about 2 and 1/2 days.

It takes me weeks to get through a whole season(~12 episodes) of an anime, but that's mostly because I prefer to check mango updates and current season animoos first.
>>
>>137279846
Light Novels are bottom of the barrel otaku entertainment , even worse than Visual Novels.
>>
Manga costs less to produce so we get more interesting stories instead of shit that guarantees money.
>>
>>137279846
>>137280005
Just ignore the trashy shit and read the good ones ? Same with Anime and Manga honestly.
>>
File: 1452066559324.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452066559324.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
Anime originals can be great tho.
>>
>>137276983
Colors are for fegets.
>>
>>137280369
Speaking seriously, what are some good light novels that aren't either otaku wish fulfillment trash or autistic world building like SAO, Index or Horizon in the middle of Nowhere? the only one that comes to mind is Kino No Tabi.
>>
I dunno. Over time I find myself getting easier bored with anime and TV shows, or even movies. I don't feel it with mangas, comics or books.
Maybe I just turn into an asocial shut-in that is afraid of other people and the voices are enough to trigger me.
>>
File: 1384557803976.png (1 MB, 702x1975) Image search: [Google]
1384557803976.png
1 MB, 702x1975
Like most have been saying, I'm not a really big anime watcher, Only watched a few series and most of the anime I watch is movies,short series or OVA. Manga is just a superior form, You can take shit at your own pace, Take in the art, Give extra attention to beautiful pages and give less attention to pages that aren't so beautiful.
Another big reason for me is that anime is so fucking slow, You can watch a 24 minute episode of anime and have nothing happen or you could spend 24 minutes reading a manga and you'll have covered multiple episodes of an anime.
Not all anime is like that though, Of course. Some people can do magic with animation (Like Akira, Evangelion,Paprika) but I really don't see any reason to watch an anime adaption of a series and don't really get the hype when a series like Jojo or OPM are announced for an anime adaption
>>
>>137278991
When I started out reading manga it would take an hour per volume. Now it's usually 20 minutes a volume for a standard tankobon.
>>
>>137280005
Some of the best things I've ever enjoyed were VNs so fuck you faggot.
>>
>>137284461
All that means is that you have shit taste.
>>
>>137284565
Yeah nah you're a faggot.
>>
>>137284461
Visual Novels are mostly shit unless you want to masturbate.
Unless you enjoy reading 40hs of nothing happens and shitty prose.
>>
>>137276983
Manga is much more diverse in terms of subject matter and demographics, compared to anime which is either produced for kids, or for adults willing to spend obscene amounts of money on merchandise and overpriced BluRays.

So a manga writer has much more leeway to work with, and in turn, they can cater to all kinds of audiences.
>>
>>137276983
Read books sometime.
>>
>>137278435
This is why VNs are the best
>>
>>137279195
same here. I like to absorb every detail of Berserk
>>
>>137286714
No.
>>
>>137276983
Manga is more diverse because its easier to put out a book than fund a tv show, it's quicker to digest than marathoning a series and a lot of shows are just manga adaptions to begin with
>>
>>137276983
>book (minor-no visuals/majority imagination)
>manga (mostly visual/some imagination)
>anime (all visual/minor-no imagination)
Though Manga is a visual medium, you are still the one who imagines the epic battles, sees the crazy things happening in your head.
In an Anime, you're forced fed everything and it will never be as good as you make it out to be.
>>
>>137276983
Manga is faster, I dont have the attention span to sit for half an hour on a series.
>>
Name an anime that's done better than the manga it came from.
>>
>>137289467
Naruto Shippuden
>>
File: joe.jpg (330 KB, 938x1419) Image search: [Google]
joe.jpg
330 KB, 938x1419
>>137278435

Thanks, Joe.
>>
>>137289467
Cardcaptor Sakura
>>
>>137276983

>Those positions.

Every time.
>>
>>137277705
One Piece manga is horrible thought. The paneling and all the stuff going on at the same time makes it really hard to understand.
>>
>>137289744
If you are a speedreader
>>
>>137280516
>tho
>>
File: Angel's Egg.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Angel's Egg.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
Here's my take.

I prefer anime to manga.

I don't understand some of the arguments here about anime being "hard to follow" or a deluge of information, if that's what you think than are live-action TV and movies the same for you? Many times I've found manga difficult to follow visually, in fight scenes especially. The consistent black and white palette can sometimes (not always) make it difficult to distinguish minute details and overlapping objects.

On the topic of black and white, I've got no problem with it, but some manga would clearly be greatly improved with the implementation of color, and to the unfamiliar the black and white stuff is definitely not inviting. For every gorgeous manga out there (Berserk) there are those...not so impressive (SnK).

I've also never been a fan of comics of any sort. I mean I like them, but the only reason I started reading manga was because I wanted more from subpar/incomplete anime adaptations. To be real critical comics/manga are like a combination of good film and literature, incorporating the worst of both worlds...There is undeniably a lot to be said and appreciated in the still image, but that is the only real strength of manga.

Reading manga in English is also iffy, I've put up with some pathetic translations that make me wonder why I bother, and countless more that are acceptable but honestly just unrefined, often muddled English. If I'm going to read something, I'd take a good book over manga any day.

Anime also honestly has great music. I've discovered so much music from Japan through anime that that has been a reward in itself.

Also well-done anime fights>>>>manga fights, really no contest, fights are all spectacle anyway
>>
As strange as it sounds, I highly encourage speedreading for long running manga. Unless a panel really strikes me, I am normally more invested in the story than I am in the art, unless I really enjoy the style.

It allows you to quickly catch up with the story and become up to date with the current releases. Nothing can spoil you and you enjoy the new updates.

Finally, when you re-read the manga, it will have plenty of surprises for you to find and appreciate. There is no need to catch up with the new updates, and you can re-read at your own pace while enjoying the subtler parts it.

But I still prefer anime.
>>
wake up you old fucks, books and letters are going out the window, throw your little doujins out the window, cus 3d immersion is coming soon old timers, think your frail hearts can keep up the beat?
>>
>>137276983
It's mainly that with manga you are able to dictate the pacing, you can stop when you want and apreciate the scene or what just happenned all the time you want, you are not "pushed" to the next scene.

Also, it might be that it's easier to focus when you are only being stimulated in one way, that is, through what you are reading and envisioning, not getting bombarded with explosions, lightbeams, music and "oniichan fuck my toddler pussy right here and now" constantly.
>>
File: bg-0006-010.jpg (475 KB, 1114x1600) Image search: [Google]
bg-0006-010.jpg
475 KB, 1114x1600
A level of visual artistry that most anime simply can't compete with.
>>
Work for me into manga. My computer faces a wall so I can be low key as fuck. Berserk took about a 5 day work week to re-read.
>>
>>137292203
wow anon, you are so cool
>>
manga is like "It's a Small World" ride

but anime is like riding fucking Space Mountain

seems like you guys are having trouble concentrating and using your own imaginations while shooting stars are whizzing past your dense heads.

keep your arms and legs and thoughts inside the ride at all times, do not stray and stay on the tracks, HAHAHHAHAHAAHA.
>>
>>137293205
You're contradicting yourself.
>>
>>137293303
your constricting yourself
>>
>>137293205
>it takes more imagination to immerse self in anime than manga
>>
>>137276983
As you described, there's just something about manga that's different. I think it's because you can read at your own pace and spend as much or as little time looking at scenes as you want, absorbing what's most meaningful to you and getting far more impact out of something that may have been glossed over by the anime director etc.

For example, in the Gakkou Gurashi manga when Rii raised the knife about to stab possibly-zombie-Kurumi under the sheet, I fucking froze on that page for a good minute or two before nervously collecting myself to go on. Even if that scene was done in the anime (which never got anywhere close), it might have held on that moment for only a second or two, not giving you enough time to go "wait.. oh fuck, shit shit shit"; your mind may be barely starting to do that but because the anime can't just hold on things forever and can't be paced too slow it wouldn't give you the time to feel the impact.
>>
>>137278435
Manga sounds like Best Girl
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.