[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steins;Gate is not as good as /a/ thinks it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: tumblr_nw8ork4Fcw1uaz2a0o1_500.jpg (40 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw8ork4Fcw1uaz2a0o1_500.jpg
40 KB, 480x480
This is a very touchy subject on here, so I'm going to do it nice and carefully and break it into sections.

**Plot**

The plot is the definite best part of the show. It starts really strong. Makise Kurisu is dead, and Okabe has a time machine. After that it becomes a slice of life / almost harem with time traveling text messages mixed in. It becomes a show where Okabe takes requests from several attractive females, it's pretty much a harem at that point. It's very relevant to the story however, as this is a necessary part of the story, and is the cause of the problem in the first place. Episode 12 is where things kick off. We see the payoff of sitting through 10 filler but not really filler episodes. This episode sets the tone for the rest of the series. It becomes a faux-groundhog day scenario. Mayuri dies, he always loses. This isn't the interesting part. We know Mayuri is going to die every time. The interesting part here is Okabe. We slowly see his mind degrade and have an impact on the things he does. An interesting thing that they cut from the anime was that in the VN he considers raping Suzuha because he would just time loop back anyway. The plot gets consistently better until he finally realizes how to keep Mayuri alive. Here's where the show crashes and burns. It actually becomes a harem. Some of the characters get their own lovey-dovey side episode with Okabe. Why? It's necessary for the anime, but they could have not made them all in love with Okabe. On to the final arc, this is the climax. We see everything the show has led up to. We find out who Suzuha is, and why she's there. Okabe realizes that nothing of this will ever happen and decides to go along with it anyway. Okabe shows his undying devotion to a girl he barely knows and decides to almost die because of her. He wins in the end.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
**Characters**

The weak point of the show.

*Okabe* - Okabe is a good character. He really develops throughout the series. I explained a bit in the plot section so I won't go too deep into it.

*Kurisu* - A very flat character. She has 4 traits : Tsundere, daddy issues, likes science, and is from America. She doesn't develop throughout the series, and ultimately only warms up to Okabe, and that's it.

*Mayuri* - What character? She's Okabe's childhood friend and a plot device

*Feyris and Ruka* - These can be grouped together. They are both there to fill space and make things harder for Okabe. That's their only reason to exist.

*Moeka* - Serves an actual purpose. Goes to show Okabe that not everyone is nice and people will take advantage of you and what you can provide for their own purposes. She's the second best character in the show.

*Suzuha* - Another good character. She's a rebel from the future, and comes back to save her world. She's there to assist Okabe in his mission, and isn't explored much as a character.

**Final thoughts**

The show is good. It's really good. However, it shouldn't be regarded as a masterpiece, and really only get's an 8/10 from me. It has a great story at times, but it's inconsistent, has flat characters, and is very very clearly based off of a VN and has harem elements.

EDIT : It's 5 AM. I need to go to sleep. Sorry If I don't respond to you for like 6 hours, but feel free to disagree with me and make some comments anyway!
>>
> It's 5 AM. I need to go to sleep.

Weak.
>>
File: 1448735541141.jpg (30 KB, 625x900) Image search: [Google]
1448735541141.jpg
30 KB, 625x900
>>137255489
>>
File: 1435514027769.jpg (189 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
1435514027769.jpg
189 KB, 600x640
>>137255493
>Moeka is the second best character in the show
>>
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Steins;Gate has a great cast of characters and once again, character development isn't what makes a character good or bad. Both Static and Dynamic are just two different kinds of characters and Kurisu not receiving much development does not make her a worse character. The nature of Steins;Gate's story inherently doesn't allow characters other than Okabe whose memories remain intact to receive considerable development. That's not a bad thing, a character doesn't need to change to be good.
You're overlooking the different facets to each character and misaddressing them as flat or mere plot devices, and if I had the time I would go more in-depth on all of them but since I don't I'll focus briefly on Mayushii since I think that's one of the characters you did least justice in your post. She isn't just there to fill a childhood friend character archetype or get the plot rolling, she has her own troubles and personal conflicts, she's an important source of emotional support for Okabe and her friends, and despite being aloof and perhaps childish she's actually very perceptive, being the first one to notice a connection between Suzuha and Daru and ultimately being who deduces their father and daughter relationship.
The reason Steins;Gate is so great, and why I personally consider it a masterpiece, is because to me it's actually an amazing story supported by great chatacters. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion but I strongly disagree with what you have to say about its cast.
>>
File: steinsgate.png (209 KB, 1072x517) Image search: [Google]
steinsgate.png
209 KB, 1072x517
>>137255721
>>
File: 1448735598068.png (37 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1448735598068.png
37 KB, 625x626
>>137255848
>>
>>137255845
A character does have to develop to be good. Merely having a problem or having some sort of perception doesn't make you great. A lot of the things you described were plot related, so let's look at it from a different angle.

Who is Mayuri?

Mayuri is a girl who likes Upa toys, and has a weird quirk where she raises her hand to the sun because of her grandmother. She doesn't understand much, but she makes subtle connections.

That's it. I can't write more than 3 sentences on her without having to resort to how she is important to other characters, or is relevant to the plot
>>
This is probably Tales or Across, nice bait redditfags.
>>
>>137255489

Valid points and I agree with you, OP.

Especially the whole formulatic pre-finale phase was a really low point for me. Multiple mind-jarring "saving the girl of the week" -episodes in a row was a bore while waiting for the finale to happen.

Having played through the VN I understand that it was a necessary evil but it was bullshit nonetheless.
>>
And this is all subjective, any anime can have 9043094830 flaws, as long the person watching finds it entertaining, it doesn't matter what those flaws are.

Also, the anime is shit compared to the Visual Novel, only few anime adaptions are good, and Steins isn't one of them.
>>
>>137255489
Just because you don't like an anime as much as other people do doesn't mean that their opinion about it is flawed. You're stating your opinion as fact and regarding other's their opinion as flawed.
You don't think the show is a masterpiece? That's fine, that's your opinion. And if most of r/anime do consider it a masterpiece that's also fine, that's their rightfull opinion as well. It doesn't mean that the show is a masterpiece for everyone.
It just feels like you're unhappy with the fact that a lot of people like a show you don't like and are trying to tell them their opinions are wrong.
>>
>>137256222

Sorry if I came off that way. It was sort of a declaration of my opinion. I'm saying the reasons why I think it's flawed. I definitely could have titled it better also. I'm backing up my opinion though, I'm not just blindly saying the show isn't as good as people think it is, unlike the 30+ people who have downvoted the thread
>>
>>137255888
As much as I like Mayuri cause I'm a faggot, you do have a point about her. Really, the only actual character you might be able to get from her is just speculation. I can say that she probably has some disability or depression or some such shit, but she's really kind of glossed over in terms of depth.
>>
>>137255489
>>137255493
You have some valid points and are little bit correct but the minor characters aren't as one dimensional as you think.
I would suggest playing through the VN and seeing if that helps you understand more of the characters, the anime only explored one path and I personally thought it was great but not masterpiece level, like you said.
Also see if you can look more into the series and watch the specials,extras,etc. That might help you understand why these characters exist and are there for Okabe to deal with.
>>
>>137256257
>downvoted
>>>reddit
>>
Whats with all these reddit shitposts, first that UBW one from 8 months ago posted the other day now this shit bait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2j3j0l/spoilerssteinsgate_is_not_as_good_as_ranime/
>>
>>137256257
>downvoted
nigger you what.
You can't downboat on here.
I mean sure, there used to be visible sage, but that shit ain't visible anymore.
Saged for downvote.
>>
File: fuckthisguy.jpg (45 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisguy.jpg
45 KB, 349x642
okabe is a fucking retard
>>
>>137256337

Nig even made a trip for this.
>>
Oh fuck I just got rused.
>>
>>137255489
Btw, what do you consider a masterpiece
>>
>>137256337
are you fucking serious?
OP go fuck yourself
>>
>>137256440

I wouldn't really say anything is a "masterpiece" but if anything came close it would be Monogatari series
>>
File: 3180401.png (101 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
3180401.png
101 KB, 500x281
>>137255489
>>137255493
>implying your taste/opinion decides what the general considers flat
>>
Why would you ever transfer over a reddit thread onto /a/?
I don't get this.
>>
>>137256461
:D Across you are never boring are ya :P Nothing is perfect. Masterpiece isn't used for perfect in the anime community, because it just can't be. Masterpiece is used as the top anime. Which are basically: FMA, Steins Gate and HxH. (Based on the majority)
>>
>>137255489
>An interesting thing that they cut from the anime was that in the VN he considers raping Suzuha because he would just time loop back anyway.
Holy shit thats hot
>>
>>137256504

I haven't seen HxH yet sadly. So far out of the near 100 shows I've seen, Monogatari takes the cake without a doubt
>>
>>137256504
Here are all my 10 rated anime:
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Steins;Gate (this one, man I wish I could just reverse time and watch it again. I really was into this shit man, It was hard for me for 2 days to think what is reality and what is anime)
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
>>
>>137255489
> Can we act a little more fucking mature and respect each others opinions?

Meanwhile the topic title and main post are "Y-your opinion is wrong."
>>
>>137255489

You know in all seriousness I liked this show quite a bit but I'll never ever understand why it's apparently supposed to be one of the all time greats.
>>
>>137256461

Oh fucking boy this thread just abandoned all pretense of not being a 100% bait thread didn't it?
>>
>>137256818
>>137256291
>>137256337
>>137256349

My title was douchey, I admit. There are relentless downvotes all over here though
>>
>>137255888
I think that's because the anime and the VN only goes through Okabe's point of view, and therefore, everything that describes Mayuri is solely based on his view only (and his relationship with her). We don't get to see her side at all.
>>
>>137256589

You forgot to add Shin Sekai Yori, Clannad After Story, Code Geass, Madoka Magica, Bakemonogatari, Gintama, Your Lie in April and Erased there MAL-kun.
>>
>>137256589

MALtaste: The Postening
>>
>>137255489
Subjectively, he had went through hundreds of leaps in that time span of three weeks. Kurisu is not a girl he barely knew, anon.
>>
>Code Geass

>Masterpiece

Ok, where's the cocaine?
>>
>>137257238
>anon
nevermind, I missed that.
>>
File: 1439101501515.gif (141 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
1439101501515.gif
141 KB, 560x400
>>
File: 1453149276924.jpg (6 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
1453149276924.jpg
6 KB, 266x190
>>137255845
>people who think character development means they change through the story
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/2j3j0l/spoilerssteinsgate_is_not_as_good_as_ranime/
5 seconds in google
Kill yourself
>>
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's highly overrated.. Watched 5-6 episodes of boringness before I dropped it.
>>
>>137257351
>oh look this character changed a lot I sure do care about him even though we know jackshit about him
>>
>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
File: serves you right.jpg (37 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
serves you right.jpg
37 KB, 500x297
>>137255489
>>
>>137257446
How can you claim the value of something if you only watched a fourth of the show? That's building up the plot. Not everything needs to be fast-paced right from the start.
>>
>>137257446
The early episodes are okay, but the real reason they exist is to build up to the actual good shit, which comes in about halfway through. The buildup is very necessary, but at the same time, is nowhere near as enjoyable as the second half. If you actually want to know why the series is so damn popular, you'll have to keep going.
>>
>USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
Ah; how long it's been since I've seen you old friend
>>
File: 19825892.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
19825892.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>137255489

Anti-Commitee hard at work.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.