[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oscar Best Animated Feature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 5
File: WhenMarineWasThere.jpg (127 KB, 723x422) Image search: [Google]
WhenMarineWasThere.jpg
127 KB, 723x422
Anomalisa - Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
Boy and the World - AlĂȘ Abreu
Inside Out - Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
Shaun the Sheep Movie - Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
When Marnie Was There - Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

http://oscar.go.com/nominees/actress-in-a-supporting-role
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-14/ghibli-when-marnie-was-there-anime-nominated-for-oscar/.97555
>>
DISNEY
>>
Bakemono no Ko too
>>
>>136115064
Oh wow, another Ghibli shit gets a not-gonna-win nomination.
What a surprise!
>>
>>136115064
A subtext movie getting a Oscar
this will be epic
>>
G'wan Shauny boy!
>>
>>136117513
Epic, epic for the win
>>
anime doesn't stand a chance. Especially against pixar. the oscar cunts don't like anime - they fucking hate japs
>>
>DUDE I HAVE ASTHMA AND ASSBURGERS LMAO

Why do people like this?
>>
>>136116735
actually it would be pretty funny if this was the one to win it

it was okay though, pretty decent movie, good emotions, maybe ghibli's nontakahata/nonmiyazaki best

inside out is going to get the oscar though, that's pretty obvious - it's the most childish american one of the lot
>>
Inside Out will win.
>>
>>136117753
True, but it was nominated over The Good Dinosaur.
>>
>>136117753
I don't know, man. Del Toro is presenting the oscar for best animated feature and if he had a say in it he would pick Marnie. The guy is a major weeb.
>>
>>136117802
>what is Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday
Best Ghibli movies that's what.
>>
>>136117911
>WotH
>non-Miyazaki

>Only Yesterday
>non-Takahata

Anon, c'mon.
>>
The people that vote for animated films are middle-aged parents that only enjoy whatever their kids enjoyed. No way they're gonna take the time to watch anything besides the pixar film.
>>
It's gonna be the inside out one. Best animated feature is just a way for Disney and DreamWorks to boost DVD sales. Oscars suck anyway, so much shit taste I can't even watch 30 minutes of them. They exist to promote the brand of big name actors and directors

Also I would be extremely upset if Marnie pulled an Oscar while kaguya didn't. I love both films but kaguya is a league above
>>
>>136117905
But he doesn't alone have a say. All the members vote.
>>
>>136117802
>actually it would be pretty funny if this was the one to win it
We all know this will never happen. The circlejerking fags who pick these winners like to pretend "muh pixar 3dcgi is way better kek" every single year.
I always feel like the pick some random Ghibli film once in a while to pretend this is still an international category.
>>
>>136118082
>I love both films but kaguya is a league above

So much this. There was a thread after the Oscars last year with a link about the people who voted on the animated films, and barely any of the people voting actually watched any of the films, only 1 even sat and watched Kaguya, loads of people saying "I won't watch a film with subtitles" or "Isn't this chinese? Why is this in here?"
>>
>>136115064
Just more proof that US is best
>>
>>136117985
Whisper of the Heart is neither Miyazaki nor Takahata. Is it better than When Marnie Was There? Eh, that's another debate.
>>
>>136117802
>>136118082
When Marnie Was There is the weakest film in the line-up. Inside Out and Anomalisa were a hell of a lot more ambitious and actually good same with Shaun the Sheep and Boy and the World.
>>
>>136118476
Only if you ignore that Miyazaki wrote the damn thing.
>>
>>136115064
JEWSNEY
E
W
S
N
E
Y

OBVIOUSLY
B
V
I
O
U
S
L
Y

>>136117753
Nah, more like they only like Disney
>>
/tv/ here, anomalisa is the most patrician film on the list and deserves the oscar. Based Kaufman literally shits all over any anime film released since Kon died.
>>
>>136118473
USA USA USA
>>
File: 1373489881149.jpg (25 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
1373489881149.jpg
25 KB, 475x356
>>136118812
That's REALLY impressive considering how many art house anime films have been produced in the past 5 years with budgets of $8m.
>>
>>136118812
Princess Kaguya is a better film than anything Kon ever made.
>>
File: 1439189496_19d035acf9.jpg (209 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1439189496_19d035acf9.jpg
209 KB, 500x500
>>136118473
>>136119030
feeble nippon will never compare
>>
>>136119165

Stop motion is much more expensive than regular animation and it was animated in America where they pay people proper wages rather than farmed out to low paid gooks like anime usually is.

>>136119210

I do agree that Kaguya is on a similar level to Anomalisa, although not as good. You have to admit though that anime films aside from Kaguya have mostly been dreck.
>>
>>136119318

*been dreck recently
>>
In the rare case that Disney doesn't win, and Marnie gets it, I wonder if Miyazaki will kill himself on live television.
Kizu should be there
>>
>Oscar thread
Who cares?Everyone knows that's a american circlejerk. It's a fucking miracle that Spirited away was able to win in 2001.
>>136119423
Miyazaki doesn't give a shit about Oscar though.
>>
>>136115064
Marnie was shit though
>>
Boy and the World has the best aesthetic. The others all have generic aesthetics except for Anomalisa which just looks creepy and uncanny.
>>
>>136119509
This. Frozen and Big Hero 6 winning over The Wind Rises and Kaguya was upsetting, Marnie was meh so anything winning over it is nothing to get upset about especially since every film that's nominated is superior to it.
>>
I don't even need to look at the list to tell that some Pixar, Dream Works or Disney shit will win. It's always like this.
>>
>H8ful 8 not nominated for best movie

Sasuga jewwood.
>>
>>136118174
>"muh pixar 3dcgi is way better kek"
Pixar is way ahead of anything Japan you weeb.
>>
>>136119784

>Hateful Eight

Bluepill as fuck
>>
>>136119892
It was the second best movie in 2015 though (Sicario was the best).
>>
>>136119853
Pixar movies are fucking shit though. They may be ahead in terms of CGI/3D animation, but it doesn't matter when all they make is hot garbage.
>>
>>136119210
Kaguya is ballsless ambient animation.
The closest it comes to a point relevant to the times is making one sort of wonder if its about waifu idolatry, but it doesn't actually go into that in any kind of meaningful way.
>>
>>136118174

Out of the 5 films nominated, one is Brazilian, one is British, one is Japanese and two are American. How the fuck is that not international? The nominations for the animated film are usually pretty solid, it's the fact that Disney always wins because the academy voters just vote for their grandchildren's favourite film is the problem.
>>
>>136119853
Define ahead.
>>
>>136118527
>Anomalisa
>actually good
>>
>>136118812
Go back to your containment board, faggot
>>
>>136120097

Go back to your containment website, redditor

>>136120076

Anomalisa is a masterpiece family
>>
>>136119976
>Kaguya is ballsless ambient animation.
Its a fucking adaptation of the oldest Japanese folklore, its been done to death and even the animation technique isn't new.
>>
>>136119988
That's exactly my point. Does it matter if some random indie movie from Kazakhstan gets nominated when it's obvious some DisneyPixar/Dreamworks crap will take it?
Why nominate it in the first place?
Just make the thing jewwood-only and call it a day.
>>
Miyazaki didn't even show up in the ceremony when he won. I doubt that the academy will ever give another prize to Ghibli.
>>
Can't be bothered checking, has any anime apart from Spirited Away won an Oscar? Are they regularly nominated?
>>
>>136120300
>Just make the thing jewwood-only and call it a day.
They have to give the illusion that's a fair competition and films other than american shit have a chance of winning, anon.
>>
>>136120374
>Are they regularly nominated
Ghibili stuff always are. No, they never win.
>>
File: Fashion Cycle.jpg (56 KB, 700x389) Image search: [Google]
Fashion Cycle.jpg
56 KB, 700x389
>>136119853
Now with every animation movie had done in 3D, it make all of them looks cheap and instant, also people seems already bored from it. Disney should remember it is not '95 anymore.

Just like Fashion Cycle, I think now people begin to appreciate hand crafted animation movie again like Garden of Words more than before.
This is all about creative industry anon, not Tech industry.
>>
>>136120374
Ghibli was nominated several times, but it only won with Spirited away. I think that Miyazaki alone was nominated 3 times since 2001 and there some 2 or 3 other films not directed by him that were nominated as well.
>>
HOSADAFAGS

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>136116735
To be honest, Kaguya deserved it. When Marnie is THere, not so much.
>>
>>136115064
Who cares, the Oscars are a joke.
>>
>>136120300
>Why nominate it in the first place?
Would you fucking prefer Minions and the Good Dinosaur being listed? Are you fags still asspained over Brave winning in 2013 that you write off any Pixar nomination even if its good?
>>
>Ghibli
I bet they don't even know about anything except Ghibli
>no hateful 8
>>
>>136120542
>Would you fucking prefer Minions and the Good Dinosaur being listed?
Not him but who cares?It's entirely possible that even shit like minions would win over any Ghibli movie anyway. That's generally how the Oscar works.
>>
>>136120542
I'm more asspained over Big Hero 6 winning in 2014.
>>
I thought that we promised to not talk about Oscars here.
>>
>>136120706
Many leave and many more take their place every day. It's like the human body. After a year, it's all different cells.
>>
What are your favorite Ghibli movies, /a/?
>>
>>136120663
Oscar's are far from perfect and there have been many fiascos throughout the years - Apocalypse Now or that mediocre Jarhead rehash the year of Inglorious Basterds off the top of my head; but it'd be bigoted to call them worthless.

Inside Out was nothing to write home about, but then again, hardly anything in that list is going to be remembered past next year.
>>
>>136119318
Good animated films don't make money, so people don't make good animated films anymore. Ghibli had a very strong brand and immense talent in Miyazaki and takahata's which is how they stayed in business for so long. Anomalisa looks great, but if it doesn't win the Oscar it is going to be a big flop financially. Also comparing films that are so different is asinine and makes you look immature
>>
Marnie didn't even win the Japan Academy Prize, it lost to a Doraemon movie

It's lucky to even get a nomination at the Oscars
>>
>>136120542
What kind of message do you think they're transmitting when international stuff gets nominated every time but never fucking win?
God bless based murrica. Land of animation!

You mean Frozen in 2013? I'm fine with it actually. If I were to be asspained about this shitty event it would be over Ghibli getting nominated over Satoshi.

>>136120706
We grumble about it every year. It eventually gets 404'ed every year.
>>
>>136120837
>Good animated films don't make money, so people don't make good animated films anymore.
Everytime that I see the box office from Kaguya, it breaks my heart. It wasn't even enough to pay what they spent when making the movie.
>>
>>136120667
you mean 2015
2014 was frozen
not that it would make any difference though
>>
>>136121026
Had the movie been finished on time and released as a double feature w/ kaze tachinu as originally planned it would have done much better financially, but hey, at least it got finished.
>>
>>136120851
>Ghibli getting nominated over Satoshi.
What's the problem with that?Both are God-tier, but have completely different styles. The thing is that you just prefer Satoshi because his movies seem to be more targeted toward adults compared to Ghibli.
>>
>>136121026
Come on
Japan
>456 screens
US
>3.5 screens
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 960x720
>Oscars
>important

For fucks sake, Mad Max got a nomination for best picture, how do you take this shit seriously?
>>
>>136115064
Koe no Katachi will win it next year.

I'm not kidding, it's the kind of story that gets recognized everywhere.
>>
I thought that Marnie aired in 2014.
>>
>>136121278
>jump romance manga
>kyoani
I know that's the kind of shit redditors like yourself willingly slurp down, but kono sekai no katsumi ni is going to be the best animated film of 2016
>>
>>136120479
I really hope you're right.
>>
>>136120851
>You mean Frozen in 2013? I'm fine with it actually.
Kill yourself
>>
Inside Out should win this. It's a great animated feature.
>>
>>136121461
>another world war 2 story
>being better received than literal award bait about bullying of disabled children supported by the Japanese Federation of the Deaf

Yeah right

And it's not just Kyoani, it's Yamada as well. Japs are already familiar with her because she got a nomination at Japanese Academy Prize for K-ON and took home best new director at JMAF for TLS.

Keep your ignorance and butthurt about Kyoani back on /v/
>>
>>136121880
Yeah, because there are so few anime about high schoolers and way too fucking many about ww2... if I don't know who fumiyo kono is that only further proves how much of a pleb you are.
>>
>>136117753
They don't like animated film period. They only see it as mindless entertainment for children and that's it. The have never seen any of these films and are just going to pick the most noteworthy film.
>>
>>136122044
If you*
Sorry, sent from my droid turbo
>>
Girls und Panzer the movie is the best animated film I saw in year.
Everything about it is near perfect, the pacing, the animation, the direction, the fucking sound design
>>
>>136115064
fucking Big Hero 6 won last year over Kaguya... so this year the possibility is even worst, Inside Out being a much better film.

I still think Marnie is better than Inside Out though
>>
>>136122044
Yes, Koe no Katachi is clearly just a high schooler story and its popularity has nothing to do with one of its central characters being disabled.
And no, we definitely haven't had a WW2 movie in a while definitely not like Ghibli just made one in 2013.

Why do retards from /v/ pretend like they know anything about anime?
>>
>>136119423
Oscar is only for movies aired in the US. If Kizu is nominated, will it only next year.

Boy and the world is 2013 in Brazil for example.
>>
Nice to see an Anomalisa nom I was worried they were going to ignore it because "muh kids category"

Still haven't seen it but I'm expecting good things
>>
>>136122313
First off, epic redirect to /v/, you really showed me. I'm definitely not an anime or Japanese cinema buff, oh no I much prefer dota 2. Second, I don't know if we watched the same film, wind rises is not a ww2 film, it takes place during the interbellum. There is a difference, which you would appreciate if you had any knowledge of Japanese culture. And finally, it doesn't matter one bit if the protag is disabled, its going to be crying high school forced drama.... I can't watch that shit anymore. I don't understand how anime fans in particular shovel the same rehashed shit down their throats year after year after year
>>
>>136122807
That's probably because you're too close minded and caught up with the setting rather than the themes portrayed. Saying KnK is just a high school drama and ignoring how it sheds light on the japanese treatment of disabled children is really simplifying the story beyond reason. The fact that you don't think the protagonist being disabled is relevant when it's central to the story is kind of grasping for straws don't you think? The high school setting might be overused in anime but it's in no way an indictment on all stories told that uses it, and KnK has more to say about the treatment of deaf children and how the victims of bullying start blaming themselves than it does about high school life.

And it's a little humorous you get all offended about being told to go back to /v/ when you first started calling people redditors. Maybe don't be such a faggot if you're going to be thin skinned about it being used on you, and if your only complaint is the prevalence of high schools in anime then fuck off back to /v/
>>
Be kind of sad if Marnie wins it, I thought it was one of the weaker Ghibli films recently.
>>
>>136123417
It's weaker than Kaguya (what isn't though) but I thought it was better than Wind.
>>
>>136122054
This, They created the best animated film category because when Beauty and the Beast won Best Picture the suits flipped their shit and didn't like that a "cartoon" won the highest award.
>>
>>136123465
Ah well, I thought it was weaker than Kaguya and Wind. I honestly cannot believe Kaguya lost.
>>
>>136123468
Beauty and the Beast didn't win, it was nominated. And the award was created for Shrek (seriously).
>>
>>136123468
Japan which makes dozens and dozens of cartoons every year also created a separate category for animation in their Academy awards
>>
>>136120813
Laputa
>>
>>136120813
Laputa
>>
>>136120813
Whisper of the Heart
>>
>>136120813

The Wing Rises
>>
>>136123368
The drama in KnK goes full retard during the last part of the manga though. But I doubt the movie will cover that.
>>
>>136120813
The Wind Rises.
>>
>>136118025
They'll watch Anomalisa and wish it weren't in the kids' category.
>>
>>136121264
>Mad Max
Have you seen the movie? It's really quite good. I honestly was surprised and a little delighted to see it get a nod. Nice to see that the AA can think outside of their art house film box.

Most of everything else about the nominations annoy me, however.
>>
>>136115064
No Love Live.

This list is invalid!
>>
Was that Marnie movie even good? I forgot all about it.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.