[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically, how could Studio Ghibli be saved from its current
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68 KB, 1829x1028) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68 KB, 1829x1028
Realistically, how could Studio Ghibli be saved from its current comatose situation?
>>
Does it need to be?
>>
>>136060824
Make TV animation.
>>
More fanservice. Time and time again every season proves that anime doesn't matter, only fanserverice does. See: Phantom, etc.
>>
>>136060877
slippery slope right there
>>
>>136060906
When Marnie Was There should have had a kissu.
>>
File: tumblr_lnrrtz4cQA1qd664go1_500.gif (413 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lnrrtz4cQA1qd664go1_500.gif
413 KB, 500x300
>>136060824

more shots of food,
>>
>>136060877
>>136060914
Sanzoku no Musume Rōnya
>>
>>136060824
Start making moeshit.
Lots of moeshit.
>>
Clone Miyazaki and make him stop aging right before he becomes a bitter old man.
>>
>>136061762
I think he was born this way.
>>
Stop letting Miyazaki sabotage every director in the studio because of his ego.
>>
>>136061762
>before he becomes a bitter old man
Good luck with that.
>>
>>136061762
Miyazaki has been a bitter, vindictive asshole since the late 70s.
>>
>>136060824
Just wait until Miyazaki dies.
>>
Do a complete 180 from their usual stuff and get risky doing something really dark and edgy, just to see if they can, at least in that regard they would get points for trying.
>>
>>136060824
Make a movie with no real resolution and flat characters that looks really pretty.
>>
File: I can already see it.png (1 MB, 396x1988) Image search: [Google]
I can already see it.png
1 MB, 396x1988
You can't save it from inevitability

If you haven't seen it, it's The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, and I think it shows the guy in a light most didn't know him as.
>>
It could have been saved if Miyazaki's successor didn't die in a car crash after 1 film
>>
>>136062529
And if they didn't dismiss Hosoda.
>>
>>136062551
Debatable desu
>>
>>136062529
Or if people, probably also including his father, hadn't made Goro feel like such shit. Earthsea was bad but Poppy Hill showed a lot of promise.
>>
>>136062581
Hosoda's latter films do better than the latest non-Miyazaki Ghibli films.
>>
They've overused the "young boy/girl encounters a magical/fantastical situation" setting far too much. It's made so many great results but the studio feels rather pigeonholed. At the same time The Wind Rises was okay but wasn't that good of a sign of where Ghibli could go.

So I'm not sure really what would help them besides more of the same stuff they always do while trying to outdo themselves (which is really hard considering their portfolio). I'm not sure anyone really knows what they should do; after all if there was a clear answer they would probably be trying it already. Maybe a far-future scifi setting, or a very-different-from-usual mecha show/movie or something.
>>
>>136062482
He's right honestly, there is literally no reason to save the studio. Anime studios come and go, they really are just a name. It's all the same people. I want go as far as to say that Ghibli has only made one movie, but all of their movies undeniably follow a similar theme, and contain similar characters. This isn't necessarily bad, in fact, it's fairly common. However, this means that there is really only one type of film they can make, and there really isn't much more room to explore it creatively.

tl;dr Miyazaki is right, all things must pass, Ghibli is dead and it's time to let go.
>>
Could the studio survive if they only made adult (but not otaku) oriented films using Takahata, or do they need those family bux?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.