[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9
File: untitled.png (307 KB, 573x616) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
307 KB, 573x616
Was anyone else insulted by this "twist"?

I get that Johan is described as a bishonen, but come on now. It's not like he can alter his voice or change his bone structure at will.
>>
>>135859377
I have no idea what you are talking about since "twist" could imply something that happens every chapter.
>>
>>135859377
Are you talking about him masquerading as Anna?
>>
>>135859508
Those chapters where he crossdresses and fakes being his sister. We are to believe that just because he put on a little make up and a wig, people are fooled into believing he's a very attractive woman.
>>
I did, because during those episodes when he was crossdressing I saved a few pics thinking it was Anna
>>
File: -iwu2tjbgxQ.jpg (41 KB, 320x391) Image search: [Google]
-iwu2tjbgxQ.jpg
41 KB, 320x391
>>135859614
Listen to me, now. Humans... can become anything.
>>
Suspend your disbelief you fucking pleb
>>
>>135859614
Well these are people that don't know him, it's just people he introduced himself to as Anna.
>>
>>135859639
>those massive shoulders
>that jawline
>this is probably a woman if he puts on a wig
>>
It's that "fraternal brother and sister twins are identical" meme present in all anime and manga. Relax, OP
>>
>>135859842
Here's a pic of him crossdressing
>>
>>135859377
Urasawa is an hack, what did you expect?
>>
I wonder how this twist will work in the live-action adaptation.
>>
>>135859781
Sure.
>>
>>135859710
i want to be a NEET
>>
File: monster_v12_057.jpg (95 KB, 740x1100) Image search: [Google]
monster_v12_057.jpg
95 KB, 740x1100
>that one time where Nina almost succeeded in pushing a little kid to suicide for no apparent reason
Why was she such a cunt?
>>
>>135861720
Not Nina.
>>
>>135859710
Now see, that page was a good twist.
>>
>>135860014
>Urasawa is an hack
According to you probably everyone is a hack
>>
>>135861749
>actually falling for shit b8
>>
>>135859614
That's because its a callback or callforward to when he was a child, and some things that are revealed later in that respect.

He's used to wearing a dress and pretending to be someone else.

Also if you remember the records Tenma found on him later, where he couldn't find his own identity on the tapes.

Johan has a thing where he has a loss of a sense of identity, but it helps him be whoever people want to be at times.
>>
>>135859842
He was from East Germany..
>>
>>135862539
No, just the mangaka that regularly starts with an interesting premise just to turn it into a trainwreck as the story goes on.
20th Century is even worse.
>>
>>135862919
Hey hey hey I like to think of Urasawa Naoki as the thinking man's Oh!Great.
>>
>>135862919
Billy Bat is an entertaining trainwreck though
>>
>>135862919
Monster is surprisingly concise on reflection.

20th century boys, as you stated, became an incredible clusterfuck near the end
>>
>>135862919
That's the case with most mangaka, I don't see the point in singling Urakawa out.
>>
>>135862919
>>135863009
Urasawa reminds me of JJ Abrams with stuff like LOST and Fringe. It starts out very procedural but when it starts to make money instead of logically ending it he just keeps escalating the plot.
>>
>>135863174
>That's the case with most mangaka
Stop reading shitty manga.
>>
File: 1351797943741.png (28 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1351797943741.png
28 KB, 555x407
>>135863343
easier said than done, isn't it.
>>
>>135863343
You've been flinging a lot of shit here without pointing out any other options. Got someone in mind who you think is better than Urasawa?
>>
>>135862919
20th Century Boys is bad but entertaining

Not the case for Monster though
Monster is meticulously planeed and a masterpiece
>>
File: monster_v18c11pg246_47.jpg (196 KB, 1456x1033) Image search: [Google]
monster_v18c11pg246_47.jpg
196 KB, 1456x1033
>>135863635
>planned
What happened to the "perfect suicide"? That was legitimately one of the more though provoking abstracts I've seen in a manga.

Also Dr.Cuckma never fucked Nina while thinking of Johan.
>>
>>135863925
Nina is not for fucked so does as Johan
>>
>>135863925
Johan is gonna jedi mind trick his way out of prison and start killing people again just to see when Tenma will stop performing brain surgery on him.
>>
File: 1433815277990.png (54 KB, 251x257) Image search: [Google]
1433815277990.png
54 KB, 251x257
How did people react to the ending? Was it seen as too contrived, too conventional? It ends with a classic "hate only begets more hate" parable with characters forgiving Johan, casually ignoring the fact he's responsible for the death of countless people, just massacred an entire town, and states himself he does not seek atonement.
>>
>>135864538
I honestly don't remember the ending. I remember something about a gun shot, people in a village getting all paranoid and killing each other? But I don't remember being angry or dissapointed by it.

In short: I forgot lol sorry
>>
>>135863925
>Also Dr.Cuckma never fucked Nina while thinking of Johan
He has literally no reason to do so. The man's loyal to his fiancee Eve, he always wants to get back to her instead of a girl who can pass as his daughter.
>>
>>135864685
That's why I said he's a cuck. And he should go for the better girl.
>>
>>135863925
>What happened to the "perfect suicide"?

He made everyone in that town kill each-other,he showed it to Tenma since Tenma was the one who saved his life and wanted to prove Tenma wrong by making Tenma kill him.The latter didn't comply with Johan's wish and couldn't do it,he got shot 2-3 times in the head(and somehow survived later) by some random person.It's implied he changed his views because he lost his battle with Tenma
>>
>>135865150
That wasn't the perfect suicide, the perfect suicide was when you kill everyone that knows your identity or is connected to you in any way.

Johan's goal for like 3/4ths of the series was stated as "wanting to win life" by being the last man alive when the planet is dead.
>>
>>135864538
Johan was in a coma so they couldn't exactly imprison him on that state
And furthermore considering the methods Johan used to perform atrocities it's hard to gather enough evidence against him

Besides in the last panel he leaves his hospital bed
I hear he turns his around his life and becomes a successful businessman according to "Another Monster" which I haven't read
>>
>>135864685
He doesn't go back to Eva
He already rejected her when she came back to him

Anyways I don't get the whole Tenma/Nina shit...she's practically a child to him and there's never shown to be an attraction between them
He's more of a fatherly figure to her
>>
>>135865150
>It's implied he changed his views
This is never implied.
>>
>>135865251
That's only what other people state about him
And it probably was his original plan before he met Tenma

The perfect suicide was just a decoy
Think about when Johan at the beginning tells Anna to shoot him and she does it
Tenma instead doesn't do it this time around so he turns into a new leaf
>>
>>135865320
I though he gone missing, MIA
What is that Another Monster?
>>
>>135865536
>What is that Another Monster?

It's a novel that came out a year after the manga ended
http://obluda.wikia.com/wiki/Another_Monster
>>
>>135865520
I agree, or at least that's how Urasawa would play it if asked up front. But those 2 things were for me, the most interesting parts of the whole manga.
>>
>>135865384
He still loves her but his narrow mind just couldn't forget that she "betrayed" him before and chose to go a separated path, a decision that torments both of them.
>>
>>135865667
>narrow minded

c'mon the first tank she was savage. I'd never fuck wit a girl like that again.

didn't she have some banging with the fat balding evil guy for awhile, or did I imagine that?
>>
>>135865825
Roberto?
but the bitch changed to improve
>>
>>135865825
She did to find a chance to save Tenma, and she actually risked her life to save him, didin't even care she could likely be killed, he didn't even thank her for that.
>>
>>135865956
She put him in danger and informed his anatagonists throughout. Saving him once is debatabely not enough, especially in Monster's world.
If it was like that than Johan and Tenma would've been best friends for the past 10 years.
>>
Monster is really ridiculous and it's filled with twists that fall apart once you think about them a bit. Pluto is Urusawa's best serious manga.
>>
>>135866106
>She put him in danger and informed his anatagonists throughout
She did it when they're still mad at each other because of the sudden break up, she wasn't at her right mind at that time and has been regretted so much later. On the other hand, he arguably is the one who ruined her whole life.
And she didn't just save him once. She tried her best to support him after that.
>>
>>135865610
The whole manga despite being realistic it still exaggerates stuff to make shit more interesting like all fiction does

Tenma after feeling himself to blame for creating a Monster by saving Johan set out to kill him despite it being against everything he stands for
In the end he couldn't do it

Johan basically wanted to confirm if someone really loved him/cared about him as silly as it all sounds
And Tenma was his saviour by not killing him and saving his life a 2nd time
>>135865667
I think he made the right choice by sticking to his guns
She not only betrayed him she also tried to imprison him you can't forget that

Of course Eva changes a lot later on and becomes a good person(she had the best character development imo)
But at the end of the series Eva was still grieving about Martin's death and she was over Tenma a long while ago anyways
>>
>>135866352
>He ruined her whole life
And she ruined his so they're even

And what are you talking about? I'm pretty sure Tenma came to her rescue once in the later part of the series...can't quite remember when...

At the end of the series they're shown to be friend now and Eva is still mourning Martin's death
>>
>>135866358
To be fair, she tried to harm him before she got "better".

About Martin, she remembered him because he died protecting her, you can't just forget your savior like that. But I'm sure she would agree to get back to Tenma if he really came for her.
>>
>>135866352
How in the hell did Tenma ruin her life?
>>
>>135866561
But Temna can do better now, after being cleared of all charges and catching a serial killed too, he can get a woman with equal to or greater specs than Eva had in the beginning.
>>
>>135866561
Yeah I already mentioned that she tried to imprison him for example

I'm pretty sure it was implied that Eva fell for him
At least that's how I interpreted it

As for going back to Tenma I'm not sure...they seemed more distant at the end and they seemed content with how things were
>>
>>135866715
He rejected her when she needed him the most. He was the only one who she could rely on at that point but refused to do the job out of resentment. She broke and set herself on the path of self-destruction. Well, he had his reason but it's still a dick move as a man.
>>135866720
Best girl isn't about pure specs, anon.
>>135866851
Tim can heal wounds and make love blossom again.
>>
>>135867090
Anything the Tenma does after becoming a fugitive you can't really hold against him.
I mean if you wanna be technical he should be in prison alongside Johan when you consider the amount of small charges that piled up during his run from the law.
>>
>>135863925
I believe he really wanted to be the last person on Earth, or get as close to it as possible.

In Kinderheim, he manipulates people's suspicions to make everyone kill each other.

In Ruhenheim, he does the same thing on a larger scale; only getting distracted along the way while testing Tenma's morals.

His final goal is to take his 'formula' of manipulating people's suspicions and apply it on the whole world, creating a bloodbath on a global level. It worked for him twice already, he wants to see how far he can take the bloodshed using his manipulative ability.

That's why the fact that Johan escapes at the end is so terrifying.
>>
>>135867090
I was referring to Eva falling for Martin...not sure if I made it clear in my previous post
>>
>>135867320
Uh, that was not his goal at all. After what Nina reveals to him (his memories are not actually his own), he genuinely decides to suicide. The Ruhenheim massacre is a way to "erase all the memories" for him. World domination is the last thing on his mind at that point
>>
>>135867320
He could be dead.

He could have been taken out for a walk in a wheelchair by a nurse.

I don't know why people just assume he escaped, especially since being shot in the head more than once tends to result in brain damage.
>>
>>135867320
>That's why the fact that Johan escapes at the end is so terrifying.
It's not really terrifying...it's revealed that he turns his life around and becomes a businessman in "Another Monster"

Testing Tenma was his true plan
He tested Nina prior to testing Tenma

If Nina hadn't shot him this all could have been avoided(not that you can blame her since she was a child and didn't know better)
That's why she chooses to forgive him the next time she confronts him as an adult(err...teenager)

But he's still intent on testing the man who saved his life
>>
>>135867414
Yeah, I was talking about it too, even if she really fell for him, it's just a short period of time and it's more like gratitude than anything, she would eventually move on when Martin is dead now and Tenma is always there for her.
>>
>>135867320
>Marathoning Monster
>Reaching the end
>Tenma visits Johan in the hospital
>Johan is just chilling there
>not encased in concrete or glued to the wall
>the same guy who can talk children into suicide in like 30 seconds

Legitimately the most frightening and unsettling part of the manga was that after all that shit he didn't have his tendons bolted.
Him escaping is like leaving the windows open while owning a pet bird.
>>
>>135867611
>it's more like gratitude than anything
Wrong

You're forgetting that Eva told him he to leave with her and that she was waiting for him at the train station

I'm not completely discounting the possibility of Eva getting with another man but it seemed like she had gotten over Tenma at the end and didn't want him anymore...that's what it seemed to me like at least
>>
>>135863925
It's his modus operandi. Monster without name.
>>
>>135867753
She only loved Roberto /thread
>>
>>135867642
>not encased in concrete or glued to the wall
He was in a coma and that probably wouldn't have helped him recover
>>
>>135867844
Yeah but it'd help me recover.
>>
>>135867799
nice b8
>>
Will Johan kill his mother in the end?
>>
>>135867753
I have the feeling their love develop too fast. To me, it looked like she was moved by his sob story and her motherly instinct kicked in, then she confused it with love. She wanted them to leave because she somehow got the feeling he's going to be killed if they stay any longer rather than because she wanted to build a happy family with him.
>>
>>135867320
>Terrifying
It's interesting, yes. Reminds me to the ending of The Silence of the Lambs. I think its was very stupid that there wasn't a policeman in the room, or that he wasn't at least tied.
>>
Tenma ends up with Nina, my dad is Urasawa Naoki and he said so.
>>
>>135867966
>Motherly instinct
As if
Remember how pissed she was when that gardener went to his family?

It was mutual
Eva opened up to him about her problems with Tenma and he opened up to her about his problems with his Mother/Ex-GF

I didn't think it moved that fast considering Martin and Eva(to a certain degree) were supporting characters
>>
>>135867876
Then what's the point of saving him?
>>
>>135868180
>Eva opened up to him about her problems with Tenma and he opened up to her about his problems with his Mother/Ex-GF
More like a rebound and they're trying to lick each other's woud.
>Martin and Eva(to a certain degree) were supporting characters
True to Martin, but wasn't Eve the main heroine?
>>
>>135859911
Must be heavily maked up. Also, wearing a big coat all the time seems to help.
>>
>>135868209
It was just the hypocratic oath.
>>
>>135868286
Yeah no shit...but she finally found someone who she can relate to
It slowly turned into love when she started caring about him beyond as just a bodyguard

There's no such thing as heroes and heroines in Monster
Yeah of course she was one of the main characters but she fell to the wayside throughout a lot of the story and felt like a supportive character in the later parts of the series(that's why I said "to a degree")
>>
>>135868374
But you can't save him by putting him in cement when he's in such a grave condition
>>
>>135868515
Tenma isn't his attending physician anymore.
>>
>>135859639
This scene really disturbed me for some reason, even though I knew it was coming and usually love traps.
>>
>>135868578
Umm...the point remains exactly the same
He was put in a hospital to be saved
Putting him in Cement or Gluing him to a wall won't help him recover
>>
>>135869141
Yes but he won't escape. The entire point of the series is that Tenma is above the rest of those sheeple.
>>
>>135869993
How can he escape when he's on a coma?
>>
>>135870072
He wasn't at the very end. That's when he should be encased in carbonite like in star wars.
>>
File: aged_wb20160108104259391119.jpg (26 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
aged_wb20160108104259391119.jpg
26 KB, 361x361
>>135859377
A little contouring goes a long way.
>>
I really liked Monster. I knew it was going to shit because I had the whole thing downloaded and there were few volumes left and didn't see how it was going to wrap it up well with just that.

The funny thing is that I almost don't remember anything about it by now. Maybe I could read it again.
>>
>>135870120
But he woke up all of a sudden
>>
>>135870515
Yeah, they should have had a construction crew on-call at the hospital to turn him into a human statue immediately.
>>
>>135870174
Well Monster is pretty heavy on plot so you can't remember every minutiae of it

>Maybe I could read it again
Watch the anime this time around instead(I recommoned torrenting the Figmentos release on BakaBT)
You've already read the manga so might as well watch the Anime Version(which is very faithful to the manga overall besides a few scenes here and there that are re-ordered and has phenomenal voice acting and music)
>>
>>135870555
Now you're being ridiculous
>>
>>135868578
He is a doctor, it's Tenma's job to save peope, regardless who they are.
>>
>>135870806
You were taking the "encase him in concrete" discussion seriously?

Just handcuff him.
>>135870866
>believing this
>>
>>135871140
>believing this
What's wrong with it? Doctors have to literally take an oath before they become one to do so.
>>
>>135871213
It's all bullshit. Doctors are just people like anyone else. Hell, if you're not living in a 1st world country it's essentially simply a business.
If a plumber walks by a leaky faucet he's not required to fix it.
>>
>>135871140
You completely missed the point of Monster and Tenma's character, didn't you?
>>
>>135871140
>believing this
This is retarded
If Tenma didn't care he would have just shot him in Ruhenheim
>>
>>135871491
>>135871401
I'm talking about doctors in general. Tenma was above an beyond the average human, that's the whole point of Johan's "tests".
>>
>>135871213
Wouldn't it be against the oath to revive someone who attempts suicide?
>>
>>135871722
Huh, since when?
>>
>>135871326
It's not bullshit it's up to the person. And the important points are covered by laws anyway so even if you're in for the money you can't go around fucking with people.
>>
>>135871722
Johan was shot by another person he didn't attempt suicide
>>135871619
The average doctor isn't like the corrupted hospital at the beginning either

And there's no doubt that Nina looked after Johan while Tenma was gone and she informed him on his situation daily via Telephone

Runge could probably arrest any of the doctors if they tried maltreating him too
>>
>>135859710
This was the best twist in the manga.
>>
Is Urasawa the master of making interesting mystery mangas with poor endings?
>>
>>135872502
>mangas
>>
>>135872426
Runge should've tried arresting Johan before he escaped instead.
>>
>>135872525
At the end?
How was Runge supposed to know when he wakes from his Coma?
>>135872502
>Monster
>Poor Ending
Bitch please

If you're talking about 20th century boys I agree but not Monster
>>
>>135872812
Stay there with him. He was so obsessed it's the least he could've done with his legitimate autistic brain.
>>
>>135873041
Kek
I don't think he's allowed to do that due to Hospital Regulations and he has his job so it's not like he can do as he pleases
>>
>>135867090
>Tim can heal wounds and make love blossom again.
I really need to find this Tim guy. Does he also do enchantments and stuff?
>>
I legit don't understand why hes been dressing up as Nina ever since he was a child.

Was he gay?
>>
>>135875903
Their mother made him dress that way so that it would appear she only had one child.
>>
I'm more insulted by the fact of how bullshit smart the author made Johann
The thing that especially triggered me was the one about the underground bank
>>
>>135876634
What does he do?
>>
>>135876720
At age 15 he sets up an underground bank for organized crime and makes billions in just 2 years.
>>
>>135876846
Oh yeah. That was pretty much bullshit, although it's established pretty early and done off-screen to make it less unbelievable.
He's not that smart the rest of the time though, just able to talk a few weak persons to their suicides and having a bunch of goons to do his work
>>
>>135862919
>starts with an interesting premise just to turn it into a trainwreck as the story goes on.

Sounds like the Fate series
>>
>>135876891
I still don't understand how he killed that private detective
>>
>>135876924
He gave him a drink and then let him jump. Or maybe he pushed him.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.