[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meme tier arguments aside, why there are people who genuinelly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 111
File: neon_genesis_evangelion_46 (1).jpg (595 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
neon_genesis_evangelion_46 (1).jpg
595 KB, 1280x960
Meme tier arguments aside, why there are people who genuinelly think Evangelion is a bad series? I can understand why some people can't enjoy it: some aren't just clever enough, but find it bad is retarded.
>>
>>135634967
I can't call Eva bad, I simply can't enjoy watching it.
>>
>>135634967
I think that the people that argue that it is bad usually missed out on a lot of the story. From an objective standpoint there's not really anything significantly wrong with this series, and this is coming from someone who rarely enjoys mecha as much as any other given genre. Also Asuka a cute
>>
Its not bad by any means, but I found the psychological dribble really dull and uninteresting.
However, I really enjoyed the mecha shit in it. The designs were sleek, the AT fields were interesting, and the sense of weight they had was awesome.
If it was just another MotW show, it could have been one of my favorites.
>>
Symbolism for the sake of symbolism
It comes off as much deeper than what it is (the fanbase aside it still presents itself that way)
Incredibly uninteresting characters
Repeating the same mini-arc of Shinji not being a shit over and over again
An ending that is just a clusterfuck of imagery with no real coherence
>>
>>135635125
The ending is something that I will concede. Despite finding the series to be very good I was dissatisfied with the ending, for reasons more than just not enjoying it.
>>
As someone who didn't enjoy it the first time I watched it, I'd say it was because I wasn't paying attention to the character's emotions as a part of the story and I was just waiting for cool stuff to happen. Then that fucking 2 episode ending happened and just left me weirded out.

The second time after having watched at least 30 different anime series I was more ready, everything about it was beautiful.
>>
>>135635186
I didn't really care for it at all. I finished just because it's something that kind of made anime what it is today, and I know it's one of the first big shows that popularized the idea of a waifu with Asuka and Rei, and there's a lot from it that's referenced in anime that comes later. After spending years hearing about how it was so great, I was incredibly disappointed, and I'm probably a lot harder on it than I should be.

That said, I have a co-worker who is legit one of those guys. "Once you watch Eva, nothing else even compares, man. Almost no point in watching any other anime" fucking verbatum
>>
>>135634967
A lot of the execution is pretty bad.
>>
>>135635331
Narrative especially. Love it anyway.
>>
>>135635331
In what way?
>>
>>135635316
I too watched the series after having heard for a long time that it was magnificent beyond compare, and therefore I tried to make myself cognizant that I shouldn't hold it too stringently to the standards of others. However I cannot stand people who say that exact line "[...] almost no point in watching any other anime." I will never understand that. I don't know if this is just me but when I see a fantastic anime it makes me want to keep watching more to find others that I will enjoy just as much if not more. Is your co-worker also one of those people that refuses to watch anything made after 1999? Because I've found that those two categories typically go hand in hand.
>>
>>135635331
Would you mind elaborating on that?
>>
>>135635471
>>135635516
Using uninteresting and cliche infodumps to explain the mechanics of the Evas and other lore, using edgy imagery to reveal a character's oh so dark past, the reveal of Asuka seeing her mother commit suicide was just godawful and generic, I remember bursting out laughing at how ridiculous it was.
A lot of scenes were try hard in getting you to sympathize with the characters, but there were also some subtle moments that were good.
It was a mixed bag really, but overall the execution was the biggest flaw I would say.
>>
>>135635660
>a lot of scenes were try hard in getting you to sympathize with the characters

That's an interesting prerogative--it never came across that way to me. I viewed it from more of an observational standpoint in that each character's emotions and behaviors were being explained.
>>
>>135635660
>Using uninteresting and cliche infodumps to explain the mechanics of the Evas and other lore

You are reffering to what? The two recap episodes? Because Eva mechanics are never explained past "it just werks"

>using edgy imagery to reveal a character's oh so dark past, the reveal of Asuka seeing her mother commit suicide was just godawful and generic

Except that actually happened, her walking in on her dead mother. It's not imagery it's the events that unfolded

>I remember bursting out laughing at how ridiculous it was

Don't cut yourself on all that edge bro
>>
>>135635822
This was just my experience with the show, I know others will feel differently.

>>135635940
The Asuka scene just came off edgy to me, I couldn't help but laugh.
>>
>>135634967
Because it's fundamentally silly, mostly.
>he pilots giant robots
>but get this
>he's also still in high school
>and his dad is in charge of the giant robot program
>this summer
>starring adam sandler
>>
>>135635013
Same. I think it's the characters and the way they interact with each other, it seems "off" in a way that doesn't pull me in.
And a lot of the material is sorta boring, I would've cut a lot of it if it were up to me.
But I can't deny that it's a well thought-out show.
>>
>>135636000
I think that the pleading for sympathy argument was valid, although I don't personally see how the suicide of Asuka's mother was edgy--it would have been edgy if Asuka responded by painting her Eva black.
>>
>>135636000
>The Asuka scene just came off edgy to me
It's a shocking scene and it's supposed to be shocking because this event fucked her up for life. You can't play down the scene because it would emphasise how important this event was.
>>
>>135636053
>I don't like fiction
Why watch anime then?

Also, judging a book by it's cover.
>>
>>135636053
Is Eva your first mecha anime?
>>
>>135636115
>I think that the pleading for sympathy argument was valid
It would be valid if the show didn't call out it's characters for doing it.
>>
>>135636053
Isn't the glaringly fictitious plot one of the series' draws?
>>
>>135636185
I suppose valid was the wrong word for me to use there. What I meant was that I can understand why anon brought up that point, albeit I personally did not agree with it.
>>
>>135636135
Neither the story of the characters were enjoyable enough to keep me watching. If the series relies on me liking the subgenre to be watchable, that's just not good enough.

If you want to be good, you have to be good despite all the tropes and cliches, and not rely on them to paper over weak fundamentals. There is plenty of anime I like that manages this.
>>
>>135634967
the first several episodes were boring and pretty awful
>>
>>135636115
>>135636122
There are better ways to execute such a scene.
Having Asuka run screaming mom and how she doesn't need dad or anything now that she can pilot Eva and be worth something, and then immediately after open the door and see her mom hung herself, I don't know, it just came across as something I'd see in some edgy middleschool kid's fanfic.
Tasteless would be the best word to describe it, I guess. I laughed because there was no tact in it, it was so generic and blunt. I don't see how someone could be shocked by something so juvenile.
>>
>>135634967
It's not a bad anime. Anyone that says so has some kind of problem.
I think the main issue is that in the years since we've been bombarded by psychological thrillers and "wow so deep" kind of stuff (and not just in anime) that it has lost value.
>>
File: 1383762856186.jpg (61 KB, 549x465) Image search: [Google]
1383762856186.jpg
61 KB, 549x465
>>135636293
>not rely on them to paper over weak fundamentals.
You haven't watched the show did you.

Because saying Eva relies on cliche is some of the dumbest shit I have ever read
>>
>>135634967
The main character is not easy to relate to, for me at least. He is a sniveling, pathetic pussy. But I guess since a lot of you beta fags in /a/ are similar to Shinji, you can relate to him, and enjoy the show.
>>
>>135636157
Furth. Watches Macross in full, loved it in every way. Watched a Gundam series, it was good, but I didn't finish it. Watched Gargantia, and I relly loved that one too. And now this.
>>
Sometimes when a baby is born it doesn't have any oxygen in its brain and without oxygen its brain cells can't grow big which means the baby grows up to be a gay retard.
>>
>>135636337
What would have been a better way to handle the scene?
>>
>>135636389
I personally do not feel that relation is required to enjoy a particular series. With Eva in particular, I enjoyed the series from a purely observational standpoint.
>>
>>135636337
>There are better ways to execute such a scene.
Like what? Just seeing her body in the morgue with narration that she killed herself?

It simply wouldn't hold the same impact, it needs to be shocking because this event changed Asuka's life permanently
>>
They're just not intelligent enough to enjoy it. It's the same with atheists being unable to enjoy religious ideas.
>>
>>135636383
I hoped they were cliches, because at least then there would be an excuse. So you're saying it's just generally nonsensical?
>>135636186
Not all aspects of it. The concept is good, but the execution is nonsense. So there's this kid, right, and there's only two or three like him, and they are the only ones that can drive huge mecha that are the only way to stop giant alien biomecha... Yet in the third episode, he just quits the program. Just like that. If they need you to save the world, they won't let you just walk off, I'd think. And more things like that.

It's all just so they can have a character high-school loners can identity with still be "realistically" piloting a giant mecha. Cut me a fucking break.
>>
>>135636293
>Neither the story of the characters were enjoyable enough to keep me watching.
>story of the characters
That sounds wrong, it's not the story but their personalities in context to the story that's supposed to be interesting. If you don't like NGE because you think it's silly you focus on the wrong thing. Shinji getting in the fucking robot isn't the conflict that's supposed to be interesting (we'll it is superficially I guess), it's his internal struggle.

>you have to be good despite all the tropes and cliches

>implying NGE relies on cliches
>>
>>135636432
For one, make sure Asuka's voice actor doesn't have such overdramatized acting like she's in some fucking soap opera.

>>135636453
I understand it's supposed to be shocking, but the best scenes in the series were always the ones you least expected (like Eva 01 going beserk and eating that angel like a human) and the most subtle ones (Shinji always opening and closing his hand told a lot about his character)
Scenes like this that were so blunt had no creativity to them. They were expected and they're cliche.
Explaining away a character's depth and complexity by giving her a backstory of seeing her mom kill herself is expected. It's unoriginal and edgy.
Therefore, it struck a laugh out of me.
>>
File: 1451640686499.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1451640686499.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>135636462
>>
>>135636592
I suppose I can come to appreciate the dissatisfaction with the series' realism, or lack-thereof, but if one assumes this mindset then I would imagine it would be quite difficult for one to be able to enjoy many different genres of anime.
>>
>>135636592
>So you're saying it's just generally nonsensical?
Actually it's all explained, in detail

>If they need you to save the world, they won't let you just walk off, I'd think
1.He is a stop-gap measure
2.They don't let him just walk off NERV is always tailing him, it's revealed in the same episode

Go watch the fucking show and stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>135635125
>uninteresting characters
How does this make it bad? Just means you didn't like them, not that they were bad characters.
>symbolism for the sake of symbolism
Come again? Symbolism for the sake of symbolism as in the religious shenanigans? That's got nothing to do with the actual story but just something Anno thought would look and sound cool. The symbolism with actual weight was actually very well done.
>>
>>135636651
>Explaining away a character's depth and complexity
None of that was done thought, you were just shows the catalyst
>>
>>135636592
>Not all aspects of it. The concept is good, but the execution is nonsense. So there's this kid, right, and there's only two or three like him, and they are the only ones that can drive huge mecha that are the only way to stop giant alien biomecha... Yet in the third episode, he just quits the program. Just like that. If they need you to save the world, they won't let you just walk off, I'd think. And more things like that.
Wow is this how autists think about fiction? Just analyzing everything literally while being completely blind to the show's actual intent? Damn.
>>
>>135636614
>Shinji getting in the fucking robot isn't the conflict that's supposed to be interesting
Then don't make it a giant robot series, maybe? Just do another high school series. Or make him an actual child soldier or something, if it needs to be really edgy.
>>
>>135636592
It's stupid and crazy to let him go, Ritsuko's brainwashing suggestion is totally reasonable for the stakes, but that is his dad in charge. And it's thematically important that Shinji isn't actually forced, choices he makes unconsciously come up when the show goes into his head.
>>
Congratulations!
>>
>>135636801
>just go with another high school series

But that's one of Eva's greatest strengths, that it /isn't/ just another high school series, it incorporates internal conflict into mecha.
>>
It was okay but it was far from being my favorite show of all time. I have no clue why /a/ shills this show so fucking hard all the time.
>>
>>135636801
>Or make him an actual child soldier or something
He is one, your squirl-like attention span just prevented you from actually watching the show and finding it out

His phone is tapped
He is under NERV surveliance 24/7
He has a handler
The school is a NERV front

The only reason why they don't torture him in order to get him to pilot is because of the mechanics of Eva piloting
>>
It's not bad, it's just not very good either.
>>
>>135636951
>I have no clue why /a/ shills this show so fucking hard all the time.
>shill
Please don't use words you don't know the meaning of and go back to /v/.
>>
>>135636951
This is one complaint about Eva that I agree with (granted it's not really a complaint with the anime, it's a complaint with the fan base). I think that Eva is overrated, as in I have seen tons of better anime (objectively and subjectively), but still very good.
>>
>>135637038
He used it correctly
>>
>>135636789
It's from a different culture, that makes such things stand out harsher. I'm a normie, I expect more from anime than I do from art that has memes and cultural cues I fully understand. It has to be so good I no longer mind all the Japanese-ness, I guess.

Planetes did that well, for example.
>>135636711
I'll probably watch it in full at some point, but it's not in my top shelf.

That's what this thread was all about, how this was supposed to be a god-tier thing. I just don't think it is, will still enjoy it some.
>>
>>135637036
Do you have any reasoning for that claim?
>>
>>135636951
All you need to know is that people who heavily identify with Shinji browse this board.
Its also a lot of people's first 2deep4u
>>
>>135637044
>I think that Eva is overrated, as in I have seen tons of better anime (objectively and subjectively)
Let me guess some entry-level crap like Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>135636920
Okay, but let you ask you this: if NGE was groundbreaking, which series managed to do it better since?

It would be odd if in what, 20 years, no-one could do it better.
>>
>>135636749
Still, it was generic and inferior compared to other similar scenes in the show.
Kid Misato seeing her father save her and give her the cross, Kid Shinji being abandoned by Gendo, were both very very good scenes.
Asuka's just doesn't compare, it seems try hard.
>>
>>135636801
Because if you take away the high stakes and pressure it will seem even more pretentious.
NGE and it's fucked up characters work because of the extrem situation they are in. Take away the Mecha element and the fight for humanities survival and it will be like SAO, a bunch of retards taking unimportant stuff far to serious.

Also the fights provide action making it more entertaining and less dry.

>>135637152
Good argument.

>>135637133
True but that doesn't mean NGE doesn't deserve it's praise.

>>135637178
TTGL, best super robot show.
>>
>>135636998
Ni, I mean, have an actual current day type child soldier. Set it in a fictional Japan-cum-Korea in some alternate timeline or something.

Though I suppose real war like that is still a bit traumatic for the Japanese.
>>
>>135636920
*slow clap* and this makes it a good series? surely you jest
>>
>>135636383
>Eva relies on cliche

I love the show, but it actually does a tad. It subverts cliches, but it dabbles in them just as much. Take an objective look at Asuka's character for one thing.

>>135636920
>it incorporates internal conflict into mecha.

Are you joking?
>>
it's boring as fuck

I remember being 14 episodes in and it was still

>new angel comes
> Shinji! We need your help!
> Shinji is a pussy, and the other two girls are just tropes
>use some science/military plan that Misato comes up with to defeat angel
>some blaringly empty psychological drivel at the end of the episode

It did that for 14 fucking episodes without any other developments. You learned that Misato's dad died during the first big even thing. That's it. I got bored and gave up on the whole thing.
>>
>>135637068
No he didn't. A fanbase praising an already successful and popular product constantly is not shilling.
>>
File: 1389290295582.jpg (1 MB, 2400x2890) Image search: [Google]
1389290295582.jpg
1 MB, 2400x2890
>>135637178
>It would be odd if in what, 20 years, no-one could do it better.

Nobody did it better then animation industry is still under the "curse of Evangelion"

Bunch of people in this thread don't seem to grasp what a cultural phenomenon Evangelion was in Japan
>>
>>135637152
No, Cowboy Bebop is on par with Eva in my mind--good but overrated.
>>
File: 1451318092469.png (51 KB, 224x400) Image search: [Google]
1451318092469.png
51 KB, 224x400
>>135637288
What about the characters phychology, the music or the designs?

Also
>dropping NGE
>>
>>135637288

Shinji becoming more confident and expressive (he stops complaining after episode 6 after interaction with Rei and doesn't really do it once until ten episodes later), then regressing to piloting Eva for his father's approval, Misato becoming more disillusioned with NERV and less complacent, fleshing out Ritsuko's character, Rei's character development, introduction of Asuka that changes the tone of the series, and so on.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>135637216
Maybe it's enjoyable if I just look at it like that, I'll give it a try, and have bookmarked the recommendation.
>>
>>135637435
If it's not interesting after 14 episodes, I'm not gonna watch the other 12 or whatever. At that point you're disqualified.

Characters:
Shinji: annoying as fuck to watch hes a giant pussy and everyone here has already talked about his flaws
Rei and Asuka: Waifu flavors (one is a bitch who is loud and obnoxious, and one is a bitch who is unfeeling). Neither are likeable
Scientist chick: Cunt to everyone
Misato's ex: Kind of a weirdo but whatever
Misato: Only good character
Shinjis dad: walking stereotype of a dickhead dad that for some reason Rei likes but they never touched on in 14 EPISODES

Music: Opening is good, nothing else was that stand=out
The psychology: Makes no sense, as does most of japanese translated stuff that they try to play off as deep. All I ever saw was a bunch of visuals.

The designs: EVAs look sweet, other than that not much is remarkable.

Not enough to make me finish it
>>
>>135637606
>not listing Pen Pen in that list
>>
>>135637090
Yeah. Outside of design, the characters aren't very interesting. Shinji is extremely unlikeable, and hurts my interest in the series when the protagonist is annoying and a genuinely bad character. There are too many plot holes too, which might not be a big deal to some but it is to me.
>>
>>135637606
>they never touched on in 14 EPISODES

Episode 5. They even repeat a monologue at the end in case there was idiots watching.

>>135637663

One of the worst parts of the series. Eva is rarely funny and Pen Pen is never funny.
>>
>>135637216
>TTGL, best super robot show.
Not only are TTGL and Eva completely different, TTGL isn't even good.
>>
>>135634967
forced symbolism forced dialogue and trash character development
>>
>>135637706
>There are too many plot holes too
There is 1, which is mostly the fault of Anno's depression
>>
>>135637606
I had the exact same feeling after eight episodes. So this is really all the characters were about?
>>
>>135637706
Please list the alleged plot holes.
>>
>>135637706

List them then. For a series with as much babble as Eva it has surprisingly few plot holes.
>>
File: 1411257981379.jpg (76 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
1411257981379.jpg
76 KB, 640x852
Eva is a litmus test

If you don't like it you shouldn't bother watching anime at all.
>>
>>135637873
That's not true.

They should just stick to the better ones 's all
>>
>>135637606
>Shinji: annoying as fuck to watch hes a giant pussy and everyone here has already talked about his flaws
He still has more left. He's also a judgmental little prick.
>>
>>135637873
I know I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this but Eva really wasn't as good as OP. It's basically just super pretentious and relies too much on pointless symbolism to carry it's nonexistent story. I hear a lot of people talk endlessly about some deep lore that exists in the Eva universe but I saw none of that while watching.

Meanwhile a completely unassuming show like One Piece delivers on every front where Evangelion fails, despite of or maybe even due to its accessibility. If anything, One Piece is a litmus test for anime as a whole while Evangelion is more like an age test. It'll appeal to a very specific, sci-fi demographic of anime fan that simply doesn't exist anymore while One Piece is generally the better anime and has a very wide appeal.
>>
>>135637733
she slaps Shinji when shinji says hes a shit person, and then she remembered how he opened the hatch to save her

>this passes for development
>this passes for a story

This is shit. The whole series is shit.
>>
>>135637706
>Shinji is extremely unlikeable, and hurts my interest in the series when the protagonist is annoying and a genuinely bad character.
This post was so pleb it hurts,

Name two. That's probably easy since there are so many.
>>
>>135638057
>accessible
>One Piece
>723 episodes to date
that's actually pretty fucking scary, not accessible
>>
File: 1406737991238.jpg (405 KB, 1138x640) Image search: [Google]
1406737991238.jpg
405 KB, 1138x640
>>135638057
>It'll appeal to a very specific, sci-fi demographic of anime fan that simply doesn't exist anymore
Are you high or something?
>>
>>135637764
>1
You can't be serious
>>
>>135637520
Good to hear.
Imo it's also really important not to go into NGE expecting the best anime evaaar everyone and their mom has been taking about.

>>135637606
You just don't get it.
Ok, memes aside.
You seem to misunderstand what NGE is about. In the first place it's a drama, the action is not supposed to be the focuse, it's there to provide superficial entertainment and conflict.
Shinji is weak, but that doesn't make him a bad character. NGE is a coming of age story and it's about Shinji being confronted with a harsh reality. What do you understand about him?
Rei and Asuka are not just waifu bait. The anime that came after NGE took and simplified them to stereotypes.
Scientist chick is a fucking side character and she's not a cunt she's doing her job in case you didn't understand that. She gets more focus later on.
How is Gendo a stereotype? Aside from the, "father of mc is important military guy" I don't see it. 14 episodes, so what, that's half the anime of course there's some stuff left open.

Your citisicm is pretty stupid and superficial.
At least finish it. You seem like the kind of person who's mad he didn't get the masterpiece everyone promised him at the start.

>>135637663
>implying Pen² wasn't the best character

>>135637733
PenPen wasn't supposed to be funny.
>>
>>135638057

dogshit opinions like this one really throw me off

is this even /a/ anymore?
>>
>>135638118
SEELE itself is multiple plot holes
>>
>>135638194
Waiting for that plot-hole list bro
>>
>>135638057
I would call this bait but you seem very genuine.
>>
Instead of that, why don't you tell us why we should like it?
>>
I think the only ones who really like it are those who relate to Shinji.
>>
>>135638273
And how is it a plot hole? Are you gonna dance all day around the question or actually explain how Eva has a billion plot holes?
>>
It's no where near as deep or even as serious as it presents itself. And both the show ending and EOE are just atrociously put together. Shock imagery for the sake of shock imagery, no rhyme or reason for any of it and they intentionally try to confuse viewers with their hour long speeches about human nature.
>>
>>135638209
I don't care that it wasn't a masterpiece

I cared that it was 14 episodes of boringness

I kept thinking, oh, maybe I'll learn more about the Angels

Oh, maybe one of the characters will change and be interesting

Oh maybe there will be a real giant robot fight

but more than halfway into the series and there are only faint glimmers. sorry I don't have time to waste I'll watch something that starts sooner and easier
>>
>>135638142
The way One Piece is written is meant to invite new fans of all ages. You can start reading it at any point and it is instantly a satisfying experience, then you can go back to the beginning when it's convenient to further enrich the story and your appreciation for the characters' journey. It's only completionist obsessed 'nerds' that feel 'intimidated'.

>>135638154
The problem is that your experience of the anime fandom is probably extremely insular. Once you leave the more toxic, circle jerking communities you will see just how insignificant and dated the sci-fi anime fandom has become.

>>135638211
>>135638286
While I hesitate to call my opinion a fact, as all opinions regardless of how any other individuals feel indeed have a great deal of merit, I'm not seeing anything factual wrong with what I'm saying. One Piece is the future of anime while the neo-otaku wave of Evangelion fans is the past, and that's GOOD thing.
>>
>>135638057
That's neo/a/, folks.
>>
Eva has a bunch of legitimate flaws like bludgeoning you over the head with a point when it's already clear (it's remarkably subtle at times despite that), but people weaned on anime don't see them as such since they watch absolute schlock, turning to alleged plot holes, "Shinji's a pussy" or lack of progression, and just don't pay attention enough to gleam character development that's made apparent through dialogue. Eva is likely the best TV anime ever.

>>135638057

Nonsense. Anyone caught up in the "lore" of NGE is an idiot.

>>135638065
>she remembered how he opened the hatch to save her

It wasn't forgotten, you simpleton.

She remembers Gendo saving her because it's similar to Shinji's worry. Despite being friendly with Gendo, Rei doesn't entirely understand her own feelings and that's why she didn't know what to do in the situation. When Shinji suggests smiling, she recalls Gendo saving her and does so. She begins to question her attachment to Gendo later on and her role as an EVA pilot. We're made of her relationship with Gendo, her feelings about piloting EVA (which influences Shinji and helps him "man up"), seemingly lack of humanity and lack of fear of death. These are things we had no clue about before episode 5.

>>135638354
>Shock imagery for the sake of shock imagery, no rhyme or reason for any of it and they intentionally try to confuse viewers with their hour long speeches about human nature.

Bullshit. If Eva confused you, consider finishing high school level.
>>
File: 1449595672589.jpg (19 KB, 369x365) Image search: [Google]
1449595672589.jpg
19 KB, 369x365
>>135638375
>The problem is that your experience of the anime fandom is probably extremely insular.
No your problem is that you are some facebook retard that doesn't know Sunrise is arguably the biggest, certainly most profitable studio in the industry and it lives off mecha anime
>>
>>135638057
Okay, this was decent bait. I chuckled
>>
>>135638436
>Nonsense. Anyone caught up in the "lore" of NGE is an idiot.
I hesitate to put those kinds of labels on anyone. Calling someone an idiot is an easy way to dismiss what they are saying without due consideration.

>>135638472
Anime in general is not a big profit industry. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sunrise does well because their shows are primarily meant to advertise their toys, no? Pokemon has a very similar business model. I'm not sure it's correct to use a show's profit margins as an indication of its appeal, especially when it aims for such a narrow and fanatical base of viewers.
>>
People are weird.
People wont watch anime because a characters hair color is green.
Eva either takes itself to seriously or not seriously enough.
You'll never make sense of this.
>>
>>135638057
NGE is like Dark Souls.
It doesn's directly tell you the story, you have to play attention and think about it yourself.
It's like poetry. At first you don't understand why Shinji understand why Shinji sees a crazy Rei when he's inside of Unit 00 but when you finish EoE and learn that there are souls inside the Evas and that Rei is a clone and has an artificial soul it makes sense and is intelectually more challenging then One Piece could ever be.

>>135638370
Honestly, just finish the damn thing.
You say you want to learn more and get answers but drop it after 14 episodes, how stupid is that.
Of course they aren't going to answer it early on. And they won't answer in directly, but just dropping it is the opposite of what you want.

Any form of criticism you have against Eva is invalid by the fact that you haven't finished it.

And if you have finished NGE and watched End of Evangelion you can come back to /a/.
>>
>>135638713
>there are souls inside the Evas

This is made apparent in episode 16 or even 14. You would have to be not paying attention or an extremely passive watcher.
>>
>>135638664
>Anime in general is not a big profit industry. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sunrise does well because their shows are primarily meant to advertise their toys, no

No, the bulk of gunpla sales goes to Bandai

Sunrise lives off it's BD sales

Let me ask you this. How many mecha shows do you generally see in any given season?

Oh now tell me how many "pirate" shows you have seen in the past 10 years
>>
>>135637606
These are probably the worst descriptions of their characterization I've ever seen. It's like you haven't even watched it and you're describing them based on what you've learned from /a/; especially considering you describe Asuka and Rei as "waifu flavor".

This is proof that the worst kind of person that hates Eva is the kind that barely pays attention to it, drops it halfway and then shitposts on /a/ pretending to understand its flaws. At least the people who actually finished it and disliked it TRY to fucking understand what was happening and can actually make some valid points about why they didn't like it and its characters.

Considering that you're a complete fucking idiot, I'm not even going to bother say you should finished watching. You're going to have this shitty mindset the entire time and completely misinterpret the meaning of every single character with some meaningless, superficial description anyway.
>>
>>135638713
>It's like poetry
It rhymes?

Saying things like that in praise of a work makes it very hard to take you seriously.
>>
>>135638275
Not him but the German girl (and pilot of unit 2) is much older than 14, even though the pilots supposedly were required to be 14 (is said so in the 1st episode), she has graduated high-school and her government handler seems to have no issues about her sexually coming onto him (showing that she is much older than 14). Also, in her flashbacks to when her mother has gone insane, both her mother and herself are speaking Japanese even though she is living in Germany.
>>
>>135638713
>NGE is like Dark Souls.
>It doesn's directly tell you the story, you have to play attention and think about it yourself.
Another reason why it acts as a very poor litmus test for anime as a whole. It's needlessly obtuse with very little pay off. It's like Star Trek fans memorizing the schematics for The Starship Enterprise then figuring out the maximum speed of a turbolift. I imagine doing that would be very hard, maybe even an intellectual challenge, but it should be completely necessary for appreciating the show.

>>135638838
The sales of physical media was really just a tiny blip in the history entertainment media. We are very quickly leaving that kind of niche behind, and as anime media modernizes it will become irrelevant. Streaming media with advertisement and merchandise was the past and it is quickly becoming the present.
>>
File: failure.jpg (53 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
failure.jpg
53 KB, 512x512
>>135637288
>not watching NGE till the end
>missing the most important part of the whole series
>>
>>135638924
>the German girl (and pilot of unit 2) is much older than 14

She's actually 13, closing in on 14.
>>
>>135638924
>Not him but the German girl (and pilot of unit 2) is much older than 14

No she isn't, you are literally making up some batshit conjecture although the series explicitly debunks you
>>
>>135638999
>>135638980
[citation needed]
>>
Mechs on a cord is just stupid
>>
>>135638924
You know she's a a genius, right?

> both her mother and herself are speaking Japanese even though she is living in Germany.
And there are a ton of series that take place outside of Japan having different people speak Japanese. This sounds like bait at this point.
>>
File: 1431370984613.jpg (76 KB, 480x622) Image search: [Google]
1431370984613.jpg
76 KB, 480x622
>>135638947
>Bla bla bla I was wrong and I'm a retard but sometime in the future One Piece will be more popular and mecha will die out

Yeah ok
>>
>>135638314
NGE is so mediocre that the fanboys can't tell me why it's GOOD 20 minutes later. Case closed.
>>
>>135638947
>It's needlessly obtuse

If you're a moron, yes. Not really a fault of the show. If anything, Eva is unsubtle on many, many occasions and to the detriment of the show. Nowhere near as bad as the majority of anime, though.
>>
>>135638947
The main thrust of the story is relatively simple. All the little stuff is interesting but my no means vital to understanding the story.
>>
>>135639065
One Piece is already more popular, I think it's the most selling franchise in the history of anime. I'm not sure why you are attacking me and not my ideas, that kind of discussion really isn't constructive at all.

>>135639124
>>135639173
How is it not needlessly obtuse? They needed to make an entire movie just to tie up some loose plot ends.
>>
>>135634967
I attempted to watch, but it was very awful to me. The OVERLY hard attempt at being artistic/symbolic by using mainstream biblical elements was very bland to me. Main character is an insufferable cry baby, his superior was a very shallow character.

I just couldn't go on, I literally couldn't.
>>
>>135639089
No one has said why it's bad other than "I don't like it"
>>
>>135639036
Japan heavy chemical industries please go
>>
>>135639189
>I'm not sure why you are attacking me and not my ideas, that kind of discussion really isn't constructive at all.

Because you are using wild conjecture and pulling shit out of your ass, both of which are not an argument.

One Piece is selling, that is true. But it's a oddball and not the norm. Again simply go through the past few season then count the amount of mecha anime being produced versus the amount of "pirate" anime being produced.
>>
evangelion is one of the most boring shows I've every watched
>>
File: foreshadowing.png (326 KB, 720x547) Image search: [Google]
foreshadowing.png
326 KB, 720x547
>>135638833
Haven't watched NGE in a while but holy shit you are right, Yui literally appears in front of Shinji in episode 16. Stuff like pic related is why NGE is amazing.

>>135638924
Asuka is actually 13 when she first appears.
She graduated high-school because she's extremly good at school. In the Magma Diver episode she tells Shinji about thermal expansion and shit. Her grades suck when she's in japan because of muh stupid Kanjis though.

Kaiji is just that cool.

>>135638947
You can appreciate NGE without overanalyzing it though. It's a fight for the survival of mankind, kids in japan love it. Have you seen those videos where Anno teaches children about animation and they all love NGE?
And art being challenging isn't a bad thing. Maybe you just view anime as entertainment and use it as escapism but then you missed the point of NGE. It's both a mature and deep (feels like a buzzword, fuck you guys) story but also a cool action robot show.
>>
>>135639189
>They needed

They didn't need to do shit, actually. This has no relation to the series being obtuse, too.

>>135639221

Both Shinji and Misato are nearly 3-dimensional characters by the end of the first episode.
>>
>>135639189
They made the movie because they ran out of money and couldn't bring the original vision of the finale to life with the resources they had as they were finishing the series. So the compromised and decided to close the characters and not really worry too much about the events.
>>
>>135638966
>must spend 13 or so hours to watch the show when the first 8 didn't appeal to me

Is your time that unimportant? Usually with good anime its apparent by episode 3 or 4 why I would like it

I hate this mentality of "Oh it GETS GOOD LATER JUST FINISH IT". That's a lot of time for just te possibility of reward. Good shows/games know how to capture people early. The hallmark of bad writing is having bad openings
>>
>>135639089
God tier direction and animation, compelling and effective characters, incredible soundtrack, good writing. Are you happy?
>>
>>135636462
I'm a believer and that's most of the part why I couldn't stand Evangelion. The whole concept of taking biblical names and themes and just randomly inserting them everywhere in an attempt to be artistic has been done to death. None of the correlations worked, none of them were fun or interesting.
>>
>>135639371
>The hallmark of bad writing is having bad openings
NGE had a stellar opening

If you didn't get hooked on the mysteries presented in the first few episodes then I don't know what to tell you

The faceplate falling off Eva01 in the 2nd episode is enough for most people to become curious where the show is going
>>
File: Shinji's eyes.webm (3 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shinji's eyes.webm
3 MB, 1440x1080
>>135639221
Don't get hung up over the religious imagery.
Also it's a drama Shinji has to be weak.

There is also symbolism beyond the bible references, like glasses.
And it's quiet subtle at times.

>>135639371
Don't be such a fag you have watched anime that's much worse.
>>
I'll probably watch it again sonetimes because the fanboys are so militant about it. The first time I was really fucking bored, I got the basics of what was goung on but I felt no reason to give a fuck.
>>
>>135639273
It would be helpful if you stopped trying to classify One Piece as a 'pirate' show like 'pirate' is a genre and not a setting. One Piece is better categorized as a shonen, or fight manga, or adventure story. It's also amusing how you are trying to argue that One Piece isn't one of the biggest anime of all time? It certainly eclipses Evangelion at this point.

>>135639302
Without any extended analysis Evangelion just falls on its face. As a monster of the week robot show it's boring and the fights feel low budget at best. The only reason why it gets any attention is that people insist it's somehow a deep or psychological show, which it can be if you as a viewer fill in all the gaping holes the creators (either intentionally or unintentionally) left out. Either way it is not the sort of thing a good, let alone competent show, would do.

>>135639308
Are you really an Eva fan or are you just ignorant to the history of the show?

>>135639327
Exactly.
>>
>>135639416
All opinions. Give me facts.
>>
>>135639549
God tier direction and animation, compelling and effective characters, incredible soundtrack, good writing.

Are you happy now?
>>
>>135639456
see >>135639503 and >>135639302
Just because it takes biblic names and such doesn't mean it's autimaticly shit.
It has a messenge about human interaction and escapism.
>>
>>135639518
Don't bother wasting your time. Eva is basically only worth watching so you can have more to back up your internet arguments. As a show it's really pretty mediocre and propped up by kids that watched the show as teenagers and idiots memeing about rei vs asuka.
>>
File: 10958256.jpg (61 KB, 617x700) Image search: [Google]
10958256.jpg
61 KB, 617x700
>>135639308
>3D characters
I think this is the first time I've heard someone phrase it like this
>>
>>135639485
I think NGE opens up a bit too hot. You're thrust into a very emotional situation without much contact with the main character. He breaks down weeping very quickly and I can see why someone would be put off by it. I was the first time I watched it.
That said, I've come around on it somewhat on rewatchs. There's a lot that's done really well in that episode too.
>>
>>135639456
Eva universe is inclusive. the concept isn't place random thing here..They're not references but used to build a narrative.
>>
>>135639524
>Are you really an Eva fan or are you just ignorant to the history of the show

I just realized I was speaking to a fool. The psychology of the characters was the narrative thrust in Eva.

>people insist it's somehow a deep or psychological show, which it can be if you as a viewer fill in all the gaping holes the creators (either intentionally or unintentionally) left out

You're like a caricature. There is a deliberate focus, narrative wise and atheistically.
>>
>>135639048
>You know she's a a genius, right?
She sure doesn't act like one.
>>
>>135639549
Facts? Alright. It's one of the most popular anime series ever made and it's influence is fucking everywhere. That's not why it's good though.
>>
>>135634967
>Meme tier arguments aside
Just about every argument in this thread has been meme tier. Good work guys
>>
>>135639709
Nice shitpost. Really added to the thread, there.
>>
>>135639524
>One Piece isn't one of the biggest anime of all time? It certainly eclipses Evangelion at this point.
Becuase it's not?

It's one of the biggest manga of all time but the anime is mostly regarded as garbage

>One Piece is better categorized as a shonen, or fight manga, or adventure story.
If you want to go down that road, the most prolific new "shonen" on the block is Toriko and that apes off DBZ, not One Piece

One Piece failed to materialize and real trend in the industry, hell Madoka or Code Geass had more of an impact. There was no renaissance of adventure anime, nor do any signs point to there being one.
>>
>>135639709
Book smarts I guess.
>>
>>135635660
I think by calling Eva "generic" you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the body of anime as a whole, and looking backwards from today at it since anything that wasn't trying to be generic just copied Eva for the last 20 years. OR you're one of these modern educations fuckwits who grossly over exaggerates everything you say to sound more serious or impactful.

It certainly wasn't original, even compared to just Anno's other works, but calling Eva "generic" is just plain stupid.
>>
>There are people here who don't like Eva.

Could this be the new pleb /a/ everyone is talking about?
>>
>>135638924
I found a plot hole
How come if Asuka graduated from college, she still has to go to this school in Japan? That's dumb.
Unless she was lying about her degree.
>>
>>135635125

Are you aware that it is all meant to be a criticism to otakus? it really falls through if you try to analyze it on a more general term
>>
>>135639809
She doesn't know Japanese completely.
>>
>>135639681
I don't like making assumptions about people but maybe you've been watching too much bad anime? Having very basic character interactions is just something fundamental to any narrative, it doesn't somehow make the shows focus psychological.

Go read any Dostoevsky novel, if might blow your mind. I bet he could convince you he was a psychologist with all the character interaction he writes.

>>135639730
Toriko has never and will never reach the heights of One Piece which has even surpassed DBZ, at least in the Japanese market. Globally who knows, I hear South Americans are still pretty crazy about DBZ.

Madok and Code Geass are extremely niche otaku shows, moreso even than Evangelion, to even make the comparison just shows your limited perspective. It's borderline delusional.
>>
>>135639809
>How come if Asuka graduated from college, she still has to go to this school in Japan?

1. Different curriculum
2. The school is a controlled environment to monitor the pilots

Are you thinking up these questions as you read the plot-synopsis for the show of a wiki?
>>
>>135639710
At least be more subtle with that bait anon
>>
>>135639524
>As a monster of the week robot show it's boring and the fights feel low budget at best.

You are literally retarded.
The animation is fine and in some point, especially in the fights really good.
The angels are quite memorable and the desings of the Evas are amazing.
People always say Eva was shit visuel wise, just because they used some still shots. But even those were well placed and made the scenes more meaningful.

End of Evangelion is fucking amazing visually.
>>
I liked it, character development could've been better. Would've loved to see some stronger feelings develop between shitji and Asuka. Also the second half of the tv series is much more interesting because it doesn't only include them fighting angels which there should've been less of imo.
>>
/a/ are edgy children who must hate what is popular, don't take this place seriously
>>
>>135639858

>Go read any Dostoevsky novel, if might blow your mind.

Go fuck yourself.

>it doesn't somehow make the shows focus psychological.

Except it is. You can't offer even offer an actual point.
>>
File: Asukafags cucked.gif (1021 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Asukafags cucked.gif
1021 KB, 500x375
Why didn't Asuka rape Kaji?
>>
>>135639858
>shows your limited perspective. It's borderline delusional.
Nah it just shows you think your facebook feed is indicative of where the industry is going

Post Madoka, Precure got big and even Sailormoon got a new adaptation, not to mention there was a new mini grimdark age.

Code Geass basically kicked off the UC Gundam revival (which at that point was mostly AU) and promted a bunch of copy-cats

What did One Piece lead to? Because as I said the new prominent "shonen" (that was supposed to replace Naruto) was Toriko and that apes DBZ
>>
File: 1408948958051.jpg (15 KB, 251x275) Image search: [Google]
1408948958051.jpg
15 KB, 251x275
"Nobody is allowed to have differing opinions, everyone must like Eva." - /a/
>>
>>135639987
and take themselves too seriously
>>
>>135640062
Why do you still post?
>>
What were some highlights of the show?
>>
>>135640185
The last two episodes.
>>
>>135639923
It has some very iconic and effective cinematography but nothing that isn't simply by-the-book. The animation itself uses typical anime shortcuts that are very glaring and obvious if you watched it without subtitles. The designs are nice, I can grant you that, but that's hardly enough to support an entire show.

>>135640014
I see you would rather insult me than see reason or even offer your own. You strike me as exactly the kind of person that watches Evangelion while sympathizing with Shinji and blanketly claims it as the greatest anime ever without a hint of introspection, then proceeds to watch the moe anime of the season without a hint of irony.

>>135640085
And let me guess, you started posting on /a/ in 2007/2008? You keep using this kind of facebook finger pointing while constantly revealing the narrowness of your own perspective.
>>
File: 1442974668867.jpg (226 KB, 560x577) Image search: [Google]
1442974668867.jpg
226 KB, 560x577
>>135640115
Didn't this board have "Komm, süßer Tod" playing in the background as Instrumentality crosses were flying over the place in a loop a few days ago?

/a/ is tied to NGE, you can't have one without the other
>>
>>135640205
>while constantly revealing the narrowness of your own perspective.

You keep failing to produce a single instance of a trend in the industry that was created by One Piece
>>
>>135640115
No it's more like, "Nobody is allowed to have shitty opinions, everyone must like Eva."
>>
File: Asuka gets tanged by Kaji.png (1 MB, 1452x1050) Image search: [Google]
Asuka gets tanged by Kaji.png
1 MB, 1452x1050
>>135640174
Because Asuka and Kaji belong together
>>
>>135640225
/sp/ had a sticky when CM Punk blew out McMahon on national TV. Wrestling is now banished to /asp/. The mods are bipolar.
>>
>>135640185
The scene where Asuka pretends she's getting raped to get Kaji's attention
>>
>>
>>135640310
>>135640382
Don't you have a /c/ thread to be butthurt in, Reifag? Or some filenames to change up so anons don't keep finding how many times you've posted them?
>>
>>135640267
Why are you so obsessed with industry, when the industry you are referring to is so small? At this point One Piece transcends industry, the power of its franchise and the quality and universality of its narrative reach far beyond anime otaku. School children, business men, and stay at home mothers alike buy, watch, and read One Piece every single week. To even think that a show like Madoka has anywhere close to that level of reach or influence is laughable. You're talking about sewage runoff causing ocean rise when entire continents of ice are dissolving. It's madness.
>>
File: EVA3.jpg (748 KB, 1520x2660) Image search: [Google]
EVA3.jpg
748 KB, 1520x2660
>>135640185
>>
>>135640397
I'm assuming that's a review for Evangelion 2.0, in which case he's completely correct.
>>
>>135640310
manga isn't canon friendo
>>
Evangelion is like Man of Steel: it's pretty to look at, but there's nothing underneath the hood.
>>
File: 1399484489531.jpg (28 KB, 450x283) Image search: [Google]
1399484489531.jpg
28 KB, 450x283
>>135640442
>the power of its franchise and the quality and universality of its narrative reach far beyond anime otaku

Then show me the power of the franchise. What did it accomplish?

Because I can show you shit like this
>>
>>135640476
Says who?
>>
>>135640498
You forgot the copious edge.
>>
>>135640537
The fact that it contradicts the anime in several places?
>>
>>135640526
Red Oni/Blue Oni secondary characters was a mistake.
>>
>>135640205
>without a hint of introspection

Except I've criticized Eva a number of times in this very thread. You've failed to actually offer anything in the way of an argument. Self-aggrandizing reference to Dostoevsky while displaying base knowledge of storytelling is something else entirely.
>>
File: 1440556357996.webm (3 MB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1440556357996.webm
3 MB, 704x480
>>135640115
>hur dur Shinji is a pussy and everything is just pretentious and clique

Do you want those people browsing here?

Anyways, there is nothing wrong with dislinking Eva as long as you understand the show and why people like it and see the good point about it.

>>135640205
>but that's hardly enough to support an entire show.

That's why it has well written characters, great music that uses very well and an interesting story. There is symbolism that supports the shows themes and it's often pretty subtle even if it doesn't look that ways.
It actually makes a point and isn't just brainless entertainment.

It's also great sci-fi.
>>
>>135640526
It is the single reason why Shueisha exists. If you want proof, go read their quarterly earnings reports.
>>
File: cucked.png (203 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cucked.png
203 KB, 500x375
>>135640426
The only one butthurt is Asuka after Kaji is done with her.
>>
>>135640600
>It is the single reason why Shueisha exists
Yeah it sells I know that

But what trends did it spur on in the industry or wider? None.
>>
>>135640640
How about you do yourself in? All you do is post the same bait images. Just kill yourself like Rei does.
>>
>>135640576
How?
>>
>>135640600
I had no idea Eva was 90 years old.
>>
>>135640526
Didn't japan shoot a mini Lance Of Longinus to the moon last year (>tfw it's not 2015 anymore)?

>>135640498
B-But muh psychology and escapism.
>>
File: 1371514565272.jpg (107 KB, 480x730) Image search: [Google]
1371514565272.jpg
107 KB, 480x730
>>135640640
We talking about getting cucked, eh Reifriend?
>>
Evangelion is otaku pandering trash. Anyone who has seen superior 80s anime knows it is bad.
>>
File: doll.jpg (17 KB, 939x704) Image search: [Google]
doll.jpg
17 KB, 939x704
>>135640688
The only one who kills herself is Asuka the doll.
>>
>>135640699
Apart from changing the number of Angels, the way they are dealt with, how EoE unfolds?

Well for one it changes both Asuka's origin story and Kaji and Misato's break-up
>>
>>135640772
What is Kentucky Fried Rei? Asuka never actually goes through with it.
>>
File: asuka is so pretty xD.png (778 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
asuka is so pretty xD.png
778 KB, 853x480
>>135640735
>pulling someone out of a crowd is getting cucked
So desperate.
Let's talk about how Asuka masturbates to Kaji breaking her ass every night like the impure slut she is.
>>
>>135640590
People call Evangelion a sci-fi show for the sake of convenience but it is about as sci-fi as Star Wars. You say the characters are well written but by the standards of any other kind of fiction it's just standard fare, and I hate to keep hammering the same point over and over again but the symbolism is not only obtuse but adds nothing to the show unless you are a lore nerd.

>>135640588
I was talking about introspection into your own character. I'm sorry you misunderstood.

>>135640643
>>135640718
I cannot believe you can be so dense, it must be deliberate. What do you think would happen if Shueisha disappeared? What do you think is the message explicitly passed down through the editors to the creators of all their properties? Please, if you aren't willing to use your brains a little bit say so in your comments so I don't bother replying to you in the future.
>>
>>135640772
No I'm pretty sure somebody else blows up her own Eva, killing herself in the process
>>
>>135640847
>you will never be as mad as this ass-shattered Reifag like Rei's asshole after a long Gendong
>you will never be a Reifag
Feels good man.
>>
>>135640462
You could just check. It's not for 2.0, but for 1.0.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eva-10-you-are-not-alone-neon-genesis-evangelion-rebuild-of-evangelion-01/

2.0 is the top rated EVA movie. 1.0 and 2.0 are listed as "fresh".

However, 3.0 is 25% fresh, in other words, rotten.
>>
>>135640800
Just because it's different in some places doesn't mean it's not canon.
It's considered official everywhere.
>>
>>135640906
official =/= canon
>>
File: implying_she_can_ever_win.jpg (798 KB, 1320x2032) Image search: [Google]
implying_she_can_ever_win.jpg
798 KB, 1320x2032
>>135640847
>cucked so hard you get erased from existence

Must be hard being a Reifag, ain't it?
>>
The world is trumbling down.
>>
File: rekt.jpg (29 KB, 473x270) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
29 KB, 473x270
>>135640837
Asuka wanted to die in that period filled bathtub, but was such a fucking failure she couldn't even accomplish that either.
Can't this broad do anything right?

>>135640877
And ends up killing the angel and saving everyone.
When Asuka dies, she doesn't do anything but be pathetic.
>>
>>135640906
Yeah sure it's an alternative universe, but it's not something you can use to fill in the gaps from EoE and the TV series
>>
>>135640876
>What do you think would happen if Shueisha disappeared?
A new publisher would fill the gap?

If keeping Shueisha alive is OP's big legacy, then that's kinda pathetic
>>
>>135640942
Rei already won.
She's an objectively superior character and more popular than Mansuka ever was.

>>135641000
It's the same case with Rebuild, but Rebuild is still canon.
>>
>>135641038
If you aren't willing to use your brains a little bit say so in your comments so I don't bother replying to you in the future. I believe I said this before.
>>
>>135640982
She never acted on it, so it couldn't be a failure.

>period
It's never confirmed what it is, whether it be rust or whatever else. Of course, you're just trying to bait.

>>135641045
That's why Reifags are throwing fits over her recent loss in popularity right? Rei is for pseudo-intellectual 8ch shits like yourself.
>>
File: 1367494752760.jpg (230 KB, 1920x814) Image search: [Google]
1367494752760.jpg
230 KB, 1920x814
>>135640982
The cucking it never stops does it?

From universe to universe, Rei Ayanami, the etenral cuck.
>>
>>135640876
You literally said, and I quote, "It's the single reason why Shueisha exists."

Shueisha has existed since 1925, officially formed in 1949. That makes it, at the youngest, 66 years old. Evangelion is 20 years old now. There's a 46 year gap between Evangelion's original air date and the formation of Shueisha. Perhaps YOU should be the one to think about what they're typing before actually doing so.
>>
>>135639923
Y'know, I recently rewatched the series, EoE and Rebuilds 1-2-3.
I maintain that Evangelion is an example of animation and design at its finest.
>>
>>135641117
Are you just having a laugh or is this kind of semantic pedantry what passes for discussion on /a/ these days? I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt but who can even know anymore.
>>
File: 1446953000703.jpg (161 KB, 914x749) Image search: [Google]
1446953000703.jpg
161 KB, 914x749
>>135634967
>why there are people who genuinelly think Evangelion is a bad series?

You just have to come to terms that people are stupid and have shit taste. I'm not even joking. This isn't the case of some people not liking it, which is fine. This is a case where some people just can't see its merits and over blow the shortcomings. Evangelion touched on some many things that it still impresses me whenever I go back and reacquaint myself with it. So that leaves one of two options: People are literally too stupid or not well versed in what NGE was talking about and so it comes over as garbage to them or they are willfully being asshts because they have shit taste. We just have to deal with it.
>>
>>135640893
Asuka is the only one getting fucked.
>>
>>135641117

You're talking to a moron with an inflated sense of self-importance. Don't expect much.
>>
>>135640982
This really.

Asuka killing herself or at least trying to serves no point but to end her own existence.

Rei knows she's able to die and incur a replacement, and she has no alternative at that point, she does nothing and everyone dies. She kills herself + the angel, and everyone lives. Even Rei after some resurrection scheme.

Rei is more cool-headed than Asuka and can make those tough, calm calls.
>>
>>135641246
Enjoy the ban, again.
>b-but Fireposter was banned!
Cry more. Asuakfags aren't mad enough to save spiteshit like you. Rei is the one who'd go for niggers because she doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>135641096
The doujin where Shinji calls this film out on being bullshit and then goes and fucks KurRei was gold.
>>
>>135641117
I thikn you are confusing a few anons here

The One Piece guy is saying One Piece is the single reason Sueisha exists, the NGE guy is asking him what One Piece did that changed the anime/manga industry and how One Piece affects Japan
>>
>>135641249
Replying to yourself with an encouraging post might feel like an out but when it's this obvious it's just kind of pathetic.
>>
>>135641299
>Cry more. Asuakfags aren't mad enough to save spiteshit like you.
Not him but you are the fireposter, right? Aren't you the king of spiteshit?
>>
>>135641205
>>135641308
The argument still stands. That guy is factually incorrect.
>>
>>135641270
Rei is as replaceable as a condom and without her unique background, would be even more boring. But hey, you're the one fellating a shitposter like Rei fellates the Ikaris.
>>
File: fireposter gets BTFO.png (29 KB, 575x144) Image search: [Google]
fireposter gets BTFO.png
29 KB, 575x144
>>135641299
Hi fireposter.
>>
File: not stu.png (333 KB, 632x466) Image search: [Google]
not stu.png
333 KB, 632x466
>>135641345
>Not him
Nice phoneposting.

>>135641367
Fucking called it.
>>
>>135641349
Holy shit, you are one butthurt Asukafag.
>>
>>135640310
This scene always made me a bit sad.
>>
File: 1400885413515.jpg (31 KB, 260x198) Image search: [Google]
1400885413515.jpg
31 KB, 260x198
Is there a fanbase more buthurt then Reifags?
>>
>>135641406
The fireposter PMSes more than Asuka
>>
File: 1404851451304.jpg (337 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1404851451304.jpg
337 KB, 900x1200
so many posts

so few images
>>
>>135641367
>could only manage two words after cellphone samefagging
You're a tragedy.

>>135641406
And of course, the Reifag posting spiteshit isn't? End your life like Robin Williams did.

>>135641433
Not at all, especially not these days after 3.0
>>
File: 1451624476678.png (54 KB, 315x320) Image search: [Google]
1451624476678.png
54 KB, 315x320
>>135641448
>>
>>135641452
I'm >>135641270
and I don't care about Reifags, didn't even mention them in my post.
But you just went ballistic.
>>
File: Asuka is a piece of junk.png (859 KB, 704x1059) Image search: [Google]
Asuka is a piece of junk.png
859 KB, 704x1059
>>135641452
Fuck off fireposter.
>>
File: 1439422927855.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1439422927855.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>135640746
Yeah sure.

>>135640876
It's good sci-fi for an anime at least and it's not doing much wrong in that aspect, it's not even the focus just one of the many things that make Eva up.

We are talking about anime though and for an anime the character depth is stunning. Even side characters like Ritsuko get some focus and development. The characters feel like real people with their own motivations, you can't say that about every anime.
Shinji has subtle development throughout the series.

Yes the cristian imagery may be pointless if you don't dig deep into it (it may be even if you do) but as I said earlier there is other symbolism in NGE.
For example Gendos glasses Rei keps, representing her loyalty and fondness of him.
Peoples hands for their affection and embracement of other people >>135639302

>>135641220
This sadly.
>>
>>135641435
What the hell is this asuka fan guy's problem? Why does he pretend to like Asuka if he can't deal with eva discussion or Asuka being mentioned?
>>
File: 1378510175598.png (7 KB, 316x338) Image search: [Google]
1378510175598.png
7 KB, 316x338
>Reifags stats shitposting unprovoked
>People tell him to fuck off
>Bawww the Asukafags are picking on us bawww
>>
File: LE LITERAL ROFLMAO.gif (7 KB, 490x405) Image search: [Google]
LE LITERAL ROFLMAO.gif
7 KB, 490x405
>>135641509
>WOAH BRO CALM DOWN MAN IM TOTALLY NOT A REIFAG
>However I will not comment on any of the spiteful images and clear bait filenames the Reifag is posting
>>
>>135641604
>Reifags dindu nuffin
>combined with Reifags' unwarranted victim complex
Reifags really are the niggers of the Eva fanbase. It warrants repeating.
>>
>>135641613
okay, you lost me.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 111

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.